As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

RISK

2»

• Options
    RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Well vanilla Risk is fun from time to time, but it's not a game I enjoy playing a lot of. I prefer either 2210 A.D. or Godstorm, because they are more chaotic. I like Risk for it's randomness because each game is different in how it goes. There is strategy in Risk, but that strategy can be torn to shit by dice (or cards in the other versions).

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    jabrams007jabrams007 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    If you're enjoying the game, then by all means, keep playing. I'm not trying to deny anyone their fun. :D I just think that Risk is WAY over-rated and does more harm than good when trying to get a new person to play a wargame. To quote the last poster in the thread I linked to above:

"I suppose Risk is fine for what it is, and it is THE ancestor to a lot of my favorite games...but it's obsolete now. There is no reason to play it if you are aware of better games. If there were any justice, a game like Nexus Ops would've already replaced Vanilla Risk on retail store shelves. Nexus Ops offers the same light wargame goodness with differentiated troops, the ability to inflict simultaneous casualties, mission cards, and cards to influence key battles, not to mention a very light economic/resource game very much like any fan of RTS games are familiar with. And...it plays in an hour and a half. See the point?"

jabrams007 on
  • Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I like 2210 AD because of the randomness of the board itself (start off with places nuked), and the cards. It plays much faster that a traditional Risk game, but is still loads of fun.

On another note, has anyone played Twilight Imperium? That is a long game.

crimsoncoyote on
  • Options
    Sentinel XIVSentinel XIV Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I can see your point about RISK being a bit outdated, and even a little overrated, perhaps. I have never play Dust or any of the others, but I will give them a try. They'll be hard-pressed to tear me away from RISK, though.

And anyone who says that RISK games use the same strategy over and over again has not played the game enough. Random dice do play into the outcome of the game, but good strategy will overcome bad dice any day.

Sentinel XIV on
    F**K C*N**RS**P!!*!
  • Options
    jabrams007jabrams007 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

Twilight Imperium is a LONG game. But even though it looks like a wargame, it really isn't. Twilight Imperium is actually the cold war, set in space, with multiple factions all trying to maneuver with each other for the best advantage. It has this slow buildup where everyone is jockeying for new technology, votes on the galactic council and trying to grab up the free planets. There isn't the constant back-and-forth, agressiveness from the get-go, that games like Risk, Axis and Allies, Dust, and even Diplomacy have.

It's a fun game to play, but if you go in there thinking it's a wargame, you're going to do very poorly.

jabrams007 on
  • Options
    superjoesuperjoe Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Online Risk? Hot diggity!

Any interest in a game amongst us forumers?

superjoe on
    IlOZ6.png
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I played Risk 2010 a bit when I visited a friend in Australia.

Everyone lost interest after my uncanny luck with dice got to the point where I could simply tell them "Going to be double sixes again."

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    KingMoleKingMole Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I usually just play Hearts of Iron or Europa Universalis III to fulfill my Risk needs.

KingMole on
    doomrider_sigPA.png
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    My problem with risk is that the game can easily end in stalemate, decided only on luck of the dice, when played between two aggressive players.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Oh, neat. It's nice to see RISK get a makeover in its rules. It's a classic game that does have some flaws (I personally don't like how the troop bonuses for sets increases so much late in the game), but it's still quite accessible and fun.

I really need to find a gaming group to play some more of these types of board games... and one of these days I'm gonna have to play Twilight Imperium. One game I have in my collection, called ATTACK!, which is a relatively accessible wargame kind of like RISK that itself has some flaws. Apparently there's been plans on a new Deluxe Version also with revamped rules, but with the original production company undergoing changes, I haven't been able to tell if it is actually coming out or not - it was planned to come out this summer.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    OhtheVogonityOhtheVogonity Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    My roommates and I played the hell out of some Risk.

For like three weeks.

There's only so many ways it can play out.

We switched to Settlers of Catan and have not regretted it. It doesn't scratch that wargames itch, really, but it's very very balanced, plays faster, doesn't eliminate players, has a highly random board, demands different strategies for each game, and allows much more opportunity to "game" the other players (Risk mostly boils down to "treaty?" and "haha! broken treaty!").

OhtheVogonity on
    Oh freddled gruntbuggly...thy micturations are to me/ As plurdled gabbleblotchits on a lurgid bee
  • Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    jabrams007 wrote: »

Twilight Imperium is a LONG game. But even though it looks like a wargame, it really isn't. Twilight Imperium is actually the cold war, set in space, with multiple factions all trying to maneuver with each other for the best advantage. It has this slow buildup where everyone is jockeying for new technology, votes on the galactic council and trying to grab up the free planets. There isn't the constant back-and-forth, agressiveness from the get-go, that games like Risk, Axis and Allies, Dust, and even Diplomacy have.

It's a fun game to play, but if you go in there thinking it's a wargame, you're going to do very poorly.

Very true. It's more of a political game than anything. But it's a helluva lot of fun, if you have the time (and space) to dedicate to it.

MrB: Move to Central Florida :D My roommates and I are all over board games.

When we play board games (few times a week), it's usually between Settlers (plus expansions), RISK 2210AD, and Twilight Imperium (if we start early enough). Lately, we've picked up a couple of the Munchkin card game sets. And we're always looking for board games to add to our collection; it's good times.

crimsoncoyote on