As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Fahrvergnügen

iStevoiStevo Registered User regular
edited February 2009 in Social Entropy++
The Love of Driving.

I have it. Do you?

I'll drive just about anywhere, for just about any reason, in just about any mood. My car is my happy place, and it moves whenever I need to.

Fast, slow, high, low, automotive wanderlust, I love to drive.

Its not the destination thats important, but the journey. Talk about this.

I don't even have a nice car. Its a shitty '97 Nissan Altima, but when I put my foot down it goes. This isn't Car Talk, but if you have a piticularily sweet ride go ahead and talk about that, too.

Talk about where you've driven to, who you've driven with. Talk about a tence situiation that you needed to drive away from, or a tence situiation that you've driven into. Talk about driving to relax, thats my favorite.

There's one road to Montauk Point, and on a clear night at about two or three am I like to drive this solitary road down the south fork towards the lighthouse. After you get out of East Hampton it becomes very rural, lots of open land, and there is one spot a few miles from the lighthouse where the road becomes straight as an arrow. I like to turn off my headlights because you can navigate by the stars, and I can see the endless vista above me in a way not possible in the suburban congestion where I life, barely a hundred miles away.

It's just me, the lighthouse, and that beautiful sky.

...I'm so hip, I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis.
iStevo on

• Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009
    I heartily enjoyed driving in my Taurus

Best time I've ever had was driving to a college visit, then going out driving around town for like two hours in the middle of the night looking for food

Me Too! on
  • Options
    MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Not when there's so many idiots on the road.

Meiz on
  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I really enjoy driving, but drivers here are terrible. Also, I no longer have a car.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    bentbent Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I enjoy driving at night, when there's nobody else on the road.

I'm surrounded by nice twisty national speed limit roads.

bent on
    sig1.png
  • Options
    HoA-playerHoA-player Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I hate driving.

I just moved specifically so I no longer have to drive to get to work.

HoA-player on
  • Options
    KrentzKrentz Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I hate driving. This thread is not for me.

Edit: jinx

Krentz on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I think we can all agree that driving in major cities is ass piss.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    Futt BuckerFutt Bucker CTRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I have a love of driving as well.

There's a road in my town I like to drive on called Velvet Rd, but the more popular nickname is Dracula Drive. It's a dirt road that's just big enough for one car to drive on comfortably. When you drive on it at night, the trees look like they're growing closer together and it gives the feeling that the road is becoming more narrow as you drive. On one side there are trees and the occasional unmarked driveway leading to a house in the woods. On the other side is a cliff with a big lake at the bottom. There's an urban legend that the family that lives/lived in one of the houses on the road had severly deformed children that were forbidden to leave the forest. People say that when you drive on the road on warm summer nights you can still see them playing amongst the trees. All in all it makes for some nice nighttime driving.

Futt Bucker on
    My color is black to the blind
  • Options
    tallgeezetallgeeze Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I raced a 350z in morning traffic in my 98 acura. I didn't plan it, but it kinda just happened. You gotta make that morning commute fun. I won because he fucked up and got behind a minivan.

Another time I was speeding down the highway some guy in jeep pulled beside me. He looked like a rocker type dude and was trying to tell me something. I couldn't hear shit because of the wind noise, so I did the thumbs up and looked happy. The twist of this story is that he had what looked like a 8 yr old girl in the passenger seat.

Needless to say I lost the will to keep driving at my current speed. Who knows what was going on in that guy's head.

tallgeeze on
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Driving is awesome.

This summer, my wife, son, and I will be driving Skyline Drive and camping. This fall, my wife, son, and I will be driving the Blue Ridge Parkway and camping.

Xaquin on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    My first car was a 1971 Pontiac Ventura II. Me, my friend in his Audi 200, and some random guy in a Porsche 944 once three manned the Northern Parkway, a two lane that doesn't allow commercial vehicles. We weren't going that much faster than everyone else, atleast at first, doing maybe seventy on a decently packed afternoon a handful of hours after the morning rush.

The three of us worked as a team, though. The 944 would cut in front of me and slip around someone, than decelerate so the Audi and I could come around, and we'd sail along and do the same thing further on, moving as a pack and smoothly creating openings for eachother. Much fun.

Coincidentally, that very same day I learned something about that car. The Ventura, obviously an older vehicle, had those classy triangle windows in front of the main passanger and drivers windows. On the way home from school that evening with the sun comming down behind me I learned that the drivers side triangle window would be forced out of its positing by wind pressure at about sixty five miles an hour, but the passanger side trinagle window held out all the way to 120, and only when I was hugging the outside of a pretty broad right hand curve.

iStevo on
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I love the freedom that having a car affords, but I don't actually like to drive.

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    IskanderIskander Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    "piticularily"?

Iskander on
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I love driving. Right up until I see the flash of a mobile speed camera unit, then it's not so much fun.

Stupid Phoenix

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    DaricDaric Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I thought this was a Street Fighter thread.

Now I'm disappointed.

Daric on
    cc61181c22f23454a304a4f1f0867845044.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I want the revenge and empowerment that comes with killing humans, but fear of punishment and years of morality keep me in check.

Help me overcome myself.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Iskander wrote: »
    "piticularily"?

Sure, why not?

iStevo on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Also I love driving. Fuck everyone else on the street, I am driving the fuck out of my car.

Iskander on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    As long as you don't pass a guy on the right and use your signals, I say drive like a crazy, son.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    ValVal Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I love riding my motorbike, which is kinda the same as driving. Esprcially visiting my parents since it's 40 minutes of basically deserted road between me and them. Might have to sell it soon though which makes me sad.

Val on
  • Options
    MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Fuck florida drivers

they are so fucking retarded you wouldn't believe oh my godfkjsdafjkasdghasldkguasgiuyehrwajklfgsdgyujwirohiorejheiturobjknj4u89bdhjkilfdjrheg

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Options
    FramlingFramling FaceHead Geebs has bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I hate driving. Too much traffic, simultaneously pissing me off by going too slow and setting me on edge because I have to be looking every fucking direction at once.

Framling on
    you're = you are
    your = belonging to you

their = belonging to them
    there = not here
    they're = they are
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    It really irks me when people don't signal. If it's to get into or to follow a turning only lane, than I don't really mind. But if you slow down to turn with no warning or you're on the highway and just weaving at random and breaking my flow than you deserve to be in a colission.

I know its illegal to pass someone on the right, but I'll ignore that one if I want to get around and someone is riding the left like an old lady.

Also, this is amusing to me in many ways.

iStevo on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    If I'm driving behind someone who's slow as fuck, I'll usually just flash the lights. Usually makes 'em react in some way that is helpful to me.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I like driving in my car, it dont look much but Ive been far
    I like driving in my car, even with a flat tyre
    I like driving in my car, its not quite a jaguar
    I like driving in my car, Im satisfied Ive got this far

Yeah, I love driving. I despise public transport.

Bad-Beat on
  • Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2009
    Veretas wrote: »
    Fuck florida drivers

they are so fucking retarded you wouldn't believe oh my godfkjsdafjkasdghasldkguasgiuyehrwajklfgsdgyujwirohiorejheiturobjknj4u89bdhjkilfdjrheg

You know, I've heard this stereotype loads but never actually experienced it. I've driven in Florida a few times (A massive distance of Disney -> Busch gardens) and I was having a blast just cruising along in the boat. Maybe people react differently to Sebrings with the top down and the air conditioning on full.
    Peter Ebel wrote: »
    If I'm driving behind someone who's slow as fuck, I'll usually just flash the lights. Usually makes 'em react in some way that is helpful to me.

If someone comes up behind me and flashes their lights at me I'll continue to do the speed I'm doing. I'm not going to change my speed just because some arsehole is so important that it's vital he gets to his destination 2 seconds faster, and I'm also not going to attempt to change lane until I think it's safe to do so.

Usually the only reaction I give is to flip them off.

SporkAndrew on
    The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    FramlingFramling FaceHead Geebs has bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    public transit is great.

I can get on a bus, and I don't have to give a shit about anyone else driving.

I can just read or listen to mp3s or play my DS.

Framling on
    you're = you are
    your = belonging to you

their = belonging to them
    there = not here
    they're = they are
  • Options
    ScudoScudo Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I definitely hate city driving, but put me on an empty highway in the middle of the night, alone with my thoughts, and I'm pretty content

Scudo on
  • Options
    DeadlySherpaDeadlySherpa Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I love getting lost. Any time of the day or night, unless i've absolutely got to be somewhere I like exploring and going somewhere new in my car

Makes things an adventure, you can go so far in a car too

may be doing this in a motorcycle sometime. I think that would be a blast.

DeadlySherpa on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Unless I'm getting into Brooklyn, it's impossible for me to get lost on the Island these days. Im not saying I know every road by heart, but theres about a ninety percent chance I'll recognize a given road at a given time of day and be able to figure out how to get somewhere specific.

iStevo on
  • Options
    Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Driving to work is a dream. Because I leave at 6:30am there is like 1/20th of the normal traffic on the road and it takes 15 minutes. It would take at least an hour if I used public transport and I'd have to wake up at 4am.

Bad-Beat on
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I drive a 1988 Saab 900 Turbo

this thing is my Millennium Falcon

it has like 160k miles on it, but if you take care of a Saab it'll run forever

I fucking love driving it

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    OmegaTofuNinjaOmegaTofuNinja Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    My 99 Taurus and I have a complicated relationship. It's not in top condition and driving it is kind of dangerous. But I like it and it hasn't failed me yet. The other day I was driving back home after visiting some friends. It's like a 130 mile trip so I wasn't too worried about my front right tire being a little flat. I make it home, take some dudes to the store and come back home perfectly fine. The next morning I realize the tire is completely flat.

I love that car though.

e: We have also named it El La Cucaracha

OmegaTofuNinja on
    Facebook Wii: 7912 0299 8667 6601 I tweet sometimes Poetry?!
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Peter Ebel wrote: »

If someone comes up behind me and flashes their lights at me I'll continue to do the speed I'm doing. I'm not going to change my speed just because some arsehole is so important that it's vital he gets to his destination 2 seconds faster, and I'm also not going to attempt to change lane until I think it's safe to do so.

Usually the only reaction I give is to flip them off.

That is usually my cue to pass the slow driver on the right

Iskander on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    My 99 Taurus and I have a complicated relationship. It's not in top condition and driving it is kind of dangerous. But I like it and it hasn't failed me yet. The other day I was driving back home after visiting some friends. It's like a 130 mile trip so I wasn't too worried about my front right tire being a little flat. I make it home, take some dudes to the store and come back home perfectly fine. The next morning I realize the tire is completely flat.

I love that car though.

e: We have also named it El La Cucaracha

Its been a while since highschool spanish, but isn't that 'The the cockroach'?

iStevo on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    yes except its a hermaphrodite cockroach

Iskander on
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Oh yeah

mine is named the Silver Bullet

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I don't see how thats grammatically relevant, but whatevs.

I give my cars sexy lady names.

iStevo on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I call mine "car"

Iskander on
  • Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2009
    iStevo wrote: »
    I don't see how thats grammatically relevant, but whatevs.

I give my cars sexy lady names.

My car is called "Jesus fuck what the crap was that noise why do you insist on making these new noises every time I start you up stop it what are you doing why are you doing that you only used to do that whilst turning left now you're doing it whilst turning right why don't you have any poke can't you go faster than 60 why are you rusting all over"

It's a bit of a mouthful.

SporkAndrew on
    The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin