As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Valkyria Chronicles - discussion of the anime also welcome

• Options
    zllehszllehs Hiding in a box, waiting to strike.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    now lets be honest about what really makes this game shine...
    the battle system...

there probably wont be a direct sequal but maybe a continuation of the "valkyria chronicle" theme surrounding the valkyrie... the possibilities are endless

imagine this...

"Valkyria Chronicles: Origins"
    it would take place in some what medieval times and would revolve around the valkyrie again... but maybe no war this time... maybe a rescue or some sort or a item that must be collected... (honestly if they get the same staff to write it... i dont see how it could go wrong

but this time... no guns... or tanks... but instead we go real old school...
    we will keep the third person views and everything else about the battle system except that now... we will have swordsman... and mages white black red...and archers... monks... and dare i say it *gasp* NINJAS! (something like FFT classes)

very much like this game they will each have strengths and weaknesses

archers = snipers
    swordsman = shocktroopers
    monks = lancers
    mages = medics/engineers (white mages heal black mages attack and red/blue mages would specialize in taking down barriers (like mines) and solving puzzles)
    ninjas = scouts

or they can go totally futuristic
    very much the same thing as VC but in an urban setting with guns and cars and maybe even planes?

as long as the story is top notch and revolves around the valkyrie than we should be good lol

zllehs on
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Welp, I decided: Best Game this Year.

Still haven't finished it though.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    No, what the sequel needs is air strikes.

With planes made out of canvas and plywood.

And then the Imperium will have...

A SUPER BATTLESHIP CARRIER WITH WAVE MOTION GUN FIVE MILES LONG MADE OF CANVAS AND PLYWOOD.

It will be the final boss.

Come on, you know they'd go for it, crazy Japanese. :lol:

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    ObstSkwerlObstSkwerl Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    ARRRRRGH CHAPTER 7
    My battle was going fine and dandy until
    some silver haired huge boobed chick showed up and wrecked my force up :(

p.s. Alicia lucked out when she got ganged up by a Lancer and a shocktroop. The shocktroop meatshielded her from the rocket :D

ObstSkwerl on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'm pretty sure my gametime was at 40 hours when I beat it. But I might have idles for a few hours.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    The Lord of HatsThe Lord of Hats Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I completed chapter 7 on my first try. Unfortunately, it took 16 turns, and all I had left at the end was Dallas and the Edelweiss, so I'm going to have to do some skirmishes before I'm ready for 8.
    I left the Edelweiss in the first base, so the tank wouldn't advance at all. It was around turn 8 when I'd blown off all the machine gun turrets that I decided to move it, and lo and behold, the mission moved onward. I wasted a bunch of shots blowing up a ruin that was already on it's side, but eventually I got all of them down.

Then Selvaria came D:. She proceeded to kill and capture Largo, and then killed but did not capture my other lancer (I forget her name, has 'Extra Shot'). She then runs up above Rosie. On my turn, I move someone to try and get the medic to my lancer, and I succeed, but they die. A gigantic lemming rush follows, and everyone is gone except the Edelweiss, and my two engineers, the last radiator was up. And Selvaria was positioned pretty much right next to the ladder to it (the rear one). I sacrifice Herbert to get her facing away, and run Dallas up to it, reaching the ladder just before Selvaria turned around. Then I discover that I still have to blow the tank up. Fortunately, I have a buttload of points saved up, and am able to blow it to pieces with the Edelweiss in the same turn.

The Lord of Hats on
  • Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    So, I'm always torn between playing FFT (so glad it works on PS3) and this, I never finished FFT...

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    ObstSkwerlObstSkwerl Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I completed chapter 7 on my first try. Unfortunately, it took 16 turns, and all I had left at the end was Dallas and the Edelweiss, so I'm going to have to do some skirmishes before I'm ready for 8.
    I left the Edelweiss in the first base, so the tank wouldn't advance at all. It was around turn 8 when I'd blown off all the machine gun turrets that I decided to move it, and lo and behold, the mission moved onward. I wasted a bunch of shots blowing up a ruin that was already on it's side, but eventually I got all of them down.

Then Selvaria came D:. She proceeded to kill and capture Largo, and then killed but did not capture my other lancer (I forget her name, has 'Extra Shot'). She then runs up above Rosie. On my turn, I move someone to try and get the medic to my lancer, and I succeed, but they die. A gigantic lemming rush follows, and everyone is gone except the Edelweiss, and my two engineers, the last radiator was up. And Selvaria was positioned pretty much right next to the ladder to it (the rear one). I sacrifice Herbert to get her facing away, and run Dallas up to it, reaching the ladder just before Selvaria turned around. Then I discover that I still have to blow the tank up. Fortunately, I have a buttload of points saved up, and am able to blow it to pieces with the Edelweiss in the same turn.
    I finally got through it with 0 casualty. What I did:
    when that stupid ww2 sailormoon showed up, I just used my tank as meatshield to shield my anti-tank guys from the gattling laser, when the engine expose, use enhanced damage order and focus my fire on the radiators. Also, you can manipulate the game's scripted nature. If you leave all 3 radiators to low health before nailing the first one, you will make your life easier when sailormoon shows up.

ObstSkwerl on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I hope Faldio gets some redemption, because I pretty much would have done the same thing.
    Gee, tough decision. Shoot girl and have her go curb stomp an entire army, or do nothing and watch everyone die. Especially since the main idiot General practically WANTED the Gallians to lose. Jeez, I know Welkin wants to hit that fine Valkyur bootay, but you have to be ALIVE to reap the rewards first.

Oh, and Alicia the Terminator? Pure win.

This needs further tagging.

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2009
    Welp, I decided: Best Game this Year.

A wise choice. I've had far less gaming this year with all my university stuff, so I haven't played as many games as other people. Still, this was the only game that I played daily (excepting breaks after
    Isara's death
    ) and without stop until I'd beat it. I played Fallout 3 for a week on and off, then opened this and didn't stop until it was over. And I will replay it again soon as well.

Shivahn on
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    @ Snugglesworth - the caption of that pic with Alicia and Welkin honestly made me laugh out loud - and it's 1:30 AM at the moment, not the best time for unbridled jubilation.

I've not yet finished reading the rest of your GOTY entry, but that caption alone is worth a bookmark.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Runner Up:

Sephiroth

noooooooooooooo

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Chance wrote: »
    @ Snugglesworth - the caption of that pic with Alicia and Welkin honestly made me laugh out loud - and it's 1:30 AM at the moment, not the best time for unbridled jubilation.

I've not yet finished reading the rest of your GOTY entry, but that caption alone is worth a bookmark.

Thanks, it just came to me when adding the pic, and ironically did not cross my mind in the actual game. :lol:
    Wren wrote: »
    Runner Up:

Sephiroth

noooooooooooooo

You know you love (to hate) him.

I'd have listed Selvaria, but she was too cool for me to classify as a "villain". Maximillion was another candidate, but he's really more of a cold, emotionless prince than someone who actually enjoys tormenting others (like my two choices).

Come to think of it, I could have nominated Damon for Biggest Douchebag....oh well.

• Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

A SUPER BATTLESHIP CARRIER WITH WAVE MOTION GUN FIVE MILES LONG MADE OF CANVAS AND PLYWOOD.

Steampunk mecha.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    we talking about naval ops in here

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    XiaNaphryzXiaNaphryz Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Antihippy wrote: »

Steampunk mecha.

Considering many on VC worked on Sakura Taisen (which combat engine VC borrowed heavily from btw), steampunk mecha wouldn't be surprising at all since that was what was used. :D

XiaNaphryz on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    we talking about naval ops in here

And that excludes steampunk mecha how...?

Antihippy on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    question mark

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Hell, we should have steampunk boat mechas.

Floating sadly on top of water.

Antihippy on
  • Options
    Dareth RamDareth Ram regular
    edited January 2009
    I kinda wished I got to command some super units like a super tanks or a Valkyrur. Just for one mission.

You don't really get anything super cool like in other SRPGs. You have all your basic classes, and you utilize them to take down bigger and greater things as the missions advance. I like that - the underdog factor is awesome - but some of the enemy units they waved in your face that you could never have was kind of mean.

Dareth Ram on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Well, I agree and disagree. The underdog factor IS awesome, and having a SuperUnit would just destroy that. If you had a Valkyrie on your team the best way to deal with it is to show him or her (are there boy Valkyries?) kicking ass in a cutscene.

"I shouldn't have beaten you in any way, shape or form - but I DID!" is a huge feeling. I put two or three years into World of Warcraft, and in terms of simple elation-via-gameplay, it never, never, never got any better than the time I killed a level 60 Mage at Crossroads with my 44 Rogue. No, he wasn't AFK. He had just killed my friend and he blinked towards me, so I was able to stunlock him to death. Sapper charge helped.

It's a wonderful feeling. The only way you could balance a super-unit with that feeling is to give the enemy something ten times worse and/or give the unit some massive flaw that only regular soldier support could cover.

Chance on
  • Options
    Dareth RamDareth Ram regular
    edited January 2009
    I know - I agree. The underdog factor is probably my favorite thing, and even thought the end game was kind of easy I felt hugely accomplished.

It's just me looking at the enemy super units and going 'i'z wantz one of thoze.'

Dareth Ram on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    There's DLC for it where you get to control Selvaria invading Gallia I believe.

I think that you will be able to control her as a Valkyrur in one of the missions? Not too sure about that.

Not released outside of Japan yet though.

Antihippy on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Yet.
    We'll definitely get it, though. Frankly between this and the MGS Little Big Planet DLC I'm amazed that they've actually made downloadable content that I want to pay for. I look at the Rock Band tracks released every week and think "God, people must actually pay for this stuff. Harmonix, you sly devils, you've hit the mother lode!" But up until that trailer where Sack-Snake growls "the game has changed" I never imagined I'd pay for anyting like it.

Chance on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Shit, guys. The B potentials ARE your "superunits." Especially the 3rd and 4th ones.

I feel so fucking badass when a potential pops up in the middle of battle and pow pow pow and pheee and sheen sheen and all the bad guys are dead.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    MalechaiMalechai Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I would like to welcome our new thread overlord. Bluedoted.

Malechai on
    sig5ez4.jpg
  • Options
    zllehszllehs Hiding in a box, waiting to strike.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    FINALLY VALKYRIA CHRONICLES GETS THE RESPECT IT DESERVES!!

and wow... who would have thought that it would be from VGCHARTZ.com....

their end of the year awards are in and Valkyria chronicles won more awards than any other game ASIDE FROM LBP who won 7...

in the ps3 section it won
    http://news.vgchartz.com/news.php?id=2715

BEST RPG ON THE PS3
    Japanese RPG's are often berated for all playing too similarly, but that is one pitfall that Valkyria Chronicles easily avoids. A touchingly mature story of racism and war, with endearing personalities in the main characters as well as many of the less important side characters make this an experience that no RPG fan should miss. If you complain about the JRPG selection on the PS3 and don't own Valkyria Chronicles then you are doing yourself a huge disservice.

BEST STRATEGY GAME ON THE PS3
    Like Metal Gear Solid 4 before it, Valkyria Chronicles shows that straddling the line between genres can bring together the best of both worlds to make an incredible experience. An interesting class-wide leveling system, importance of defensive tactics such as the use of sandbags and trenches, and epic WWII-esque atmosphere make this a title that no strategy minded gamer should miss.

BEST GAME NOONE PLAYED ON THE PS3
    Certain genres have always had a tough time achieving commercial success, and Strategic RPG's are notorious on this regard. Disgaea 3 and Valkyria Chronicles are both great RPG's that many will probably ignore due to the choice in battle system, and that is a real shame. Both these titles deserve more sales than they're ever likely to get, and if you are a JRPG fan who owns a Playstation 3 and does not own one or both of these titles then hang your head in shame, because you suck.

BUT WHEN IT CAME TIME TO PUT IT UP AGAINST THE BEST OF THE 360 PC AND DS... VC CONTINUED TO SHINE THROUGH
    http://news.vgchartz.com/news.php?id=2718

BEST JRPG OF 2008
    Valkyria Chronicles just edges out The World Ends With You for this award. Valkyria Chronicles approaches the genre with a style different from most. Rather than large overworlds filled with towns, explorations, and characters, VC spends most of its focus on the combat, and the unique development of it's very good story through its storybook style. The addition of full-team experience and a class-wide leveling system eliminates the issue many other RPGs have of unbalanced leveling, and no grinding is ever necessary to beat the game.

BEST STRATEGY GAME OF 2008
    Valkyria Chronicles wins another one. The strategy RPG is not a genre with a lot of room for change... or so we thought. Valkyria Chronicles pulls all the great features from the other games in the genre, and innovates with some of its own. The mix of real-time and turn-based strategy creates an experience unlike any other on the market. If you like strategy games, Valkyria Chronicles is a must-own.

BEST GAME NOONE PLAYED
    It's always sad to see a fun and original game not do well. Unfortunately, this year was full of them. Standing out though was Valkyria Chronicles. Arguably one of the best SRPGs ever made, the game is still sitting at a pathetic 280,000 units, even after release in all 3 territories worldwide. If you are a strategy or RPG fan, own a playstation 3, and haven't bought this game, you should be ashamed of yourself.

HALLELUJAH!!!!

zllehs on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    am I supposed to take a site seriously that uses a Z in its name in place of an S?

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    The Lord of HatsThe Lord of Hats Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    When it's recommending Valkyria Chronicles, yes, you are.

If you don't have the game, download the demo, and then go get the game.

If you do have the game... well, I'll let Chance field that one. It wouldn't be right if I did it.

The Lord of Hats on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    So I had heard about this game, and how great it was, but I sadly ignored it, specially since I just didn't have time to get into a SRPG. With school over though, I decided to check out the demo, and loved it. Took me forever to track down the game in town, but finally got it yesterday, and played it for a while.

I LOVE it. Seriously, when you guys says this is a possible Game of the Year, you guys weren't kidding. It's soooooooo good. I love the music specially.

So yeah, if anyone ends up coming in here wondering if you should get the game, believe the hype!

Kyougu on
  • Options
    XiaNaphryzXiaNaphryz Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    am I supposed to take a site seriously that uses a Z in its name in place of an S?

Not only that, but they're also a poor joke of a site that pretends to be an authority for sales. They just guess what they believe sales are without any source data, then readjust their numbers when official data from NPD, Media-Create, Charttrack, or game companies themselves come out.

Regardless of the credibility of the site, good PR for VC is welcome.

XiaNaphryz on
  • Options
    PhoneBonePhoneBone Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I did this two days ago and found a cheap copy on ebay. can't wait.

It feels a lot like Advance Wars if Nintendo would have actually made a proper 3d version (I did not care for batallion wars at all). I'm also quite happy to have bought a Sega game with the confidence that it's actually good. It's been a while.

PhoneBone on
    dansig.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    When it's recommending Valkyria Chronicles, yes, you are.

If you do have the game... well, I'll let Chance field that one. It wouldn't be right if I did it.

GET A VC DOUJIN DAMN YOU*

*then pm me.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    This is a good way to start the new year, don't you think?
    I am now one of you.

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Where's that suggested thread title about voting this as PA Game of the Year, huh?

I'll probably make this my #1. It's really down to three games for me: Valkyria Chronicles, Fallout 3 and Prince of Persia.

Fallout 3 is a great game, but really it feels like what Oblivion should have been back in 2006. I still enjoy the hell out of it, however. The ending is a serious downer, though, and it lacks a New Game+ (which is a feature I've come to adore over most others).

Prince of Persia is fantastic, it's easy in the sense that you can't really die, but it shows me what a game can be like without lives or game overs, and what it shows me is good. When you get into a flow with this game, it's hard to bitch about any difficulty issues. Combat (I thought) was fantastic, how Sands of Time should have been.

But Valkyria Chronicles...let me say that, for the most part, I cannot stand strategy games. The only one to ever entice me before was Fire Emblem, and I'm going to attribute that to the fact that instead of watching the action from afar, it showed my character actually cutting the enemy with a sword, etc. It's a small aesthetic difference, but that went a long way into drawing me further into the world than it would have if the gameplay than were zoomed out the entire time. I never finished, but I knew it was at least possible to make an SRPG that I enjoyed.

So imagine how I felt playing Valkyria Chronicles, when not only are you given a close-up view of the action, I am actually physically controlling it, it's not predetermined and it is not done through menus. It's just as beautiful (if not moreso) than Prince of Persia, with equally endearing characters. I love the controls, the user interface, everything about it.

Typing it out like that, I do believe I can choose VC as my Game of the Year. Prince of Persia was very delightful, and both are quite lengthy (if you choose to go for 100% in Prince of Persia), but getting me to love a strategy game is a much greater accomplishment than a genre I was already partial to (I already loved climbing all over shit in Uncharted, Mirror's Edge, TR and previous PoPs).

tl;dr - Valkyria Chronicles for Game of the Year!
    Limed so fuckin' hard. I agree with pretty much everything you wrote, UnbreakableVow, except I hate RTS's, not strategy games. And in a lot of ways, this is an RTS...just a really, really good one. I'm probably gona put VC as my #1 game, ousting GTAIV, FO3, and TWEWY simply because this game deserves the recognition. Looking at it critically, I probably enjoyed TWEWY more, but at the same time TWEWY is selling well on a really ubiquitous platform and doesn't really need my help.
    Don't get me wrong, I love this game, I really do. And that's why, I think, I'm so serious about people getting VC sigs; even though it's become sort of a trademark of mine, I truly believe that Sega's diligence should be rewarded with success of its product, and if that means asking (harassing) people to get VC sigs, I'll do it, so 1) it can encourage that sort of innovation AND 2) I want some sequels!
    As in aside, dude, I thought you had your name changed to DVG. I pulled a seriously o_O face when you posted and I realized you and DVG are two different posters with identical avvies and sigs.

Rent on
  • Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Oh Gosh darn it(Final Battle)
    I've heard you guys say this fight is easy, so what am I doing wrong? I have like three or four shocktroopers, my tanks, a lancer for the armoured towers, and a sniper for that really tall tower, and I'm still having trouble. I've found missions that people had to do three or four times easy, but this one frustrates me to no end.

Edit: About VC being the game of the year, I would definitely call it the best original game of the year, but for me, MGS4 was something that I was waiting for for so long and anticipated for, and loved it. So that was my game of the year. VC is probably the runner-up, or third.

never die on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    It wasn't easy for me either, but it helped to do team up attacks (people standing near each other shoot with you)

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Okay, I'm going to attempt to start a new bandwagon.
    As you can see, I've changed my title to "Valky Chronicles for GOTY", temporarily retiring "Squad 7 War Winner". I'm hoping the people in this thread can change their titles to this or something like it. Also, we need to set up a concerted effort to encourage everyone in this thread to place VC as their GOTY, or (if they prefer other games, totally understandable) in their top five at least.
    Also, if anyone's got any sig- making skills, if they could make a "Valkyria Chronicles for G and T GOTY" sig, or perhaps some sort of transparent sticker to place over their sigs (a la the D and D "I Voted" sig sticker), I think that'd help too.
    What think, guys?

Rent on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    sounds stupid

ur stupid

ick. boys.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options