As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[OOC - 4E DnD] Sorrow of the Heavens

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    "Just you wait till Arasaki gets home you are going to get such a spanking!"
    "Yeah right!" *whack*
    *poof*
    ARRRGHHHHH!!!!

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I am currently figuring out how to write encounters, while making sure combat goes at a good clip. I'm imagining the first session this sunday may be a bit messy as I get used to maptools and such forth. Speaking of, I should go to bed so I can actually do all my work tomorrow and then get things done (campaign related things, and possibly things involving socks).

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    ArasakiArasaki Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    It's this weekend? Yaaaay, I was thinking it wouldn't be for at least another week or two yet.

Arasaki on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Arasaki wrote: »
    It's this weekend? Yaaaay, I was thinking it wouldn't be for at least another week or two yet.

Yeah, I've been rather on the ball.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So most of the Gods from the Player's Handbook aren't in the Forgotten Realms, right? They've got a mostly different pantheon with a couple of holdovers like Moradin. Do most of the normal gods just not visit the area very often?

Also does anyone know why the D&D thread got locked?

Terrendos on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    There's a new D&D thread up.

Arasaki on
  • Options
    YesNoMuYesNoMu Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Kilroy wrote: »
    YesNoMu wrote: »
    Cool. Much better.

EDIT: We'll make great flanking buddies, shifting all the time.

That's one of the reasons I wasn't worried so much about my low-ish attack bonus. I'm going to make full use of those shifting abilities to be flanking whenever possible.

Quick question regarding Commander's Strike: do I have to be within melee range of the target as well, or just the ally I choose to make the attack?

Within 5 squares. Normally you need to be within your melee reach to be able to do it.

I disagree, so it's 5 squares.
    So it's now a close burst 5 power? It won't provoke, right?

YesNoMu on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Terrendos wrote: »
    So most of the Gods from the Player's Handbook aren't in the Forgotten Realms, right? They've got a mostly different pantheon with a couple of holdovers like Moradin. Do most of the normal gods just not visit the area very often?

Also does anyone know why the D&D thread got locked?

I'll find a list of 4E deities for you, but yeah, lots of doods are different in FR than the core book.
    YesNoMu wrote:
    So it's now a close burst 5 power? It won't provoke, right?

Essentially.

It would be funny if it did though "Hey you, attack tha - urghk!! YOU STUCK AN AXE THROUGH MY HEAD YOU PRICK!".

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Oh, that's okay. I acquired the Forgotten Realm's Player's Guide. I know the list of them; I just wasn't sure why the cool gods like Pelor aren't hanging around Faerun.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    They get losers like Aumanator instead. I know, lamest thing ever.

YesNoMu on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Would anyone mind explaining what "OOC" thread means?

Terrendos on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Out of character. You don't have to talk as your character, so you can discuss levels, XP, powers, the plot, stuff like that.

YesNoMu on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Out of character. You don't have to talk as your character, so you can discuss levels, XP, powers, the plot, stuff like that.

How is that different from In Character?

Sidus: "Ding! Level 2, sucka fools!"
    Aisedor: "Grats! Any good new Powers?"
    Sidus: "Dunno. AFK bio BRB lol."
    Aisedor: "Hey Saphelon, when's the next boss in this dungeon?"
    Saphelon: "First time through for me, bra"

Terrendos on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Well, some of us like to hold ourselves to a higher standard. <looks down nose>

But I dunno. Aegeri, how strict are you planning to be in the game for IC/OOC?

YesNoMu on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

You shut your mouth. Aumanator is awesome. He's Lathander, only with more zen wisdom.

Kilroy on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Well, some of us like to hold ourselves to a higher standard. <looks down nose>

But I dunno. Aegeri, how strict are you planning to be in the game for IC/OOC?

It depends on my whimsy. I am not particularly hardcore about it, as it's up to you to decide how "actorish" you want to be about your roleplaying. It will take me a few sessions, but I'll inevitably figure out who likes to speak IC and who is the guy who goes "An ooze? I JUMP INTO THE PIT AND WRESTLE IT" without actually meaning that IC.

Then again, occasionally I decide that was literal if I think the result is amusing enough, so it pays to be careful. Also, try not to say to the evil gnolls (not that I am saying there will be gnolls) that are guarding the evil fortress (if indeed there is an evil fortress) "What are you guys guarding here", because that is kind of suspicious and even though you might want to roll a diplomacy check, the gnolls will probably develop other ideas.

I'll be putting up an IC thread in a day or two for all your inter-party argument needs.

Also, I'd thought I'd make you all aware of this, but any treasure I hand out I have nothing to do with once you've got it. I may have an idea who the scale mail +2 was for (as an example), but it's entirely up to you guys as a party to decide what to do with gold, gems, magic items and such. My other campaigns party is rather obsessed with keeping gold for themselves, but you can keep it as a communal pool or anything else you feel like.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    A communal pool makes more sense practically, but not IC. At this point, we're essentially all strangers, some with personal agendas.

REG Rysk on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    An equal split seems best. While sharing between characters who know each other previously may make sense, there isn't enough trust within the group to just share the money at the moment.

With items, I guess a basic need before greed type of thing? I'm not going to care who the wand or the chain armour or the axe/shield goes to because I won't use them at all. If nobody wants it, I guess sell and split the profits?

Arasaki on
  • Options
    REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    That seems most logical Jim.

Wait, this thread is OOC....

REG Rysk on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Yes, well don't be surprised if Sidus doesn't want to sell the beautiful painting discovered in the abandoned mansion. Or the ancient tome packed with historic secrets. Or the finely sculpted bust of Oghma.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Yes, well don't be surprised if Sidus doesn't want to sell the beautiful painting discovered in the abandoned mansion. Or the ancient tome packed with historic secrets. Or the finely sculpted bust of Oghma.

Or the ancient evil artifact that whispers in your ears about destruction and murder?

m i rite?

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I C WUT U DID THAR

REG Rysk on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Aegeri wrote: »

Or the ancient evil artifact that whispers in your ears about destruction and murder?

m i rite?

Sidus is pretty self-deterministic, so he wouldn't take too kindly to things telling him what to do. Well, there's one exception, but I'd also think he'd be self-aware enough to recognize when an inanimate object is trying to screw him over.

In other words, don't give him the Eye of Vecna unless you want him to use it as a golf ball.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

You shut your mouth. Aumanator is awesome. He's Lathander, only with more zen wisdom.
    Moar like Lame-anator, amirite? Try worshiping a real god, like Bahamut.

YesNoMu on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Moar like Lame-anator, amirite? Try worshiping a real god, like Bahamut.

He's not a real god, he's a dragon on a power trip.

Kilroy on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Yeah, well, your guy is just a mass of incandescent gas
    A gigantic nuclear furnace
    Where hydrogen is built into helium
    At a temperature of millions of degrees

So there.

YesNoMu on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Yeah, well, your guy is just a mass of incandescent gas
    A gigantic nuclear furnace
    Where hydrogen is built into helium
    At a temperature of millions of degrees

So there.

Nuclear power is awesome. I find it depressing that Star Pact Warlocks don't have a power that condenses Hydrogen inside enemy bodies into Helium to make them into tiny fusion reactors and destroy them from the inside.

I may be re-assigning a few new flavor texts to some of Sidus' abilities.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    The in character thread is up over here.

If there is any objections to all being in this inn, please let me know and I'll see what to do. I like to find ways of bringing all the players together early on and giving some hint to the overall plot arc.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    For your consideration, my backstory:
    It’s remarkable how everything can change in an instant.

Like my family history when they fled Mulhorand in the wake of the Spellplague. Or my parents' futures when they left the slums of the Dragon Coast to start a new life in Suzail. Or my own life on that one fateful night…

I served in the Purple Dragons for many years, under the command of Swordcaptain Leodon, second son of a minor lord, and the most promising young lieutenant Cormyr had seen in many a year. His voice could stir even the most cowardly and his skill in battle was unmatched. The men in his command would have followed him into the depths of the Abyss, and I would have been right behind him with a plan to pull us all back out again. It had been that way ever since we were recruits together, when the cheerful young noble, to the bafflement of everyone, had befriended the snarky tiefling. We were an unstoppable, inseparable team: my plans and his execution. Together we routed goblin and orc forces along the borders for years.

Until one fateful night when the fires burned low, the watch fell asleep at his post, and the bugbears crept down from the mountains and ambushed us. Half the men were killed in their sleep before any alarm could be raised. The Swordcaptain himself was cut down before he could even draw his sword. I struggled into my armor and tried to rally the few men that were left but the words died in my throat. Died like my oldest friend, died like the men in our command, died like my courage as my heritage took over and I fled into the shadows.

I stayed hidden like a wounded animal, jumping at the smallest sound until the dawn finally broke. I returned to the camp and found it completely empty. The bugbears had undoubtedly carried to bodies off to devour. I made the long hike back to the nearest fort and shamefully reported the outcome of the “battle” to the commander there. The next day, I resigned my post and set out on the road to the west, vowing not to return until I had redeemed myself for my cowardice and was worthy to serve with the Purple Dragons again.

Kilroy on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I'm curious if the association between the characters will begin due to a bar fight against non-humans or a call to arms against the afore-mentioned witch.

Either way this should be interesting!

Arasaki on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Well, actually I thought about a bar fight but decided I didn't want to go down that route as there is really only you guys, the nobleman plus his wife, kid a couple of his guards and the innkeeper plus his wife.

The first module, because we're near November, has a distinct horror theme though, so as to fit with Halloween.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Oh come on, we can take on a couple of kids and their stupid noble parents! And when the guards and innkeeper get in on the fun, so much the better!

Terrendos on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Oh come on, we can take on a couple of kids and their stupid noble parents! And when the guards and innkeeper get in on the fun, so much the better!

That kid could be a polymorphing ancient black dragon of doom?!?!?!!

Actually, I remember one game a long time ago where one of the guys in our group tried to start a barfight and it turns out the DM had based his campaign on Scandinavian legends or something. Well anyway, the long and short of it is the entire population were werewolves and none of us had silver weapons.

Hilarity ensued.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Is it just me, or does everyone in the IC thread have an attitude problem?

Terrendos on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

I am certainly going to enjoy this.

Edit: Random peasant "There are monsters about"

Party: Turns on one another

Me: roffle.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    What kind of interesting persona is likable, bubbly, and outgoing?

Darkness ftw!

Sorry Morninglord :P

REG Rysk on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Hey, you'd have an attitude too if all you wanted was a drink and no one would serve you.

Kilroy on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Look, just because my character is sophisticated enough to sufficiently arouse the curiousity of one of the local barmaids (and a hot one, no less) to come and get me a nice glass of sophisticated people drink, that doesn't mean you gotta be disrespecting. After all, Sidus may be doing something really cool in a few minutes if anyone might happen to start a fight. It might involve him drinking the wine while simultaneously firing off a blast of Eldritch magicy doom.

Which of these do you guys like better for Sidus?

sidusphotooe1.jpgwarlockpic2ab4.jpg

I'm not sure which I prefer. I'd like the bottom one better, but it shows him in robes, when he rather ought to be in leather armor.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    He can wear leather armour under his robes, so as to look less directly threatening.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Man you fuck with the Morninglord you are fucking with me.

And you don't want to do that because I am from Australia where there is tons and tons of sun so you are dealing with a sunbaked Morninglord defending the Morninglord.

The cognitive dissonance will make your head explode just don't bother.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.