Options

Cartoon Network Discussion Thread

CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for!Registered User regular
edited January 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
Started over in G & T from a Billy and Mandy game thread that was going awry, here is the Cartoon Network discussion thread.
Guys, if this thread gets locked for off-topicness, promise me you will start a thread about Cartoon Network cartoons in the Debate and Discourse forums.
Get on topic! <:evil:>

To D&D, guys! Quick!

So how about those 12 oz Mouse and American Naruto and One Piece episodes :wink: ?

Note: This discussion encompasses all of CN, including Adult Swim and Toonami.

post.png
Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
Cokomon on

• Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    To this day I am amazed at the stuff the Billy and Mandy writers get away with.

That is all.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    urbmanurbman Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    cartoon network sucks anymore. They keep getting rid of quality shows for the most shitty animes for stupid little goth topic kids to jump all over.

urbman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Every original cartoon they've aired outside of Adult Swim since Genndy Tartakovsky's stuff has been shit. On the other hand, Adult Swim's stuff is about 50/50 pure shit/pure awesome.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Toonami Jestream has Megas XLR. Apparently I do dig giant robots.

moniker on
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited October 2006

That is all.
    So true. I've seen more cartoon ass on that network in the past year that the ten year previously combined.

Also, the chocolate sailor episode makes me laugh hard.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited October 2006

That is all.

And despite that, the Doujin still managed to surprise me.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    ScrumtrulescentScrumtrulescent Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Gyral wrote:

That is all.
    So true. I've seen more cartoon ass on that network in the past year that the ten year previously combined.

The Harry Potter parodies are pretty good too.

Scrumtrulescent on
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Every original cartoon they've aired outside of Adult Swim since Genndy Tartakovsky's stuff has been shit. On the other hand, Adult Swim's stuff is about 50/50 pure shit/pure awesome.

I will not hear a damn word against Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends.

I WILL NOT.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    KusuguttaiKusuguttai __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2006
    Sarksus, that is a Genndy Tartakovsky work.
    Pay attention.

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    edited October 2006

You know, honestly, [as] has been doing rather well of late. The new Venture eps are absolutely fantastic, Metalokalypse is entertaining, Robot Chicken has been having a good season, and Birdman looks to be it's going to be a good season, too.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    Hotlead JunkieHotlead Junkie Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Gyral wrote:

That is all.

*Chomp* AAAAAAAHHHH! *Chomp* AAAAAAAAH! *Chomp* ... well, you get used to it

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    moniker wrote:
    It's too bad the writing in Megas XLR was on par with all of CN's other original cartoons, which is to say ear-bleedingly bad. I tried to like Megas, I really did, but I cringed every time anyone said anything.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Sarksus wrote:

I WILL NOT.

Yeah man, Foster's is awesome.

Pata on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Kusugattai wrote:
    Pay attention.

Craig McCracken.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Sarksus wrote:

I WILL NOT.

<insert comment about Flash>

Jragghen on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Sarksus wrote:
    Kusugattai wrote:
    Pay attention.

Craig McCracken.
    I could have sworn it was Genndy Tartakovsky. Didn't he do powerpuff girls and dexter's lab, or am I just high?
    I could have sworn it was all the same guy, though now that you mention it, Craig McCracken did PPG.

They look like the same animation style though.

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I saw part of a Billy and Mandy where Cthulhu was pink and enjoyed golf, I wrote so many angry letters that they began to form words and phrases themselves and set about fleshing out a rough draft of some kind of angry ultra-letter. Then a I laughed a little, because hey, pink cthulhu.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Kusugattai wrote:
    Pay attention.
    No, but it's close. It's Craig McCracken, who did Powerpuff Girls with Genndy. And maybe also Samurai Jack I think. I guess Foster's is the best out of a bad bunch.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    moniker wrote:
    It's too bad the writing in Megas XLR was on par with all of CN's other original cartoons, which is to say ear-bleedingly bad. I tried to like Megas, I really did, but I cringed every time anyone said anything.

Damn near everything in the show was a pun. How can you not like puns?

moniker on
  • Options
    ScrumtrulescentScrumtrulescent Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Sarksus wrote:

I WILL NOT.

Yeah man, Foster's is awesome.

This thread is bursting with so much truth.

It would make Jesus cry with joy.

Scrumtrulescent on
  • Options
    CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Jragghen wrote:

You know, honestly, [as] has been doing rather well of late. The new Venture eps are absolutely fantastic, Metalokalypse is entertaining, Robot Chicken has been having a good season, and Birdman looks to be it's going to be a good season, too.

Also Korgoth of Barbia, whenever that actually gets a whole season.

Cokomon on
    post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    urbman wrote:
    cartoon network sucks anymore.

...Wow.

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Cokomon wrote:
    Jragghen wrote:

And, rejoice, Genndy Tartakovsky is animation director for Korgoth :D

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited October 2006
    moniker wrote:
    moniker wrote:

Read some Xanth and say that again.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Cokomon wrote:
    Jragghen wrote:

It was good for a pilot, but I'm going to wait and see how it holds up as an actual show. I think it would work better as a 15 minute show instead of a half hour. (It is a half hour show, right?)

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the next show by the Sealab guys.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Kusugattai wrote:
    Pay attention.
    No, but it's close. It's Craig McCracken, who did Powerpuff Girls with Genndy. And maybe also Samurai Jack I think. I guess Foster's is the best out of a bad bunch.
    McCracken and Tartakovsky just did Powerpuff Girls together.

Genndy did Dexter's Lab and Samurai Jack by himself, and McCracken does Foster's solo.

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    Software PirateSoftware Pirate Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Cokomon wrote:
    Started over in G & T from a Billy and Mandy game thread that was going awry, here is the Cartoon Network discussion thread.
    Guys, if this thread gets locked for off-topicness, promise me you will start a thread about Cartoon Network cartoons in the Debate and Discourse forums.

To D&D, guys! Quick!

So how about those 12 oz Mouse and American Naruto and One Piece episodes :wink: ?

The all make baby Jesus cry.

Naruto and One Piece show exactly how badly you can fuck up concepts as awesome as ninjas and pirates. Ninjas shouldn't wear fucking hunter vest orange, and pirates shouldn't spend all their fucking time in tundras and desserts!

That said, Robot Chicken, Venture Brothers, Metalcopcalypse, and Korgoth completely own me.

Software Pirate on
    sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    That makes sense.

edit: Software, die in a fire. The original One Piece is nothing but pure fun.

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    samurai.jpg

One of the few shows where I can honestly say I have never seen a bad episode, there are only great eposides and utterley fantastic episodes, my favorite being the episode where a robot gangster with emotions is sent to kill Jack after his dog gets kidnapped by Aku. I well up every time I watch that one.

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    samurai.jpg

I wish I could lime that picture.

But it is too awesome.

Pata on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    I have but one word with which to describe how freaking awesome Venture Bros is.

PWOSSITUUUUDES!!!!

...seriously, wasn't last week's episode the sickest, most twisted VB to date? Awesome Scooby Doo send-up, though. Greatest I've seen.

Software Pirate on
    sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    In addition to Foster's if you do not enjoy Billy and Mandy, I will hunt you down.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Aroduc wrote:
    moniker wrote:
    moniker wrote:

So the show is bad because other shows are better?

moniker on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Not actually a mod. Roaming the streets, waving his gun around.Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited October 2006
    Codename: Kids Next Door is CN, right? I like that show. It doesn't ownz0rz me, or anything, but it's usually pretty cool. There was an episode where all the kids are trying to deliver a pizza, or something, and it's split up into five sections, each one focusing on a different kid, and each one with a story and art style tailored after the particular kid (the one about Number 3 done all in crayon and making no fucking sense was the best). It was the first episode I saw, and I thought it was more or less brilliant.

No other episode has been that good, but they all are pretty nifty.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Aroduc wrote:
    moniker wrote:
    moniker wrote:

I'm pretty sure that telling someone to read Piers Anthony is a violation of the Geneva Convention.

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    moniker wrote:
    Aroduc wrote:
    moniker wrote:
    moniker wrote:

So the show is bad because other shows are better?

Obviously. It's a cardinal law of the internet. Once you like something, everything remotely similar or competitive sucks.

Software Pirate on
    sig.jpg
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Yeah, actually, I've been watching KND in the background during the boring TV hours (10:00-10:30),

It's suprisingly decent, though there are times when it's really, really, really overly teh kiddy.

Also: that girl's grandfather is Cosby.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    samurai.jpg

I wish I could lime that picture.

But it is too awesome.

The whole show looks fantastic, they even go so far as to say Jack is a ninja who can hide in the light so they can animate a badass black and white fight scene where Jack and the ninja keep dissapearing into shadows and light.

Anyone ever see the eposide where Jack finds the little girl who's parents are possesed and he goes into the spirit world to fight the dragon? Fucking fantastic animation there.

This show has also spawned one the greatest characters of all time

scottish.jpg

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Cokomon wrote:

To D&D, guys! Quick!

The all make baby Jesus cry.

Naruto and One Piece show exactly how badly you can fuck up concepts as awesome as ninjas and pirates. Ninjas shouldn't wear fucking hunter vest orange, and pirates shouldn't spend all their fucking time in tundras and desserts!

That said, Robot Chicken, Venture Brothers, Metalcopcalypse, and Korgoth completely own me.

Getting OT, but you guys completely have to watch the German dub of Naruto sometime. It's got worse editing than American One Piece.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I can't wait to see how Korgoth fares as an ongoing show. Any word on whether Diedrich Bader will continue doing the voice of Korgoth?

And Samurai Jack was awesome. I loved the episode that followed the robot assassin.

[spoiler:77958b7229]It's a giant reference to Léon, right?[/spoiler:77958b7229]

One Thousand Cables on