As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Conduit: Wii FPS and graphics engine [56k go to hell!]

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Darmak wrote: »
    Or they're too fast.

Nope. Definitely too slow. :)

urahonky on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Maybe we're so fast we're slow. :P

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Fuck. You just blew my mind.

urahonky on
  • Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    If this is not 60FPS, then it is a failure.

TelMarine on
    3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Shadow of the Colussus has the advantage of having the dramatic moments and the moments where the fps drop tend to be the same, resulting in epic slowdown.

jothki on
  • Options
    ArdeArde Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    This looks pretty good. Has a half-life + Metroid Prime vibe to it.

Check out the new trailer in the article:
    http://wii.ign.com/articles/874/874796p1.html

Arde on
    Wii code:3004 5525 7274 3361
    XBL Gametag: mailarde

Screen Digest LOL3RZZ
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Hmm... It's got more of a Perfect Dark vibe to me. But that's not a bad thing.

urahonky on
  • Options
    GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    i wish the picture was bigger...but it looks relatively promising. i just hope this isn't red steel all over again.

Guek on
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Bugs, why'd it have to be bugs?

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I never played red steel. Was it really as awful as people said it was?

Also, were it's graphics as good as the screenshots? Because the first screenshots they released looked better than just about every wii games yet.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited May 2008

Also, were it's graphics as good as the screenshots? Because the first screenshots they released looked better than just about every wii games yet.

Pretty much.
    Pretty much.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    CyrixdCyrixd Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I didn't watch the new trailer on IGN, but I'm disappointed no one posted the tech demo. It does look much better in motion.

High Voltage Quantum3 Tech Demo

EDIT: Just watched the trailer- man that looks fun! I'll definitely be keeping on eye on this to see how it shapes up.

Cyrixd on
    Nintendo ID/PSN: CyrixD
    SteamID: FronWewq
    Battle.net: Orange#1845
    3DS Friend Code: 1289-9498-5797
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    The demo video is in the OP.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Well, I didn't see it, so I bet like, no one else did.

Anyways, embedding is cool.

Cyrixd on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Cyrixd wrote: »

Anyways, embedding is cool.

I did, and there are people talking about it on the first page.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    And now we've wasted four posts, plus my initial mistake, discussing it. Happy?

Anyways, the trailer is very neat, and I recommend anyone interested check that out.

Cyrixd on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    And now we've wasted four posts, plus my initial mistake, discussing it. Happy?

Anyways, the trailer is very neat, and I recommend anyone interested check that out.

I am, in fact, not happy.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    DelinatorDelinator Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    If the controls are at least as good as in Metroid Prime 3 I will buy this.

Delinator on
  • Options
    MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    That tech video demo is impressive.

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Options
    PadrePadre Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I think that the game looks very good, but did anyone besides me think that the dialog needed a little work?

"About damn time."

I actually laughed when he said that.

Padre on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Padre wrote: »
    I think that the game looks very good, but did anyone besides me think that the dialog needed a little work?

"About damn time."

3D realms should just publish this as Duke Nukem Forever.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Much better looking than the screenshots, though I gotta say, all I can think of is "oh hey, somebody else finally matched Prime 3."

Not that that's a bad thing, but it's not revolutionary. Maybe it'll be more FPS-y.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'm watching the video now, and I'll add it to the OP. I'm not sure how to do the embedded video, but if I can't figure it out I can just link it.

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    JihadJesus wrote: »
    I'm watching the video now, and I'll add it to the OP. I'm not sure how to do the embedded video, but if I can't figure it out I can just link it.

That's what you do :P. Just make a link to the youtube video, and it'll come up embedded.

Even if they're 'just matching MP3' (or maybe falling short), it's nice to see it from a third-party, especially when they have plans to license the engine out (right?).
    Fuga wrote: »
    wow, small ego?

wow, sarcasm?

Jesus, I didn't notice a small link in the OP, so I thought I'd be helpful by making it easier for everyone else to see. I didn't realize that was so offensive.

Cyrixd on
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    wow, small ego?

anyway, this game is ugly fugly.

Have people considered that it might be ok if it has lesser textures if it makes up for in gameplay? I'm going to give this one the benefit of the doubt because some of the odd weapons in this game. I really do hate the whole "lets focus on graphics" and let the story/gameplay/enjoyment factor dwindle.

If they could pull off a game that was fun as golden eye, I would so be there for that.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    trailer looks good. but it looks like it's missing something. that something taken out gives it enough power for the rest of the graphics to look good.

it dunno... atmosphere? The air seems to clean and empty.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Hey, conspiracy elements, alien invasion, and one-man army? It's interesting, if a little cliche'd.

I'm getting a Halo-meets-Goldeneye vibe from this, personally.

Elaro on
    Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    JihadJesus wrote: »

That's what you do :P. Just make a link to the youtube video, and it'll come up embedded.

Even if they're 'just matching MP3' (or maybe falling short), it's nice to see it from a third-party, especially when they have plans to license the engine out (right?).
    wow, small ego?

wow, sarcasm?

Jesus, I didn't notice a small link in the OP, so I thought I'd be helpful by making it easier for everyone else to see. I didn't realize that was so offensive.
    No, I agree with you, I just thought the sentence I quoted was being said with full seriousness.. :P

Ohh alright, sarcasm is hard to convey across a message board. :)

Seems like a few new people saw the video since I reposted it, so maybe I was actually helpful!

Cyrixd on
  • Options
    SparrowSparrow Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Have they found a publisher for this game yet or are they still working on that? :P

Sparrow on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Probably, they've got a lot of offers.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I hope they throw the engine to a lot of companies, personally. Its got some great sounding features, and could probably look really, really good with a good art style.

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008

It was essentially trash, but the multiplayer offered up a few nights of fun, so long as you didn't take it too seriously.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    ZombieXZombieX Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Padre wrote: »

"About damn time."

Funny, watching the trailer made me think of the old DNF trailer

ZombieX on
    Undead+Hero%20X.png
  • Options
    JorilJoril BelgiumRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    The engine looks pretty solid for it to be on Wii, if only more companies would want to go all the way on the wii. Hack it's system and scrape the bottom of the barrel.

Anyway, this engine and the right art-direction could be pretty good. But that goes for essentially everything, now doesn't it?

Joril on
    bonesnacksig.jpg
  • Options
    RichardTauberRichardTauber Kvlt Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Have people considered that it might be ok if it has lesser textures if it makes up for in gameplay? I'm going to give this one the benefit of the doubt because some of the odd weapons in this game. I really do hate the whole "lets focus on graphics" and let the story/gameplay/enjoyment factor dwindle.

If they could pull off a game that was fun as golden eye, I would so be there for that.

Too bad the developers haven't really been talking about the innovative gameplay features. Personally I think this looks like early ps2 rubbish basically. Well, not quite, but it's hardly a step up from gamecube graphics.

RichardTauber on
  • Options
    tarnoktarnok Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

It was essentially trash, but the multiplayer offered up a few nights of fun, so long as you didn't take it too seriously.

I don't get all the hate that RS gets around here. It was not a bad game. By the same token there wasn't anything great about it, but it wasn't bad. There aren't any game breaking bugs (that I'm aware of anyway, and I've played the whole thing through twice), the controls work, you shoot a bunch of dudes. I just don't understand the hate.

tarnok on
    Wii Code:
    0431-6094-6446-7088
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    urahonky wrote: »
    Nah, not a bad person. But going from the shitstorm (FPS wise) that was Shadow of the Colossus and putting in Mario Galaxy made it so hard to go back and play SotC.

It's funny, I noticed it the framerate but the idea of it being a downer never occurred to me, if sort of added to the dream-like feeling of the game to me.

(Heck, I didn't even know it was a frame-rate drop until the internet complained.)

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    tarnok wrote: »

I don't get all the hate that RS gets around here. It was not a bad game. By the same token there wasn't anything great about it, but it wasn't bad. There aren't any game breaking bugs (that I'm aware of anyway, and I've played the whole thing through twice), the controls work, you shoot a bunch of dudes. I just don't understand the hate.

Too much hype for such an average game

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Raslin wrote: »
    tarnok wrote: »

Too much hype for such an average game

Too much hype, yes. And people were expecting ZOMG 1:1 SWORDDFITING WHUT IT DOSNT HAEV ONE:ONE ZOMG ITS A PIEECE OF SHIT

If you can forgive the fact that the sword fighting isn't one to one it becomes less of a "total piece of shit" and more of a merely mediocre game. Kind of like if you let slide the hype behind the Killzone game on the PS2 you will find a mediocre but playable game. It's just that hyping these things up sets expectations really high, and then when they are not nearly met, they get heavily trashed.

slash000 on
  • Options
    Dareth RamDareth Ram regular
    edited May 2008
    I didn't think much of it earlier, but the Conduit looks like it would be pretty damn fun.

As for Red Steel, the one thing I liked is if you held your gun closer to the screen, things would zoom in. No one else has really done that, which is unfortunate, because I found it really convenient and natural.

Other then that, yeah, mediocre.

Dareth Ram on