Options

Stupid shit people do with their kids

• Options
    CrackedLensCrackedLens Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Shorty wrote: »
    trentsteel wrote: »
    Yeah, I heard one guy's theory as to why there are so many little fuckers around. Basically being told "You are special" with no qualifying factor makes kids think they don't have to be good at anything or put any effort into anything because they are special no matter what. Whatever 'special' means.

this is why I think The Incredibles is one of the best children's movies of all time

the message is that you are special if you work for it

and that by declaring that everyone is special

you are really saying that no-one is

fuck yes incredibles

CrackedLens on
    XBoxLive Gamertag: ZombieKyle Secret Satan Wishlist
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Blaket wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure in here we don't congratulate anyone for being shit.

thank fucking christ for that

I take comfort in the fact that if I'm being retarded in here, someone will probably point it out

Shorty on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Yeah, I heard one guy's theory as to why there are so many little fuckers around. Basically being told "You are special" with no qualifying factor makes kids think they don't have to be good at anything or put any effort into anything because they are special no matter what. Whatever 'special' means.

this is why I think The Incredibles is one of the best children's movies of all time

fuck yes incredibles

it was, for lack of a better term, incredible

everyone who saw that movie owes Brad Bird at least three rimjobs

Shorty on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

fuck yes incredibles

it was, for lack of a better term, incredible

everyone who saw that movie owes Brad Bird at least three rimjobs

Man I've seen that movie like 8 times.

I'm going to need like a pack of mints.

Blake T on
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

I take comfort in the fact that if I'm being retarded in here, someone will probably point it out

It's more likely that you're not being retarded and people give you shit anyway, but I far prefer this.

L|ama on
  • Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    god damn libertarians up in this thread!

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I do not understand how it is possible for someone to think that is a good way to rear a child

for them to look at adversity and say, "oh, guess that was never meant to be"

it goes against the most basic laws of nature

Shorty on
  • Options
    BearstranautBearstranaut Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I would like to know what we plan on doing about the mentally handicapped.

I am against them.

Bearstranaut on
    You ever try and draw Falcor as a giant dong? No? It just ends up looking like a long cyclops.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Skull ManSkull Man RIP KUSU Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I guess your kid is going to be a problem then

isn't that kind of thing hereditary

Skull Man on
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2008
    Parents who coddle their screaming hellspawn infuriate me.
    No
    Your kid does not have to scream in a store
    If they don't know how to behave in public, get them the fuck out of here, don't just give them shit to shut them up

Me Too! on
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Skull Man wrote: »
    I guess your kid is going to be a problem then

isn't that kind of thing hereditary

Bam!

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Lol! wrote: »
    Parents who coddle their screaming hellspawn infuriate me.
    No
    Your kid does not have to scream in a store
    If they don't know how to behave in public, get them the fuck out of here, don't just give them shit to shut them up

This

Kids think they are invincible nowadays, and they fucking well are.

I did, however, see a lady smack her 5 year old son at my work, I could not get the grin off my face.

Unfortunately I had to listen to him blubber about "Being sorry" because he still wanted the fucking candy

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

Im pretty sure that if someone around here isnt yelling at you about somthing then you are doing it wrong.

Bedlam on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Bedlam wrote: »

Im pretty sure that if someone around here isnt yelling at you about somthing then you are doing it wrong.

or you're a chick

which is the same thing, really

Skull Man on
  • Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I hate when parents let their kids run around at 100 MPH and then look at me all pissed off when they almost run into me. HOW DARE I STOP FOR A MINUTE TO BROWSE SOME DVDS!

STATE OF THE ART ROBOT on
  • Options
    mastmanmastman Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I hate when parents let their kids run around at 100 MPH and then look at me all pissed off when they almost run into me. HOW DARE I STOP FOR A MINUTE TO BROWSE SOME DVDS!

L2dropkick

mastman on
    ByalIX8.png
    B.net: Kusanku
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    mastman wrote: »

L2dropkick

Just a fucking kick right in the jaw would do it.

• Options
    KilljoyKilljoy __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2008
    what is up with all of you?

i bet you don't even smile at babies in strollers

Killjoy on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    NO BECAUSE THE STUPID STROLLER IS IN MY WAY GAAAA

LOOK I HATE KIDS GAAAAA

RAWR SPIT HISS

Skull Man on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Killjoy wrote: »
    what is up with all of you?

i bet you don't even smile at babies in strollers

Well this is a thread about people who do (and let their kids do) stupid shit with their kids.

• Options
    KajustaKajusta Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Fuck the kids.

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
  • Options
    DadouwDadouw Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I was the best kid

Dadouw on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Dadouw wrote: »
    I was the best kid

Filthy Liar.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Koshian wrote: »
    the best way to raise children is to beat them into submission and tell them they're worthless shit daily
    Hey, it's how I was raised.

Blake T on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I was the best kid

Filthy Liar.

I was always smiling without acknowledging

Dadouw on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I was the best kid

Filthy Liar.

Still a filthy liar.

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Kajusta wrote: »
    Fuck the kids.
    Why don't you have a seat over here.

Bedlam on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I was the best kid

Filthy Liar.

I wasnt cool or handsome or smart

Still a filthy liar.

8-)

Dadouw on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Apparently a lot of the things my parents, especially my father, taught me and the way in which they taught me these things count as "abuse" these days.

Example:
    I was 3. I liked to play with lighters. This was stupid, and dangerous. It was innocent, really. They were colorful and fire looked pretty. So I kept swiping my parents' lighters and playing with them, and when they kept taking them from me, I started hiding to play with them.
    This is stupidly motherfucking dangerous, of course, it means when I finally get the actual lighter to work I'll be in a closet or something and burn the whole house down. Plus I had no concept that fire was bad or could hurt anyone.

My grandfather suggested to my parents that I simply needed "a good crack on the ass" (hitting was his solution to most problems with children) but my parents were very much against that idea. My mother didn't want to ever have to hit her children, and my father (rightly) understood that would just make me fear getting caught instead of making me stop doing it, I'd just get sneakier.

So, instead, one day my father takes one of those Bic lighters and, with me out of sight, lights it and turns it upside down so the metal tip of it heats up to motherfucking hot. He then leaves it on the kitchen table, and goes to start cooking.

I enter the kitchen a little bit later, and I see an unattended pretty blue lighter on the table. I reach for it, and my dad sees me and is like "No. Don't touch that. It is hot."

I look at him, watch to see if he's gonna stop me, and then try to grab it anyway.

I burn my hand. For the first time in my tiny life, I experience the fucking pain of burning. Naturally, being a new and unexpected pain, it is the most painful thing ever and I scream and cry. My father scoops me up, checks the burn (it's extremely minor), runs it under water, calms me down.

He picks up the lighter, shows it to me and says "See? Hot! Don't touch!"

He then walks over to the stove and shows me the orange burner "This is hot. Do you want to touch it?"
    I am like no way!

So he puts me down and says "So, when we tell you it is hot, do not touch it, okay?" and I said okay.

The fact that I have vivid memories of this event when I was 3 years old means it was a pretty effective lesson, I'd say.

But apparently, some people see that as abusive parenting.

Pony on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Man if we weren't meant to learn through pain we wouldn't feel it, right?

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I am thoroughly convinced that I will drill my children into being well behaved polite children.

If an adult wandered up to them and told them to hold their breath you better believe they will turn purple.

Blake T on
  • Options
    ZombotZombot Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'll teach my kids to eat healthy but leaving a Snickers bar under a box that's been propped open by a stick.
    When they reach for the candy, I'll trap them in the box then say "that's what you get for being a fatty mcfat fat."

Zombot on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    My parents never really hit me as a kid, and I turned out alright. They didn't need to do it, because my parents were big on reward-based systems.

So, denying privelages or saying "Well, now you don't get..." was pretty effective. Especially when I was really young because we lived in a townhouse complex full of kids my age and I loved to go outside and play, so being grounded was torture.

Plus, as a child I was terrified of my father and the fear that one day I would push him so far that he would actually raise his hand against me kept me in line.

Pony on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I am thoroughly convinced that I will drill my children into being well behaved polite children.

If an adult wandered up to them and told them to hold their breath you better believe they will turn purple.

My parents used to drill into my head "If a person can't explain why you should or should not do something, they probably don't have a valid reason and you shouldn't listen to them."

This meant my parents never got to use "Because I said so!" as a reason for anything, because sometimes they'd try and I'd be like "Ah! But you said..."

And then they'd be like "...fuck."

That attitude meant I made a lot of my own choices and didn't take a lot of shit as a kid, but it also gave me some disciplinary issues in elementary school because I wouldn't accept arbitrary rules.

Pony on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I was spanked a bit as a kid.

Personally I have no resentment from my parents for doing it.

I still remember the day they stopped though.

I was 8ish and I was in trouble for some absolutely petty bullshit and I was spanked.

I didn't say a word of flinch during the entire thing and as soon as I was released I turned around and went, "You spanked me for that?"

And of course I was spanked again. Again though I didn't flinch or say anything.

This time though I just looked (I think it was my mum) dead in the eye, and didn't say a word for about 4 seconds and then I wandered off.

Blake T on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I was the best kid

Filthy Liar.

I wasnt cool or handsome or smart

Still a filthy liar.

8-)

Such a filthy liar.

• Options
    edited May 2008
    Closest my dad ever came to hitting me was when I was 14.

He tried talking to me about my problems at school and my life and stuff and I shut him out and it led to an argument.

And I did the stupid teenager "Fuck you, old man, I ain't gotta take your shit anymore!" thing and I took a swing at him.

Wow was that a terrible idea. He blocked it effortlessly and put me up against a fucking wall a foot off the ground.

He told me the only time I'll ever have to pull off taking a shot at him is when he's old enough to be shitting his own pants, and that if I ever try something like that again he's putting my head through a wall.

It was like I was 8 years old again and simultaneously being terrified of and adoring my father for being dangerous and slightly insane.

Pony on
  • Options
    KajustaKajusta Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Bedlam wrote: »
    Kajusta wrote: »
    Fuck the kids.
    Why don't you have a seat over here.

I'm not saying fuck the kids.

I'm saying fuck the kids.

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    After a while though I just became immune to physical punishment and wouldn't take any real punishment they could dish out like, "You are grounded".

Eventually they figured out that I like to be driven places and liked money. So they would withhold my pocket money. But then they'd just deduct money for no real reason, and I stopped caring about getting pocket money. Now that I'm older I think they may of been short of money those weeks. But if my parents went to me, look we are short money we can't figure out a way to give you pocket money this month I think I would of been ok with it. I just resented the fact that they just refused to pay it for such bullshit reasons.

Blake T on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I have to agree with folks though that spanking doesn't do anything positive for a kid.

DarkPrimus on