As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

100 pages of fallout goodness, needs new home!

• Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    OremLK wrote: »
    ironzerg wrote: »
    ironzerg, Oblivion had neither awesome storylines nor great NPC interactions.

I disagree whole-heartedly.

Between the guild quests, the Dark Brotherhood, and the main quest line, I had some great, and dare I say, awesome experiences with the stories in Oblivion.

I'm sorry your copy shipped with such a lack of content.

I've done all of that, yes, including the Dark Brotherhood stuff. The NPC interaction is pretty much universally bland and formulaic and I wasn't particularly impressed by any of the storylines, large or small.

Then you might as well just stop being excited about Fallout 3 and never post in this thread again, because it sounds like it's not something you'd care for.

We don't know yet what Fallout 3 will be like!

Djiem on
  • Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    ironzerg, Oblivion had neither awesome storylines nor great NPC interactions.

I disagree whole-heartedly.

Between the guild quests, the Dark Brotherhood, and the main quest line, I had some great, and dare I say, awesome experiences with the stories in Oblivion.

I'm sorry your copy shipped with such a lack of content.

I've done all of that, yes, including the Dark Brotherhood stuff. The NPC interaction is pretty much universally bland and formulaic and I wasn't particularly impressed by any of the storylines, large or small.

Then you might as well just stop being excited about Fallout 3 and never post in this thread again, because it sounds like it's not something you'd care for.

I loved the original Fallout games, especially the first one. Their storytelling, dialogue, and gameplay were miles above Oblivion or for that matter any of the ES games. Considering this is a thread about Fallout, I think it's perfectly reasonable that I post here.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    MundaneSoulMundaneSoul fight fighter Daehan MingukRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Good Lord, people.

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Personally, so long as the game has Fallout-style dialog, I'm fine. I couldn't stand that godforsaken wheel in Oblivion, and the "pick a topic" system for Morrowind was serviceable but so damn bland. I want dialog to mean something. I can't expect it to mean as much as, say, Planescape: Torment because of voice acting and the tldr problem, but still, a man can dream...

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm playing through Fallout 2 on my cute little "GSP White Label" Fallout collection I got from Amazon a while ago, and I just hope they capture the feeling and charm of the predecssors.

I don't want the exact same thing, but I want that same atmosphere and feeling - from what I've seen of the movie previews, they've done that.

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    OK, I realize that our constant pessimism annoys you Djiem, but your constant optimism can have the same effect. Yes, it will at the very least be a good game (and probably has a good chance of being this years bioshock). We know there is a chance that it'll be the greatest thing since sliced bread, but to assume that they'll fix everything is just as silly as assuming that it'll be a total trainwreck

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Spoit wrote: »
    OK, I realize that our constant pessimism annoys you Djiem, but your constant optimism can have the same effect. Yes, it will at the very least be a good game (and probably has a good chance of being this years bioshock). We know there is a chance that it'll be the greatest thing since sliced bread, but to assume that they'll fix everything is just as silly as assuming that it'll be a total trainwreck

They've said they're going to fix things, way to not pay attention.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    And they said that they'd do a lot of things they didn't end up doing during the development of oblivion.

And I don't know know how you got that I thought they wouldn't fix anything from my post

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Yeah, saying and doing are two different things.

That said, my spite for certain parts of Oblivion aside, Bethesda are not horrible developers, and I do think this will be an improvement. I think a lot of us are just worried because of the immense respect we have for the Fallout games and not wanting to be let down.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Anyway, my point was that saying that it'll be perfect because bethesda is perfect and/or oblivion is perfect is just as annoying as saying that it'll suck because bethesda and/or oblivion suck.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I think Oblivion/Morrowind demonstrate game-making skill at very high levels. A lot of what is wrong with Oblivion were deliberate choices or experimentation and not based on inability- and almost all of them have been explicitly denied as going to be part of Fallout 3.

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    ShabootyShabooty Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Want would you guys be saying now if Troika was still around and making this game?

Shabooty on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Anyway, my point was that saying that it'll be perfect because bethesda is perfect and/or oblivion is perfect is just as annoying as saying that it'll suck because bethesda and/or oblivion suck.

Good thing nobody said that then. To be honest, I never got very far in Oblivion, I found it too boring. Morrowind, on the other hand, ate up hours upon hours of my life.

Djiem on
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008

Call me crazy, but I always thought the point of these pre-release threads was to talk about our excitement leading up to a game.

Yes, some caution might be warranted, but there's just not much point in talking about a game pre-release if all you have to say is "I'm pretty sure this won't be a fun game".

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Shabooty wrote: »
    Want would you guys be saying now if Troika was still around and making this game?

I'd be saying "I sure hope they don't fuck this up and release a buggy, unfinished game with a lot of potential for being awesome that'll never be realized"...since that happened with every single game they worked on.

I wish they were still around and just had a much better support system to Q&A their games.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

Call me crazy, but I always thought the point of these pre-release threads was to talk about our excitement leading up to a game.

Yes, some caution might be warranted, but there's just not much point in talking about a game pre-release if all you have to say is "I'm pretty sure this won't be a fun game".

I thought the point of these threads was to discuss the game. Call me crazy.

OremLK on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

I'd be saying "I sure hope they don't fuck this up and release a buggy, unfinished game with a lot of potential for being awesome that'll never be realized"...since that happened with every single game they worked on.

I wish they were still around and just had a much better support system to Q&A their games.

At least we still have obsidian

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

This time when your car disappears with all your items it's got bump mapping!!

august on
  • Options
    NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    sometimes when I see bitching like this about FO3 it makes me hope they throw in all the canon stuff that NMA types hate, like ghosts and psychic powers. It might help remind people that there is stuff in the original games they don't like all that much.

Neaden on
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Talking man eating plant hooooooooooo!

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Scientology parody, superintelligent scoprion, gagball anal rape, talking potted plant, visions from some healer in a tribal village, ghost apparition of dead person, time-travelling paradox in which YOU break Vault 13's chip...

Fallout is serious stuff.

Djiem on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Let's not forget working for the mafia!

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    StrikerkcStrikerkc Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Djiem wrote: »
    Scientology parody, superintelligent scoprion, gagball anal rape, talking potted plant, visions from some healer in a tribal village, ghost apparition of dead person, time-travelling paradox in which YOU break Vault 13's chip...

this one needs a time paradox that has you some how causing the drought in FO2

Strikerkc on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Strikerkc wrote: »
    Djiem wrote: »

this one needs a time paradox that has you some how causing the drought in FO2

You know what we need? A secret movie or a short story when you finish the main storyline about how the government decided to create the vaults project, their intentions, their studies, how people were chosen, what happened in the other vaults, etc, kinda like that Star Wars book about the creation of the Death Star.

Djiem on
  • Options
    CarcharodontosaurusCarcharodontosaurus Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I am super, super excited that the Enclave is in Fallout 3. If the regular power armour model is anything to go by, encountering an Enclave soldier is going to be one of the most terrifying things that will happen in the game.

Carcharodontosaurus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Has there been any word on whether there will be support for mods? That would be nice, instead of people having to do some serious hacking to fix Beth's mistakes.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So hey, I don't remember reading about this in this thread. It seems like you australiatards might not get an uber-gimped version of FO3 after all.
    Kotaku wrote:
    So it's OK if the drugs are contextual within a fictional universe. It's OK if they're fictional drugs. It's OK if the game doesn't promote the use of proscribed (or, real) drugs.

Sounds like the game's use of morphine was the sticking point. By referencing only fictional drugs in this report, and reminding us that the encouragement of the use of "proscribed" drugs is a no-no, it looks likely that all that's been removed from the Australian version of the game is the morphine. Or, more realistically, that morphine has been given a fictional rebranding.

Course that's just speculation on our part, as with Bethesda refusing to comment on the matter until the game's out we're unable to confirm it, but that's certainly what it looks like.

http://kotaku.com/5036359/revised-fallout-3-edition-drugs-justified-by-context

freakish light on
  • Options
    CarcharodontosaurusCarcharodontosaurus Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    o_O

So morphine was the sticking point? Not Psycho, a drug that drives the user into a berserk, psychotic rage? Not Buffout, a super steroid that leaves the user functionally brain damaged whilst strong as an ox? Not Mentats, a drug that enhances the user's intellect to alien proportions whilst degrading their body? Not Jet, a drug which is literally an amphetamine brewed out of two headed cow feces?

Good grief, it's nice to know the Australian OFLC is being consistent.

Carcharodontosaurus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    It doesn't matter if a game included a drug like Pure Evil, a brew made from the blood of 666 of the world's most evil villains, that made you rape babies and make holy water boil. It's not a real drug, like morphine is.

freakish light on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Oh yes, I suggest people worried about the music to listen to Megaton.

2nd song

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    Oh yes, I suggest people worried about the music to listen to Megaton.

2nd song

From what we've heard, the music is very different, but still sounds pretty fucking good.

What's Mark Morgan up to these days anyway?

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

I for one would be far more optimistic, although not as optimistic as I would be for Obsidian.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    Shoegaze99Shoegaze99 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    skace wrote: »
    Based on your post I don't even think you played F1 and F2 at release.
    He's obviously not a real, true, certified Fallout fan. Frankly, I'm outraged that he has the balls to discuss the game at all.

Shoegaze99 on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The Aussie's point was the fact they didn't want kids doing real drugs in game?

I'm fine with that.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I think Oblivion/Morrowind demonstrate game-making skill at very high levels. A lot of what is wrong with Oblivion were deliberate choices or experimentation and not based on inability- and almost all of them have been explicitly denied as going to be part of Fallout 3.

Just wanted to reiterate this thought because it's probably the truest statement about Oblivion versus Fallout 3 in recent posting.

And from another poster...

I don't think you can substantiate this claim. I played through the entire quest line in Oblivion, never experienced a game breaking bug, finished the game (with a complete story) and found the ending to be pretty awesome. Yes, Oblivion may not have been what your wetdream wanted it to be, but that by no means makes it a "fuck up".

I swear, the way some people post about the game, you'd think they actually bought home a 40 year old, hairy fat guy who touched them in the bathing suit area, when the really though they were buying a copy of a Oblivion.

EDIT. I messed this quote up. My apologies. Imagine the context was another poster ranting about how Bethesda is "like the bad at making games", and not someone talking about the disaster that would've occurred if Troika developing Fallout 3. I'll take my demerits like a man.

ironzerg on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Shoegaze99 wrote: »
    He's obviously not a real, true, certified Fallout fan. Frankly, I'm outraged that he has the balls to discuss the game at all.
    Please tell me your post was being funny, Shoe.

Please.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

I don't think you can substantiate this claim. I played through the entire quest line in Oblivion, never experienced a game breaking bug, finished the game (with a complete story) and found the ending to be pretty awesome. Yes, Oblivion may not have been what your wetdream wanted it to be, but that by no means makes it a "fuck up".

I swear, the way some people post about the game, you'd think they actually bought home a 40 year old, hairy fat guy who touched them in the bathing suit area, when the really though they were buying a copy of a Oblivion.

He's talking about what would happen if Troika was developing Fallout 3.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Please.

Could it have been anything else?

BlackDove on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

Please.
    There is nothing funny about fans without the Proper Qualifications having gall enough to discuss the Fallout series. It's not funny, it's offensive!

Fallout: Serious Business.

(If that isn't a demotivational poster yet, I'm going to make it one.)

Shoegaze99 on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

What BigDes said, dude. That post was about Troika.

Also it was about Arcanum, aka Oh, Such Wasted Opportunity!

Shoegaze99 on