Options

GEARS OF WAR 2

• Options
    SamSam Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    dragonsama wrote: »
    OK I know I am behind per say but I just reached that "infamous" scene. besides the bad acting it left me with a lot more questions than anything.

First off Marcus
    It didn't really seam like he tried to stop Dom at all. He could have went two different routs with him. One was to be a jerk and pull rank and and tell him leaving the mission means going AWOL and getting court marshaled back up on the surface. the other scenario (the one that painfully obvious ) was to use logic.

"hey buddy I know you want to save your wife but what are you going to do with her when you find her? we are stuck underground with a lot of big ugly things that want to kill us. If we bust her out now she's going to be a target and get killed. Then the rescuing her would have been pointless. She's safer in one of those tin cans for now. Why don't we fire off the beacon and double back with reinforcements. Hell I'll let you go off with the rescue teams to pick her up."

Seams logical to me.

then his reaction to Dom killing his own wife was very meh. It had "whatever" written all over it.

Dom
    I get that he saw his perfect vision of his reunion with Maria for a few seconds before coming back down the reality and seeing how badly the locus messed her up and that she was sort of zombie like. But why did he kill her? you would think he would want to try to get her to the surface to get some treatment to bring try to bring her back to normal. instead he just blows her brains out.

To top that off his "I want to kill them all" statement sounded like he was more bored than enraged. Maybe it was the acting but I would think that I'd be a really pissed off and screaming bloody murder after seeing something like that.

If that scene was trying to get an emotional reaction from you it succeeded in doing that. but Instead of the "that was so tragic" reaction it gave me "what the hell just happened here?" .

This is what happens when Cliff B thinks he can write a story

"Boom"

Sam on
  • Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    subedii wrote: »

Hahahaha.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    Paradox ControlParadox Control Master MC Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Ya'll need to send me a friend request or something, I might be on later to play some games!

Paradox Control on
    \
  • Options
    Paradox ControlParadox Control Master MC Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Whos down for some games!?

Paradox Control on
    \
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    OK I know I am behind per say but I just reached that "infamous" scene. besides the bad acting it left me with a lot more questions than anything.

First off Marcus
    It didn't really seam like he tried to stop Dom at all. He could have went two different routs with him. One was to be a jerk and pull rank and and tell him leaving the mission means going AWOL and getting court marshaled back up on the surface. the other scenario (the one that painfully obvious ) was to use logic.

"hey buddy I know you want to save your wife but what are you going to do with her when you find her? we are stuck underground with a lot of big ugly things that want to kill us. If we bust her out now she's going to be a target and get killed. Then the rescuing her would have been pointless. She's safer in one of those tin cans for now. Why don't we fire off the beacon and double back with reinforcements. Hell I'll let you go off with the rescue teams to pick her up."

Seams logical to me.

then his reaction to Dom killing his own wife was very meh. It had "whatever" written all over it.
    Dom said it himself; Marcus did a very similar thing to try and save his father. If anyone would understand, it should be him. Marcus didn't like it, but Dom has always been there for him, especially when he saved Marcus from being executed for treason (for abandoning his post) and then breaking him out of prison when Hoffman was going to leave him to rot.

Also, Marcus has always been an emotional brick. (The book actually goes into why that is, but it's best to just not expect much in the way from emotions from him).
    Dom
    I get that he saw his perfect vision of his reunion with Maria for a few seconds before coming back down the reality and seeing how badly the locus messed her up and that she was sort of zombie like. But why did he kill her? you would think he would want to try to get her to the surface to get some treatment to bring try to bring her back to normal. instead he just blows her brains out.

To top that off his "I want to kill them all" statement sounded like he was more bored than enraged. Maybe it was the acting but I would think that I'd be a really pissed off and screaming bloody murder after seeing something like that.
    It was euthanasia. She had been tortured, starved, imprisoned and lobotomized, and she appeared to be pretty much a step away from being a vegatable. Disregarding the difficulty of getting her to the surface in her state while trying to complete their mission, it didn't seem like she would be able to reach anything near a recovery and would probably spend the rest of her life suffering, if not remain near-comatose. Rather than see his wife exist in that state, he chose to put her out of her misery.

As for Dom's statement, I took it as him reaching a calm point where all he wants to do is destroy locust; rather than going into a rage. He's definantly angry, but rather than going beserk, he's going into soldier mode like he was trained to.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    MightyMighty Omeganaut '15 '16 '17 NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    If you add me, i'll join you

Mighty on
    Twitch: twitch.tv\dreadmighty
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Mighty wrote: »
    If you add me, i'll join you

I rented this, so if anyone wants to add me my GT is BlueDouble. I'll also add some people from here.

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

First off Marcus

Seams logical to me.

Dom said it himself; Marcus did a very similar thing to try and save his father. If anyone would understand, it should be him. Marcus didn't like it, but Dom has always been there for him, especially when he saved Marcus from being executed for treason (for abandoning his post) and then breaking him out of prison when Hoffman was going to leave him to rot.

Also, Marcus has always been an emotional brick. (The book actually goes into why that is, but it's best to just not expect much in the way from emotions from him).
    Dom

It was euthanasia. She had been tortured, starved, imprisoned and lobotomized, and she appeared to be pretty much a step away from being a vegatable. Disregarding the difficulty of getting her to the surface in her state while trying to complete their mission, it didn't seem like she would be able to reach anything near a recovery and would probably spend the rest of her life suffering, if not remain near-comatose. Rather than see his wife exist in that state, he chose to put her out of her misery.

As for Dom's statement, I took it as him reaching a calm point where all he wants to do is destroy locust; rather than going into a rage. He's definantly angry, but rather than going beserk, he's going into soldier mode like he was trained to.
    Pretty much 100% green to this. I got that scene and it felt pretty effective to me.

Prohass on
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    redfield85 wrote: »
    subedii wrote: »

Hahahaha.

Why would you do this. He even gave you the present you asked for.

Ungrateful bitch.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    Saint JusticeSaint Justice Mercenary Mah-vel Baybee!!!Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Kids these days. . .SANTA, SANTA! I WANT A LANCER! . . . .SO I CAN KILL YOU!

Saint Justice on
    Some people play tennis, I erode the human soul. ~ Tycho
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I thought that Lancer was what she had stashed previously under her bed whilst waiting for him. Guess she wanted to make good with all the toys in the sack.

subedii on
  • Options
    Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    This has probably been answered a hundred times already, but I have not read the whole thread so maybe someone can give me the short version.

I understand that GoW2 has a more-than-two-players-at-a-time campaign mode. Is this true? If so, is it only available over LIVE, or can you set up a three- or four-man campaign game over a LAN, Halo 3-style?

Iron Weasel on
    Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • Options
    Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008
    This has probably been answered a hundred times already, but I have not read the whole thread so maybe someone can give me the short version.

I understand that GoW2 has a more-than-two-players-at-a-time campaign mode. Is this true? If so, is it only available over LIVE, or can you set up a three- or four-man campaign game over a LAN, Halo 3-style?
    Campaign is only two players but you can play horde with five. You can only have two people on one xbox though.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I finished my insane campaign today, but I'd still like to play through it on co-op sometimes if anyone is interested.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So apparently the higher the difficulty, the longer the toast conversation goes. Played it first on insane and then on casual.

Marcus: "WHO WANTS TOAST?"
    Dom: "I like 'em crispy!"
    Marcus: "I like 'em EXTRA crispy!"
    Dom: "Hell yeah!"

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Fizban140 wrote: »

Campaign is only two players but you can play horde with five. You can only have two people on one xbox though.
    Aw, shucks. I was hoping for some LAN campaign action.

Still, Horde is supposed to be good fun, no?

Thanks for the quick reply.

Iron Weasel on
    Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • Options
    TheGreatestAliasEverTheGreatestAliasEver Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Sup guys. Most of you won't know me, but i've been on the forums for a long while now ((mostly the pen and paper threads))... anyone up for some horde or multiplay?

EDIT: It would probobly help if i included my GT... it's BloodWalker 666

TheGreatestAliasEver on
  • Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So apparently the higher the difficulty, the longer the toast conversation goes. Played it first on insane and then on casual.

Marcus: "WHO WANTS TOAST?"
    Dom: "I like 'em crispy!"
    Marcus: "I like 'em EXTRA crispy!"
    Dom: "Hell yeah!"

hahaha that kicks ass

Nuzak on
  • Options
    gogglesgoggles Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I will pick this up soon and join my fellow man in slaughtering hordes of enemies.

goggles on
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Just finished the campaign for this last night. A quality experience all the way. Yes the story itself isn’t high art, but it’s so over the top you can’t help to grin for the whole ride. I mean you
    cut your way out of a giant worm with chainsaws on your guns.
    The dialog just helped to facilitate this fist pounding experience. And the story was interesting enough for me to want to know what happens next, in a soapy kind of way. I loved the improvements to the guns, it made them feel more like actual guns and the new weapons are all amazing. The one thing that really hasn’t gotten enough love is the sense of scale this game produces. It’s the first game I’ve played in a long while that really gives the feeling of being part of a greater war effort with battles happening all around you. Even if delta squad
    kills bosses and steals brumarks
    whilst alpha squad just fights a couple grubs. I’d say my only problems with the game were that the non shooting sections were slightly too numerous, they were good in small quantities but tended to drag, however, they blew last games out of the water. So three to have vehicle sections on or better then Halo? And the size of the actual gun fights whilst bigger than the last could have one with a couple like the massive courtyard fight in one.

Though I’m pretty surprised
    just how long Benji lasted, living longer then both the redneck (presumably) and the spiritual warrior.
    Both characters whom I really wasn’t a fan of. They’re totally setting up either
    Clay or David/Daniel/D.Carmine to be a complete badass.
    They’ve already mentioned how experienced they are, and we’ve already had the jump from useless to competent.

Apart from that all I’ve done is a couple games of horde, and I’ve already found it to be amazingly fun, I can see this lasting me a long while. Especially if I can actually get some games with people on my friends list and not randoms.

Edit: Shit, sorry if I spoiled anyone, my bad.

Leitner on
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Gears 4 is gonna be "saving private carmine"

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'm having a blast playing this game online.

I just ran into someone using a meatshield and the shotgun at the same time, which was annoying.

Speaking of meatshields, how do you counter that in general? It seems a very, very powerful move and I'm not really sure how to go about dealing with it, other than just swarm the guy with your team. But what do you do in a more 1 on 1 situation when you don't have something like a boomshot?

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    LookFreeGrenadeLookFreeGrenade Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    Gears 4 is gonna be "saving private carmine"

if one of the acts doesnt revolve around this i will be sorely dissappointed.

there also has to be a bridge defense mission in that act.

LookFreeGrenade on
    ormskm.jpg20i89qa.jpg73f2j6.jpg
  • Options
    LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Hey guys,
    Avoided this thread like the plague, but now I've finished the game, I can talk about it. My game of the year (sorry GTA IV, you got pipped at the post). It just gets better and better and better. An amazing lesson in choreography and adrenaline orchestration, as well as the awesome technical achievements and clear amount of work put into it.

Can someone point me to some spoiler-rific post full of conjecture regarding the final sound that comes at the end of the credits?
    Adam Fenix's "What have you done?" And any speculation as to what the whole secret Niles base thing and the Sires taken to the mountain means? I'm guessing that the Locust were forced up from the ground by COG in order to keep an indefinite war going, to maintain power and generate cashflow and all that faux-political stuff. Right?

Lewisham on
  • Options
    capnricocapnrico Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    I'm having a blast playing this game online.

I just ran into someone using a meatshield and the shotgun at the same time, which was annoying.

Speaking of meatshields, how do you counter that in general? It seems a very, very powerful move and I'm not really sure how to go about dealing with it, other than just swarm the guy with your team. But what do you do in a more 1 on 1 situation when you don't have something like a boomshot?

A well placed smoke grenade will make them drop the body. Anything that would have killed them will instead destroy the body. Other than that, just shoot the shit out of it. Headshots can still be gotten past the body.

capnrico on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Cool, thanks. I guess I can capitalize on their slowness and inability to take cover too, just keep running away and plinking at them.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I finally got around to setting all my sensitivity levels to high and oh my god the game plays so much better.

Should I start a new thread for this?

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Lewisham wrote: »
    Hey guys,
    Avoided this thread like the plague, but now I've finished the game, I can talk about it. My game of the year (sorry GTA IV, you got pipped at the post). It just gets better and better and better. An amazing lesson in choreography and adrenaline orchestration, as well as the awesome technical achievements and clear amount of work put into it.

Can someone point me to some spoiler-rific post full of conjecture regarding the final sound that comes at the end of the credits?
    Adam Fenix's "What have you done?" And any speculation as to what the whole secret Niles base thing and the Sires taken to the mountain means? I'm guessing that the Locust were forced up from the ground by COG in order to keep an indefinite war going, to maintain power and generate cashflow and all that faux-political stuff. Right?
    I think you are correct, since they described COG as a small, secretive group before the war that came to power only after the emergence of the Locust. They obviously knew about the Locust and were preparing for them, maybe even experimenting with them in an attempt to make genetically modified soldiers which is what The Sires appear to be.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    LookFreeGrenadeLookFreeGrenade Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    lot of the COG stuff got retconned i think, because they couldn't have gone into power after the locust emerge if
    Niles is worrying about the old COG chairman not letting him escape into the mountain

and plus letting loose a race of bug people that drive you to extinction is a horrible way to gain political power

LookFreeGrenade on
    ormskm.jpg20i89qa.jpg73f2j6.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I hate this game.

I hate this game, and I hate that I have to hate it.

I hate that the Matchmaking is a horrible, slow and outdated piece of shit where I have to retry several times to get into a group.

I hate that I can't go one game without one or more of the fucking players quitting on the first round. Today I joined a game where I was the one, single player in my team while everyone else in the opposing team remained. And no, I didn't try to go solo.

I hate that almost no one in this game uses voice chat, and the ones that do are usually 10 or younger.

I hate that Microsoft and Cliffy B don't really seem to give a flying shit over the Matchmaking situation, and have done absolutely nothing three months later to fix what should be a very simple thing to fix.

I hate that a sequel to the game that sold me a 360 has managed to displease me so greatly. I also hate that I keep going back to it, hoping that maybe, just maybe things have stabilized a bit, because I really enjoy the game when I'm actually playing with a group that seems to have their braincells intact.

I hate how disappointing this sequel ended up.

I like how at least one game got its online portion right in 2008 (Left 4 Dead).

I hate how must of Armaddeadon just wants to do Vs over and over.

• Options
    LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I hate this game.

Yeah, but the single-player is awesome.

What I dislike about the online element, which includes all those things, is how differently balanced it is to the single-player mode. It seems to be a case of charging at the enemy, shotguns blazing, rather than careful movement and use of cover. It bothers me because:

a) I suck at it
    b) it's not much like the game I want to play
    c) it seems horribly imbalanced towards close-quarters combat, which is what the single-player game is exactly telling you not to do

It makes me sad, but I will never ever play Horde unless I'm playing with friends. And no-one on my list has this game :(

Lewisham on
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    You do know why mortars are effective, right?

I'll give you a hint: they do a lot of damage to a lot of people who stand around with their thumbs up their asses.

protip: If you hear a mortar, get the fuck out of where they're targeting and kill them. Flamethrower? Gee, a short range powerful weapon, how bout you use that sniper rifle on your back? Boomshield? Have you tried flanking? or shooting them in the place that makes blood come out?

Seriously, all these weapons seem to promote having a good flexible strategy and game plan, and then they want to get rid of them.

Can't have any variety in pro gamings!

I mean seriously, they actually set up their spawns in Halo so that a team can spawncamp. On purpose.
    I love reading posts by people who don't know what they're talking about.

edit: oh sht necropost sorry

Anyway Gears is fun. Unbalanced in multi but fun.

MikeMan on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Multiplayer is indeed a different animal, where the majority of idiots like to shotgun rush you (and I especially hate when it somehow works). The matches were people are actually careful and planning things accordingly are the best though.

Most multiplayer games are like this, where people spend more time learning the exploits than the proper way to play. Ever tried Metal Gear Online? It isn't pretty.

• Options
    edited January 2009
    Multiplayer is indeed a different animal, where the majority of idiots like to shotgun rush you (and I especially hate when it somehow works). The matches were people are actually careful and planning things accordingly are the best though.

Most multiplayer games are like this, where people spend more time learning the exploits than the proper way to play. Ever tried Metal Gear Online? It isn't pretty.

I used to have a really hard time with the matchmaking in GoW2 but it turns out the issue was mostly on my end. Every now and again it can take a couple minutes to get a game but it happens almost instantly with surprisingly frequency. Are you sure your 360s nat is open?

As for the multi. Yeah, close combat is very powerful. The reason for this is if you hit someone with a melee attack your character auto tracks them for a bit, making melee attack to shotgun a deadly combo, not to mention that shotguns can instantly kill you up close in the first place.

If someone is silly enough to shotgun rush me over a wide open space I can usually do quite the number on them with the hammerburst, maybe not downing them in the processes but giving me a huge damage advantage in the ensuing close quarters brawl. Don't forget you can plant grenades as trip mines now, that can really throw a wrench in the plans of predictable rushers. Also, remember that you run away as fast as the enemy can run at you, and the enemy can't shoot while they are running. So, if your position is about to be over run roadie running the hell away can work quite well.

Things do get messy when enemy teams rush in mass with shotguns/chainsaws. I really don't think it's anything that some co-ordinated firepower couldn't deal with but, good luck getting that in a public match.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Lewisham wrote: »
    I hate this game.

Yeah, but the single-player is awesome.

What I dislike about the online element, which includes all those things, is how differently balanced it is to the single-player mode. It seems to be a case of charging at the enemy, shotguns blazing, rather than careful movement and use of cover. It bothers me because:

a) I suck at it
    b) it's not much like the game I want to play
    c) it seems horribly imbalanced towards close-quarters combat, which is what the single-player game is exactly telling you not to do

It makes me sad, but I will never ever play Horde unless I'm playing with friends. And no-one on my list has this game :(

Have you added the PA meta tag? It has a lot of people and I for one would love a game of horde or something.

Also this games multiplayer is fucking dumb. I can't believe the game does absolutely fucking nothing about unbalanced teams. Every time I join a game we're a man down and get destroyed, it's kind of hard to have fun when there's no hope in hell of getting a win.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    So, I just got the game for christmas, and I got my xbox back from RROD repair about 2 weeks ago and they sent me a 1 month gold xbox live card.

I've already finished the game single player on normal, but would anyone want to start a co-op on a harder difficulty with me some time in the future?

Dissociater on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    You can win 4 on 5s. They can be pretty good practice.

I guess I don't mind losing all that much though.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Winning when you are down is so much more fun, I have won a few games that were 3 on 5, the grenades make it too easy. Just stick one on a wall and either the enemy sees it and stops and then you toss a nade behind them so they die, or they run forward and die.

Losing when the other team is down is one of the most frustrating things in this game. Just watching the randoms on your team run across the map and die within the first 30 seconds without even saying a word is enough to make me rage quit. Then you are always the last one because you were not retarded enough to rush, and your team mates gave them the torque/boom/snipe/everything. Trying to kill four heavily armed enemies with a smoke grenade and shotgun, while trapped in a room is not a winning situation.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Fizban140 wrote: »
    Winning when you are down is so much more fun, I have won a few games that were 3 on 5, the grenades make it too easy. Just stick one on a wall and either the enemy sees it and stops and then you toss a nade behind them so they die, or they run forward and die.

Losing when the other team is down is one of the most frustrating things in this game. Just watching the randoms on your team run across the map and die within the first 30 seconds without even saying a word is enough to make me rage quit. Then you are always the last one because you were not retarded enough to rush, and your team mates gave them the torque/boom/snipe/everything. Trying to kill four heavily armed enemies with a smoke grenade and shotgun, while trapped in a room is not a winning situation.

It's funny because I find myself cursing people who hang back at the beginning and hole themselves up with grenades allowing the enemy an unopposed advance across the map to all the powerful weapons. :P

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Hah, I didn't quite mean that I sit back and camp. I usually rush far enough to make sure I can kill them if they get a power weapon, wait for a couple of them to die then I rush in.

Fizban140 on
This discussion has been closed.