As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

CONTRACT - getting good reviews. What are your opinions? [images, mildly nsfw]

• Options
    MAD!MAD! Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    smokmnky wrote: »
    Mad, finally picked up issue 1. Must say I enjoyed it and can I please ask that you have Kevin Sharpe do more? His art was by far my favorite of the whole issue. Anyway nice job on the first issue.

Thanks Smokmnky ! Kevin Sharpe does some great stuff and is actually doing the penciling of the Jessie Garrett one shot. So you will get a whole issue of Sharpe goodness! :winky:

MAD! on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I thought this was interesting to note.
    I've caught alot of flack from the SUPER SIZED cover. However I own a comic shop and I have the Guns Blazing and Super Sized cover side by side on the shelf.
    Guess which one I've sold the most of. Thats right. Super Sized wins hands down. WOMEN pick it over the Guns blazing. I have waited until after the customers have purchased the book and asked them why they chose that cover. Nearly everyone of them says something to the effect of "It's funny"

MAD! on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Boobs and boob jokes win every time. :P

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Issue #2 hits shelves tomorrow (Aug 27th) So be sure and let me know what you think.

MAD! on
  • Options
    smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Mentioned it in the New Comics thread, better not let me down :).

smokmnky on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    smokmnky wrote: »
    Mentioned it in the New Comics thread, better not let me down :).

Thanks smokmnky, Ill try my best! :lol:

By they way everyone, some fans have started up a CONTRACT FANSITE!
    How cool is that? Its just in the beginning stages but it warms me heart. <3

E-Mail Address:
    CONTRACT.Contacts@Yahoo.Com
    E-Group Address:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CONTRACT-Contacts/
    http://www.geocities.com/contract.contacts/

MAD! on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    CONTRACT #2 is now on comic shelves. Be sure to stop by your local comic shop and if they don't have issues 1 and 2, (after you chastise them :lol: ) be sure to have them place a reorder for you.

contract01supsize.jpgcontractalrio01cover.jpg
    contcover2.jpgContractcover3.jpg

MAY083541 CONTRACT #1
    JUN083608 CONTRACT #2
    JUL083607 CONTRACT #3

And if you managed to snag some CONTRACT issues please shoot us an email at fansalvo@gmail.com and tell us what you thought.

And if its OK to print the letter please state OK TO PRINT!

Its the fans and retailers out there that make a successful book so I sincerely thank guys and gals for taking the time.

MAD! on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Sketch Magazine just did and interview with me too. I think it is in issue #36

MAD! on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Forgot to mention that I read #2. It's still pretty good so far but the story didn't advance as far as I thought it would. I'm assuming the last issue is going to be packed with all the revelations and ass-kickery. Also, I approve of the gratuitous nature of the backup story. :P

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice? Really?Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I got #0 last week end. I will be trying to find 1 and 2 this week end. The little part of the story I did read got my attention.

Toxic Toys on
    3DS code: 2938-6074-2306, Nintendo Network ID: ToxicToys, PSN: zutto
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    wwtMask wrote: »
    Forgot to mention that I read #2. It's still pretty good so far but the story didn't advance as far as I thought it would. I'm assuming the last issue is going to be packed with all the revelations and ass-kickery. Also, I approve of the gratuitous nature of the backup story. :P

Great comments Mask. I would like to ask, how far did you think the second book would (or should have) advance the story?
    And feel free to compare to another recent book that is out, perhaps a SI or similar (cause I'm trying to keep current with those) so that I can get a idea of what you as a reader were looking for.

LOL! I want to see if the backup gets any of that whiplash that the cover did. But people would have to pick up and read the book for that. LOL!

Yeah it was gratuitous BUT it served my purpose of telling a bit about the characters personality's, expanding on a background character like Ellison, and I figured that it shows you a bit of the relationship the Rangers share as well. Friendly practical jokes and so forth.

MAD! on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Mainly I thought that the big bad would reveal him/herself at the end of the issue. The last issue would then have him/her explain their motives, and then we'd get a fight sequence and then maybe a chase and then the bad guy would get taken out.

wwtMask on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Mainly I thought that the big bad would reveal him/herself at the end of the issue. The last issue would then have him/her explain their motives, and then we'd get a fight sequence and then maybe a chase and then the bad guy would get taken out.

Ahhh I see where you are viewing it from now.
    Well without giving anything away the story isn't about who, why etc. It is about fullfilling the contracted job. At the end of the day its not about "solving the crime" and bringing the "villains to justice," THAT is a whole different Contract.

Thanks Mask you bought up a great point!

MAD! on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Here is the cover for the Upcoming TSUMI One Shot drawn by Archenemies artist Yvel Guichet and colored by Danimation.

Tsumicover.jpg

What do you guys and gals think?

MAD! on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Oh yeah the Diamond order code for this book is : AUG083672

MAD! on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Besides Mask and Smokmnky are there any other forum members reading CONTRACT?
    Have you seen it on your LCS shelves?

MAD! on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Good cover there. I'll probably check it out.

wwtMask on
  • Options
    ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2008
    MAD! wrote: »

i have in fact seen it on the shelves, but i haven't yet picked it up.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Servo wrote: »

i have in fact seen it on the shelves, but i haven't yet picked it up.

Well glad to hear that it is at least on shelves. I was always worried that it wouldn't be ordered by LCS 's because its an Indy title. But it seems that more and more shops are giving it a try. Thanks for the info Servo.
    What shops have you seen it at?

MAD! on
  • Options
    GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited September 2008
    I read it and my local comic shop has it prominently displayed on the shelf.

Oh, I'll be coming by around lunchtime today. See you there.

Grifter on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Grifter, if you weren't able to find it at your LCS, I think that would have been pretty ironic. :P

wwtMask on
  • Options
    GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited September 2008
    Grifter, if you weren't able to find it at your LCS, I think that would have been pretty ironic. :P

Actually, the poor guy gets his own books after they're on the shelf everywhere else due to the shipping issues that he has to deal with here. So, ironically, he gets his own books in his shop a week or two after they are on shelves everywhere else and has to rely on other people to find out about printing issues.

Grifter on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Grifter wrote: »

Actually, the poor guy gets his own books after they're on the shelf everywhere else due to the shipping issues that he has to deal with here. So, ironically, he gets his own books in his shop a week or two after they are on shelves everywhere else and has to rely on other people to find out about printing issues.

Yeah it sucks :P
    AUSTRALIA gets it before we do!

MAD! on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Seriously, who cares about Bermuda? :P

wwtMask on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Seriously, who cares about Bermuda? :P

Its funny cause its true D:

MAD! on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    We are also setting up a new CONTRACT website. Make sure you bookmark us

www.contractcomic.com

MAD! on
  • Options
    Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice? Really?Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

www.contractcomic.com

Damn you. Give us a heads up when it's live. I would buy issuses from you.

Toxic Toys on
    3DS code: 2938-6074-2306, Nintendo Network ID: ToxicToys, PSN: zutto
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Toxic Toys wrote: »

www.contractcomic.com

Damn you. Give us a heads up when it's live. I would buy issuses from you.

Well the CONTRACT website will feature background info, character bios, behind the scenes sketches and so forth. And we are looking to have links to online websites as well where the books can be purchased.
    (DCBS for example is offing the Jessie One shot at a special discount.)
    http://www.dcbservice.com/search.aspx?search=contract%20solo
    But We are not selling the issues personally as I would have to wait to get the issues here in Bermuda and then have to ship them out again which just isnt cost effective.
    Really its better to get the issues from your LCS because if they notice more people are ordering the book hopefully they will bring in a few for the shelves and then we can continue putting out books to meet demand.
    But thanks for the support and many indy comics do benefit from direct sales, we however are not one of them (unfortunately).

MAD! on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    CONTRACT #3 hits shelves this Wednesday (Sept 24th)

MAD! on
  • Options
    VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Grifter wrote: »

Yeah it sucks :P
    AUSTRALIA gets it before we do!

Hey! I resent the accuracy of that sarcastic statement :P

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    CONTRACT#3 is now out! This is the final in the first 3 part mini.

Contractcover3.jpg

I want to hear some feedback. Let me know what you thought of the Issue and the overall story .
    Thanks all!

MAD! on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    hummm.. crickets...
    Seriously no one has any comments?

MAD! on
  • Options
    kouter01kouter01 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Perhaps its so good that they're all... speechless??? :lol:

kouter01 on
    contractbarfinal.png
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited October 2008
    I don't know, but if you're going to bump the thread, at least bump it with content

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    A preview might be nice.

Or are those already available elsewhere?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Aint gonna lie, I totally forgot to grab #3 when I was at the shop last week. Hopefully they'll have 1 or 2 left when I go in tomorrow

smokmnky on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I used to have a preview pages on here. Guess it was a previous thread. Also If you click on my signature it will take you to a black and white preview.
    But here is a Color Preview from the First issue.
    Imagine a world without taxes. Nice huh?
    Now picture a world without the things taxes provide: No police, no fire service, no military, no Government. Still liking it?
    Wait, it gets better.
    Now envision everything that was provided by the Government farmed out to the private sector.

Welcome to a dark future of capitalism, where Mercenary is no longer just a soldier for hire, but a way of life. Cyber-powered Mercs lay down the law in this world where life and death is decided by the lowest bidder. Concepts of right and wrong have become a novelty. Jessie Garrett, however, is everything most Mercs are not - honest, selfless and determined to bring order to a greed-hardened world driven mad by money. She and her crew of misfits take the contracts most won't, but with their damaged pasts can they get the job done at all?

CONTRACT0copy.jpg
    contract01web-1.jpg
    contract02web.jpg
    contract03web.jpg
    contract04web.jpg
    contract05web.jpg
    contract06web.jpg

MAD! on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Haven't been to the shop in a couple of weeks, may not go until next week either.

wwtMask on
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Picked up #3 today.

I actually really liked the whole mini. Its not really something I'd give to my non-big into comic like friends like I do with some of the OMFG amazing stuff, but it was a good read with excellent art and a well written story. I think since I ordered some issues my local shop owner got a little curious about it, so he might be getting them for himself soon.

Bucketman on
  • Options
    kouter01kouter01 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Picked up #3 today.

I actually really liked the whole mini. Its not really something I'd give to my non-big into comic like friends like I do with some of the OMFG amazing stuff, but it was a good read with excellent art and a well written story. I think since I ordered some issues my local shop owner got a little curious about it, so he might be getting them for himself soon.

Thanks Bucketman, we really appreciate your feedback and we're glad you enjoyed the read. Hope you stay tuned for the oneshots and the next mini :D

kouter01 on
    contractbarfinal.png