As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

David Bowie Appreciation Thread

• Options
    StarStar Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    WIBW was fun, Spec. I totally found that opening and I'm glad you let me come back with you. We should have explored the old hospital stuff one of those days, I don't know why I was being such a pansy. We need to find some more places to explore. Tunnels soonish and maybe we'll have to road trip to something cool. (Like that abandoned asylum that was on MTVs FEAR) that place was in Kansas City dun dun dun!

Also - what he didn't upload a picture of or mention was that he ALSO screamed like a little girl over a skink we found going into that basement he had to talk me into going down.

Star on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Man, I don't think I'd handle dark buildings very well. Maybe I can convince some people I know to go to the one you sent me before. I don't think I could even do that by myself.

Go with a girl, pack a picnic.

Where was my picnic.

Star on
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    ]

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Star wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Man, I don't think I'd handle dark buildings very well. Maybe I can convince some people I know to go to the one you sent me before. I don't think I could even do that by myself.

Go with a girl, pack a picnic.

Where was my picnic.

I think that a picnic in a wet, smelly building is not as charming as one outdoors.

We could have had one out in the Governor's Mansion somewhere the first day we went, ya jerk. :P

Star on
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    ]

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    JRoseyJRosey Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    That was intense.

JRosey on
  • Options
    ArdeArde Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    This is awesome - pretty much like doing adventure games in real life, cept it's real and there's no puzzle to solve. :D

Arde on
    Wii code:3004 5525 7274 3361
    XBL Gametag: mailarde

Screen Digest LOL3RZZ
  • Options
    edited November 2011

]

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    ]

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Burn it down just to be sure! Sure, you might kill some hobos but you might also prevent the zombie outbreak.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    ]

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Burn it down just to be sure! Sure, you might kill some hobos but you might also prevent the zombie outbreak.

But...it's going to be destroyed next week anyhow.
    But not with fire.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    ]

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    XtarathXtarath Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

But...it's going to be destroyed next week anyhow.
    But not with fire.

Look, I'm not going back there. Ever.

If we all die from the zombie outbreak, I'll kill you.

Xtarath on
  • Options
    gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    That was horrifying. D:

gilrain on
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    ]

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    ]

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    XenosX_XenosX_ Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    TehSpectre, that sounds completely insane. Of course, you may never know if it was indeed a rotting human body or just an unfortunate raccoon or other small animal who was trapped there at some point. I'm back home from college, so I may do some more exploring at some point if I can find the time. I know for a fact there are no easily accessible abandoned buildings or drainage pipe systems near my college, so this is probably the only chance I will have for a while. Hopefully, I'll be able to get some better pictures or even videos of the locations I had prior posted about.

XenosX_ on
  • Options
    AJAlkaline40AJAlkaline40 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009
    Now that I'm living at the University of Illinois at Chicago I would love trying to go down here: http://www.infiltration.org/uic/

However, I have no idea when I would go or how I would get in without anyone noticing.

AJAlkaline40 on
    idiot.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Man I don't know how any of you fuckers do this. I wouldn't be able to go anywhere without being armed in someway, and that would just get me shot by an overzealous security guard.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I would totally do this if I knew where to go. I went with a buddy to an abandoned sharecropper's farm a few months ago, but a cop saw our car parked and came over to ask us what we were doing. Luckily, I had my camera and press pass, so I just told him we were writing a feature on the old farm. Not sure how many times that will work though.

It may have been mentioned here already, but is there a place I can go for a good list? I haven't been in Columbus, GA long enough to know any places by heart that are not well known already.

Mr Pink on
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    ]

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Mr Pink wrote: »
    I would totally do this if I knew where to go. I went with a buddy to an abandoned sharecropper's farm a few months ago, but a cop saw our car parked and came over to ask us what we were doing. Luckily, I had my camera and press pass, so I just told him we were writing a feature on the old farm. Not sure how many times that will work though.

It may have been mentioned here already, but is there a place I can go for a good list? I haven't been in Columbus, GA long enough to know any places by heart that are not well known already.
    Nothing listed in the UER Database near Coloumbus, sorry.

It just means that they haven't been discovered yet!

http://www.uer.ca/

Ah, balls. We have a lot of 'southern ruins' (farms, old houses, etc) but nothing really substantial. I'll just have to snoop around a bit.

Mr Pink on
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    ]

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    imspectreimspectre Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I zoomed in on the mirror in the "bedroom" picture and was disappointed that there is no shadowy figure hugging the wall out of sight of the door. The setup just seems too perfect for the room to be empty. :P
    There have been some great pictures in this thread, too bad that there isn't anything interesting at all in my area to share.

imspectre on
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    ]

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    So you smelled....dead people?

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    PolityPolity Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    When my parents were much younger (and obviously much cooler), they climbed up into the half-completed Renaissance Center and had a picnic overlooking the Detroit River and Windsor. I've always been mildly jealous of that.

53540007_85169dbdf7.jpg

Polity on
  • Options
    Daxx22Daxx22 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Not really, but it would have made for a better story, eh? :P

You glorious son of a bitch!

Great stuff. Glad I bookmarked this thread, like to check it every few weeks (ok, months clearly) for updates :)

Daxx22 on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

I think we did D: Or maybe dead person?

Star on
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009

I'm guessing there isn't much of a chance some large animal got trapped in the bathroom.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    To be honest though - that basement was probably the most terrifying place I've ever been.

First of all, you're talking about going through two of those push-the-bar to open doors that are weighted to pull themselves shut (and you can't trust doors in these buildings). The first one had something blocking it from shutting but the second we just very carefully eased shut so it rested against the latch. After we opened the bathroom it shifted like it was shutting,insanely scary, there was mold covering the walls and floor which I think was a lot of the problem with the air. Also! He didn't tell you about the dead rat - the dead rat down there was pretty gross.

Earlier in the day I was exploring in the girls locker room while TS held the door open for me - as I walked around a corner he banged on the door to pretend like it was shutting (cause he's a jerk). He's right though bathrooms/locker rooms are some of the freakiest rooms in these buildings - no windows, so no ambient lighting. Nothing good comes out of a non-abandoned bathroom - not to mention it seems to be a weird theme that people put random stuff into the bathrooms of these buildings - the WIBW building had a few chairs piled in the bathroom, one of those boots the firefighters collect donations in.. just weird stuff. *shudder*

Star on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

I'm guessing there isn't much of a chance some large animal got trapped in the bathroom.

There is - honestly, neither of us peeked in to check out the bathroom once the smell hit us. Neither of those doors were easy to open either and if it would have gotten trapped down there while the basement was flooded you'd think it would have already been decomposed to nothing but who knows!

Star on
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    I]

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    ]

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Just going back a bit, y'know that rich scent of decomposition you got from the bathroom? If the place was really well-flooded, and the sewer connections were still open, just think of all the rich, organic matter that could've been expelled into the bathroom, and was then left behind when the water receded.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    That's pretty great. Cool photos too.

Obligatory "you're lucky you didn't get [arrested/lost/eaten by a Grue]."

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Apparently the island of Saipan , since its economic crash a few years ago, is prime UE territory. If anyone has spare vacation time and cash, we should mount a PA expedition or some shit.

Like, shit, apparently there's an abandoned mall.

Mortal Sky on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    Apparently the island of Saipan , since its economic crash a few years ago, is prime UE territory. If anyone has spare vacation time and cash, we should mount a PA expedition or some shit.

That's, uh.... That's quite a trip.

You offering to let us ride on your cruise ship? :P

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    Mortal Sky wrote: »

That's, uh.... That's quite a trip.

You offering to let us ride on your cruise ship? :P
    Shit, give me ten years and I will have a fucking cruise ship just for you.

Nah, I'm just saying, that'd be a fuckcrazy trip if we could.

Mortal Sky on