Options

INVITE SENT: a discussion of game invite etiquette

Shoegaze99Shoegaze99 Registered User regular
edited June 2008 in Games and Technology
This is something I consider from time to time. We've got these great systems now. See when your friends are online, what they're playing, invite them to games, send them messages even while they're playing. Just a few years ago this sort of thing seemed out of reach.

So now we've got it, and that's cool.

But the etiquette of all this connectivity ... what is it? Have we yet defined it? Do views differ between the generations (as I suspect they do)? What's out of bounds or off limits or rude? What's acceptable and fine?

Or to strip it down to terms a bit less - I dunno, firm, I guess - what sort of etiquette do you follow when it comes to this stuff?

I'll watch my friends list, see what people are up to, but I rarely shoot out an invite unless they're playing what I'm playing. If I see someone playing an RPG, for instance, I figure they're in the middle of quests and won't want to be bothered with my GRAW 2 invite, so I don't send it. If I'm playing Lost Cities and notice someone playing Bejeweled, I hope they switch to Lost Cities so I can send one, but I don't interupt their game.

Maybe I should. For whatever reason it just doesn't always feel right to me.

Part of that, I think, is that from time to time when I've been playing a single-player game an invite has been bothersome to me. Thanks to job family & other obligations, I get a small window of gaming time each day. When I get that time, I want to use it the way I want to use it. When I get those invites, I feel obligated to go play even when I don't really want to. And that sucks. After all, "I don't feel like it, dude" can come across as rude.

In this age of texting and Tweetering and all that, though, I'd guess I'm part of a shrinking minority. People are used to instantly reaching out to folks, messages at any time, connect NOW, yada yada yada. I don't go in for that. I often don't want to be bothered. Long day at work, family stuff, need my quiet time, you get the picture.

So my attitude with this stuff carries over into the way I handle stuff like Xbox Live -- which is probably depriving me of some cool online gaming.

Shoegaze99 on

• Options
    mrsnackroadmrsnackroad Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    This is the kind of thing that kept me from playing online with PAers for a while, actually.

I'll send a message before just sending a game invite though - a vocal, formal invitation is a lot better than just a pop up "Mr Snack Road has invited you to play!"

There's a lot of little rules I keep myself to though.

- Don't send blanket invites to people. If you just need three people and you invite six or seven, that's kind of dickish when you start kicking people for the crime of answering your invite.

- Message, then Invite. It gives the other player a response, they can say "Nah, dude, I gotta hit the sack early" or what have you. It doesn't create the obligation to join RIGHT NOW, but it does open up the option. Maybe I have time to play - hell yeah, I'll join. Maybe I'm playing with other people - no thanks, I'll get on board next time.

The inverse of this is that if we're playing the same game anyways, I'll check the party details/what you're doing, and send an invite all willy-nilly. If you're playing this game that I'm playing, chances are we'll play this game together and get stuff going.

- Don't invite people out of single player games. I'm playing Mass Effect because I want to play Mass Effect, I'm not playing Mass Effect to kill time until some other people join up for something else. Worse is how fucking INTRUSIVE it can be to get an invite sometimes - Can you imagine being enthralled in the story of Bioshock, about to hit the defining moment of gameplay, then you get the beep and "XxXSUPATOKA42069XxX Wants To Play" interrupts the moment? Nerd rage ALL THE WAY.

mrsnackroad on
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I heard this cited as the reason that Nintendo have such a bizarre stance on this, although I can't remember where. It may have been on the CAGcast. Apparently Japanese game developers think it rude.

You can just ignore invites that come in. God knows, I do. No-one gets offended. What there should be, though, is a throttle on how many invites you can send to the same person. Two every ten minutes, maybe. Because if I'm playing GTA and you want me to come and play Halo and I don't right away, fine. If I don't after you send me the third one, take the hint.

Also, if you invite me, wait a couple of minutes for me to save, swap discs, and load. It's intensely frustrating when you invite me to a game and then when I join, you're already playing.

Snack, you can turn off notifications if you want. I do whenever I play Bioshock, and did for the first few hours of GTA. I have them permanently off for movies.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Normally I hit up a voice chat and ask them, or shoot them a message asking if they want to play. If they don't reply or accept, then I assume it's a no. :P

I don't really have anyone shooting me an invite for no reason at all.

urahonky on
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I think just getting the popup is completely fine. If you want to reply, you can reply to the invite directly. There doesn't seem any point in a message to me because it's just going to say 'want to play?' or some other variant.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Willeth wrote: »
    I think just getting the popup is completely fine. If you want to reply, you can reply to the invite directly. There doesn't seem any point in a message to me because it's just going to say 'want to play?' or some other variant.

I kind of feel like its just a courtesy - and I'd rather err on the side of "well-mannered" some times.

mrsnackroad on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Well I usually do that because if I'm playing like Halo 3 and they're playing another game then I normally ask if they feel like playing Halo 3. I know sometimes when I'm playing a game (like Assassin's Creed) I probably don't feel like playing a FPS at the moment.

But that's just me, you can send me an invite anytime and I won't be bothered.

urahonky on
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    - Message, then Invite.

This. This is the only rule you need. Also do not send invites to strangers, and act like a goddamn human being. Sending me an invite, even to party up in an MMO when you're standing right next to me in the game world, without saying hi or anything first, is the equivalent of walking up to someone with a tennis ball and racket and just serving. You do this in game, you will see an "invite rejected" message. You do this in real life, and I will take your tennis ball.

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    urahonky wrote: »
    But that's just me, you can send me an invite anytime and I won't be bothered.

I'm with this one, too - I hold myself to a pretty strict set of rules; but I'm pretty laid back myself. If I'm not down to join, I'll send you a message saying so, but I'm usually up for anything.

mrsnackroad on
  • Options
    edited June 2008

- Message, then Invite. It gives the other player a response, they can say "Nah, dude, I gotta hit the sack early" or what have you. It doesn't create the obligation to join RIGHT NOW, but it does open up the option. Maybe I have time to play - hell yeah, I'll join. Maybe I'm playing with other people - no thanks, I'll get on board next time.
    Yeah, I like this. I've sometimes sent a brief message saying, "If you're up for playing X when you're finished, create a game and send me an invite." Makes clear I'd like to play, but puts the ball in their court, and in a way that makes it "okay" to disregard the message if they so choose.

Shoegaze99 on
  • Options
    AshendarkAshendark Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I send out invites to the firends I see online (that have the game) even if they're not currently playing the same game. I don't expect them to quit their game and come join mine right then and there. It's just a message saying I want to play. Then at their convienence they can join or send me an invite if my game is no longer available. Personalized invitations are too time consuming unless i'm trying to setup something specific so I normally don't bother. And I don't expect a reply if they're unable to join. Just don't accept it. No biggie.

Bottom line: No one is going to get upset because their game invite wasn't accepted or that they we're invited to a game. So send them out freely, just don't spam the same person a bunch or you may become a nuisance.

Ashendark on
    Ashendark.gif
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    360 Tip: (Don't know how many here know this) If you set your profile to 'Busy' all notifications/popups are temporarily blocked. :)

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    RedThornRedThorn Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    This thing seems like something that would sort itself out on it's own. If you're bothered by it then just ask people on your friends list who send you unsolicited invites to please message you first. I doubt they would refuse or anything silly like that.

I've always been pretty relaxed about stuff like this though. I tend to err on the side of politeness when doling out invites but I don't get upset if somebody else shoots me an invite while I'm already busy or if they invite me and the game is full when I get there.

RedThorn on
    League of Legends: Drokmir
    Steam: Drokmir
  • Options
    peterdevorepeterdevore Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    On the PS3, not having the in game XMB yet makes setting up games a big hassle, since you can't message eachother about it while you are playing the game. It's exceptionally frustrating when the game craps up and kills the server you just painstakingly got 3 people into, leaving you no easy way to explain that it wasn't you, but the game crapping out.

Due to this, I never feel bad about people suddenly leaving or not responding to in game invites. I just assume they must have some good reason for it. It's the kind of attitude I like to receive as well, unless I was hosting the server and killed it in the middle of a match due to forgetting I was hosting it and dropping out (whoops, sorry guys).

peterdevore on
  • Options
    NegrodamusNegrodamus Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Yes. This has been bothering me a lot lately.
    If you see that I'm playing GTA IV, don't send me a fucking COD4 invite. Don't send me any invite to a game that I'm not currently playing, unless you see me sitting in the 360 Dashboard. This is a situation where a message before the invite would be proper etiquette, otherwise I don't see the point.

Negrodamus on
    XBL: P3rcyMiracl3s | PSN: gumby24
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008
    I usually just log in, and if I'm playing CoD4, I'll send invites to those that are. Sometimes I'll send one to those who aren't, just to say, "Yo. Sheep's on. If you're bored, hop on CoD and let's get it on!"

Otherwise... we all just spam Kris until he quits whatever else he is doin.

Sheep on
  • Options
    BelruelBelruel NARUTO FUCKS Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    - Message, then Invite.

This. This is the only rule you need. Also do not send invites to strangers, and act like a goddamn human being. Sending me an invite, even to party up in an MMO when you're standing right next to me in the game world, without saying hi or anything first, is the equivalent of walking up to someone with a tennis ball and racket and just serving. You do this in game, you will see an "invite rejected" message. You do this in real life, and I will take your tennis ball.

in mmo's the only time i send someone an invite without saying anything is if he just tagged a named guy i need to kill, or i tagged one and the guy runs up looking like he needs him too

other than that, yea, any random invite anyone sends i decline.

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Belruel wrote: »
    - Message, then Invite.

in mmo's the only time i send someone an invite without saying anything is if he just tagged a named guy i need to kill, or i tagged one and the guy runs up looking like he needs him too

MMO party invites are way different than console game invites.

Ashendark on
    Ashendark.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Ashendark wrote: »
    - Message, then Invite.

haha yes, but i was responding to something he had said in the post i quoted. when i am playing on live i pretty much just ignore all invites unless i feel like playing with someone else.

what really gets me though is the people who will invite me to friends without sending a message, and without speaking to me through the mic during a game at all. those are a bit baffling. even a 'hey i like how you play and its hard to find people to start games with, i'm gonna send you an invite and maybe we can play again later' would be nice

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    - Message, then Invite.

haha yes, but i was responding to something he had said in the post i quoted. when i am playing on live i pretty much just ignore all invites unless i feel like playing with someone else.

what really gets me though is the people who will invite me to friends without sending a message, and without speaking to me through the mic during a game at all. those are a bit baffling. even a 'hey i like how you play and its hard to find people to start games with, i'm gonna send you an invite and maybe we can play again later' would be nice

But that's pretty much a given right? I mean, you're not going to send someone an invite if you don't like playing with them so why bother even saying hey, I like how you play etc..

Ashendark on
    Ashendark.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    - Message, then Invite.

But that's pretty much a given right? I mean, you're not going to send someone an invite if you don't like playing with them so why bother even saying hey, I like how you play etc..

because my friends list is for my friends and people i can stand to talk to. i have no idea if this guy is a blithering idiot or not.

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Also do not send invites to strangers

Why not? I do it all the time in CoD4. Especially if we need just one person to round out the roster for a full game. I'll go through my previous games and find someone who's in the lobby and invite them. Most of the time I get a "who is this?", other times they're glad that I invited them.
    is the equivalent of walking up to someone with a tennis ball and racket and just serving.

Are you referring to people you don't know at all, or people on your friends list?

Sheep on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    - Message, then Invite.

because my friends list is for my friends and people i can stand to talk to. i have no idea if this guy is a blithering idiot or not.

I misread the friends invite as a game invite. So yeah I see what you're saying.

Ashendark on
    Ashendark.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    oh yea, game invites i'm all for, that doesn't necessitate a prefacing message or anything.

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • Options
    ThreepioThreepio New Westminster, BCRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    This is why In-game XMB is important. I feel like a dick when I turn down an invite in GTA 4 (and I've had a few... Sorry MorningLord!) because I'm in the middle of yet ANOTHER god damn motorcycle chase or at the crux of some key story moment. Being able to fire a "sorry mate, mired in story" would make me feel better about the whole process.

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • Options
    angrylinuxgeekangrylinuxgeek Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Threepio you never politely declined my (360) invites in the past.

angrylinuxgeek on
    sQwJu.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Threepio doesn't decline 360 invites, he sends an ASCII picture of a middle finger if you send him an invite.

urahonky on
  • Options
    VoroVoro Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    The one major problem I have is that there's nothing in between Friends and Everyone on the privacy settings. I don't want random people constantly sending me invites until I've been offline for a few days and am no longer on recently played lists. However, I still want to get in on PA action now and then. There really needs to be a "Friend of a Friend" threshold for the privacy settings.

As for blind invites, I'd rather not get invites when at the dashboard, playing a different game, or watching a movie. I'd rather not turn these alerts off, but sometimes I just end up pulling the plug so I can enjoy a new game in peace.

On the MMO topic, yes, blind group invites are terrible. Especially if you actually accept, ask questions in group chat, and they completely ignore everything.

Overall, I'd say the majority of people are douche bags and don't bother thinking when they fire invites. Sure, it doesn't seem like a big deal to some of you when you're just considering your own actions, but now imagine that everyone else is doing the same thing. Yeah, aggravating.

Voro on
    XBL GamerTag: Comrade Nexus
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    You know, instead of unplugging the network cable from your xbox you can press the guide button and go to online status and just select appear offline..

Ashendark on
    Ashendark.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    When I was playing GTA IV, I had myself set to offline most of the time. A friend had just gotten a 360 and was super eager to play online. Every time he saw me in GTA IV he wanted to do some multiplayer. Meanwhile, I'm just trying to play through the damn story. Got tired of telling him "some other night," so I'd just set myself to offline instead.

Shoegaze99 on
  • Options
    ThreepioThreepio New Westminster, BCRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Threepio you never politely declined my (360) invites in the past.

That's because I don't own Forza 2. :)

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • Options
    Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Sheep wrote: »
    Otherwise... we all just spam Kris until he quits whatever else he is doin.

Seriously, what the fuck.

No matter what game I'm playing, no matter what time it is, people are sending me invites for CoD4.

There's a couple of issues here, so I'll just chime in with my 2 cents on them

Message 1st, then Game Invite
    I don't agree with this one. You're on my friends list for christ's sake, so I'm going to assume you know me, like me (or at least tolerate me) and enjoy playing with me. As such, Im just going to invite you. I hate it when people send me voice/text messages... I gotta load up the fucking whatever console, pause my game (or potentially die), and it may just be Panny sending my smilie faces or Sheep telling me I smell funny, so its not really useful: it just sucks. A game invite is pretty clear: I want to play with you.

Inviting Strangers
    I don't do this. I feel weird enough sending people invites from the PA "clan lists" (and often, its an exercise in futility). Plus I fucking hate 99% of the people on live.

Inviting People Who Aren't Currently Playing the Same Game
    I do this, but only for people that I truely classify as friends (grats, you now get to be harassed by me). People I regularly play these games with, I dont give a shit what else they're playing, Ill invite them and I'd hope they'd do the same for me. If they dont want to play, ignore the invite! We can always meet up next time.

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • Options
    EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I hate people who invite me to go play games when I'm in the story mode of GAME THAT JUST CAME OUT. I also hate when I get random friend invites with nothing to go off of, and this isn't limited to games. I have facebook invites with no messages that just sit in my queue. If you can't be bothered to send me an actual supporting message, then fuck off.

That being said, I generally invite the other Bees if they're in Halo unless otherwise deterred.

PS. I don't have Call of Duty4 anymore, I was renting it from game fly. Stop fucking inviting me to it.

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Options
    Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    EvilBadman wrote: »
    I hate people who invite me to go play games when I'm in the story mode of GAME THAT JUST CAME OUT. I also hate when I get random friend invites with nothing to go off of, and this isn't limited to games. I have facebook invites with no messages that just sit in my queue. If you can't be bothered to send me an actual supporting message, then fuck off.

That being said, I generally invite the other Bees if they're in Halo unless otherwise deterred.

PS. I don't have Call of Duty4 anymore, I was renting it from game fly. Stop fucking inviting me to it.

I bet your natural charm has resulted in a tremendous amount of friend invites too.

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    No matter what game I'm playing

Like that time you were playing with yourself and were all GOD DAMMIT AS SOON AS I SHOOT MY LOAD I'M GONNA SHOOT YOU IN THE HEAD.

We didn't play hardcore team deathmatch that night.

:(

Sheep on