As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Black Friday Thread: Walmart Worker Trampled and Killed By Crowd

• Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008
    Yar wrote: »
    Medopine wrote: »
    Do you have any answer to the fact that if Wal-mart cared about its employees it wouldn't take that money out of your paycheck but instead out of the paychecks of higher ups that make a lot more than you?
    It doesn't work that way. Bonuses like what Henroid describes are based on stock value and profit and such. You can't make up an imaginary profit number and then start trying to assign blame to every reason why you didn't make that number and take all that from execs and give the rank and file bonuses as if the company really earned money that it didn't earn. The math on that would never add up for several reasons. The idea of them "taking money oout of his paycheck instead of the higher-ups" is rather naive class warfare crap.
    Medopine wrote: »
    In fact, do you have any indication that a punitive damage judgment against Wal-mart would actually affect your paycheck in any way? I'm sure they get sued and settle a lot - have you ever got a note saying "sorry no bonus this year, we settled a slip and fall case"?
    Well, usually companies have insurance for these things. They don't pay the legal fees or the damages, the insurance company does, and they just pay a hefty premium. The premiums may or may not go up, increasing costs next year, possibly resulting in Henroid getting a smaller bonus this year in anticipation of it or possibly getting fired next year or possibly nothing. I think the idea he's trying to get across is a basic concept of capitalism that has been lost to time - a corporation is simply a legal agreement that dictates how several different groups (employees, customers, shareholders, vendors, government, industry, etc.) all interact with one another to everyone's mutual benefit. Punishing that piece of paper inevitably just lessens the benefit to all involved in it.

But that's part of how governments interact with corporations. It's part of the deal. Henroid acting like a victim because of our desire to punish Wal-mart for an obvious (htough perhaps inevitable) failure in its responsibility is equivalent to him acting like a victim because people want low prices and aren't willing to pay Wal-mrt double the asking price for everything.

Hey he brought it up - I was just asking for some clarity on how he knew that he would personally suffer if Wal Mart suffered punitive damages in a suit. Cause he was making a huge stink about it like it would be inevitable.

Medopine on
  • Options
    YarYar Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Yeah sorry I didn't mean to be all angry about it.

But anyway, I sympathize with his feelings for his employer, and rampant liability claims irk me too. But IMO Wal-mart is liable for what happened here, it was their sale, their event, their hype, their property, their business plan, and so forth. They aren't murderers, but they are liable.

Yar on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2008
    I am wondering how this is going to affect Wal-Mart's ability to get Temp help in the future; or what additional constraints they are going to have to operate under in regards to temp agencies.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    mcdermott wrote: »
    Scalfin wrote: »
    Actually, a corporation is a private entity, which means that a better comparison would be Henroid saying we shouldn't charge rich people with crimes because their employees would lose their time during the jail time.

Oh god, it's horrible analogy time again.

Henroid has a point that when you punish "Wal-Mart" you're really punishing everybody who has anything to do with "Wal-Mart." From the CEO down through the lowest employee and off into the customerbase (who could very well end up paying marginally higher prices).

I mean, I get that. There is no "Wal-Mart" to punish, "Wal-Mart" is made up of people like...well, Henroid. And some of the people who will feel some small amount of that punishment had nothing to do with what happened.

I get that too.

But among that group being punished will be execs, boardmembers, and stockholders, and that's enough to ensure that this doesn't happen again, or at least that the corporation in question (again, this is not unique to Wal-Mart, they just lost the lottery) takes every possible precaution in the future (and that others follow suit). The fact that regular employees have to go down with the rest is just part of the risk you take when you choose to join on with any company...just like the theoretical broom pusher at the Ford plant where they make Pintos.

This last part is absolutely right. When an employee dies because of certain policies and then they get sued by the employee's family, they don't just say "oh well," pay up and pass that cost on down the line - they figure out how to prevent it from happening in the future. Or at least they figure out some training that will help prevent it in the future.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I work for a Wal-Mart.

Granted, I've only been there for 5 months, so the bonus thing doesn't affect me in the slightest. It might affect the bonus that we would be getting in march, which I might be eligible for, but I doubt it.

But that's a complete side thing.

Yes, Wal-Mart is liable. At least in some way shape or another, they are Liable. And yeah, that will in the end, probably flow all the way down the mountain and find some way to screw me over.

There are a few things that I wanted to say here.

Don't jump all over Henroid for mentioning the bonus, and lamenting that it will be less. I mean, I'm not getting a bonus, I'm sure that if I were, I'd be devestated too. But not in the way that you are all framing it. I don't know anything about Henroid's job at Walmart, which he could be a Grade 5 or a Grade 1. But let me look at it through my eyes.

I don't even know what Pay Grade that I'm on, I think maybe a 2 or 3. But I make roughtly $800 a month. And $690 of that goes to my rent. Right now, an extra $200 in just one of my checks would be amazing, in that it would at least help me catch up on my bills.

Yes, an employee being killed, even if he was a Temp, he was still a person, that is devastating, and horrible. And yes, the Company does have some responsibility to hold towards that happening.

But you guys really shouldn't jump up and down on somebody having the thought of "Ohshit, how am I going to pay my electric bill now?" It sounds like a callous thing to think, and it is an awful thing to say, but right now....

That's about all that's on my mind, is how am I going to pay my bills.

And I'm sure this is going to get people yelling at me, but there it is. No, it's not the most proper thing to say, but it's still an immediate reaction to something like this happening.

s'all i got really.

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Walmart's bonuses are done based off of a stores profit not the company. So unless something has changed only that store will be fucked for bonuses. Ahava you should receive a prorated bonus come the time it hits.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    bonus is gonna show up in the check that we get next thursday. Still not eligible until Jan 1st for me.

But eh, I thought that was how bonuses worked....

alright, i'm going into hiding now.

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008
    No one's jumping on him for having concern for his paycheck

It's the fact that he thinks that concern is a valid reason to say "Wal-Mart shouldn't have to pay for this", and his misunderstanding of the meaning of punitive damages

Medopine on
  • Options
    joshua1joshua1 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    While not exactly the same, I have experienced this same stupid crowd mentality. The one time I went to a music festival, my first concert event ever, my girlfriend dragged me to see a band she was in love with. It was on one of the smallest stages but i guess the organizers failed to acknowledge how popular they would be. Standing near the front as the band before them finished up their set, we were in a ideal place for my lass to worship the musicians on stage. Very quickly though, a fucking mob arrived at this stage. What made it worse, was the stage was at the bottom of a slope and the crowd sort of rolled to the front. Me not being a people person, started to wig out, but this was only the start. Eventually, me, a 198cm, 98kg guy, was being bodily pushed around to the point my feet were being dragged and me suspended upright. So i freaked the fuck out. The look on the already crushed teenyboppers faces as I forced my way out of the scrum was one of pure terror, but i absolutely could not stand to be in that spot anymore. I am a gentle guy, but what I did to get out of there was not nice. While i didn't swing any fists, i came really close to doing so.

I don't like crowds.

joshua1 on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    fair enough, Medo. Fair enough.

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2008
    Re: bonuses -

Be angry at Wal-Mart for gross negligence. They knew there was going to be a huge crowd and did nothing for crowd control. Aside from that, lawyers and court cases are a part of doing business for any company that size. Any money spent is likely a drop in the bucket compared to, say, the amount of money they pay daily for employees to take smoke breaks.

Doc on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited December 2008
    Kagera wrote: »
    Did they issue tickets? I know at some stores for a product that's high in demand and low on supply on Black Friday the store will hand out tickets that guarantees the first people in line that said product. Once those are gone they inform the rest of the crowd that the item they may have wanted is no longer available, and the people who were only there for that item can go look elsewhere or get this alternative item.

Hell in some cases those who get the tickets can leave because their purchase is basically reserved for them until the next day.

When I wanted to get a 360 right after launch, Walmart issued tickets.

To those inside at the electronics section.

Yes, to those inside. So what happens is, doors open, and they tell a large mass of people that if they want their item, they need to be first in line on the other end of the goddamned store.

I was first in line outside, and about 12th inside because of assorted stupidity and assholery. If I'd been denied a 360 I would have likely killed someone at corporate.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Did they issue tickets? I know at some stores for a product that's high in demand and low on supply on Black Friday the store will hand out tickets that guarantees the first people in line that said product. Once those are gone they inform the rest of the crowd that the item they may have wanted is no longer available, and the people who were only there for that item can go look elsewhere or get this alternative item.

Hell in some cases those who get the tickets can leave because their purchase is basically reserved for them until the next day.

Yes, to those inside. So what happens is, doors open, and they tell a large mass of people that if they want their item, they need to be first in line on the other end of the goddamned store.

I was first in line outside, and about 12th inside because of assorted stupidity and assholery. If I'd been denied a 360 I would have likely killed someone at corporate.

But would you have been responsible for that death?

moniker on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    moniker wrote: »

No jury in the world would convict me.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

In this instance? Absolutely not.

Like I said before, Target basically did the opposite with the Wii. They came out well before opening (like, a couple hours before) and handed out all the tickets starting with the first in line, and just told us to come back at our leisure before noon. It was fantastic.

However, whipping up Black Friday crowds to get an early rush is hardly unique to Wal-Mart
    No jury in the world would convict me.

At least no jury I was on, obviously!

mcdermott on
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    We the Jury (moniker, Rent, mcdermott, Elki, Medopine, tsmvengy, Zimmydoom, wwtMask, Scalfin, Preacher, Thanatos, and Kagera) find the Defendant, ElJeffe, NOT GUILTY of Murder in the First Degree.
    Further, we find the plaintiff, WalMart, GUILTY of Being A Bunch of Stupid Greedy Douchebags, and award actual damages in the sum of 2 million dollars and punitive damages in the sum of eleventy million bazillion dollars to be paid from the Plaintiff to the Defendant.
    Cardboard Tube swings gavel
    COURT IS ADJOURNED!

Rent on
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I might find ElJeffe guilty of being too sexy.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I might find ElJeffe guilty of being too sexy.

The punishment is three months hard labor. Naked. Sex is considered hard labor.

Cervetus on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    They aren't douches. Wal-mart is fucking awesome, all told. But they are liable for this.

Yar on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    They aren't douches. Wal-mart is fucking awesome, all told. But they are liable for this.

They certainly are a testament to how strong capitalism can be, even being able to wield power over local governments.

So if you are into that (and low-quality durable goods), they they are pretty amazing.

Doc on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I'm into any impressive achievement that isn't a blatant malfeasance.

Wal-mart aren't just a a testament to capitalism, they fucking rewrote the book on it.

Yar on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Wal-mart aren't just a a testament to capitalism, they fucking rewrote the book on it.

That's because they managed to gain hegemonic influence/control over suppliers and are capable of dictating terms to them. The whole 'boo hoo mainstreet is dieing' crap is bullshit. Mom and Pop stores sucked and creative destruction is beneficial. The capacity to drive manufacturers out of business due to being inflexible in the face of raw material cost increases, not so much.

moniker on
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008

That's because they managed to gain hegemonic influence/control over suppliers and are capable of dictating terms to them. The whole 'boo hoo mainstreet is dieing' crap is bullshit. Mom and Pop stores sucked and creative destruction is beneficial. The capacity to drive manufacturers out of business due to being inflexible in the face of raw material cost increases, not so much.

And then there's the fact that they advertise that they carry the same products as other stores while they really carry lower quality versions.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    How do you carry low quality versions of videogamees, music, movies, and Sony Bravia's?

Kagera on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I know that Wal-Mart forced production of (one specific example) Masterlock locks out of the US, and quality has dropped off dramatically. Now even those of us who are willing to spend an extra $2 on quality can't. It's quite an accomplishment, even if I don't like it as much as Yar.

Doc on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    How do you carry low quality versions of videogamees, music, movies, and Sony Bravia's?

Well, in some cases they'll carry a name brand item (like, I don't know, say a Sony..though maybe not them so much) but actually it's a lower-cost version manufactured largely for Wal-Mart.

But yes, if the model number is the same as the one in Target or your local Mom and Pop's Crap Shop, it's the same damn thing.

EDIT: And yeah, in other cases (like Doc's example) they just generally force the quality of goods down through price demands...meaning now you can't get the previously high-quality good anywhere else, either.

EDIT: This would also head OT pretty fast, do we need a new "fuck Wal-Mart" thread?

mcdermott on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Wow, I never knew they could have companies manufacture the same model at a lower quality.

That IS impressive, in the Darth Vader sense.

Kagera on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Wow, I never knew they could have companies manufacture the same model at a lower quality.

That IS impressive, in the Darth Vader sense.

It's not terribly uncommon.

For instance, there are these slippers called "Dearfoams."

Department stores have the more expensive, but much nicer versions, and Target has the crappy versions. The difference isn't hidden, though.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Another awesome human achievement is this thread getting 14 pages before turning into a general Wal-mart bash-fest.

The quality of locks was a fucking travesty-bomb waiting to be triggered. Only the most expensive Shlages can stand up to the rigor that your average chuck of net code is subject to these days. you're talking to a security pro here.

Yar on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Holy shit, I just saw a political ad talking about Walmart and "Communist China".

I never thought I'd see a modern day ad using Communism as fearmongering.

Kagera on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

Well, in some cases they'll carry a name brand item (like, I don't know, say a Sony..though maybe not them so much) but actually it's a lower-cost version manufactured largely for Wal-Mart.

But yes, if the model number is the same as the one in Target or your local Mom and Pop's Crap Shop, it's the same damn thing.

EDIT: And yeah, in other cases (like Doc's example) they just generally force the quality of goods down through price demands...meaning now you can't get the previously high-quality good anywhere else, either.

EDIT: This would also head OT pretty fast, do we need a new "fuck Wal-Mart" thread?

Yeah, this should probably be wrenched back on topic.

I was the only person at my work who went out and got anything on Black Friday. The only thing I got was a nice 3/4 length wool coat from Express. It was 45% off, and unadvertised. So that was pretty nice. All the electronics deals kind of sucked, since people tend to buy the deal instead of the product. That is to say, they didn't think they needed that camcorder until they saw it was $200 off.

Doc on
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008
    Doc wrote: »

I was the only person at my work who went out and got anything on Black Friday. The only thing I got was a nice 3/4 length wool coat from Express. It was 45% off, and unadvertised. So that was pretty nice. All the electronics deals kind of sucked, since people tend to buy the deal instead of the product. That is to say, they didn't think they needed that camcorder until they saw it was $200 off.

EBay?

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Holy shit, I just saw a political ad talking about Walmart and "Communist China".

I never thought I'd see a modern day ad using Communism as fearmongering.

Well. At least they're correctly tying it in to the economy rather than another term for "that thare socalists govemets"

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    geckahngeckahn Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I know that Wal-Mart forced production of (one specific example) Masterlock locks out of the US, and quality has dropped off dramatically. Now even those of us who are willing to spend an extra $2 on quality can't. It's quite an accomplishment, even if I don't like it as much as Yar.

Don't even get me started on this shit. I fucking hate wal-mart for this precise reason. They single handedly caused the quality of t-shirts (and other undergarments) in this country to implode.

Until AA came into existence. yay!

geckahn on
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008

This is the trick to Black Friday.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

I find that with every Black Friday deal I always question whether or not I actually want what is being offered, a point succinctly made by Doc.

I ended up spending about $200, but that ended up being spread into Fallout 3, Fable 2, Metal Gear Solid 4, Assassin's Creed, Rainbow Six Vegas 2, nights Wii, Rune Factory 2, Civ Revolutions DS and Transformers, Wall-E & Kung-Fu Panda on blu-ray.

Looking back, I think I came out fairly well. Vegas 2 and Nights are lower-tier for me acquisition wise, but a $6 price point is must-buy territory for almost any decent video game.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    geckahn wrote: »

Don't even get me started on this shit. I fucking hate wal-mart for this precise reason. They single handedly caused the quality of t-shirts (and other undergarments) in this country to implode.

Until AA came into existence. yay!

Well, Walmart is the best example of "corporate socialism" out there.

(For those who haven't heard the term, corporate socialism is where a company improves its bottom line by placing the externalities it generates on the head of society at large.)

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    edited December 2008

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that it really needed that $20 DVD player.

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that it really needed that $20 DVD player.

:^:

And like that *whoo* stock's gone. Now to buy the overpriced shit they stacked next to it.

Cervetus on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    And the inevitable law suit is filed.

Not sure why they are suing the police, who it seems at least tried to help as much as Wal-Mart would let them.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'