As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Boardgames - The special love between a man and his little wooden tokens

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Yeah, I think I'll just update to the latest rule set too because any expansions assume you are using that rule set.

No point in relearning stuff if I ever want to pick one of those up.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Troy wrote: »
    My wife played BSG at gencon and told me a great story. They were playing with a 12 year old kid and he demanded to play as Adama. Now Adama is the only one who can launch nukes, and he needs no other authority to do so, so it is an important character. The alliance cards have already been handed out, and people were already making accusing glances around the table. It comes around to the 12 year olds turn and the kid points at a lone raider out in the middle of space and says he wants to launch the nuke. Everyone at the table asks if he really wants to do that, since nukes should really be used on the big Star Cruisers(or whatever they are called.), and they all say he can take back his move. He replies in a terrible embarssed twelve year old voice. "No no sorry I didn't know, umm...well lets just keep playing...sorry." The game continues going forward.
    His next turn comes around..."I want to launch the nuke at that other lone raider."

The players at the table come slowly to the realization.

The innocent little twelve year old had duped them into losing their nukes, and was in fact a Cylon.

Grinning with victory, he launched the missle as the remaining crew members threw their hands up in accusation of the now confirmed cylon traitor.

Thought you guys would like to hear that one.

I must be missing something. He's playing Adama, and drew the 'cylon traitor' card. He then points to a random raider, and pretends he wants to blow it up; the other players tell him it's a bad idea, and so he acts embarrased and backs off. And next turn, he repeats the first move.

Where... or, when, (I suppose) did he dupe people into losing their nukes?

Tamin on
  • Options
    rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Tamin wrote: »
    Troy wrote: »
    My wife played BSG at gencon and told me a great story. They were playing with a 12 year old kid and he demanded to play as Adama. Now Adama is the only one who can launch nukes, and he needs no other authority to do so, so it is an important character. The alliance cards have already been handed out, and people were already making accusing glances around the table. It comes around to the 12 year olds turn and the kid points at a lone raider out in the middle of space and says he wants to launch the nuke. Everyone at the table asks if he really wants to do that, since nukes should really be used on the big Star Cruisers(or whatever they are called.), and they all say he can take back his move. He replies in a terrible embarssed twelve year old voice. "No no sorry I didn't know, umm...well lets just keep playing...sorry." The game continues going forward.
    His next turn comes around..."I want to launch the nuke at that other lone raider."

The players at the table come slowly to the realization.

The innocent little twelve year old had duped them into losing their nukes, and was in fact a Cylon.

Grinning with victory, he launched the missle as the remaining crew members threw their hands up in accusation of the now confirmed cylon traitor.

Thought you guys would like to hear that one.

I must be missing something. He's playing Adama, and drew the 'cylon traitor' card. He then points to a random raider, and pretends he wants to blow it up; the other players tell him it's a bad idea, and so he acts embarrased and backs off. And next turn, he repeats the first move.

Where... or, when, (I suppose) did he dupe people into losing their nukes?

He actually fired the nukes, the other players told him he could take back the move if he wanted to but he didn't want to slow the game down so he decided to continue playing.

rayofash on
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Oooh, I get it.

Nifty.

Tamin on
  • Options
    AkinosAkinos Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Alright, here goes: Battlestar Galactica Session Report!

First, I need to go over some rules...

Victory Conditions:
    Humans - Reach Kobol. This is done by making one final jump after accumulating a Destination score of 8 or more (Every time you jump you will earn a Destination Card with a score of 1, 2, or 3).
    Cylons - End humanity. This is done by destroying Galactica, dropping one of the fleets stats (Fuel, Food, Morale, Population) to 0, or getting a raiding party far enough into Galactica's innards.

Skill Checks
    The main avenue for Cylon subterfuge is by sabotaging skill checks. This is because all players contribute skill cards anonymously. To make things easier, the skill types are color coded:

Politics: yellow. Leadership: green. Tactics: purple. Piloting: red. Engineering: blue.

A skill check will involve from 1 to 4 colors, and a number. A skill check always includes 2 cards from the Destinty Deck (which consists of random skill cards), and then each player may add as many cards as they like. After the skill cards are revealed, you ADD all of the numbers from the correctly colored skill cards, and then SUBTRACT all of the numbers from the non-matching skill cards. If you meet or beat the skill check number, the check is a pass. This usually does nothing but avoid negative results, but can sometimes yield positive results.

Quick Reference - Player Turn
    1. Receive Skills - Draw Skill Cards based on your character's stats.
    2. Movement. - Move to any location. Discard 1 Skill Card if moving between ships (Galactica and Colonial One).
    3. Action - Take one action. You can take an action listed on your current location, an action on a skill card in your hand, or an action on your character sheet.
    4. Crisis - Draw and resolve a Crisis Card. This is when bad things happen.
    5. Activate Cylon Ships - Based on an icon on the drawn Crisis Card, the Cylon Ships on the board will activate in different ways.
    6. Prepare for Jump - If the Crisis Card has the Prepare for Jump icon, move the Prepare for Jump marker forward one space.

The Players
    I'm going to list the character sheets of the characters we used in this game to give you an idea of how the rules of the game really convey the spirit of the show, right down to the characters skills, personalities, and flaws. The titles of Admiral and President start out based on the show, but can change hands during the game. The Admiral controls the nukes. The President can draw from the Quorum Deck. Often times Crisis Cards will call for the Admiral or President to make a decision, instead of the active player.

Lee "Apollo" Adama (Me)
    pic361709_md.jpg

Karl "Helo" Agathon (Admiral)
    pic361710_md.jpg

"Chief" Galen Tyrol
    pic361711_md.jpg

Laura Roslin (President)
    pic361705_md.jpg

Kara "Starbuck" Thrace
    pic361707_md.jpg

Setup
    We're playing a 5 player game. We chose our characters and I put together the appropriate Loyalty Deck. With 5 players the Loyalty Deck consists of 2 "You Are a Cylon" cards and 8 "You Are Not a Cylon" cards. You add cards if Baltar or Boomer are playing, because they receive an additional Loyalty Card. I deal out the initial 5 Loyalty Cards and we got started! I take a gander at my Loyalty Card: I am "Not a Cylon".

Early Game
    Things started out fairly well. The game always starts with a Basestar and two Raiders, and since I was Apollo and got to start in a Viper, I headed straight for them. My one move got me close enough, so I played a piloting skill card that gives me 4 attacks. Attacks are based on rolling a d8, and Raiders are chumps that go down on a 3+. I start firing and kill one. Miss. Kill the second. Just me and the Basestar now. I need an 8 to hit it, but, why not? Fire! 8! Right in the exhaust vent! I draw a damage token and it looks like I took out its weapons. Sweet. I draw a fairly tame crisis hard and hand the turn over to Helo.

Helo, like any good Admiral, heads straight to Weapons Control and fires Galactica's main weapons at the Basestar. Bam! Hit! Helo draws a damage token and it's a crit! The two damage token, on top of the damage token from my turn, is enough to put the Basestar out of commission. And just like that the Cylons are wiped out. Starbuck, who was eager to get in a Viper, frowns at that. But we move on.

Space becomes eerily quiet as the Cylons leave us alone turn after turn. There is a chance that a Cylon Swarm will show up in the Crisis Deck, but so far it's mostly water/food shortages. Our first jump goes off without a hitch. Helo, as the Admiral, looks at the top 2 cards of the destination deck, ponders, and throws down a whopping 3. Woo!

We're drawing as many skill cards as we can in an attempt to pass skill checks, but it doesn't seem to help. There is definitely at least one Cylon among us. Accusations run rampant as we become paranoid at the lack of any Cylon fleet. What are they waiting for?

We manage to make another jump, despite failing every other skill check, without any Cylon fleets showing up. Helo looks at the top 2 destinations, frowns, throws down a 1. Not optimal, but still enough to get us halfway! This initiates the second round of Loyalty Cards...

Mid-Game
    I deal the Loyalty Cards out, carefully, one by one. Once they're out, I look at my new card. Still "Not a Cylon". I glance around the table. If there weren't 2 Cylons before, there are now. It's possible that one player received both Cylon cards, and in that case there is a Cylon location that lets a revealed Cylon hand one of their unrevealed Loyalty Cards to another player (dirty).

Accusations again run wild. We know someone is sabotaging the skill checks. Alas, we make yet another jump! Helo throws down another 1. Oh well. Some of us are gloating that this is going to be an easy ride for the humans. This game is easy!

The Chief is starting looking worried.. He doesn't say much in the turns leading up to his.. Why so drab there, Chief? Lo and behold, Tyrol attacks President Roslin and sends her to sickbay, and then offs himself before we have a chance to throw him in the brig. Off he goes to Cylon land. He draws his Super Crisis card and attempts to slow us down with Cylon fleet attacks.

The Cylons have a location that lets them look at the top two cards of the crisis deck and choose one, effectively letting them dig for Cylon Swarm cards (they bring the ships). With no Cylon ships in play, his Super Crisis is useless (many of them rely on at least one Basestar in play), so he goes digging.

Cylon Tyrol doesn't hand off his unrevealed loyalty card, so we continue to bicker. We're still not making skill checks, missing the mark ever so slightly each time. Helo thinks it's Starbuck. Starbuck thinks it's Helo or me. Roslin thinks it's Starbuck or Helo. I honestly have no idea. We press on.

Late Game
    A few jumps later, no sign of Cylons, despite Tyrols best efforts. Our destination total is 7. None of our stats have dropped into the red. Is this it? Is the final Cylon going to let us get away with this?

The next few turns don't go well. We fail skill check after skill check and all of our stats drop into the red. Morale is low. Cries of "WHO IS IT?! THEY WOULD'VE REVEALED THEMSELVES BY NOW!" ring throughout the room. Tyrol taunts us and laughs. Helo initiates a jump. He throws down another 1. 8 total. One more jump...

Helo draws his crisis card. Cylon Swarm. Basestar jumps in, launches Raiders and Heavy Raiders. Tyrol grins, he's up next. Tyrol drops the Super Crisis and activates every Cylon ship on the board, in addition to launching more Raiders and disabling our communications. We lose a few civilian ships and our population plummets. The Basestar fires on Galactica and takes out Weapons Control. Great.

Laughing maniacally, Tyrol draws two crisis cards, and throws down another Cylon Swarm. Another Basestar jumps in. More Raiders. More Heavy Raiders. Oh, Gods. The Heavy Raiders activate and move closer.

End Game
    Roslin's up. She uses Executive Order on Starbuck, giving Starbuck a move and an action during Roslin's turn. Starbuck jumps in her Viper and takes off, heading for the nearest toaster and opens fire. She takes out about half of the Raiders in a quadrant, she will draw fire from the civilian ships.

Roslin draws her crisis. Prison Riot. We fail the check miserably and Roslin has to had the Presidency to another player. She decides that Starbuck's recent Cylon slaying is reason enough to trust her, and names Starbuck President of the Colonies. Speaking of Starbuck, her turn is next.

Starbuck, President Thrace, continues shooting the crap out of everything. Her crisis activates the Raiders, who proceed to destroy the "redshirt" Vipers around her. They almost take her down, but she has an Evasive Maneuvers, causing them to reroll the attack, and subtract 2 from it. Thrace lives! Her crisis doesn't go as well, and both Basestars open fire. Galactica loses Command and the Research Lab. 3 more total damge and Galactica is history.

I'm up. Naturally, I make for the nearest Viper and take off in the opposite direction "around" the ship as Starbuck. I pull similar shenanigans and take down a swathe of Raiders and live to tell the tale. Despite our best efforts, most of our stats are down to 2 or 3. We're still a few ticks away from the final jump.

I draw my crisis card. It states that the Admiral must choose to sacrifice a nuke or to lower our Morale by 1. Our Morale is at 2. "The nuke!" we chant, "The nuke!"

Helo looks at us.

Looks down.

And turns the Morale down to 1.

There was screaming, yelling, standing up, pointing, cries of agony and defeat. Why, Helo?! Admiral! /Vader NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

We couldn't believe it. Helo! This whole time?! Our beloved Admiral... who had been choosing our destinations...... and it was his turn...........

Admiral Agathon casually sauntered over to the FTL Control. Our Jump Prep marker was at -1, meaning we risked losing 1 population if we jumped. Our Population was at 1.

There was a 50% chance that we would lose the population and lose before we would make the final jump and win. Helo reminded us that he could reroll once per turn, making it a 75% chance.

Regardless, he chose to jump, rolled the die, and ended the human race.

A+ Would play again.

Akinos on
  • Options
    SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Akinos wrote: »
    Alright, here goes: Battlestar Galactica Session Report!

This game sounds frakking awesome. Like a way more involved version of Bang!, taking all the backstabbing aspects to a higher level. One nitpick:
    Karl "Helo" Agathon (Admiral)
    pic361710_md.jpg

Isn't saying ECO Officer like saying PIN Number? Doesn't the "O" already cover Officer?

SlickShughes on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    (A gigantic game summary)

I have never watched the show, but I have the itch now... Or maybe I'll just watch you guys play. ::grabs some popcorn::

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    When does the BSG board game come out? I have a friend who is a huge fan of the show and loves playing settlers and carcassonne with me so I wanted to get it for this birthday.

Hmm, seems like October. Which is a pinch after his b-day. Whatever, pre-ordered, the dude can be patient.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    When does the BSG board game come out? I have a friend who is a huge fan of the show and loves playing settlers and carcassonne with me so I wanted to get it for this birthday.

Hmm, seems like October. Which is a pinch after his b-day. Whatever, pre-ordered, the dude can be patient.

October, eh? Seems to me like a good self-birthday present :D

crimsoncoyote on
  • Options
    DemosthornDemosthorn Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    That game sounds sick. Like Shadows over Camelot but the game sounds more fun.

Demosthorn on
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Pandemic looks pretty cool, actually. Quick co op games are interesting.

Yeah, it's quite awesome. Tricky to get sometimes, though, since printing's will sell out usually *very* quick.

I was debating at one time to do a PbP here for it, but laziness won out.

Oh, hey, do that.

SOIGH. Fine, figured out a easier way to handle it on the back-end. :3

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=67386

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I forgot to mention that the Chief was a Cylon from the beginning and Helo was turned mid game, which made it even harder to detect him because for the first half of the game he WAS on our side.

Also the guy playing Helo was some kind of evil genius/master bluffer. It was intense.

edit: PMAvers - I signed up!

Akinos on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Ya know, this Pandemic PbP is fun. If I had any idea how, I'd try to run a BSG PbP...

PMAvers, mind posting or PMing me some pointers?

Akinos on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I am so down for a BSG PbP, for the record.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I think I just need a good image of the board... This is the only image of the full board I can find:

game-board.jpg

Which might work if I type up all of the different actions on the locations, but I'd still prefer a larger image..

Skill checks would be interesting to do by post. D:

Akinos on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    There'd have to be a GM that doesn't play that actions are PMed to or some such.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Yeah. I wouldn't mind GMing. The game would take quite a while. Which is fine, as long as people go into it knowing that.

Akinos on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Ya know, I think I could work this... I'll go ahead and start taking sign ups in here while I figure this out.

I'm assuming Inquisitor wants to sign up. I'll take 4 more.

Akinos on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Ya know, I think I could work this... I'll go ahead and start taking sign ups in here while I figure this out.

That is a fair assumption my friend.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Sign me up, too - this could be the greatest almost-but-not-quite-Phalla I'll ever play in!

Ianator on
    steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

I'd love to get in on this, as long as it doesn't conflict with my schedule, though I don't think it will.

crimsoncoyote on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Sign up / Character Select thread is up: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=67417

Akinos on
  • Options
    UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Man, I loved that write-up, and I adore the show. I've got to sign up. I'm sure I'll have enough time during the day to read a PbP thread and evenings to post.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Ya know, this Pandemic PbP is fun. If I had any idea how, I'd try to run a BSG PbP...

PMAvers, mind posting or PMing me some pointers?

Basically, I'm using a Pandemic VASSAL module in Solitare mode to run mine, since it'll handle the hands, board, tokens, decks, etc.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    There'd have to be a GM that doesn't play that actions are PMed to or some such.
    That's how most PBP boardgames end up working, which is why there aren't too many as GMing them is boring.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    That's how most PBP boardgames end up working, which is why there aren't too many as GMing them is boring.

Don't think of yourself as a GM...

Think of yourself as a... happiness enabler!

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

Don't think of yourself as a GM...

Think of yourself as a... happiness enabler!

Luckily, I think GMing BSG is going to be a lot of fun. More of a betrayal and agony enabler.

Akinos on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    It's a damn shame that Bristol's Travelling Man has closed down as now the only place with boardgames seems to Forbidden Planet, which stocks such a paltry selection that they may as well not bother. The only vaguely interesting thing was a Catan expansion I'd not seen before: Traders & Barbarians. Anybody given it a whirl here?

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    TroyTroy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

You know, Fantasy Flight sold a limited quantity of BSG at Gencon. I know they are going to be at PAX this year, though I know its not as big of an event for them as Gencon it would probably be worth a look.

Troy on
  • Options
    OzmodaiOzmodai Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    It's a damn shame that Bristol's Travelling Man has closed down as now the only place with boardgames seems to Forbidden Planet, which stocks such a paltry selection that they may as well not bother. The only vaguely interesting thing was a Catan expansion I'd not seen before: Traders & Barbarians. Anybody given it a whirl here?

I gave the expansion a short review on a previous page. The box comes with five different scenario games inside, each one changes the game in either a small way for two of the games, or the final three scenarios which can be compared to the Seafarers or Cities & Knights in complexity.

I can't give you a full review of all the new scenarios since I've only played one. The rules for the others look pretty fun to me though. Definately pick it up if you enjoy any of the other expansion sets.

Ozmodai on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    So. I've got Settlers with expansions and Carcassonne right now. In october my group will be getting the BSG board game and Pandemic. So, we've got our co-operative and are indirectly competitive game categories covered. But, some of the people in the group are expressing interesting in something a little more...head to head. Any recommendations?

Oh, almost forgot to mention that the game needs to work decently with only 3-4 players.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    rattletraprattletrap Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So. I've got Settlers with expansions and Carcassonne right now. In october my group will be getting the BSG board game and Pandemic. So, we've got our co-operative and are indirectly competitive game categories covered. But, some of the people in the group are expressing interesting in something a little more...head to head. Any recommendations?

Oh, almost forgot to mention that the game needs to work decently with only 3-4 players.

What do you mean by head to head? Because BSG sounds pretty head to head.

EDIT: If it's "Screw yer neighbour" you're looking for, try Cutthroat Caverns.

rattletrap on
  • Options
    BitstreamBitstream Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Depending on how much fun your people will derive from stabbing each other in the back, Zombies!!! can be pretty fun. The game itself is nothing special, but it facilitates some fantastic "oh, you son of a bitch" moments through almost every event screwing someone over. Alas, the rest of my usual game group (aka my family, when we get together for whatever reason) doesn't get the point and finds the game boring. Your mileage may vary.

Bitstream on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    By head to head I meant something more along the lines of risk where direct conflict with other players is the goal.

In BSG yeah, you can screw people over. But, it's basically a co-operative game, except for one or two players are only pretending to be co-operative.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    rattletraprattletrap Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    By head to head I meant something more along the lines of risk where direct conflict with other players is the goal.

In BSG yeah, you can screw people over. But, it's basically a co-operative game, except for one or two players are only pretending to be co-operative.

I haven't played it, but I hear Dust is like Risk but better.

rattletrap on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

I'm a big fan of Age of Empires III: The Age of Discovery.

This game, which is nothing like the RTS (fine by me), does an excellent job of having that "euro" flavor while also having a military aspect to the game where you move troops around on a map of The New World and destroy each other.

Akinos on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Both of those sound promising. I'll do some research on them soon.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

A Game of Thrones?

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I want to get a card game for me and my wife to play.

My wife (who isn't a native English speaker, but is pretty good at English) and I often play card games together. I mean poker and stuff. We played Once Upon A Time with friends once, and she won and loved it.

She loves anything horror or fantasy. If it wasn't a CCG, MTG would probably be good, though maybe too fussy. I just can't like any CCG, no matter how great, because I picture the developer as some undulating mammon-spawn, 13 greed-arms grasping for my wallet...

So any ideas for a card game that isn't a CCG, is for 2 people, and has a magical/horror/supernatural theme?

Edit: Tales of the Arabian Nights sounds great, but might be hard to find - anyone played it?

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Anybody know a good/cheap online source for boardgames in the UK?

Mojo_Jojo on
This discussion has been closed.