As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[TF2] Team Drama 2: BitchNexus.

• Options
    AsiinaAsiina ... WaterlooRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I really can't understand people who play spy full time. I'll play on PA servers for a few minutes if we need to get stuff done or pubs for fun fun stabby time but it's generally so frustrating.

Asiina on
  • Options
    AsterithAsterith Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Asiina wrote: »
    I really can't understand people who play spy full time. I'll play on PA servers for a few minutes if we need to get stuff done or pubs for fun fun stabby time but it's generally so frustrating.

Agreed. The only time i tend to spy is for specific objectives, i.e. taking out an enemy base or sentry.

Asterith on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Asterith wrote: »

Agreed. The only time i tend to spy is for specific objectives, i.e. taking out an enemy base or sentry.

I like revolver spy.

If I try to play actual spy I get frustrated and stop after a few minutes.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    GreenPowerRangerGreenPowerRanger Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    DeMoN wrote: »
    Asterith wrote: »

I like revolver spy.

If I try to play actual spy I get frustrated and stop after a few minutes.

same here... the ppl that are good at in on our servers must have spent alot of time practicing...

GreenPowerRanger on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited September 2008
    its not so much the techniques.. but its more that they seem dumb enough to fall for it.. i personally think that we tend to be more clued up to spies.. except a few, such as you, jak and zen.. to name some main offenders.. maybe i just think too much of us lot. though personally i think were pretty awsome.

Honestly, when PA spies get me it's nearly always because I'm busy with other stuff. If I'm not firing at the enemies I'm always spychecking anything that moves. When I get backstabbed it's usually because I'm already firing at three other guys.

Echo on
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2008

once you really get a handle on moving like the other team, it becomes 'wait for them to line up, and then reap as though they were wheat'

that's probably just me though

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    Quaz and WallyQuaz and Wally Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I've wanted to master spy since I got Tuftoo in beta, and after I convinced myself to just stop playing medic and engi because I felt like my team needed it, I pretty much just practiced a whole lot of spy. Now I suck at everything else, almost to the point of finding it frustrating to play other classes, especially pyro. And I used to be decent at everything. So if I'm playing nothing but spy on your team, it's either because I need the self esteem boost and don't feel like sucking, or because I'm feeling particularly competitive.

Quaz and Wally on
  • Options
    angrylinuxgeekangrylinuxgeek Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Some of you guys need to test your mics. Some medic on Dustbowl last night was trying to tell me his plans for his uber and I couldn't understand shit he was saying, it sounded like he was in the middle of a wind tunnel. Kinda sad when the people spamming 4chan catchphrases and playing music have the best mic quality :/

Also, to that scout who yelled medic once then started whining in voice chat, f u.

angrylinuxgeek on
    sQwJu.png
  • Options
    syrionsyrion Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I object to the engineer being personified as a cute girl with an underwear problem.

syrion on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The worst is when people at full health spam their medic buttons.

It's like, no, I will not rush over and overheal you you bastard, this guy is at 25% of his max life.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I object to all the women in that guy's comic being objectified, down to weird zerg girls. But I don't want to go down that track again, that's for a different thread.

Edit: Um, tuftoo...

Quaz and Wally on
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Hruka doesn't like being my medic, because, well, suicidal Pyro is suicidal and he just isn't down with that. :P

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    cryohazardcryohazard Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Not only is it frustrating but it makes my heartrate spike. I get so nervous when I play spy that sometimes my hands will actually shake when I die. I have to make myself stop playing Spy and go back to a more mudane class like Medic or Engi.

cryohazard on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Hruka doesn't like being my medic, because, well, suicidal Pyro is suicidal and he just isn't down with that. :P

I can get pretty insane tunnel vision as a pyro and I usually tend to rush straight through the enemy until I'm cut off from friendlies.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    nlawalkernlawalker Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    No kidding. Options, Voice, Test Microphone, "check... check" at the start of each session takes ten seconds.

For those talking about mastering spy - the best thing to do is set expectations. Sure, sometimes you see someone rack up four or five backstabs in quick succession, but the spy isn't always a minister of death like that. That OMFGNinja vid is actually good in this respect in that a lot of the stuff it shows is a single quick backstab, cloak, run away. It doesn't feel as good as scything the entire advancing enemy front, but even a single backstab can massively turn the tides.

nlawalker on
  • Options
    Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    TF2 play down is down seriously due to classes, Warhammer, and NWN2 PW

So sad :(

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Sarksus wrote: »

I can get pretty insane tunnel vision as a pyro and I usually tend to rush straight through the enemy until I'm cut off from friendlies.

The only people I'll really beeline towards are Medics, because killing them (or making them pop an Uber early) means that Pyro Is Credit To Team. Also, they extinguish my flames.

Speaking of, my progress on Grand Rounds got reset the other day. o_O

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    nlawalker wrote: »
    No kidding. Options, Voice, Test Microphone, "check... check" at the start of each session takes ten seconds.

For those talking about mastering spy - the best thing to do is set expectations. Sure, sometimes you see someone rack up four or five backstabs in quick succession, but the spy isn't always a minister of death like that. That OMFGNinja vid is actually good in this respect in that a lot of the stuff it shows is a single quick backstab, cloak, run away. It doesn't feel as good as scything the entire advancing enemy front, but even a single backstab can massively turn the tides.

Just seeing Spy (backstab) Teammate in the kill notifications is enough to make Snipers unscope, Heavies turn around, and Engys ... well, they keep the Wrench out, they just start smacking something other than their buildings. :P

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    cryohazard wrote: »

Not only is it frustrating but it makes my heartrate spike. I get so nervous when I play spy that sometimes my hands will actually shake when I die. I have to make myself stop playing Spy and go back to a more mudane class like Medic or Engi.

You've shaken handedly made me feel bad for killing so many spies by accident.

Spies should not be standing in front of bored scouts. "Need a dispenser here!" I says, moving to bonk one as it builds. "Need a teleporter here!" I says, whipping out the bat. "WOOHOOHOO!" I says, standing over the corpse of a spy.

I feel like an instrument of despair now.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    Hey YouHey You Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'm done testing Abordight_test2 this week. A HUGE thanks to all the admins and PA crew for all your much much needed help and voting for the map when on, to help me out! I have included you all in the credit to the map on FPSbanana. I'm currently working to release abordight_test3 in a next 2 weeks or so. The next version should be fully optimized and include the long list of fixes I have for the map, so we can all have better gameplay and better fps 8-).

Hey You on
  • Options
    ArminasArminas Student of Life SF, CARegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Hey You wrote: »
    I'm done testing Abordight_test2 this week. A HUGE thanks to all the admins and PA crew for all your much much needed help and voting for the map when on, to help me out! I have included you all in the credit to the map on FPSbanana. I'm currently working to release abordight_test3 in a next 2 weeks or so. The next version should be fully optimized and include the long list of fixes I have for the map, so we can all have better gameplay and better fps 8-).

huzzah!

Arminas on
  • Options
    RebellionRebellion Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    and NWN2 PW

Hey, which one? Does it have a forum I can browse to see if it's a place I'd like to stop by some time?

Rebellion on
    "Be polite. Be efficient. Have a plan to kill everybody you meet."
    [IMG]http://www.alabasterslim.com/0/number 9.png[/IMG]
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Basil wrote: »
    You've shaken handedly made me feel bad for killing so many spies by accident.

Spies should not be standing in front of bored scouts. "Need a dispenser here!" I says, moving to bonk one as it builds. "Need a teleporter here!" I says, whipping out the bat. "WOOHOOHOO!" I says, standing over the corpse of a spy.

I feel like an instrument of despair now.

We were scoutrushing on Badlands once - about eight or nine of us.

Over voice chat as we all storm the first cap point, someone says, "Hey guys, I think we could use a teleporter."

From every speaker in the surround system, simultaneously:

"Need a teleporter here!"

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    iowaiowa Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Does anyone have some mid-level advice for spies? I can usually keep my score to about the middle of the pack (on bad days, of course, I stay at the bottom, but usually I can keep up). I find the revolver is not quite as reliable as I'd like, but other than that, any suggestions?

This is a really good guide, if you haven't already watched it. It has more stuff for spies that have pretty much learned all the basics to being a spy.

I'm always reluctant to try the stalking technique because the uncloak sound seems hella loud when it happens right next to you. I've waxed many a spy based on that sound alone. Most people have pretty slow reaction times, though.

iowa on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    iowa wrote: »
    Does anyone have some mid-level advice for spies? I can usually keep my score to about the middle of the pack (on bad days, of course, I stay at the bottom, but usually I can keep up). I find the revolver is not quite as reliable as I'd like, but other than that, any suggestions?

This is a really good guide, if you haven't already watched it. It has more stuff for spies that have pretty much learned all the basics to being a spy.

I'm always reluctant to try the stalking technique because the uncloak sound seems hella loud when it happens right next to you. I've waxed many a spy based on that sound alone. Most people have pretty slow reaction times, though.

I've always been afraid of uncloaking next to people because of this, but I've never heard the uncloaking sound from other spies. It hasn't really been a problem for me, the only time it was a problem was when I was trying to get some lone engineer.

Quaz and Wally on
  • Options
    ArminasArminas Student of Life SF, CARegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    iowa wrote: »

I've always been afraid of uncloaking next to people because of this, but I've never heard the uncloaking sound from other spies. It hasn't really been a problem for me, the only time it was a problem was when I was trying to get some lone engineer.

I usually uncloak somewhere first and then run around uncloaked. But if I so happen to find a delicious target nearby and am cloaked, i try to time my uncloak so that I'll reach my target just in time to stab them and then run away again.

Arminas on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

The only people I'll really beeline towards are Medics, because killing them (or making them pop an Uber early) means that Pyro Is Credit To Team. Also, they extinguish my flames.

Speaking of, my progress on Grand Rounds got reset the other day. o_O

Medics are my number one target. They're so helpless and make it impossible for me to kill anyone they're attached to. I'll ignore everything until the medics are dead. Even if I die the moment after killing one I will be satisfied.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    nlawalkernlawalker Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I was actually going to ask if other people can hear the uncloak sound. I don't think they should be able to if they can, as the "stalking" technique is integral to being a spy, as it's so hard to be one as it is.

nlawalker on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I would not object to a world where the failure of the Romulan cloaking device is not accompanied by a cheezy sound effect, although I would probably clock a few more hours as Pyro.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    iowaiowa Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    really i've never used the stalking technique. I don't target classes that I know I couldn't catch up with after decloaking from safety and going from there.

iowa on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I think my most effective technique as a spy was to cloak and stand in front of either a friendly or enemy sniper and super suicide when they scoped.

I did stab one once, though.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Medics are my number one target. They're so helpless and make it impossible for me to kill anyone they're attached to. I'll ignore everything until the medics are dead. Even if I die the moment after killing one I will be satisfied.

The most effective Pyro weapon is truly "chaos."

Nothing makes a pack of players scatter like a surprise Pyro encounter, short of crit explosive - in which case it's not the players scattering as much as their individual limbs.

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

The most effective Pyro weapon is truly "chaos."

Nothing makes a pack of players scatter like a surprise Pyro encounter, short of crit explosive - in which case it's not the players scattering as much as their individual limbs.

Getting behind a group of enemy players without them noticing you and then torching them from behind is fantastic. Many times the medics don't even do anything. They die in one place, healing the heavy who is engaging your teammates and needs healing.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Getting behind a group of enemy players without them noticing you and then torching them from behind is fantastic. Many times the medics don't even do anything. They die in one place, healing the heavy who is engaging your teammates and needs healing.

I just about got Clearcutter doing that once. Goddamn overhealed Heavy died to burn damage right after my second chop. :x

Edit - Seriously, this achievement is taunting me. I can't even get it when we're all dicking around and doing Melee-Only games. That and Pyromancer are the only two left.

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I unlock all the weapons and then just forget about achievements. Somewhere down the line I'll get some of the harder, or more grinding-based ones, without even knowing I was due to get them until the pop-up and fireworks.

@ Asiina: yeah, happens to me a lot actually. I can only assume that I haven't really hit them, despite all signs to the contrary, rather than the horrific idea of the crit not registering.

Sniper bloodspots and fluffed melee hits are some of my more major pet peeves.

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Edcrab wrote: »
    I unlock all the weapons and then just forget about achievements. Somewhere down the line I'll get some of the harder, or more grinding-based ones, without even knowing I was due to get them until the pop-up and fireworks.

@ Asiina: yeah, happens to me a lot actually. I can only assume that I haven't really hit them, despite all signs to the contrary, rather than the horrific idea of the crit not registering.

Sniper bloodspots and fluffed melee hits are some of my more major pet peeves.

It's only because I've gotten so goddamn close that it's annoying.

And I don't unlock squat - I'm still two achievements short of the Kritz for those few moments when I decide to play Medic. Which is also why I'm pissed that Grand Rounds got reset, as I was about 25 heals off. :x

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    AirExplosiveAirExplosive Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Which is also why I'm pissed that Grand Rounds got reset, as I was about 25 heals off. :x

Why not accumulate about 25 more heals then just unlock the achievement? You're not really cheating yourself out of anything if your progress was reset somehow.

Side Note: I favor a somewhat different approach regarding unlocks than most here, opting to unlock the milestones for the duration of the free weekend, then relocking them after that's over. New weapon fun for ~3 days, then achievements that count for something thereafter.

AirExplosive on

dil.gif
  • Options
    BrokenTripodBrokenTripod Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    zf_industry_a5
    zf_industry_a50000.jpg
    zf_industry_a50001.jpg
    zf_industry_a50002.jpg

I can't figure out how to make some of the graphical errors disappear. I just need to edit the capture point entities and then I'm declaring this version done, mainly because I've been annoyed to hell and back by this damned train.

So, yeah, nothing to be too excited about other than the whole new area. Not sure how well it plays, there might be too much room. Blarghargh.

EDIT: this is the same level as the one with the trainyard.

BrokenTripod on
  • Options
    GreenPowerRangerGreenPowerRanger Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    zf_industry_a5
    zf_industry_a50000.jpg
    zf_industry_a50001.jpg
    zf_industry_a50002.jpg

I can't figure out how to make some of the graphical errors disappear. I just need to edit the capture point entities and then I'm declaring this version done, mainly because I've been annoyed to hell and back by this damned train.

So, yeah, nothing to be too excited about other than the whole new area. Not sure how well it plays, there might be too much room. Blarghargh.

EDIT: this is the same level as the one with the trainyard.

looks atlot better than it did the other day!

GreenPowerRanger on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Which is also why I'm pissed that Grand Rounds got reset, as I was about 25 heals off. :x

Why not accumulate about 25 more heals then just unlock the achievement? You're not really cheating yourself out of anything if your progress was reset somehow.

Side Note: I favor a somewhat different approach regarding unlocks than most here, opting to unlock the milestones for the duration of the free weekend, then relocking them after that's over. New weapon fun for ~3 days, then achievements that count for something thereafter.

/shrugs

I hardly play Medic anyhow, so it's not like it's a major concern to me.

If I lost my Pyro weapons though, you'd better believe I'd be unlocking that shit right the fuck now.

PeregrineFalcon on
This discussion has been closed.