As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

TGS news: Microsoft conference and some other announcements that are possi

• Options
    EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I thought it more a "We can sell a game with out Chief."

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Nimble Cat wrote: »
    Ranced wrote: »

They have multiple projects.

You know they have a Cortana dating sim in the works.

The irony there is it would actually sell.

Also, Given from what footage new footage i've seen, cortana is a slut. She didn't have to run around naked but she does.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    To be fair, to make Cortana a slut all you have to do is program her to be one.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    Cortana had 'clothes' in Halo 2. But I think Bungie was like fuck it for Halo 3 and decided to change her appearance yet again.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Oh man a new Halo campaign experience using the ODST and new multiplayer content. So perfect, and it gives them such a wealth of possible additions to add to the multiplayer game. Lets just hope they make use of them. Wait, does this mean new permutations and achievements? If so, hells yes?

Just quite some wait until next september, that's not a confirmed date is it?

Leitner on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Why are people being pissy now that Bungie have actually announced they're making the ODST campaign that everyone wanted? Set on Earth, no less?

OH NO WE'LL HAVE TO WAIT A YEAR! What? Remember when games were announced 3 or 4 years in advance? How long have we been waiting for Dead Space or Mirror's Edge? A year is a good time to go between announced and released. I, for one, am really excited by the prospect.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Leitner wrote: »
    I think 1/9/09 just means sometime in Q4.

Muddy Water on
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Well the trailer just says fall, which I guess means that at the earliest. It's almost worth the wait to see Bungie use the only proper dating system though.

Darley I don’t think anybody is criticising the game itself (well outside for the couple retards who've gone 'lol halo' but there are refreshingly few of them), rather everyone believed it was coming out in January and it's disappointing to see what's going to be an amazing game come out months later than expected. Plus the announcing games and putting out trailers anything more than about six months prior to release is pretty damn irritating, especially in cases such as Resident Evil or Dead Space where it’s literally a couple years down the line until they actually come out. It’s something I’m glad videogames are moving away from.
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Everyone knew they would be. They can't resist continuing with their headcrab ripoffs.

Hahahaha, just saw this, genius. I can't tell if the dude is being sarcastic or is really that ignorant.

Leitner on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Well the trailer just says fall, which I guess means that at the earliest. It's almost worth the wait to see Bungie use the only proper dating system though.

Don't make America invade your ass.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Dead Space was announced last September, and that seems to be doing pretty well for hype considering it launches next week in the States. I'm sure Mirror's Edge was about the same time with the same thing. I can understand everyone wanting it now, even expecting it in January from the date in the trailer (I'd like to see if Bungie mention that at all), but I'm happy for them to take 2 years to make a full campaign and other stuff, if it means we get a better game.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    SPACE INVADERS EXTREME ON XBLA! Best part of the conference right there. SIE is golden on DS and PSP, and I'm definitely going to double-dip on the XBLA if the graphics and audio are pumped up accordingly.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Lunker wrote: »
    SPACE INVADERS EXTREME ON XBLA! Best part of the conference right there. SIE is golden on DS and PSP, and I'm definitely going to double-dip on the XBLA if the graphics and audio are pumped up accordingly.

I'm actually more excited for R-Type, which I didn't know was coming before, as I've never played one.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    Is there a sony conference?

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

I was reading some story earlier that there was some kind of mention that they'd be doing one, but Sony have denied it.

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=255860
    Sony has told Eurogamer that it has no plans to put on a Tokyo Game Show press conference, despite reports to the contrary.

The platform holder's Japanese video website specifically lists "SCEJ Press Conference 10/9".

But while the company is expected to show a number of new titles, two separate sources at Sony Europe have denied it, including one currently in Japan for TGS, who said his colleagues looked baffled when he raised the subject.

CESA, the company that runs the show, also makes no mention of such an event on its website.

Sony had briefed Japanese press about a few items, including the direct PSP Store, which is perhaps what the Sony site listing refers to.

With a number of first-party PS3 titles promised at TGS but as yet unseen, however, there is room for a few more unveilings, if nothing else.

And then tomorrow, the company plans to demonstrate White Knight Story (White Knight Chronicles in Japan) in a product-specific presentation.

So, er, if there is a Sony press conference, it appears Sony forgot to invite the press - or tell its employees. Move along!

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    Shoegaze99Shoegaze99 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Darlan wrote: »
    "Starting on __________, we will no longer be charging you to play multiplayer on your 360."

I wish, at any rate. My Gold subscription ran out and it feels like I have to forfeit buying a game this season just to buy another year of CO4 multiplayer.

I'll probably let mine lapse in the spring. I rarely play online. LOVE the Live service and all the goodies it affords me, but if I'm mostly paying to play, well, it's not worth it to me.

Shoegaze99 on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    darleysam wrote: »

I was reading some story earlier that there was some kind of mention that they'd be doing one, but Sony have denied it.

Sony has told Eurogamer that it has no plans to put on a Tokyo Game Show press conference, despite reports to the contrary.

The platform holder's Japanese video website specifically lists "SCEJ Press Conference 10/9".

But while the company is expected to show a number of new titles, two separate sources at Sony Europe have denied it, including one currently in Japan for TGS, who said his colleagues looked baffled when he raised the subject.

CESA, the company that runs the show, also makes no mention of such an event on its website.

Sony had briefed Japanese press about a few items, including the direct PSP Store, which is perhaps what the Sony site listing refers to.

With a number of first-party PS3 titles promised at TGS but as yet unseen, however, there is room for a few more unveilings, if nothing else.

And then tomorrow, the company plans to demonstrate White Knight Story (White Knight Chronicles in Japan) in a product-specific presentation.

So, er, if there is a Sony press conference, it appears Sony forgot to invite the press - or tell its employees. Move along!

There was apparently a brief 30-minute conference that GAF is currently melting down over here. That whole "11 unannounced games to be revealed!" thing was apparently a mistranslation or a goof.
    It's not embargoed, it was even liveblogged by Japanese new sites. It was just a 30 min conference where they revealed stuff like the PSP PS Store date and the Ad-Hoc Party beta date. Nothing exciting happened, there were no new game announcements, everything you see at the site is all that Sony has at TGS.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    darleysam wrote: »

Man I want sony news dag nabbit.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    Shoegaze99Shoegaze99 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    EvilBadman wrote: »
    I almost guessed Nov 22, the 3 year anniversary.

after the update Live won't be usuable until about the 22nd

Place your bets now on the freebie game to follow.

Shoegaze99 on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    There were a few interesting pieces of Sony news announced.
    http://www.mcvuk.com/news/31980/TGS-All-PSP-games-to-be-downloadable
    Sony has confirmed that all of its future UMD PSP titles will be released simultaneously for download on the upcoming PSP Store – which, incidentally, has been given a Japanese launch date of October 15th.

CVG reports that SCEJ’s Destroy All Heroes 2 will be the first title to be made available for download in conjunction with its retail release on October 15th. Other titles already confirmed for the dual policy include Secret Agent Clank, LocoRoco 2 and Resistance: Retribution.

However, despite the ongoing criticism levelled at UMD, and recent moves from third party publishers to bypass the UMD market, Sony has so far remained committed to the format.

In other PSP news, Pocket Gamer reports that Sony has also stated that it plans to introduce Dualshock 3 support for the PSP, meaning gamers will be able to wirelessly link up their PS3 joypad to the machine. The first title to support the feature will be Resistance: Retribution – which is, unsurprisingly, a first person shooter.

Couscous on
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Couscous wrote: »
    Sony has confirmed that all of its future UMD PSP titles will be released simultaneously for download on the upcoming PSP Store – which, incidentally, has been given a Japanese launch date of October 15th.

CVG reports that SCEJ’s Destroy All Heroes 2 will be the first title to be made available for download in conjunction with its retail release on October 15th. Other titles already confirmed for the dual policy include Secret Agent Clank, LocoRoco 2 and Resistance: Retribution.

However, despite the ongoing criticism levelled at UMD, and recent moves from third party publishers to bypass the UMD market, Sony has so far remained committed to the format.

In other PSP news, Pocket Gamer reports that Sony has also stated that it plans to introduce Dualshock 3 support for the PSP, meaning gamers will be able to wirelessly link up their PS3 joypad to the machine. The first title to support the feature will be Resistance: Retribution – which is, unsurprisingly, a first person shooter.

This is EXCELLENT news. Hooray for 16gb memory sticks.

minor incident on
    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Awesome, and no it's a third person shooter.

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

I heard this as a rumor and I'm glad it's true—digital distribution would be sexcellent for the PSP. I'm just hoping that custom firms can still interface with the PSP Store, and I'd be curious to see how large the official DD titles would be as compared to homebrew methods to rip UMDs that use controllable amounts of compression.

Lunker on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3170441
    wsipple wrote:
    A few interesting tidbits from 1ups visit at Treasure, I hope it's not old:

- S&P2 is a retail title, not WiiWare
    - the original character designer will be working on it
    - S&P on VC sold great
    - other Treasure games on VC sold pretty good as well, except for Dynamite Headdy
    - interested in WiiWare/ XBLA, but will continue to focus on retail games
    - excited about Bleach Versus Crusade
    - Xbox360 shooter was put on hold and might get canceled, team is working on S&P2- Radiant Silvergun XBLA put on hold as well, want to do a remake when/ if they get back to it
    D:

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

I heard this as a rumor and I'm glad it's true—digital distribution would be sexcellent for the PSP. I'm just hoping that custom firms can still interface with the PSP Store, and I'd be curious to see how large the official DD titles would be as compared to homebrew methods to rip UMDs that use controllable amounts of compression.

I'm curious about that, too. It's in their best interest to work on a strong method of compression, since it'll reduce bandwith, and allow players to store more games. I can cram 8-12 of my games on an 8gb stick as it stands now. I couldn't wish for much better, but I hope it's not substantially worse.

Plus, I won't have to have a bunch of worthless UMDs laying around representing every game I own.

minor incident on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3170441
    wsipple wrote:
    A few interesting tidbits from 1ups visit at Treasure, I hope it's not old:

- S&P2 is a retail title, not WiiWare
    - the original character designer will be working on it
    - S&P on VC sold great
    - other Treasure games on VC sold pretty good as well, except for Dynamite Headdy
    - interested in WiiWare/ XBLA, but will continue to focus on retail games
    - excited about Bleach Versus Crusade
    - Xbox360 shooter was put on hold and might get canceled, team is working on S&P2- Radiant Silvergun XBLA put on hold as well, want to do a remake when/ if they get back to it
    D:

I'm really curious about Bleach Versus Crusade, based on the quality of the DS games alone.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    SpazMuffinSpazMuffin Hey Cut it outRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So Meteos Wars for the Arcade. When I first read this I was totally psyched, but then I remembered that it was based all around the frantic pace you can only get with a touch screen. Now I'm so-so but can't wait to see more about it.

SpazMuffin on
    Cosgrove_Face_Sig.jpg
  • Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Nimble Cat wrote: »
    CoD4 was a terrible game.

CoD 4 Single Player was the same old godddamned grenade ridden thing I've played for several (more than 4, lolz) games now.

CoD 4 Multi Player was, and remains to be, fucking awesome. I play that in preference to Halo 3 when I have no one to play with, I find it more enjoyable than Halo 3 solo.

Arrath on
  • Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So is R-Type a remake or an all new game? R-Type 5? Or would it be 6? Whatever, I want it.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So is R-Type a remake or an all new game? R-Type 5? Or would it be 6? Whatever, I want it.

Yeah.. what the fuck is the deal with R-Type?

R-Type Final was announced as being the last R-Type-proper game that they were going to do, and that after that, they were going to retire the series. Even if you consider the spinoff non-shmup R Type Tactics, I'm still wondering, are they going to go back on their previous statement? If so, great, because I love R TYpe, but it makes me wonder what the deal is with the franchise...

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Kotaku vid of the new Xbox interface. I refuse to use NXE or any derivation thereof. I like how fast everything is—much less loading. The first half of the vid is more on Avatars, which most people don't give a shit about but I actually think is really cool. (I like Miis too, for the record.)

Lunker on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    How can you refuse to use NXE or any derivation thereof? You don't have a choice in the matter.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    How can you refuse to use NXE or any derivation thereof? You don't have a choice in the matter.

Because sooner or later, someone will use the word 'nixy' in reference to it, and I will die a little inside.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008

I think he meant that he refuses to use the "NXE" abbreviation.

minor incident on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Oh alright I see. Ok I agree with you there.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

If cornered, I will throw a smoke bomb and use ninpo to escape. EDIT: Yes, I mean the naming convention! I'm actually excited about the new interface itself. :)
    slash000 wrote:

R-Type Final was announced as being the last R-Type-proper game that they were going to do, and that after that, they were going to retire the series. Even if you consider the spinoff non-shmup R Type Tactics, I'm still wondering, are they going to go back on their previous statement? If so, great, because I love R TYpe, but it makes me wonder what the deal is with the franchise...

I think the R-Type XBLA is actually a remake of R-Type I and II with new graphics options:
    http://www.gamersdailynews.com/story-4814-RType-Combo-Pack-for-XBLA.html

Features:

“R-Type Dimensions” features include the following:
    • Single player and co-op play. Locally or on Xbox LIVE for up to two players
    • “R-Type” and “R-Type II.” Two full playable classic coin-op games
    • All-new Infinite game mode. Assuring completion of games regardless of skill level
    • Classic game mode. Play that exactly mimics the original coin-op experiences
    • Statistics tracking. Track all the player’s vital stats
    • Two free gamer pictures. Can be unlocked by players of all skill levels
    • Achievements. Range from easy to advanced, making them appropriate for every skill level
    • All-new 3-D graphics plus 2-D original graphics. Swap between graphic modes on the fly

And there's apparently a new viewing angle option:

qskwp5.jpg

Lunker on
  • Options
    Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    NXE kind of looks like if Microsoft said "Hey, our interface sucks, lets rip off the XMB... and Apple's coverflow... If we combine the two no one will know we took 'em"

While most looks much better than what we have now, the friends "list" thing looks needlessly retarded.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

If cornered, I will throw a smoke bomb and use ninpo to escape. EDIT: Yes, I mean the naming convention! I'm actually excited about the new interface itself. :)
    slash000 wrote:

I think the R-Type XBLA is actually a remake of R-Type I and II with new graphics options:
    http://www.gamersdailynews.com/story-4814-RType-Combo-Pack-for-XBLA.html

Features:

“R-Type Dimensions” features include the following:
    • Single player and co-op play. Locally or on Xbox LIVE for up to two players
    • “R-Type” and “R-Type II.” Two full playable classic coin-op games
    • All-new Infinite game mode. Assuring completion of games regardless of skill level
    • Classic game mode. Play that exactly mimics the original coin-op experiences
    • Statistics tracking. Track all the player’s vital stats
    • Two free gamer pictures. Can be unlocked by players of all skill levels
    • Achievements. Range from easy to advanced, making them appropriate for every skill level
    • All-new 3-D graphics plus 2-D original graphics. Swap between graphic modes on the fly

And there's apparently a new viewing angle option:

[ig]http://i36.tinypic.com/qskwp5.jpg[/img]

Sweet deal, thanks for the info, Lunker.

Sounds excellent.

slash000 on
  • Options
    BeckBeck Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Kotaku vid of the new Xbox interface. I refuse to use NXE or any derivation thereof. I like how fast everything is—much less loading. The first half of the vid is more on Avatars, which most people don't give a shit about but I actually think is really cool. (I like Miis too, for the record.)

I can't start that video but, I do hope there are more hairs than "Here's your glorious assortment of hair for white boys...

'nnn here's your buzz/'fro/dreadlocks for your black guys."

Because like every game does that

and I hate it

(I'm mixed I want a bouncy curly frizzy hairstyle for once goddamnit)

Beck on
    Lucas's Franklin Badge reflected the lightning back!
  • Options
    Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So, wait, were those 9 to-be-announced Sony titles just rumours? "Cause one of them was supposed to be Ico 3, damn it. The only reason I was looking forward to TGS was that they were going to announce the next Team Ico game. Please tell me there's still a chance of that happening.

Muddy Water on
  • Options
    Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So, wait, were those 9 to-be-announced Sony titles just rumours? "Cause one of them was supposed to be Ico 3, damn it. The only reason I was looking forward to TGS was that they were going to announce the next Team Ico game. Please tell me there's still a chance of that happening.

We're not even 24 hours into the conference, hold your horses.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg