As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Wait a sec...S.T.A.L.K.E.R.?

• ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    krylon666 wrote: »
    Zetx wrote: »
    I think this has been covered before, but it's hard searching through all 48 pages :\
    I'm at the underground part looking for Strelok's Stash (went into the sewer entrance next to Mole) and I'm at the icon and all I see are a couple unbreakable crates and a grenade lying around. The crates lead up to this sewer hole-looking thing, but it's a small hole and doesn't have anything in it. :\ Where am I supposed to go now? >_<
    crawl inside the hole, and go up the ladder

Thanks. Whatever I'm wearing doesn't have a flashlight and green night vision seems to make things worse than they are. :lol:

Zetx on
    76561197966849367.png
  • krylon666krylon666 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Thanks. Whatever I'm wearing doesn't have a flashlight and green night vision seems to make things worse than they are. :lol:

yeah man, the green night-vision fucking sucks. but im pretty sure everyone always has a flashlight, hitting L doesn't bring it up?

krylon666 on
  • Liquid GhostLiquid Ghost DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES, TOO?! Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    So I start the game and "wake up" just outside of the Trader's office. Heading outside, I notice that the fellow who's usually standing around at the end of the road, facing in the direction of the Trader's underground crib, is gone. Seconds later, I hear loud shouts and gunfire. I pull out my Viper and take cover, leaning around to see what the hell is happening. Bullets spit against the ground next to me and splinter part of the fence away. Interesting.

I hurry around the back and notice that both Nimble and one other stalker, who were previously my friends, have completely snapped. They're randomly shooting everything in sight. That is, until Wolf has enough of their shit and flushes them out of a building, basically killing them by himself. I bounce around to see what the deal was and Wolf, upon seeing the gun in my hand, raises his own right to my head. I literally throw my firearm on the ground and back off. He relaxes and heads back to his watch point.

So much for keeping a few companions in the camp.

Liquid Ghost on
  • ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

yeah man, the green night-vision fucking sucks. but im pretty sure everyone always has a flashlight, hitting L doesn't bring it up?

Nope, it doesn't; maybe I don't have it checked in options, but the NPCs use 'em. (I'm wearing the Stalker armor in the house in the starting area which is now Merc armor post-patch.) I'll load the game up when I wake up and check my settings. (Though my user.ltx file says ai_use_torch_dynamic_lights off but I can't imagine why that would affect me using the light (which is bound to L, I checked that too :D))

Zetx on
    76561197966849367.png
  • BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Turn it back on. You should have a flashlight. All of the suits do.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • RookRook Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Ok, I've just finished the game, question about one of the endings...
    After meeting the marked one I get a choice of signing up to C-Consciousness or not, if I say no I get droppped back outside, is there another ending after that or are you just left to roam free?

Oh, and my wish
    I wanted the zone to go away. The cutscene is of the marked one in a beautiful field, he starts laughing and then realises somethings wrong, when he opens his eyes again they're all white

Rook on
  • TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I hate to be a pain, but I can't figure out weather or not installing the patch is a good idea. I'm only just now:
    entering the tunnels to find the underground stash after the military raid

so I'm not too worried about lost progress. I'm more concerned with the patch making the game more unplayable than it already is, regarding bugged systems, quests, and general stability.

What's the general word? Patch good? Patch bad?

TetraNitroCubane on
    VuIBhrs.png
    edited March 2007
    I hate to be a pain, but I can't figure out weather or not installing the patch is a good idea. I'm only just now:

so I'm not too worried about lost progress. I'm more concerned with the patch making the game more unplayable than it already is, regarding bugged systems, quests, and general stability.

If you don't currently have a problem with the game, I wouldn't patch it.

Rook on
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Ive heard nothing buy good things from the patch. Why would you not install it?

bloodyroarxx on
  • darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Rook wrote: »

Is there any tweaks to the gameplay at all or just bug fixes?

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007

And I've heard nothing but complaints for posters here, so I'm not installing it as I have no issues with the game as is.

Veevee on
  • TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007

Thanks. That's what I was wondering.

Really? I've heard nothing but bad things. Not only does it nullify your save games, it drastically increased crashes for some people. Some have reported loss in framerate on other forums. Add to that the fact that many gameplay aspects have been changed (armor not where it once was, armor deteriorating, etc.), and it's something of a different experience, from what I gather.

TetraNitroCubane on
    VuIBhrs.png
  • SladvanSladvan Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I installed the patch and to me it seems to run more smoothly and I've yet to crash. The game is a bit harder, but that's a good thing, it was getting too easy once you had a ton of money and good artifacts. I think everyone was just a bit spoiled with the unpatched game.

Sladvan on
    ken2.png
    edited March 2007
    After meeting the marked one I get a choice of signing up to C-Consciousness or not, if I say no I get droppped back outside, is there another ending after that or are you just left to roam free?

Oh, and my wish
    I wanted the zone to go away. The cutscene is of the marked one in a beautiful field, he starts laughing and then realises somethings wrong, when he opens his eyes again they're all white

ah nice (endings discussion - lots of spoilers - read at your own peril)
    your wish was different than mine, i guess the common "bad" ending is the "Rich" one. i had some theories on how to get different endings. i was thinking maybe if you were aligned with Duty or Freedom it would make a difference. like:

"bad" endings
    loner = rich
    freedom = yours (zone be gone)
    duty = keep it contained
    ???
    ???

"good" endings
    agree to help (say yes): sleep in the c-conscious tube thing
    dont help (say no): fight on for another hour, then get the "Real" ending

thats still only 5 endings though, wonder how to get all 7. thats assuming i'm right. did you join a faction?

also, it seems like the patch fixes a lot of bugs involving various NPCs and shit. seems pretty essential to me. yeah it up'd the cost of stuff, but some things were a bit easy. i think we were definitely spoiled. oh, and most of the crashes seem to be Vista people (from what i read) - and thats their own fault.

krylon666 on
  • SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    Conversely, I think the patch made the very beginning of game a wee bit easier. Or maybe it's just that I've attacked that carpark so many times now!

Szechuanosaurus on
    edited March 2007
    on the crash related note: "I managed to fix my consistent crashes by simply turning off EAX sound" saw that on another forum. this is interesting because my game crashed a few times and i noticed my sound driver in the blue screen. i'll have to try it out.

krylon666 on
    edited March 2007
    on the crash related note: "I managed to fix my consistent crashes by simply turning off EAX sound" saw that on another forum. this is interesting because my game crashed a few times and i noticed my sound driver in the blue screen. i'll have to try it out.

This makes sense to me. I've had EAX off from day one with this game, and the only time I've ever crashed it was when I fiddled around in the console, and tried to change the whether. I think I just used the wrong command then.

Yeah, the EAX thing, though, was brought up on the official forums, too.

TetraNitroCubane on
    VuIBhrs.png
  • harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Patch made my game stop crashing when loading data (little floppy icon in the corner). Where once it would just CDT now it hangs for a couple seconds and then everything keeps going fine.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

This makes sense to me. I've had EAX off from day one with this game, and the only time I've ever crashed it was when I fiddled around in the console, and tried to change the whether. I think I just used the wrong command then.

Yeah, the EAX thing, though, was brought up on the official forums, too.

That doesn't fix my crashes, but then again, I have Vista. I'm really disappointed here. I have the limited edition awesome looking box sitting right next to me, teasing me, and I can't enjoy it. I'm even more disappointed that THQ acknowledged the issue, said it would be fixed in the patch, and it isn't. :(

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    picked up stalker a coupel days ago but haven't had a chance to install yet.

I suuuure hope it's good, at the very least yay DVD version

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
    edited March 2007
    wait shit there are patch issues???? where can I learn more?

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
    edited March 2007
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    wait shit there are patch issues???? where can I learn more?

I've read good things about the patch, honestly, from non-Vista users. As a Vista user, there is an acknowledged issue with the game and the OS by THQ that causes the game to crash constantly. It seems to build up memory usage, and with no more memory left, the game asks for memory that isn't there. That's what I gathered from the log file, anyways. THQ said it would be fixed in the patch, which it isn't. Other than that, the patch seems great, as it improves performance (I even noticed this right away, too) and fixes numerous bugs and multiplayer issues (mp is really good; everyone should go try it).

Dashui on
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I think the patch is good if you haven't played yet. It makes old saves unplayable/changes balance, so you wouldn't know the difference.

captaink on
  • EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Dashui wrote: »
    ...multiplayer issues (mp is really good; everyone should go try it).

Wait, was MP just added in the patch or did I miss something here?

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
    edited March 2007
    Edcrab wrote: »
    Dashui wrote: »
    ...multiplayer issues (mp is really good; everyone should go try it).

Wait, was MP just added in the patch or did I miss something here?

... Uh, no, it was included from the beginning. And it's actually really fun. I'm disappointed no one was talking about it.

Dashui on
    edited March 2007
    Yeah, the fact that I hadn't noticed anyone mention it erroneously led me to believe there was no MP. Thankee for the correction!

...don't suppose there's co-op, is there?

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
    edited March 2007
    hmm well I'm still on XP anyways so I guess I'll patch when I install. I HATE when shit degrades though

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
    edited March 2007
    Edcrab wrote: »
    Yeah, the fact that I hadn't noticed anyone mention it erroneously led me to believe there was no MP. Thankee for the correction!

...don't suppose there's co-op, is there?

Missed the MULTIPLAYER button on the main menu, eh? :P No, there's no co-op, but a lot of people want it back in and when the mod tools come out, you can probably expect it. Vehicles, too, as the code is still there. There's a lot of code from development still in the game, including what they had of co-op, so I imagine it won't be long after those tools are released.

Dashui on
    edited March 2007
    Alas, I still don't have the game just yet. Damn non-teleporting deliveries!

Now to register at all the modding communities and pointlessly berate them until a coherent co-op/vehicle mod appears, as is the tradition...

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
    edited March 2007
    well i tried to get the book (Roadside Picnic) that the movie (and therefore, game) was based on, to find that not only is it out of print - but it sells for a million dollars used. maybe the library will have it.

as far as gaming on Vista goes, why would you go to Vista so soon anyway? not really trying to sound offensive here, but remember when sp2 came out and everything broke? pc gamers should all know not to trust any new major upgrades coming from MS right off the bat. give it awhile to let the devs get up to speed, and for MS to fix their shit.

krylon666 on
  • JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    edited March 2007
    well i tried to get the book (Roadside Picnic) that the movie (and therefore, game) was based on, to find that not only is it out of print - but it sells for a million dollars used. maybe the library will have it.

as far as gaming on Vista goes, why would you go to Vista so soon anyway? not really trying to sound offensive here, but remember when sp2 came out and everything broke? pc gamers should all know not to trust any new major upgrades coming from MS right off the bat. give it awhile to let the devs get up to speed, and for MS to fix their shit.

I researched Vista before buying it, trust me. It's actually been a very bug free, compatible experience. Everything I've installed has run great. I don't have a performance loss from Vista, either, as was the worry before. I love the new features, as well. For release, it's actually been good. However, STALKER is the only game to have an incompatibility, and the issue is a memory leak that THQ acknowledges. They said the patch would fix it, and it doesn't, so I'm a bit displeased. There really is no reason not to support it, either, with new PCs (your Dells, Gateways, HPs, etc) shipping with Vista pre-installed.

Dashui on
  • BerkBerk THE BUDGIE SMUGGLER Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    this game is awesome I drank 14 bottles of vodka then fought a giant testicle with some dudes face on it.

only thing that annoyed me so far was when I was helping this guy take some readings he told me to go first because it was dangerous. I quickly realized this was just a cunning ruse. the first chance he got he bolted right past me into the distance in a frenzied charge for scientific data.

He died a true scientists death gunned down by a gang of zombies.

Berk on
    sig-1.jpg
    edited March 2007
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

see, i posted that cause i knew you guys would prove me wrong by finding it much cheaper. but yeah, i saw it for like 30-100 (depending on the printing) which was more than i wanted to spend on a short story. that $11 one looks like a new printing, which is fine by me, but negates what the bookstore people said. good find!

krylon666 on
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007

what?
    i might buy this soon.

Also, the whole Dark Valley stuff scared the jibblies out of me:( stupid poltergeists. And i've still not found any guns i prefer to my fast-firing (and super-accurate) AK. Snagged a bullpup, but it really didn't impress me.

edit: beat'd!

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

see, i posted that cause i knew you guys would prove me wrong by finding it much cheaper. but yeah, i saw it for like 30-100 (depending on the printing) which was more than i wanted to spend on a short story. that $11 one looks like a new printing, which is fine by me, but negates what the bookstore people said. good find!

I wiki'd it and saw that they had an ISBN for a new printing that came out last month.

There's also a collection of Soviet SF stories on Amazon that includes Roadside Picnic for like $25.

DarkPrimus on
    edited March 2007

Oh, and my wish

ah nice (endings discussion - lots of spoilers - read at your own peril)
    your wish was different than mine, i guess the common "bad" ending is the "Rich" one. i had some theories on how to get different endings. i was thinking maybe if you were aligned with Duty or Freedom it would make a difference. like:

"bad" endings
    loner = rich
    freedom = yours (zone be gone)
    duty = keep it contained
    ???
    ???

"good" endings
    agree to help (say yes): sleep in the c-conscious tube thing
    dont help (say no): fight on for another hour, then get the "Real" ending

thats still only 5 endings though, wonder how to get all 7. thats assuming i'm right. did you join a faction?

also, it seems like the patch fixes a lot of bugs involving various NPCs and shit. seems pretty essential to me. yeah it up'd the cost of stuff, but some things were a bit easy. i think we were definitely spoiled. oh, and most of the crashes seem to be Vista people (from what i read) - and thats their own fault.

Ahh, thankyou so much, guess I have another hour to play the game :)

I was just a Loner though. Because of the crash issues in certain zones I pretty much only did the main quests. and none of the side quests.

Rook on
    edited March 2007
    Ahh, thankyou so much, guess I have another hour to play the game :)

I was just a Loner though. Because of the crash issues in certain zones I pretty much only did the main quests. and none of the side quests.

nice, when you're doing that part it may seem confusing. my cryptic advice "head for the light.." hah.

as far as our endings go
    maybe i amassed too much money, so i got the Wish that i did.. now i'm really curious how to get the other wishes! haha, watch it just be random..

krylon666 on
    edited March 2007

I wiki'd it and saw that they had an ISBN for a new printing that came out last month.

There's also a collection of Soviet SF stories on Amazon that includes Roadside Picnic for like $25.

Er, well... Ah... If you're really hard pressed to find it, check the very, very bottom of the Wiki page under external links (Is that allowed? I'll pull this post if it isn't, but I figure what the hell, it's wikipedia). The translation isn't all that grand, but it's consistent throughout all versions so far. I'm liking what I've read up to now, too.

TetraNitroCubane on
    VuIBhrs.png