Options

Puzzle Quest: Galactrix - Now playing on Steam and the DS

• Options
    El GuacoEl Guaco Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Collecting whites and purples eventually gives you an extra turn and recharges your shields (I forget which does which). The AI is inconsistent. It could have beaten me and left a 3 mine combo worth 25 damage when I had no shields and 6 health.

El Guaco on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    takyris wrote: »
    aBlank wrote: »
    fun demo. I really like that 4 of a kinds don't grant an extra turn anymore. I'll feel a lot less 'cheated' than when the AI manages to chain like 9 of them in a row and destroy me like it does in PQ. The space/direction mechanic will take some getting use too. Only played the demo 3 times, but I couldn't pull off a nova :( Best chain was 3. The descriptions are misleading too, the laser eats a turn. The other 2 abilities struck me as incredibly worthless.

Day 1 regardless :)

Speak for yourself. I was a Druid with Headbutt. Near the end of the game, I was getting annoyed if my enemies got a turn.

Yeah, my entire purpose for playing Puzzle Quest was seeing how I could exploit the system for infinite combos or single-move kills.

Puzzle Quest without a horrendously broken exploitable system just isn't going to be Puzzle Quest. That's like Street Fighter without combos! :(

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    aBlankaBlank Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    AFAIK, there are 3 ways (in the demo) to get an extra turn:

1- Get a 5 in a row
    2- Get 20 purple gems
    3- Get a Super Nova

30 whites give full shields.

Novas (which are basically the heroic efforts of Galactrix) give full gems (or at least, 20 of each since they'll cap you). Super Nova's (which are heroic efforts but take even more cascading matches) give you a turn and takes away all your opponents gems (or at least 20).

The trident laser doesn't continue your turn, and it's max damage is 14 at full mana. Blue's replenish shields.

Only thing I haven't figured out is how mines "level up".

aBlank on
  • Options
    Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    What aBlank said.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    What does 4 of a kind do? Doesn't seem to give you any extra mana or anything.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Other than contributing to Novas, I'm not sure.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'm not sure I'm feeling that great about how much more damage the mines do, especially with how much harder it is to control the gem placement. Also, like someone mentioned, 4 of a kinds are kind of worthless now, especially since it includes groups of 5 or 6 gems as 4 of a kind

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    how is it decided where the replacement gems are coming from? it seems totally random, and that makes this whole thing kind of terrible i dunno.

edit: also the demo says ps3 at the end, so i guess thats still coming out?

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    takyristakyris Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    It's not random. If I remember right, you click two adjacent gems, right? The first gem you click? The direction it goes is the direction the board is going to fill from. That means that for any play, you could have the board fill in two ways (an X-Y swap will either come in from the X direction or the Y direction depending on which you click first to set gravity).

takyris on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Whatever direction you slide the gem in, that's the direction the replacements will slide.

It is not hard to figure out.

edit: beat'd

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    carmofincarmofin Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    how do you beat this fucking asshole?
    I NEED TO KNOW!

carmofin on
    PSN | Steam
    ___
    NNID: carmofin
    3DS: 2852 6971 9745
    Throw me a PM if you add me
  • Options
    carmofincarmofin Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    okay, got him...
    but one thing is clear after this demo, i cant buy this game.
    ever.

carmofin on
    PSN | Steam
    ___
    NNID: carmofin
    3DS: 2852 6971 9745
    Throw me a PM if you add me
  • Options
    DaveTheWaveDaveTheWave Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    In the OP it says there is no PS3 version planned, correct? I didn't read the whole thread but when you beat the demo and the ad for the game comes up there is a PS3 logo at the bottom. Don't think there was a PSP one though. Sorry if this has already been covered.

DaveTheWave on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Somehow I totally missed that blue gems replenish your shield.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I really like that all the gems have some impact on the battle now, even if purple and white are indirect. Exp and gold gems were pretty useless in Puzzle Quest after a while.

From earlier discussions on the game, it sounds like white is also an experience equivalent, used to level up your pilot, and purple is "psi points" used to do things like evade combat on the map.

JonBob on
    jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'm going to have to buy this... I don't know how many times I've played the demo.

And I've gotten my ass kicked a lot (lucky streaks, my stupidity setting up bomb chains for the computer, etc), but I love it.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    JelloblimpJelloblimp Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I have gotten a 4-of-a-kind extra turn, but it was just once out of 30-40 or so four-of-a-kind. Which makes me think its part of a character stat like in old PQ.

Jelloblimp on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    aBlankaBlank Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Jelloblimp wrote: »
    I have gotten a 4-of-a-kind extra turn, but it was just once out of 30-40 or so four-of-a-kind. Which makes me think its part of a character stat like in old PQ.

I'm going to guess it was a 4 of kind of purple gems which put your total over 20. 20 purples = extra turn.

aBlank on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    After playing the demo a few more times, I'm hoping that there is more depth to this game. I realize that a) it's a demo and b) it's another gem matching game. But the demo makes the gameplay rather trivial while you wait for that lucky mine combo for you or your opponent. Since you have the exact same abilities there's no inherent advantage to exploit.

El Guaco on
  • Options
    RolloutRollout Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    JonBob wrote: »
    I really like that all the gems have some impact on the battle now, even if purple and white are indirect. Exp and gold gems were pretty useless in Puzzle Quest after a while.
    Oh, purple gems are oh so useful to knights later on the game, especially with a +5 to all element accessory for every 4-of-a-kind + double purple gem onscreen ability skill. I would have never beaten the last boss without them.

Rollout on
  • Options
    SAW776SAW776 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    El Guaco wrote: »
    After playing the demo a few more times, I'm hoping that there is more depth to this game. I realize that a) it's a demo and b) it's another gem matching game. But the demo makes the gameplay rather trivial while you wait for that lucky mine combo for you or your opponent. Since you have the exact same abilities there's no inherent advantage to exploit.

I'm assuming it will be at least as diverse as PQ was, if not more so. With almost all builds, the amount of luck involved in the matches definitely decreased. Almost all classes allowed you to control the board in some fashion, and that's where the strategy comes from--shaping the chaos rather than praying that it goes your way.

SAW776 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PSN: SAW776
  • Options
    CampionCampion Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Getting 30 white gems doesn't just give full shields, it gives you 5 more shield points as well. Or at least it did when I got them. Even had a spiffy thing saying shields reinforced or something like that.

Campion on
    4484-7718-8470
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Campion wrote: »
    Getting 30 white gems doesn't just give full shields, it gives you 5 more shield points as well. Or at least it did when I got them. Even had a spiffy thing saying shields reinforced or something like that.

Good to know. Maybe I'll try to update the OP with this kind of info.

Edit: OP updated. Let me know if I missed anything important.

El Guaco on
  • Options
    JelloblimpJelloblimp Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    aBlank wrote: »
    Jelloblimp wrote: »

I'm going to guess it was a 4 of kind of purple gems which put your total over 20. 20 purples = extra turn.
    ...dohh forgot about that thing, that was probably it.

Jelloblimp on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up. MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The full version demo has me much more excited about it than the flash demo...
    now... 360 or DS. hrmm.

Zephos on
    Xbox One/360: Penguin McCool
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    What's that you say? Full version demo?

http://www.bigdownload.com/games/puzzle-quest-galactrix/pc/puzzle-quest-galactrix-demo/

OP update, stat!

JonBob on
    jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    holy

YES

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Oh god.

There's a trading component.

This is going to be Escape Velocity with puzzles. I am so screwed.

JonBob on
  • Options
    CampionCampion Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Heck yeah, downloading thiiiiis.

Campion on
    4484-7718-8470
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    That was fucking excellent.

Crafting/mining/hacking was fun. Sure, they're carbon copies of the original PQ minigames but the new hex mechanic really makes them feel brand new.

Trading was cool too, though you can only trade with one port in the demo. Scroll over the starmap - goddamn this game is big.

The story and setting is pretty interesting. Not super well written, but that's fine. It's not like I was expecting KOTOR 3 or anything. And it's even got some cool ideas. I strongly get the impression of a kitchen-sink mentality. "Psionic powers? Sure, why not? Creepy bioexperiments - sure! Chuck those Megacorps in too. Arch space-villain narrator with slightly poor voice-over? Yep."

It's a very pretty game which is very fun and looks huge.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Heck, the story in the original PQ wasn't much more than a placeholder that let you do "Go here and kill X" over and over and over. I didn't give a shit about the story; it was still a fantastic game that I poured hours into.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Right - but even so, this feels like a huge improvement.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Didn't they hire some actual writers this time around? Ah well, I know the story ultimately doesn't matter, but it's just one more thing that'll likely keep me addicted for months.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Yeah, they hired a professional. It comes across as like - the setting and atmosphere is really cool, the plot has a lot of potential, and the missions are looking great - but the writing of the actual dialogue is about the same as the original PQ. I'm fine with that, incidentally, and who knows - it might get better as you get more into the game.

Also I want to say again - man are the portraits and backgrounds gorgeous. Really nicely designed. Seeing a planet wheeling in the background while hacking was just lovely.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    SniperLogicSniperLogic ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Sooooooo...when does that new-fangled DS come out? I'm still rocking a phat and have decided to hold off until this next "upgrade" comes out.

My toddler scratched the hell out of my phat, so I would like to play this on a "fresh" screen when it comes out.

SniperLogic on
    Steam/PSN: StandrdDeviation
    BNet: StandrdError#1826
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009

That view of some planet, with the camera flying in circles... awesome!

(it's not working for me)

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    IdolNinjaIdolNinja Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The hacking is pretty interesting. It's weird having to think opposite and try not to cause any chains since it can really eat away time.

Quest spoiler:
    Also, the quest to hunt down rogue telepaths totally gave me a Babylon 5 psi-corp vibe. :^:

IdolNinja on
  • Options
    ChewyWafflesChewyWaffles Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Argh I keep seeing a Hexic board!!!

EDIT: OP is wrong. There's a Playstation 3 logo there on the list of platforms.

ChewyWaffles on
    mwf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    RoxtarRoxtar Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Roxtar on
  • Options
    ChrisDudeChrisDude Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Shadowfire wrote: »

That view of some planet, with the camera flying in circles... awesome!

(it's not working for me)

I'm having the same problem, it says Loading for a second and then there's just a backdrop of space and a planet, presumably where a menu should be. Also there's no sound. Time to shoot some troubles!

ChrisDude on
    Chris Pennell Is A Huge Nerd - My blog. I talk about nerd-ish things a lot.