As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cartoon Network Discussion Thread

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Are they ever going to actually finish Samurai Jack?

moniker on
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    ElJeffe wrote:
    Codename: Kids Next Door is CN, right? I like that show. It doesn't ownz0rz me, or anything, but it's usually pretty cool. There was an episode where all the kids are trying to deliver a pizza, or something, and it's split up into five sections, each one focusing on a different kid, and each one with a story and art style tailored after the particular kid (the one about Number 3 done all in crayon and making no fucking sense was the best). It was the first episode I saw, and I thought it was more or less brilliant.

No other episode has been that good, but they all are pretty nifty.

Yeah, that's Cartoon Network.

It, along with Billy and Mandy, were actually voted into Cartoon Network's line up by some kind of poll, there was a big event, they showed all these pilots for shows.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    ScrumtrulescentScrumtrulescent Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Sarksus wrote:
    In addition to Foster's if you do not enjoy Billy and Mandy, I will hunt you down.

Man, your sig made me laugh for about 5 minutes.

Edit: Fucking awesome.

Scrumtrulescent on
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    moniker wrote:

No.

[spoiler:a8f8052458] :cry: [/spoiler:a8f8052458]

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited October 2006
    It, along with Billy and Mandy, were actually voted into Cartoon Network's line up by some kind of poll, there was a big event, they showed all these pilots for shows.

Huh, cool.

Also, Billy and Mandy is probably my favorite CN show, including all the Adult Swim stuff.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Software PirateSoftware Pirate Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Foster's certainly has its moments, but it treats Bloo like Homer Simpson.

Step 1: Blue is stupid and/or selfish
    Step 2: Use step 1 to move plot

Software Pirate on
    sig.jpg
  • Options
    Hotlead JunkieHotlead Junkie Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I can't wait to see how Korgoth fares as an ongoing show. Any word on whether Diedrich Bader will continue doing the voice of Korgoth?

And Samurai Jack was awesome. I loved the episode that followed the robot assassin.

[spoiler:4aa6eef352]It's a giant reference to Léon, right?[/spoiler:4aa6eef352]

Like I said before, that is my favorite episode of Samurai Jack, everything works so perfectly and the robot knowing that he probably won't survive the encouter with Jake makes the entire episode very moody. Yuo ony see Jack for 5 seconds in that one.

Oh man, the zombie-rave kids episode, I swear that had Jet Set Radio written all over it :lol:

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited October 2006
    moniker wrote:
    Aroduc wrote:
    moniker wrote:
    moniker wrote:
    Toonami Jestream has Megas XLR. Apparently I do dig giant robots.
    It's too bad the writing in Megas XLR was on par with all of CN's other original cartoons, which is to say ear-bleedingly bad. I tried to like Megas, I really did, but I cringed every time anyone said anything.

Damn near everything in the show was a pun. How can you not like puns?

Read some Xanth and say that again.

So the show is bad because other shows are better?

Obviously. It's a cardinal law of the internet. Once you like something, everything remotely similar or competitive sucks.

Wow, way to miss the point, and not only not hit the target, but possibly injure the person standing behind you.

The statement was "How can you not like puns?" And the response was "Go read something full of so many puns that you'll choke to death on them." How you guys came to the conclusions that you did is a miracle of unnatural science.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    billy and mandy has a whole lot of refrence to stuff.

A dune refrence. I would not consider obscure.

A God Emprior of Dune episode...

well, that just fucking special.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    KusuguttaiKusuguttai __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2006
    Foster's certainly has its moments, but it treats Bloo like Homer Simpson.

Step 1: Blue is stupid and/or selfish
    Step 2: Use step 1 to move plot
    Unlike classic homer, that is all there really is to Bloo.

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Aroduc wrote:
    moniker wrote:
    Aroduc wrote:
    moniker wrote:
    moniker wrote:
    Toonami Jestream has Megas XLR. Apparently I do dig giant robots.
    It's too bad the writing in Megas XLR was on par with all of CN's other original cartoons, which is to say ear-bleedingly bad. I tried to like Megas, I really did, but I cringed every time anyone said anything.

Damn near everything in the show was a pun. How can you not like puns?

Read some Xanth and say that again.

So the show is bad because other shows are better?

Obviously. It's a cardinal law of the internet. Once you like something, everything remotely similar or competitive sucks.

Wow, way to miss the point, and not only not hit the target, but possibly injure the person standing behind you.

The statement was "How can you not like puns?" And the response was "Go read something full of so many puns that you'll choke to death on them." How you guys came to the conclusions that you did is a miracle of unnatural science.

That conversation went from A to B and then to E. I'm somewhere around C and lost the fucking map, so I'll just go sit in the corner.

Also, was I the only one who did a spit-take in that one Billy and Mandy episode with Billy's "Dream Mutt?" Just hearing the announcer say "Now that's what I call doggy-style!"

Software Pirate on
    sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    moniker wrote:

They showed something in one episode that shows what will probably happen to him

[spoiler:8c1d88ba73]You see a portal to the future wher Jack is like 70 years old and dresed like a warrior king, this is most likley when he defeats Aku as one character in the episode keeps teling Jack that 'you ain't ready yet'[/spoiler:8c1d88ba73]

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    DversedDversed Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Foster's is great.

The episode were Frankie and Mac are teaching Bloo about sarcasm was awesome.

And Jetcars ftw!

Dversed on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Aroduc wrote:

By never having heard of your reference.

Be careful with your balance on that horse, it's a long way to fall.

moniker on
  • Options
    Alexan DriteAlexan Drite Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Senjutsu wrote:
    Kusugattai wrote:
    Sarksus, that is a Genndy Tartakovsky work.
    Pay attention.
    No, but it's close. It's Craig McCracken, who did Powerpuff Girls with Genndy. And maybe also Samurai Jack I think. I guess Foster's is the best out of a bad bunch.
    McCracken and Tartakovsky just did Powerpuff Girls together.

Genndy did Clone wars and Samurai Jack by himself, and McCracken does Foster's solo.
    Fixed, Craig was the art director on Dexter's Lab. In fact some of the best episodes had Craig working on it.

C:KND seems to be developing a story arch or something, I watched a new episode the other day, where #1 thought he was the President (Operation: W.H.I.T.E.-H.O.U.S.E.). At the end
    [spoiler:391ec66af7]You see some dark figures in the background saying, he is progressing[/spoiler:391ec66af7]
    And the movie was actually pretty good.

Alexan Drite on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    moniker wrote:
    Aroduc wrote:

No, I had heard of the reference. I just... had no idea where the statement after that came from.

Software Pirate on
    sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Dversed wrote:
    Foster's is great.

And Jetcars ftw!
    YOU'RE DOING IT RIGHT NOW!!

Riiiiight. I'm doing it riiiight noww. Suuuuuuuuuure.

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    moniker wrote:

They showed something in one episode that shows what will probably happen to him

[spoiler:794d9dba31]You see a portal to the future wher Jack is like 70 years old and dresed like a warrior king, this is most likley when he defeats Aku as one character in the episode keeps teling Jack that 'you ain't ready yet'[/spoiler:794d9dba31]

Right, but I meant a feature that shows the final conflict instead of a cliffhanger like that where you know Jack wins, eventually, but it's never shown.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Kusugattai wrote:
    Dversed wrote:
    Foster's is great.

And Jetcars ftw!
    YOU'RE DOING IT RIGHT NOW!!

Riiiiight. I'm doing it riiiight noww. Suuuuuuuuuure.

I laughed out loud after remembering that moment. What a great show.

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited October 2006
    moniker wrote:
    Aroduc wrote:

If only there was somewhere on the internet you could go to find information instead of jumping to random conclusions that aren't even in line with the original statement. Such a Philosopher's Stone of information would truly be a glorious and unprecidented boon for our society.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xanth

Aroduc on
  • Options
    ZampanoZampano Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    redx wrote:

They referenced Dune a second time, too. The beauty pageant one. They had all the girls dress up in different themes. One of them was "Gom Jabbar", which cued one of the girls with her hand in a box yelling "It burns!!!"

I watch Fosters for one reason, and for one reason only:

Cheese.

Zampano on
    BrawlSig.gif
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2006
    Aroduc wrote:
    moniker wrote:
    Aroduc wrote:

If only there was somewhere on the internet you could go to find information instead of jumping to random conclusions that aren't even in line with the original statement. Such a Philosopher's Stone of information would truly be a glorious and unprecidented boon for our society.

If Wikipedia's a Philosopher's Stone of knowledge then I'm a giant animate suit of armor.

And I am not.

Rust on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Two words: Johnny Bravo. Best show on Cartoon Network or best show of all time?

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Neither.

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Rust wrote:
    Aroduc wrote:
    moniker wrote:
    Aroduc wrote:

If Wikipedia's a Philosopher's Stone of knowledge then I'm a giant animate suit of armor.

And I am not.

Which reminds me:

CN is showing Courage this month, due to Halloween and all that nonsense. It's been totally divorced from the lineup for a long time, which is a real shame, since it's some of the best writing and art I've seen on that channel.

Some of the stuff makes Billy and Mandy look like a bed of roses.

Zampano on
    BrawlSig.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Kusugattai wrote:
    Neither.

It's just beyond your grasp.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    ScrumtrulescentScrumtrulescent Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Zampano wrote:
    redx wrote:

They referenced Dune a second time, too. The beauty pageant one. They had all the girls dress up in different themes. One of them was "Gom Jabbar", which cued one of the girls with her hand in a box yelling "It burns!!!"

I watch Fosters for one reason, and for one reason only:

Cheese.

cheese.jpg

"I pooted."

Scrumtrulescent on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Kusugattai wrote:
    Neither.

Right.

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    hambonehambone Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    So... ah... is it okay that I think 90% of Robot Chicken sucks ass?

There's a funny bit here and there, but I really can't abide "celebrity humor". It's like watching the E! channel while reading X-Entertainment, but with piss-poor claymation.

I'm a bit apprehensive about this Frisky Dingo show too, considering how awful Sealab 2021's last two seasons went.

But, on a good note, how about them new episodes of Harvey Birdman?

hambone on
    Just a bunch of intoxicated pigeons.
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Kusugattai wrote:
    Kusugattai wrote:
    Neither.

Right.

Your awesome scale must be a bit off.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    JB got completely lame near the end of its run, when they changed the animation, but some of the earlier episodes were gold (i.e., that Twilight Zone parody with the kid who sent people to the cornfield).

Zampano on
    BrawlSig.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Kusugattai wrote:
    Kusugattai wrote:
    Neither.

Right.

Your awesome scale must be a bit off.
    I am not saying it's not funny; I'm saying it's neither the best show on Cartoon Network (Dexter's Lab) nor the best show ever.

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited October 2006

Hmmm... is neither a choice in there? Courage The Cowardly Dog totally owned Johnny Bravo. Nauuuughty.

Aoi on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Next to Samurai Jack, Courage had and still has the best art in all of Cartoon Network.

Zampano on
    BrawlSig.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Aoi wrote:

Hmmm... is neither a choice in there? Courage The Cowardly Dog totally owned Johnny Bravo. Nauuuughty.

I 'unno, Courage was really good but I watched it from the very first episode on the Cartoon Cartoon block to the very last one, and it eventually started to repeat the same formula alot.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    While some episodes of Dexter are plainly brilliant, I just didn't feel that it kept up in constant quality

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2006
    I like the art direction and music of Foster's but I don't really care for the show. Billy and Mandy reminds me too much of Cow and Chicken, which I loathed.

I also don't like Codename: KND...To be fair I'm not exactly in cartoon network's target demographic any more.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Zampano wrote:
    Next to Samurai Jack, Courage had and still has the best art in all of Cartoon Network.
    Foster's, later episodes of Dexter's Lab

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Zampano wrote:
    JB got completely lame near the end of its run, when they changed the animation, but some of the earlier episodes were gold (i.e., that Twilight Zone parody with the kid who sent people to the cornfield).

When did they add that nerdy guy that was supposed to be Johnny's friend?

Cokomon on
    post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    KND, Foster's, and Billy & Mandy are all great shows with something for the older folks: KND has some subtle adult humor and an overarching story, Foster's humor is fantastic, and Billy & Mandy is about as fucked up as you can get on basic cable.

It's just too bad Toonami's gone to pot with Pokemon Chronicles (which may be the second worst dub 4Kids has ever done. How do you go from the decent Pokemon dub to that shitfest?) and the even worse One Piece dub.

Le sigh.

Furu on