As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Yao Ming's Career Memorial Thread

• Options
    yotesyotes Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Let's suspend Rafer for five games. Free Aaron Brooks!

yotes on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    riposte101 wrote: »
    This is the Laker's year. Detroit is done, Iverson is not going to make that team better. Kobe will get MVP.

Excuse me sir.

1213765144_0659.jpg

These three gentlemen would like a word with you.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    riposte101 wrote: »
    This is the Laker's year. Detroit is done, Iverson is not going to make that team better. Kobe will get MVP.

Excuse me sir.

1213765144_0659.jpg

These three gentlemen would like a word with you.

You never know, though. And to quote one of those gentlemen...

ANYTHING'S POSSIBLLLLLLLE!

Idx86 on
    sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Could someone explain the yearly "Kobe is going to take us all the way, the Lakers are awesome, everyone else sucks" irrational exuberance? We're talking about the same Kobe that quit on his team for years during crunch time, and that completely sucked in last year's Finals, right?

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I'm usually amused at how overlooked the Cavs are every year, and this year is no different. They are a team built to win a playoff series, not 60+ regular season games. I'm not sure why people talk about Detroit along with Boston in the East, because Cleveland's been better than Detroit the last 2 years.

They played Boston the toughest out of anyone in the playoffs. If any other Cav besides Lebron had done anything in Game 7, they could've beaten Boston.

They swept the season series from the Lakers last year.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    peteaboda1peteaboda1 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    BubbaT wrote: »
    I'm usually amused at how overlooked the Cavs are every year, and this year is no different. They are a team built to win a playoff series, not 60+ regular season games. I'm not sure why people talk about Detroit along with Boston in the East, because Cleveland's been better than Detroit the last 2 years.

They played Boston the toughest out of anyone in the playoffs. If any other Cav besides Lebron had done anything in Game 7, they could've beaten Boston.

I was impressed with how Atlanta played them last year and it doesn't look to be a fluke because they've been great so far.

As for Hamilton, really, I know his injury and why he wears it, I just don't like him. I thought I implied that with my last comment but maybe not as well as I would have liked to.

peteaboda1 on
    AcridMeat.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008

I agree the Cavs are the second best team in the East, behind the Celtics. The Pistons run of success is clearly fading.

But let's not use rose colored glasses here. Last year, the Celtics sucked in the first two playoff series on the road. But remember, they beat Detroit and LA in 6 (as a side, I believe both Detroit and Cleveland would have beat LA), meaning that they won games on the road. If the Celtics had played the Cavs in the East Finals, and Detroit in the Semis, Detroit might have used the lack of playoff experience to a greater extent than the Cavs did and beat the Celtics in 6 or 7.

But this season? The Celtics are still the better team than the Cavs in a 7 game series. The Celtics just have more experience and better talent, outside of one obvious position. I also believe the coaching is better from the Celtics side as well.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

I agree the Cavs are the second best team in the East, behind the Celtics. The Pistons run of success is clearly fading.

But let's not use rose colored glasses here. Last year, the Celtics sucked in the first two playoff series on the road. But remember, they beat Detroit and LA in 6 (as a side, I believe both Detroit and Cleveland would have beat LA), meaning that they won games on the road. If the Celtics had played the Cavs in the East Finals, and Detroit in the Semis, Detroit might have used the lack of playoff experience to a greater extent than the Cavs did and beat the Celtics in 6 or 7.

But this season? The Celtics are still the better team than the Cavs in a 7 game series. The Celtics just have more experience and better talent, outside of one obvious position. I also believe the coaching is better from the Celtics side as well.

I agree the Celtics are favorites this year ahead of Cleveland.

I disagree that the reason they struggled with Cleveland in the playoffs last year was simply due to playoff inexperience. Against Atlanta that could be a valid reason, as they led off with 2 blowout wins and may have let off the gas a bit. But whenever they needed a win in that series, it wasn't even close. Boston won the "swing" games, 5 and 7, by 25 and 35 points respectively.

But I would say they struggled because Cleveland was the best defensive team they faced in the playoffs. The Celtics didn't score 100+ against Cleveland once. Cleveland was the only team to hold Boston under 70 in a game. Even though they again won the "swing" games, they did so in 7 and 5 point wins that were each decided in the final minute.

The Cavs completely took Ray Allen out of the series. In those 7 games vs CLE, Allen averaged 9 ppg on 33% shooting. In the 19 games vs ATL/DET/LAL, Allen averaged 18 ppg on 45% shooting. Effectively turning Boston's Big 3 into a Big 2 made it a much, much tougher road for Boston.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    So is Oden making it through this game uninjured?

Shhhhh don't jinx it

Medopine on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I can't recall single a moment in the last 5 years in which I've been more disappointed with the Clippers than after losing at home last night to a Kevin Martin-less, Francisco Garcia-less Kings team.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I am so excited that this might finally be the year where my high hopes for Marquis Daniels don't end in tragedy.

Go Pacers...

Frosteey on
  • Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    so I read somewhere that Anthony Morrow can shoot the ball pretty well.

TelMarine on
    3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Mark Cuban being charged by the SEC with insider trading.

I have no idea why someone would willingly pay Erick Dampier $10 million then turn around and break the law in order to save $750 thousand.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Al Harrington the the Knicks

Jamal Crawford to the Warriors

NY gets what it wants, a contract that expires by 2010 so they can offer the max to Lebron.
    GS gets a 20 ppg scorer, albeit at an already loaded position, for a guy who was sitting out until his trade demands were met.

Seems like a win-win in terms of just this deal, but it signals a long-term commitment by GS to small ball. That's now 4 SGs they have extended, big-$$$ commitments to.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Looks like Randolph is off to Clipperland for Cuttino and Thomas

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    New rumor is Dallas could be a 3rd team in the Randolph trade, sending out Stackhouse + others.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Zach Randolph, Mardy Collins to Clippers
    for
    Cuttino Mobley, Tim Thomas to Knicks

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/2008/11/21/2008-11-21_knicks_trade_jamal_crawford_for_al_harri.html

Knicks are now fully prepped for the Summer of Lebron.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    The Raging PlatypusThe Raging Platypus Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    for

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/2008/11/21/2008-11-21_knicks_trade_jamal_crawford_for_al_harri.html

Jesus fucking christ, and I was just starting to get cozy with our core players this year.

I guess this really IS a lottery year, since we just lost our top two scorers. :P

The Raging Platypus on
    Quid wrote: »
    YOU'RE A GOD DAMN PLATYPUS.
    PSN Name: MusingPlatypus
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I'm so pissed at the Clippers right now.

Elton Brand left because the Clippers lowballed him with their initial free agent offer. Then they turn around and agree to pay Zach fucking Randolph $16 million, $16M, and $17M over the next 3 years.

Elton Brand vs Zach Randolph: is this a hard choice for anybody else?

Dumbleavy = Isaiah 2: Zeke Goes West

edit: oh, and new rumor of Chris Kaman to Charlotte for either Jason Richardson or Gerald Wallace, plus a 1st round pick.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    i think jamal crawford is a pretty good fit for the warriors, not to mention he is shooting 45% from 3.

TelMarine on
  • Options
    WerdnaWerdna Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    for

So this marks the re-union of D'antoni and Tim Thomas. Gratuitous three point jacking and hand waving taunts. Thank you basketball Jesus -- wherever you are. I wonder what the odds of them nabbing Eddie House. Starbury for House & fodder.

I long to watch a lineup of:
    Thomas-C
    Lee-PF
    Q-Rich-SF
    Nate Robinson-PG
    Mobley-SG

Werdna on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Shaq has a twitter and it is hilarious

http://twitter.com/The_Real_Shaq

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Shaq has a twitter and it is hilarious

http://twitter.com/The_Real_Shaq

I'm watchn my 8 yr old son play, i'm jealous hes a better free throw shoota

hahahahah

peteaboda1 on
    AcridMeat.png
  • Options
    WerdnaWerdna Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Why doesn't shit like this happen to the likes Vernon Maxwell or Shawn Kemp?

Anyway, good luck Rogers.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3744237&campaign=rss&source=NBAHeadlines

Former NBA and college basketball star Rodney Rogers is paralyzed as the result of an all-terrain vehicle accident, his college coach told the News & Observer of Raleigh-Durham, N.C.

[+] Enlarge
    Rodney Rogers

Jim McIsaac/Getty Images

Rodney Rogers was one of the NBA's best sixth men and a respected 3-point shooter during his 12-year pro career.
    Dave Odom, who coached Rogers when he earned All-America honors at Wake Forest and was the 1993 ACC Player of the Year, said Wednesday that his former star is paralyzed from the shoulders down, according to the report.

"Say a prayer for Rodney and his family,'' Odom said, according to the newspaper.

Rogers, 37, who had a 12-year NBA career and won the league's sixth man award in 1999-2000, was riding in the woods in rural Vance County, N.C., last week when he fell off the vehicle, according to the North Carolina Highway Patrol, the newspaper reported. He was recently transferred from Duke Hospital to the Shepherd Center in Atlanta, which specializes in rehabilitation for people with catastrophic injuries.

A Durham native who starred in high school football and basketball, Rogers had returned to his hometown and was working for the city public works department as a heavy machinery operator. He was promoted to a supervisory position six months ago, according to the report.

He was also volunteering as a girls' basketball coach at a Durham middle school and had set up a computer lab at a city public housing complex, according to the report.

His agent and lawyer, James "Butch" Williams, described Rogers as "an outdoorsman, plain and simple," according to the report. "He hunts, motorcycles, rides horses. He loves big trucks," Williams said.

Rogers, who was financially set, took the job with the Durham DPW because he liked working with heavy trucks, Williams said, according to the report.

"Rodney isn't the type to sit around twiddling his thumbs. There aren't any jobs he considers too small for him," Williams said, according to the News and Observer. "He started his own trucking company and was usually the lead driver. He'd be out there driving to the quarry at 3:30 in the morning."

Michael Balzarano, who oversaw Rogers at the Durham DPW, said Rogers was not working for the city as a lark until he got bored.

"I didn't even know he had lots of money. He is very friendly, very concerned, very conscientious," Balzarano said, according to the report. "We chose him because of his ethics and his attitude. He was highly motivated. He was promoted to supervisor six months ago."

Rogers entered the NBA as the first-round draft choice of the Denver Nuggets in 1993. He played for the Nuggets, Los Angeles Clippers, Phoenix Suns, Boston Celtics, New Jersey Nets, New Orleans Hornets and Philadelphia 76ers until retiring after the 2004-05 season. He reached the NBA Finals with the Nets in 2002-03, and his trade to the Celtics during the 2001-02 season sparked Boston on a run to the Eastern Conference finals.

In 12 seasons Rogers averaged 25.3 minutes and 10.9 points per game and shot 34.7 percent from 3-point range.

Werdna on
  • Options
    Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I loved Rogers when he was on the C's. At least he's still alive.

Folken Fanel on
    Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    That sucks. Any chance he can beat it like Kevin Everett did?

When Rogers was a rookie on the Nuggets, there was a game where Denver trailed Utah by 8 with 30 seconds left. Game over, right?

Not so fast. Rogers hit 3 quick 3-pointers to score 9 points in 9 seconds to give Denver the lead.

http://www.youtube.com/v/rhCy8q2p5Jw&hl

I also remember he was part of the doughiest frontline ever assembled, starting alongside Lamond Murray and Stanley Roberts on the Clippers, with Kevin Duckworth coming off the bench.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    GOOD
    FUCKING
    RIDDANCE
    RANDY
    WITTMAN!!!

And McHale has stepped down as GM to coach. The table has been set for his dismissal provided the Wolves play as bad as I think they will.

Idx86 on
    sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Man, coaches are going down left and right.

And yet, Dumbleavy is completely safe because he's his own GM. How depressing.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    That sucks. Any chance he can beat it like Kevin Everett did?

When Rogers was a rookie on the Nuggets, there was a game where Denver trailed Utah by 8 with 30 seconds left. Game over, right?

Not so fast. Rogers hit 3 quick 3-pointers to score 9 points in 9 seconds to give Denver the lead.

http://www.youtube.com/v/rhCy8q2p5Jw&hl

I also remember he was part of the doughiest frontline ever assembled, starting alongside Lamond Murray and Stanley Roberts on the Clippers, with Kevin Duckworth coming off the bench.

That video hurt my eyes, but yes Rodney Rogers was a good player, best of wishes to him.

peteaboda1 on
    AcridMeat.png
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Not so big trade:

Wizards get:
    Mike James
    Javaris Crittenton

Hornets get:
    Antonio Daniels

Grizzlies get:
    future 1st round pick (their own pick back they traded to WAS for Juan Carlos Navarro in 2007)

BIG trade:

Suns get:
    Jason Richardson
    Jared Dudley
    2010 2nd round pick

Bobcats get:
    Boris Diaw
    Raja Bell
    Sean Singletary

BubbaT on
  • Options
    yotesyotes Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I don't understand how this helps the Wizards at all. They signed huge extensions for Gilbo and Jamison in the off-season, so they're probably not rebuilding. How does trading a good/great backup PG and a potentially great pick for Mike James (dude thinks his teammates are only props in the Mike James show) and Crittenton who at this point probably wouldn't crack Miami's guard rotation make you a better bet to win now?

Is Grunfeld just trying to make his successor's job harder?

yotes on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I love me some Eddie House.

Folken Fanel on
    Characters I hate:

• Options
    edited December 2008
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30YLF7T8PGw

HORSE shot in an NBA game, awesome.

TelMarine on
  • Options
    ZimmydoomZimmydoom Accept no substitutes Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

21-2. Best start in franchise history comes in a 34 point win, 12th in a row.

Larry Bird is not walking through that door, fans. Kevin McHale is not walking through that door, and Robert Parish is not walking through that door. And it's a good thing too, because they'd get their asses handed to them by this Celtics team.

Zimmydoom on
    Better-than-birthday-sig!
    Gim wrote: »
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
    While sitting in a reclining chair
    Now there are Zim-Bear hybrids
    Running around and clawing eyelids
    Watch out, a Zim-Bear is about to have sex with yooooooou!
  • Options
    PhonehandPhonehand Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Haha, Marco Bellinelli is such a great shooter

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Big Baby Davis just stole the ball, took it all the way up the court, dished to Tony Allen who finished the play.

I love this team so much.

Folken Fanel on
    Characters I hate:

• Options
    ZimmydoomZimmydoom Accept no substitutes Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Big Baby Davis just stole the ball, took it all the way up the court, dished to Tony Allen who finished the play.

I heard that KG made him cry the other day and that made me sadface.

Zimmydoom on
    Better-than-birthday-sig!
    Gim wrote: »
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
    While sitting in a reclining chair
    Now there are Zim-Bear hybrids
    Running around and clawing eyelids
    Watch out, a Zim-Bear is about to have sex with yooooooou!
  • Options
    PhonehandPhonehand Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Yes that did happen

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Zimmydoom wrote: »

I heard that KG made him cry the other day and that made me sadface.

what do you expect from a player named big baby?
    i was actually rooting against him in the ncaa championships just so he might cry

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Zimmydoom wrote: »

21-2. Best start in franchise history comes in a 34 point win, 12th in a row.

Larry Bird is not walking through that door, fans. Kevin McHale is not walking through that door, and Robert Parish is not walking through that door. And it's a good thing too, because they'd get their asses handed to them by this Celtics team.

Woah Zimmy, let's not go that far. Seriously. The '86 team had 4 Hall of Famers on it, and a 5th that should be in there.

Look, these Celtics are certainly a great team, but damn man...there's no way they're better than Bird, McHale, Parrish, Johnson and Walton.

JustinSane07 on
This discussion has been closed.