As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

RISK

Sentinel XIVSentinel XIV Registered User regular
edited June 2008 in Critical Failures
After scouring the four pages of information in this forum called Critical Failures, I noticed that there is not a thread dedicated to the wonderful board game named RISK.

So, with that said, I wanted to test the waters to see who exactly has played, stills plays, or is interested in playing the game, and see who has what to say about it.

Personally, I think it's a great game. It being a game of strategy, you really have to use your head if you want to play well. I'm nominally skilled. I certainly don't consider myself a top rate player. I know far better players, both personally and in the online community.

F**K C*N**RS**P!!*!
Sentinel XIV on

• Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Nobody I know is willing to sit down for fifteen hours to play through a game of Risk.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Most of the games we play at my house last a few hours, at least. But I live in a house where we can leave the board out, and continue the following day, if need be.

A play a lot online, as well. Games there carry over for months sometimes.

Sentinel XIV on
    F**K C*N**RS**P!!*!
  • Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I love risk, nobody I know has the patience, so I'm always sad.

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I really feel bad for you two. Maybe you should consider paying some bums $2 and a tall boy to play you.

Sentinel XIV on
    F**K C*N**RS**P!!*!
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I really feel bad for you two. Maybe you should consider paying some bums $2 and a tall boy to play you.

I'm almost to that point. I really am.

TheLawinator on
  • Options
    Regicid3Regicid3 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I finally got to play a game of Risk two months ago, then I played another 3 weeks ago. I love it, I cannot wait to play again!

Regicid3 on
  • Options
    JoschuaESQJoschuaESQ Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I love risk and no one i know has the patience for it.
    I also enjoy monopoly and they dont even have the patience for that :(
    sad times are my board games.
    THey are the painful variety of board game, however.

JoschuaESQ on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    The last time I played Risk, the game ended up lasting weeks while the board sat on my mother-in-law's dining room table. She was not amused.

Quoth on
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Risk is awesome. haven't played with people yet, though the computer provided a good challenge.
    is the Transformers edition any good, because if so i might get it.

Antimatter on
  • Options
    delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'm frankly surprised there isn't a browser-based multiplayer Risk clone online.

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    delroland wrote: »
    I'm frankly surprised there isn't a browser-based multiplayer Risk clone online.

There is.

Sentinel XIV on
    F**K C*N**RS**P!!*!
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Quoth wrote: »
    The last time I played Risk, the game ended up lasting weeks while the board sat on my mother-in-law's dining room table. She was not amused.

Myself and two friends of mine played a game that lasted two months. I'm pretty sure my buddy ended up cheating to win (switching pieces around when we weren't there), but the game was still a blast.

Sentinel XIV on
    F**K C*N**RS**P!!*!
  • Options
    TroyTroy Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Might I direct you all towards http://www.gamesbyemail.com/

Not only do they have risk clones, but they have Axis and Allies (called WWII), Diplomacy, and Chess and checkers.

I play regularly with friends in the Axis and Allies game. It takes a little while to get used to how the games work, but once you realize how it works it is really fun.

Hell I'd be willing to play anyone in some Axis and Allies PM me if you are down.

Edit: and most importantly it is entirely browser based, and the advertising is really minimalistic.

Troy on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    While we're directing people to websites, I'd like to point one out to the RISK nuts out there.

www.conquerclub.com is the best site, in my opinion, for online RISK. It's not associated with Hasbro at all, but the site is excellent. It's only about two years old, but the community is great.

Anyone who checks it out, look for me there. My username there is the same as here, Sentinel XIV.

Sentinel XIV on
    F**K C*N**RS**P!!*!
  • Options
    KrataLightbladeKrataLightblade Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I rather enjoy Risk, personally, but I've found that Risk: 2210 AD is my favorite version of those I've played. Adding the moon and undersea territories, plus commanders and such, helped.

Unfortunately I, like so many others, am surrounded by people who hate Risk, primarily because they hate "cutthroat" play. These are the same people who yell at me for trying to win at Monopoly.

So, alas, I too am of the Riskless.

KrataLightblade on
    LEVEL 50 SWORD JUGGLER/WIZARD!
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I rather enjoy Risk, personally, but I've found that Risk: 2210 AD is my favorite version of those I've played. Adding the moon and undersea territories, plus commanders and such, helped.

Unfortunately I, like so many others, am surrounded by people who hate Risk, primarily because they hate "cutthroat" play. These are the same people who yell at me for trying to win at Monopoly.

So, alas, I too am of the Riskless.

This may look like my sole purpose in this thread is to promote this site, but, alas, that is untrue. Therefore, this will be the last time I do so.

Check out Conquer Club. There are a ton of user-created maps that vary in themes such as Middle Earth, Space, Canada, etc., as well as the Classic Map. The forum over there is rife with activity, including its own version of the Mafia game. Anyone in this thread that has said they are RISK-less should check it out.

[/shamelesspromotion]

With that said, I just started a new game against my friend and my wife. Classic settings, so it shouldn't last too long, but we'll see. My wife has a tendency to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat. Or, as George W. would say, I have the tendency to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

Sentinel XIV on
    F**K C*N**RS**P!!*!
  • Options
    enc0reenc0re Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    www.conquerclub.com is the best site, in my opinion, for online RISK. It's not associated with Hasbro at all, but the site is excellent. It's only about two years old, but the community is great.

This. If you want to play "Conquer" online, go to ConquerClub.com. I use the same handle over there.

enc0re on
  • Options
    dscrilladscrilla Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Last time I played RISK I remembered why I don't play anymore. I enjoy it for the first 3 hours then it gets old. I need at least something like axis and allies to hold my attention that long. I heard there is a version called black ops that is a faster game.

dscrilla on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I joined ConquerClub, my Username there's Wreck-Gar.
    shut up, first name I thought of that it accepted.

Antimatter on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Antimatter wrote: »
    I joined ConquerClub, my Username there's Wreck-Gar.
    shut up, first name I thought of that it accepted.

One of the more unique Transformers, in my opinion. Look me up over there.

Sentinel XIV on
    F**K C*N**RS**P!!*!
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Holy Crap, nice record! Right now I'm in a Montreal game.

Antimatter on
  • Options
    ScribemiteScribemite Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

My girlfriend's mother got Transformers Risk for me for Christmas, and I must say I do enjoy it despite some reservations. It's a bit different from the usual Risk, and it runs at a faster pace. Risk-heads will probably hate it to death, but for those of us who want to lead an army of robots across the landscape of Cybertron, it's pretty cool.

Scribemite on
  • Options
    Archr5Archr5 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'm planning on buying Lord of the Rings risk because the models will double up for my D&D games.

I wish they'd actually release that awesome "black ops" risk set that they demoed to the press a while back.

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/04/18/off-the-grid-risk-black-ops-and-hasbros-wrong-direction/

looks so cool.

Archr5 on
    somalia_banner.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    ... :(

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I don't play Risk anymore because every time I play now I get ganged up on towards the beginning.

Naturally, none of my methods while playing Risk warrant such actions.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Honestly the one time I really played a game of Risk, the first person to get ousted from the game literally threw the board.

Meh.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    ScribemiteScribemite Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Archr5 wrote: »
    I'm planning on buying Lord of the Rings risk because the models will double up for my D&D games.

I wish they'd actually release that awesome "black ops" risk set that they demoed to the press a while back.

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/04/18/off-the-grid-risk-black-ops-and-hasbros-wrong-direction/

looks so cool.

I saw 1 entry for this on eBay. There's 5 days left on the auction and it is up to $102. I want this, but I don't $150+ want it.

Scribemite on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Yeah supposedly it's just a graphical change from their retail version. definitely not worth $100+ extra dollars, to me anyway.

Archr5 on
    somalia_banner.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Scribemite wrote: »

My girlfriend's mother got Transformers Risk for me for Christmas, and I must say I do enjoy it despite some reservations. It's a bit different from the usual Risk, and it runs at a faster pace. Risk-heads will probably hate it to death, but for those of us who want to lead an army of robots across the landscape of Cybertron, it's pretty cool.

Thank you very much, to Hasbro.com I go!:D

Antimatter on
  • Options
    JacquesCousteauJacquesCousteau Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I have Star Wars risk (which is pretty fun) and normal. I really wanted Starcraft risk but it was like 70 bucks or something ridiculous.

JacquesCousteau on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Holy Crap, nice record! Right now I'm in a Montreal game.

There are far better on the site, as I'm sure you noticed already. I'll have to send you a PM, and we'll play.

As far as other boards go in real life, I've only ever played the Classic map. I should really try to expand my horizons. Transformers sounds like fun.

Sentinel XIV on
    F**K C*N**RS**P!!*!
  • Options
    RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I haven't played the original Risk in ages, but I do enjoy the 2210 A.D. and Godstorm versions a lot more. If anyone wants to play online, send me a PM.

I try to get my friends to play but they have no patience for games.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Ryadic wrote: »
    I haven't played the original Risk in ages, but I do enjoy the 2210 A.D. and Godstorm versions a lot more. If anyone wants to play online, send me a PM.

I try to get my friends to play but they have no patience for games.

I love me some 2210.

Also, holy shit, I MUST get my hands on a Starcraft Risk /drooooooooooooool
    [/fanboy]

EDIT: is there a Starcraft one?

crimsoncoyote on
  • Options
    RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    There's a Starcraft board game, but in all honesty, I think that with enough creativity YOU can make your own Starcraft risk.

You know what, let's get some people in here to make it and we can play it ourselves. I mean 2210 A.D. is pretty damn close to it, just make 3 factions, give them unique generals, and make some cards.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    There's a Starcraft board game, but in all honesty, I think that with enough creativity YOU can make your own Starcraft risk.

You know what, let's get some people in here to make it and we can play it ourselves. I mean 2210 A.D. is pretty damn close to it, just make 3 factions, give them unique generals, and make some cards.

This sounds like a good idea. :D

crimsoncoyote on
  • Options
    edited June 2008

This sounds like a good idea. :D

I have 2210 AD right here.

TheLawinator on
  • Options
    jabrams007jabrams007 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I used to like Risk when I was younger, but then a friend of mine introduced me to Diplomacy and now I can't stand playing Risk anymore. It's like going back and trying to watch cartoons from your childhood. When you saw them when you were young, they were awesome and from a nostalgia point of view, they remain awesome in your mind. But when you try and watch them now, years later, you realize just how crappy He-Man, Thundercats, and even Transformers really were. Risk is like that. When you're young and have never heard of Axis and Allies, Diplomacy, or any of the real Euro wargames, let alone seen them, it's awesome. Once you have, it's painful to go back. The same can be said about Monopoly and Acquire, Powergrid, and Puerto Rico. Just to name a few.

A group of friends tried to play a game a couple weeks ago, but we all hated the sheer randomness of the dice and how bad the game was compared to other games we play now, so we stopped playing after about an hour and started playing Dust http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/dust/product.html instead.

If you like Risk, definitely try out Diplomacy (Risk for smart people) and try out Dust too.

Here are some more pictuers of Dust just to wet your appetite:

the board:
    pic204655.jpg

in action:
    pic330442_lg.jpg

special ability cards:
    pic330379_lg.jpg

front of the box:
    pic330351_lg.jpg

back of the box:
    pic330350_lg.jpg

Sorry for inadvertantly thread-crapping. It just kind of bugs me how much people talk about how great Risk is when compared to other wargames, it's actually really crappy. The reason Risk is so popular is because it has name recognition and is the only wargame sold in most toystores. That's what you play when you're young so that's what you think is actually good.

jabrams007 on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Man that nurse card is fracking hot.

RISK is cool even if it's not depthy. A game does not have to be complex to be enjoyable.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Yeah sometimes the simplicity is part of the fun. Hell, people still play Checkers for this reason.

to me Risk has always been about cackling maniacally while you invade, and laughing hysterically when you roll so badly that your massive invading army is turned away by a force half its size.

Archr5 on
    somalia_banner.jpg
  • Options
    jabrams007jabrams007 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    RISK is cool even if it's not depthy. A game does not have to be complex to be enjoyable.

Oh, I agree with you. But that still doesn't make Risk GOOD. It just makes it 99% of peoples' first wargame they've ever played. There are no tactics in Risk, there are just the same strategies played over and over again in every game.

For an excellent and well thought-out critique of Risk, check out http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/145043.

Granted, I've never played any of the (seemingly) thousand other variations of Risk so I anything I say is based solely on the "vanilla" edition of the game.

jabrams007 on