As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Things that should have names but don't

JinniganJinnigan Registered User regular
edited November 2006 in Debate and/or Discourse
This is largely inspired by Douglas Adam's The Meaning of Liff, which is based more or less on the title of this thread.

For example:

ABILENE (adj.)
Descriptive of the pleasing coolness on the reverse side of the pillow.

WINKLEY (n.)
A lost object which turns up immediately you've gone and bought a replacement for it.

THRUPP (vb.)
To hold a ruler on one end on a desk and make the other end go bbddbbddbbrrbrrrrddrr.

So I'm thinking it'll be fun to have our own little thing. Throw out your own experience that needs a name, or a name that needs an experience, or both! These aren't really rules so much as suggestions, and if you have other ideas that's cool.

To get the ball rolling, I'll just say - that nasty cringe-inducing noise produced by rubbing the wet plastic bags in the grocery section against styrofoam (or anything, really).

And a noun (or an adjective, whatever) - Smyrna

Also: while this next one is defined in The Book already, I am nominating it for renaming because there is already such a thing as a 'Wok' -

WOKING (participial vb.)
Standing in the kitchen wondering what you came in here for.

whatifihadnofriendsshortenedsiggy2.jpg
Jinnigan on

• Options
    GorakGorak Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Jinnigan wrote:
    WOKING (participial vb.)

Is that pronounced wok-ing or woke-ing, though?

And what would be the general term for doing it in a room other that the kitchen. My personal experience is going upstairs to get something and being unable to remember what it was until I go back down stairs.

What about when you lose something and can't find it until you get pissed off enough to shout "where the holy fuck is.. oh, it's there."

Gorak on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Other languages do have words for some of the things we forget.

We just need to compile a list that has every concept with whichever language made a word for it.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    What should one call the experience of losing his wallet only to find it the moment after he has cancelled all his credit cards, etc.? It sucks. A lot. Mostly because they won't let you take it back when you call right back and say "Oops. My bad. I found my wallet."

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited October 2006
    Incenjucar wrote:

We just need to compile a list that has every concept with whichever language made a word for it.
    And of course, it's in the finest tradition of all languages to steal words from others and corrupt the meaning for concepts that they would rather not officially define.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Aroduc wrote:
    Incenjucar wrote:

And of course, it's in the finest tradition of all languages to steal words from others and corrupt the meaning for concepts that they would rather not officially define.

Exactly.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    jclast wrote:
    What should one call the experience of losing his wallet only to find it the moment after he has cancelled all his credit cards, etc.? It sucks. A lot. Mostly because they won't let you take it back when you call right back and say "Oops. My bad. I found my wallet."

I've done that, it's well annoying.

Gorak on
  • Options
    Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2006
    Antichronocthonism n.
    1. When you forget what timezone you're in and operate as if it is several hours later or earlier than it is and hilarity ensues.

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Aroduc wrote:
    Incenjucar wrote:

Except for English. We invented all of our own words. Two of our best are arrogance and xenophobia.

Gorak on
  • Options
    Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2006
    Kakotastic adj.
    1. Having the qualities of a rotund, hairy communist wearing no shirt.

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2006
    Salorva (n.)

1. The dried saliva around the edge of your mouth if you keep it closed for a while or sleep with your mouth open

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Gorak wrote:
    Jinnigan wrote:
    WOKING (participial vb.)

And what would be the general term for doing it in a room other that the kitchen. My personal experience is going upstairs to get something and being unable to remember what it was until I go back down stairs.

What about when you lose something and can't find it until you get pissed off enough to shout "where the holy fuck is.. oh, it's there."

Destinesia.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    NerissaNerissa Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Kakotastic adj.
    1. Having the qualities of a rotund, hairy communist wearing no shirt.
    No, there's already a word for that.... 'scary'

Nerissa on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Feral wrote:
    Gorak wrote:
    Jinnigan wrote:
    WOKING (participial vb.)

Destinesia.

Perfect.

Gorak on
  • Options
    AHH!AHH! Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Jalop - to hit or attack someone violently in a non sexual way with one's boner.

AHH! on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    AHH! wrote:
    Jalop - to hit or attack someone violently in a non sexual way with one's boner.

I had to stop doing that.
    I managed to get that kid's family to drop the manslaughter charge, but it was still a big wake-up call for me. With great power comes great responsibility.

[spoiler:8f5aed5800]Fuckin' kid had it coming.[/spoiler:8f5aed5800]

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Feral wrote:
    AHH! wrote:

I had to stop doing that.
    I managed to get that kid's family to drop the manslaughter charge, but it was still a big wake-up call for me. With great power comes great responsibility.

[spoiler:5caf4620ff]Fuckin' kid had it coming.[/spoiler:5caf4620ff]

:lol:

You're on a roll in this thread.

Gorak on
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    AHH! wrote:
    And might I ask what life experiences you have had to where this kind of thing would happen often enough to where you have to give it a name?

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    mtvcdm wrote:
    AHH! wrote:
    And might I ask what life experiences you have had to where this kind of thing would happen often enough to where you have to give it a name?
    Yo momma.

It's not old, it's vintage.

Gorak on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Optinesia - When you look for glasses you're already wearing

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    GiganticusGiganticus Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    DELETED

Giganticus on
  • Options
    strakha_7strakha_7 Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    This is cleary just an attempt to standardize our beautiful English language into icky NewSpeak.

doubleplusgood

strakha_7 on
    Want a signature? Find a post by ElJeffe and quote a random sentence!
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Zero tolerance policies are almost invariably terrible.

One might say I have zero tolerance for them.
  • Options
    AgemAgem Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Restupitrant - refusing to back down from your position well after you know you're wrong and your opponent knows you know you're wrong and even your most ardent supporters know you're wrong simply because you don't want to admit it

Agem on
  • Options
    Covert OperativeCovert Operative Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    PENETROGENUSOS (vb.)

To punch a child in the mouth.

Covert Operative on
    "The only limit to my freedom is the inevitable closure of the universe, as inevitable as your own last breath. And yet, there remains time to create, to create, and escape.

Escape will make me god"

-Durandal
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Jinnigan wrote:

Also: while this next one is defined in The Book already, I am nominating it for renaming because there is already such a thing as a 'Wok' -

WOKING (participial vb.)

Me and my friends already use that word, but as a verb for "cooking with a wok".

I agree that the books definition should be changed, because its retarded.

Al_wat on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    PARENTING (vb.)

Gorak on
  • Options
    MightyMighty Omeganaut '15 '16 '17 NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Wallet Amnesia -Leatheargy-(like combining leather and lethargy)
    to lose your wallet and then cancel all your credit cards. only to find your wallet near the phone reicever when you hang it up.

Stynopsis - the feeling that someone, has cahnged SOMETHING about your normal setup at your computer station (new icons, changed mouse sensitivity, chair height ect.)

cunterry - act of leaving someones console+ TV on overnight

Mighty on
    Twitch: twitch.tv\dreadmighty
  • Options
    Covert OperativeCovert Operative Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Gorak wrote:
    PARENTING (vb.)

That could work too.

Covert Operative on
    "The only limit to my freedom is the inevitable closure of the universe, as inevitable as your own last breath. And yet, there remains time to create, to create, and escape.

Escape will make me god"

-Durandal
  • Options
    Vindicta_Vindicta_ Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    That Site wrote:
    HOBBS CROSS (n.)
    The awkward leaping manoeuvre a girl has to go through in bed in order to make him sleep on the wet patch.
    D:!!!!!!!!!

Vindicta_ on
  • Options
    JeedanJeedan Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Al_wat wrote:
    Jinnigan wrote:

WOKING (participial vb.)

Me and my friends already use that word, but as a verb for "cooking with a wok".

I agree that the books definition should be changed, because its retarded.

I believe the words in the meaning of liff are taken from english villages. So it would be pronounced "Wo-king" not "Wok-ing"

Jeedan on
  • Options
    TorgoTorgo Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    The site wrote:
    ABOYNE (vb.)
    To beat an expert at a game of skill by playing so appallingly that none of his clever tactics or strategies are of any use to him.

I think this is called buttonmashing.

Torgo on
    History is a spoiler for the future. (Me on Twitter)
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Torgo wrote:
    The site wrote:
    ABOYNE (vb.)
    To beat an expert at a game of skill by playing so appallingly that none of his clever tactics or strategies are of any use to him.

I think this is called buttonmashing.

Buttonmashing is too narrow. Aboyne could apply to chess, backgammon, cards, etc. in which there are no buttons to mash.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    TaximesTaximes Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Simplate (v.)

To explain to a person older than yourself, usually a parent or relative, how to execute an extremely easy task on a computer.

Resimplate (v.)

To simplate the same task again to the same person, two months later at the next family gathering when he or she has forgotten.

Taximes on
  • Options
    MightyMighty Omeganaut '15 '16 '17 NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Taximes wrote:
    Simplate (v.)

To explain to a person older than yourself, usually a parent or relative, how to execute an extremely easy task on a computer.

Alzhiemers (v.)

To simplate the same task again to the same person, two months later at the next family gathering when he or she has forgotten.

Fix'd

Mighty on
    Twitch: twitch.tv\dreadmighty
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    LOSTIME (n.)

A period of time, typically covering two-thirds of any team meeting with more than four participants, during which a team member will discuss a trivial or secondary part of the topic at hand with an unnecessary level of details and/or complexity.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    philoosing: (v) telling a girl you love her, solely so you can steal her art.

Because she looks like a vampire

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    YarYar Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    SNIGLET (n.)

- a word that sould be in the dictionary, but isn't. Popularized by Rich Hall in the early 80s, years before The Meaning of Liff was published.

Yar on
  • Options
    JinniganJinnigan Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Yar's a hater.

Also: sniglets were a running meme, of sorts, throughout the 80s. The Meaning of Liff was published in 1983. I don't see why you must bring some kind of one-upmanship in here.

Jinnigan on
    whatifihadnofriendsshortenedsiggy2.jpg
  • Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Jinnigan wrote:

Also: sniglets were a running meme, of sorts, throughout the 80s. The Meaning of Liff was published in 1983. I don't see why you must bring some kind of one-upmanship in here.

Yar's a hater.

I just made you answer your own question.

VishNub on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Sonicrangers (n.)
    Something you tinkis cool wen you are ten.

Couscous on
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2006
    ? - to poke as with a broom.

I don't know what the word would be. But we need a word for that action.

_J_ on