As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[COH ON]Company of Heroes - Wherein We Grudgingly Accept A Balanced(ish) Game

• Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Mega bump with a connection issue question (searched the rather useless official forums and couldn't find an answer).

Whenever I try to join an MP match I have about a 10 second window for the game to start before my entire internet connection cuts out. Near as I can tell Relic's online client seems to be "flooding" my connection to the point where the entire thing drops for a couple seconds (ventrilo disconnects as well). However, if the game manages to start in time I seem to have no issues once the game actually starts (some lag graces, but that seems to be normal for everyone). I have all the necessary ports forwarded in my router, AV, and firewall (with all firmware and drivers up to date), but it doesn't help. I've even tried completely shutting everything off and disabling startup of related services without any of it helping. So I turn to you folks. Any idea what the issue could be besides Relic (most likely) having a shitty online client?

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Does that happen for games you join from the games list, or for the automatcher, or what?

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    StokedUpStokedUp Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Fuck, I just bought this game. Weird this thread just got bumped.

Does this game only really require a decent video card to play smoothly with ok graphics? Right now I got my settings all pretty damn low and its smooth online but the opposing fronts campaign has some weird chop. I guess I should just get a new pc. Damn pentium 4!!!

StokedUp on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Gamertag(SSF4/MW2)StokedAidzzzSC2 ID Stoked.655
    Uploaded SC2 Replays
  • Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Does that happen for games you join from the games list, or for the automatcher, or what?

I only play games with friends, so it's when joining a game hosted by them from the friends list. I can connect and play with them just fine in any other game (like L4D or CoD). Only CoH gives me problems.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TekDragonTekDragon __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009

Your replays on Youtube on Men of War convinced me to buy the game.

You failed to mention several very important points.

1. The community is 90% Russian.

2. The game makes Warcraft 3's online client look sexy because MoW has no automatch and no autopatch.

3. Did I mention no autopatch? You have to download patches, install them to a random directory, then MANULLY COPY/PASTE files into the installation directory.

3. Did I mention no automatch? Every game is a custom game and the Russians team stack like crazy, refusing to balance teams.

4. AT guns are worthless against heavy tanks. 10+ shells will bounce off while the heavy tank can 1 shot the AT gun from across the map with a HE shell.

5. Infantry are retarded when giving orders, especially involving grenades. Had a dude standing behind a sandbag throw an AT nade and.... he hit the fucking sandbag. That's bad enough when it happens in CoH, but at least in CoH it doesn't kill all my dudes. This moron knocked out 3 other guys with himself.

TekDragon on
  • Options
    StokedUpStokedUp Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    TekDragon wrote: »

Your replays on Youtube on Men of War convinced me to buy the game.

You failed to mention several very important points.

1. The community is 90% Russian.

2. The game makes Warcraft 3's online client look sexy because MoW has no automatch and no autopatch.

3. Did I mention no autopatch? You have to download patches, install them to a random directory, then MANULLY COPY/PASTE files into the installation directory.

3. Did I mention no automatch? Every game is a custom game and the Russians team stack like crazy, refusing to balance teams.

4. AT guns are worthless against heavy tanks. 10+ shells will bounce off while the heavy tank can 1 shot the AT gun from across the map with a HE shell.

5. Infantry are retarded when giving orders, especially involving grenades. Had a dude standing behind a sandbag throw an AT nade and.... he hit the fucking sandbag. That's bad enough when it happens in CoH, but at least in CoH it doesn't kill all my dudes. This moron knocked out 3 other guys with himself.

Coincidentally just before I saw this post, I watched Mr Celchus 5th Men of War shoutcast. Game looked fun and all but not polished enough for me. Maybe it was just the replay I was watching but the players strategy was sound, but the game seemed to simply be a tank war and nothing else. Infantry played the part of the scout (even that was met with death) or died. I suppose I should just watch more of the game but I can see why your frustrated with the heavy tanks since that seemed to be the most effective unit.

StokedUp on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Gamertag(SSF4/MW2)StokedAidzzzSC2 ID Stoked.655
    Uploaded SC2 Replays
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    It's possible to get around it by using the "payback" reinforcement option. I don't usually see many big tanks on those games.

Still, AT guns are worthless. They have such small firing arcs, slow reload speed, and slow rotation that even if you spot a enemy light tank at max range you only have one shot before it gets past your arc, drives around, and one shots you with a tiny HE shell.

They're good against retards who just roll their armor up to the front lines and park it there, but there's no way to use them against anyone with a brain. You just have to buy your own tank, keep it stocked with an AP shell when you're not controlling it, and keep it in the rear.

TekDragon on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Men of War thread is this way
    >

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    Steel-AngelSteel-Angel Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    came back to the game for a bit

i love overrepaired kangaroos

with sappers and bren teams inside them that button/rape everything

while a pak57 does nothing but scratch the armor a little

go relic

Steel-Angel on
    signaturep.jpg
  • Options
    cliffskicliffski Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    VeritasVR wrote: »

Eh. ToV didn't bring anything to the table in my opinion.

Oh I dunno, some of the new units are interesting. That wermacht tank that replaced the stug is worth having, as is the schwimwagen thing.
    I just wish they would stop assing about and get a proper eastern-front expansion out there. I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

cliffski on
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    This game is still an absolutely titanic pain in the dick to try and play

I have never had to jump through so many patches and general bullshit for a play

No, I do not want to download the new patch, I don't give a fuck what it fixes, I'm not going online to verse people and the game worked fine last time I checked. oh, sorry, going online is mandatory? and thus patching for a play on a whim is also mandatory? fucking christ

EDIT: It is only downloading something, yet feels the need to fuck my system aswell

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    This game is still an absolutely titanic pain in the dick to try and play

I have never had to jump through so many patches and general bullshit for a play

No, I do not want to download the new patch, I don't give a fuck what it fixes, I'm not going online to verse people and the game worked fine last time I checked. oh, sorry, going online is mandatory? and thus patching for a play on a whim is also mandatory? fucking christ

EDIT: It is only downloading something, yet feels the need to fuck my system aswell

Or you could buy it off of Steam.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    HawkHawk ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    To follow up Tycho:

- Install Steam
    - Buy CoH on Steam
    - Download & Install
    - Go to Sleep
    - Wake up and play Company of Heroes

Hawk on
  • Options
    Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So talking about the single player action.. I finally took Hill 192 last night. Played over the course of two days to do it and many hours of play.

What a mission. By the end I was just throwing everything at the damn hill. Tactics were being slaughtered by artillery bombings. I had almost the entire map captured but the hill was keeping me away. After wave after wave of rangers and tanks I eventually made it.

I tried to hide a sniper near it so I could strike it myself with long range bombs but something up there must have had sniper vision and they would smoke him out and bomb the area he was in every time.

Pretty awesome though.

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Lord Jezo wrote: »
    So talking about the single player action.. I finally took Hill 192 last night. Played over the course of two days to do it and many hours of play.

What a mission. By the end I was just throwing everything at the damn hill. Tactics were being slaughtered by artillery bombings. I had almost the entire map captured but the hill was keeping me away. After wave after wave of rangers and tanks I eventually made it.

I tried to hide a sniper near it so I could strike it myself with long range bombs but something up there must have had sniper vision and they would smoke him out and bomb the area he was in every time.

Pretty awesome though.

My advice is firstly, through the campaign, try and gather vet riflemen with shreks. And don't vet up any other riflemen that might occupy your carry-over riflemen spots. Vet riflemen with shreks are your best AT in the campaign.

You'll need to seize the right corner of the map for the fuel. The CPU will occasionally move to retake it with infantry and a P4, so eventually I think I left an MG Nest there with a captured PAK to deal with it.

Then sweep to the western corner of the map, crush the hedges in between, and lock down the front entrance to the hill. Sweep around back with some infantry or a sniper, arty shoot/calliope them to death. If your sniper comes in the front, the spawned attacks coming out will often see him. Also, be sure to hold fire on your sniper and to bring your calliope close to improve its accuracy.

Ignore the town on the east side of the map. They've got 88s, P4s, infantry in houses, and it's a massive dead end. I sniped off the 88s just to prevent them from sniping me as I went by, but taking that town's a waste of time and effort. Those P4s will roll out against you every once in a while, but it's better that they attack you on open ground than you charging into the town and be blasted from every which way.

hippofant on
  • Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Ssssso, Hellcats. Awesome, or really awesome?

MegaMek on
    Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    Corp.ShephardCorp.Shephard Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I think hellcats are too general for my tastes.

They really suck at penetrating heavier armor unless you're getting point-blank rear armor shots. For what, a 50 cal MG? I need something that can fight tanks, not infantry dammit!

People are always talking about the great first strike camoflague bonuses but
    a) I can't find what they exactly are
    b) I have AT guns for such immobile AT and they're probably much better for this purpose

I'm still rolling with the wolverine.

The hellcat still looks awesome though.

Corp.Shephard on
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I find the issue with Hellcats is that, okay, you can park them somewhere and cloak them like PAKs. But, like PAKs, they're not going to kill (heavier) German armor before decloaking. And then once decloaked, they can't penetrate, so the German armor withdraws. If you chase, you're left constantly pinging at frontal armor. Oh and by the way, this entire time, the Panther's been shooting at your shitty ass Hellcat armor.

hippofant on
  • Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I think hellcats are too general for my tastes.

They really suck at penetrating heavier armor unless you're getting point-blank rear armor shots. For what, a 50 cal MG? I need something that can fight tanks, not infantry dammit!

People are always talking about the great first strike camoflague bonuses but
    a) I can't find what they exactly are
    b) I have AT guns for such immobile AT and they're probably much better for this purpose

Cloaking 2 Hellcats near tank choke points is pretty great. I took out a friends Tiger when he drove right past mine and I got 2 ambush shots to his ass, and a few more rear hits with my Rangers as he tried to turn around. I mean, I'm sure the wolverine is technically better, but I always lost mine before they could be of use. The Hellcats cloaking is sweet.

And the voice overs are just great. "Happy as a turtle in mud!"

Also, I guess most people here don't play much anymore? Me and some friends play this almost every night. We don't play online much, just against each other or against the cheating bastard AI. Are there any really OP units that we should avoid abusing? Things seem pretty balanced in 2.6.

MegaMek on
    Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    We've been playing this almost every day from about two to six-ish (EST). Mostly salvaged folks from Dawn of War 2 who simply cannot bring themselves to play that any further.

If you'd like to join up, just hop on the penny arcade vent (has it's own sticky in Games and Technology). That's where we usually meet up.

Our numbers are a little awkward at the moment. We'll float between 4 and 6 so it generally fluctuates between 4v4s against random people, in house 2v2s, 3v3 in houses and whatever we decide to try with five.

Corp.Shephard on
  • Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    We've been playing this almost every day from about two to six-ish (EST). Mostly salvaged folks from Dawn of War 2 who simply cannot bring themselves to play that any further.

If you'd like to join up, just hop on the penny arcade vent (has it's own sticky in Games and Technology). That's where we usually meet up.

Our numbers are a little awkward at the moment. We'll float between 4 and 6 so it generally fluctuates between 4v4s against random people, in house 2v2s, 3v3 in houses and whatever we decide to try with five.

I might be interested in playing again, as long as it's not automatch or AI.

Got nothing better to do for the next two weeks.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    We've a few people who automatch AT 2v2s but that's only when no one else is around.

If we get good numbers I imagine we can expand our inhousery.

edit: Decided to play around a bit more with the hellcat after the shining praise. Still iffy. I didn't actually get to ambush much unfortunately. Just a sniper who had bumped into the hellcat (which didn't uncloak it surprisingly...). He proved hard to hit and squish though, but it did scare him off.

The pintle-mounted MG was actually pretty useful at times but at 75 munitions I was hesitant to buy it on such an expendable tank. Particularly seeing how I had gone airborne to keep infantry threats to the hellcats at bay with strafing run.

"Happier than a turtle in mud" is pretty ace though.

Corp.Shephard on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Is it too late for a new guy to get into CoH online? Has the community become impenetrable to anyone starting out, or would I be able to get a few decent games going?

Last time I tried (long time ago) I pretty much gave up for getting hammered by smurf accounts and not learning much in the process.

subedii on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Hawk wrote: »
    To follow up Tycho:

- Install Steam
    - Buy CoH on Steam
    - Download & Install
    - Go to Sleep

If I bought it in stores, is it possible to skip all the fucking bullshit they force you to do by registering on Steam?

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Hawk wrote: »
    To follow up Tycho:

- Install Steam
    - Buy CoH on Steam
    - Download & Install
    - Go to Sleep

If I bought it in stores, is it possible to skip all the fucking bullshit they force you to do by registering on Steam?

No. It's not fucking bullshit, it's making an account for the game, like you have to do with BF2 for example.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    subedii wrote: »
    Is it too late for a new guy to get into CoH online? Has the community become impenetrable to anyone starting out, or would I be able to get a few decent games going?

Last time I tried (long time ago) I pretty much gave up for getting hammered by smurf accounts and not learning much in the process.

I've "tutored" a couple of our current players on some strategies, given them some ideas on how to play the game. If you're alone with automatch, particularly 1v1, you'll probably have trouble. I can't recall what times of the day I've seen you on DoW2 Subedii, but if you're around the above times I can give you some pointers and you can work the rest out in our team games.

Sonelan, Woggle, Eddycrim, there's plenty of people who are picking the game up after a great deal of inactivity/just now.

Corp.Shephard on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    You could also watch some of my shoutcasts on GameReplays.org.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

I've "tutored" a couple of our current players on some strategies, given them some ideas on how to play the game. If you're alone with automatch, particularly 1v1, you'll probably have trouble. I can't recall what times of the day I've seen you on DoW2 Subedii, but if you're around the above times I can give you some pointers and you can work the rest out in our team games.

Sonelan, Woggle, Eddycrim, there's plenty of people who are picking the game up after a great deal of inactivity/just now.

Well I've got the game installed already, I'll see if I can hit you guys up on vent sometime.

EDIT: Not having ToV won't set me back or anything will it? I've only got CoH and Opposing Fronts. I haven't heard much good about ToV.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Plenty of our guys don't have ToV.

Many of the units take more generalized units and make them more niche based (StuG, a general armored tank, is replaced by a mobile long-range tank hunter), so while you can specialize your strategies around them, they're not really overpowered.

You won't be at a disadvantage.

Corp.Shephard on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The kangaroo is grotesquely overpowered, but counterable. Everything else is, as said, a different flavour of essentially the exact same unit. The M10 is better than its replacement imo.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    You could also watch some of my shoutcasts on GameReplays.org.

Do some more. They're really good.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    There are people, in vent now, playing games as I type. For those who are interested.

edit: we hang out in the dow2 channel

Corp.Shephard on
  • Options
    Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    There are people, in vent now, playing games as I type. For those who are interested.

edit: we hang out in the dow2 channel

Interesting experience playing with you folks last night. Trying to find a game was a whole process in itself, you were right in that it weeds out the weak, I was ready to say screw it and slam alt+f4 on that thing, it was almost too much for me to even care about. Then playing the game with first two of the three people dropping out, then the dude yelling the whole time, then him trying to cheat his way out, then him dropping.

Playing with forum folks on almost all of my online games really has shielded me to the unwashed masses.

I only got 6000 points by the end and pretty much hung out on the right side of the map, but it was still fun, glad you two held down the rest for our victory.

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • Options
    cliffskicliffski Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

There are plenty of people (like me!) who play this game for fun, rather than just gaming exploits and trying to piss off other players. I often automatch and hit the play button on a 1v1, just because I can beat the AI easily on hard but get my ass kicked at expert, so I need to play someone inbetween :D

cliffski on
  • Options
    gogglesgoggles Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Anybody up for a quick game right now?

goggles on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I wouldn't mind hopping in on this. My partner and I made top 15 in the 2v2 AT ladder, and both maintain 12+ 1v1 accounts, but we make it a point to not play "cheap". That is, we don't rely on blatantly bugged units like the bugged Pak, phase shifting Axis armored cars, Kangaroo, etc.

We try to make every game friendly and when we play against newer players, we try to make it fun. 15 flame engineers running headlong into your base MG bunkers? Sure :P

TekDragon on
  • Options
    Evil_ReaverEvil_Reaver Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Weird... I was looking for this thread the other day but it was buried so deep that I just gave up.

I wish I still had time to play CoH. I was playing nearly every day over the summer but once school started... yeah, no time.

Also, Tycho's shoutcasts are the best.

Evil_Reaver on
    XBL: Agitated Wombat | 3DS: 2363-7048-2527
  • Options
    SonelanSonelan Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Those PE anti infantry cars are such bullshit as british. I don't get an armor counter til I get my second building up. Meanwhile its raping all my infantry and my bern.

Sonelan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    gogglesgoggles Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Is it weird that every single match crashes before I can finish?

goggles on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I am terrible at this game now.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg