As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Let's Play] Final Fantasy VII! A Tale of Revenge, Redemption, and Ridiculosity

• Options
    AdusAdus Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    Sephiroth probably misses his old glasses.

That, or he was recalling the time Genesis replaced Angeal's Fire materia for a marble, then laughed as Angeal wondered why he had no elemental defence against that dragon...

Does that really happen? Cause that's pretty funny. I didn't get around to playing Crisis Core. Actually considering how big a fan of FFVII I am, I really didn't give a crap about any of the supplement games. I also thought the movie was pretty mediocre, too.

I'm told Crisis Core explains a bit about why Sephiroth flips out here. I always thought his meltdown was a bit flimsily explained. He just fits some things together in his head and makes assumptions and goes nuts for it.
    Jenova wasn't even his real mother. :/

I also don't get why Tifa just plants her head on the fountain in that one bit. My guess is she gets bored with the Mako/Materia talk, but it just seems really random.

Adus on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The Nibelheim part in Crisis Core doesn't say much that VII didn't.
    Sephiroth reads the reports written by Hojo, leading him to believe what Hojo wanted him to believe: Jenova was his mother. Sephiroth learns his life was a lie, snaps, and proceeds to burn Nibelheim to the ground.

Everything before that is golden, it goes way downhill from there.

Well, the part near the end with Cissnei was good.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    After reading the FF8 LP and trying to make sense of the plot I think I have an aneurysm.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    After reading the FF8 LP and trying to make sense of the plot I think I have an aneurysm.

It truly is the worst game ever.

Schide on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Yeah, seriously. As tough as I'm being on FF7, most of the story problems can be dealt with by simply just remembering it's just a game and to just relax (course pointing them out is still amusing). But that's because none of the plot holes or inconsistencies are are anywhere near "Hey, we all came from the same orphanage but just forgot thanks to Guardian Forces. Why? Let's not waste time thinking about it."

Adus on
  • Options
    BlitzAce1981BlitzAce1981 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Sephiroth reads the reports written by Hojo, leading him to believe what Hojo wanted him to believe: Jenova was his mother. Sephiroth learns his life was a lie, snaps, and proceeds to burn Nibelheim to the ground.

As far as I'm concerned, any part with Cissnei was good.

Oh, and
    Genesis turns up in the Nibelheim reactor just after the fade out in this part, and possibly makes Sephiroth even more of a mentalist.

BlitzAce1981 on
    PSN ID - BlitzAce1981 FFXIV - Raiden Solitaire (Sargatanas)
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Oh, and
    Genesis turns up in the Nibelheim reactor just after the fade out in this part, and possibly makes Sephiroth even more of a mentalist.
    poster-the_mentalist-cbs.jpg

Now why would you go and make me do that.

Schide on
  • Options
    MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Adus wrote: »
    Yeah, seriously. As tough as I'm being on FF7, most of the story problems can be dealt with by simply just remembering it's just a game and to just relax (course pointing them out is still amusing). But that's because none of the plot holes or inconsistencies are are anywhere near "Hey, we all came from the same orphanage but just forgot thanks to Guardian Forces. Why? Let's not waste time thinking about it."

A new translation would do wonders.

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Options
    ShujaaShujaa Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Schide wrote: »

It truly is the worst game ever.

It's actually my favourite FF game to play, simply because the combat is so enjoyable. People whine about the draw system, but you rarely need it if you know how to use the Refine abilities.

The combat flows smoothly, has useful normal spells, buffs and debuffs, and all the effects are great to look at. Especially the GFs (unskippable sequences not withstanding).

The story *IS* garbage, and they did lose out on a whole lot of potential by not exploring the Rinoa=Ultimecia route. But if I wanted engaging and realistic story, frankly I wouldn't be playing a JRPG in the first place :P

Shujaa on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    If Square's smart, when they come around to porting FFVIII, they'll just make Triple Triad Portable.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm here to defend FF8 for having a decent story when people just pay attention. It's no worse than, say, Cloud getting swallowed up by the planet and spit back out and being a cripple afterwards. You just don't get subjected to a long-winded explanation of the planet being alive and it wiping his memory and Mako exposure and blah blah blah. I actually appreciate stories where each and every little thing isn't spelled out in massive, 10-foot high flaming letters. Why don't they talk about how they grew up in an orphanage and magic messed with their heads? Because they've got more important things to deal with. Moving on.

At the worst of times, I find FF8's story to be tolerable, which is more than I can say for the increasing number of FF7 spinoffs. I don't even count the overwhelming majority of JRPG garbage that gets pumped out these days as worth checking out even to laugh at.
    If Square's smart, when they come around to porting FFVIII, they'll just make Triple Triad Portable.

If Square was smart, than they'd redo FF7 entirely for every system and make a killing on a game which already has all the art and set design finished. I cringe at what they would do to the game to make the spinoff stuff have tie-ins, though. If Square was smart, they'd stop trying to cram androgynous teens into serious storylines. Too bad Square suffers from corporate blindness and has absolutely no clue what things they own are actually good, only what sells.

Also, lol Mako bong. That would certainly explain some memory loss.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    FF VIII is a great game.

Triple Triad might be better, but I still love VIII.

That is beside the point. Great thread. I love screenshot LPs myself, and this one is particularly good.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Oh, and
    poster-the_mentalist-cbs.jpg

Now why would you go and make me do that.
    You should've added one above Sephiroth's head, but instead of the obvious "set an entire village on fire", made it something stupid, like "kicked a puppy" or "stole Scarlet's underwear".

BlitzAce1981 on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I also don't get why Tifa just plants her head on the fountain in that one bit. My guess is she gets bored with the Mako/Materia talk, but it just seems really random.

It always looks to me like she's tying her boots/shoes. They are hiking up a mountainside and taking a break, so it makes some sense.
    FF VIII is a great game.

Triple Triad might be better, but I still love VIII.

That is beside the point. Great thread. I love screenshot LPs myself, and this one is particularly good.

Yeah, I'm actually liking this one a good bit better than the FF8 one. In the FF8 one, the guy just keeps going on and on about how much he hates this character or that character. It really drags down the LP by interrupting every dialogue sequence with "lol stupid" comments or making every other remark about how much the guy hates a given character. We get it. The guy needs every last detail spelled out in capital letters or else he has an aneurysm.

Now, stuff like pointing out that you're given the option to bust into the headquarters of a big mega-corporation with the world's premiere army at their command when you have to do this elaborate sneaking sequence to get into a slum mansion? That's funny. "Once upon a time, Sephiroth was a dick. The end." Also funny. An endless stream of comments about hating a character for several screenshots on end? Then doing it for most of the characters? Gets old, fast. A cocaine-smuggling, bridge-hating Sephiroth is funny, though.

Basically, just keep doing what you're doing. It's good stuff.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    ShujaaShujaa Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm just sad that President Costanza is dead :(

Shujaa on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Ugh, all right people, let's not bog down Mr. Adus' nice thread with talk about that godawful next game in the series. Let's just have this thread be about FF7 and FF7 only, you have another FF thread where you can go be delusional about the quality of other FF games.

Schide on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Ugh, all right people, let's not bog down Mr. Adus' nice thread with talk about that godawful next game in the series. Let's just have this thread be about FF7 and FF7 only, you have another FF thread where you can go be delusional about the quality of other FF games.

OK.
    Ass.

Pretty sure we were already done talking about just FF8 instead of commenting on the LP. Thanks for keeping us on track anyway, Mom.
    Shujaa wrote: »
    I'm just sad that President Costanza is dead :(

'Tis truly a pity. The goofy faces that completely didn't fit the scenes will be missed.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Actually in my opening post I requested this not turn into an FF debate, but I'll take the blame for it for fueling the fire, myself. As far as comments about hating characters, I did it to Jessie because I really do dislike her. She always struck me as a screwup and they had to go toss in the flirting, too. Just once I wanted someone to call her on it. Maybe I went overboard though. Biggs and Wedge were just useless to the point where if I acted like they were even there, it was doing them a favor.

Aeris gets on my nerves, but I don't hate her. She is shoved in your face pretty quickly though. Pretty much all the characters have dumb moments for the first portion of the game though. I mean, Red XIII introducing himself as a research specimen? I know they're trying to avoid any expository dialogue at all at that point, but couldn't they have thought up something better?

Adus on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Actually in my opening post I requested this not turn into an FF debate, but I'll take the blame for it for fueling the fire, myself. As far as comments about hating characters, I did it to Jessie because I really do dislike her. She always struck me as a screwup and they had to go toss in the flirting, too. Just once I wanted someone to call her on it. Maybe I went overboard though. Biggs and Wedge were just useless to the point where if I acted like they were even there, it was doing them a favor.

Aeris gets on my nerves, but I don't hate her. She is shoved in your face pretty quickly though. Pretty much all the characters have dumb moments for the first portion of the game though. I mean, Red XIII introducing himself as a research specimen? I know they're trying to avoid any expository dialogue at all at that point, but couldn't they have thought up something better?

I've got no complaints about your LP or your comments. You've got plenty of stuff interspersed in there besides "I hate this character" or "this is a stupid plot point." It doesn't even matter for the redshirt characters because they die anyway which means there's a payoff to hating them. Plus, you're largely leaving the exposition alone instead of jamming useless comments in between every sentence.

You're only pointing out stuff that's actually funny and leaving the rest to the readers. If there's not much to work with, you keep it in text-only and stick it in a spoiler. As long as you don't end up spending update after update going on and on about a dead chick who obviously isn't dead (from the FF8 one), you shouldn't have to worry about this LP staying a quality act.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I was hoping to finish up Squall's Story before I went out of town for a few days, but while I got the gameplay and shots, I didn't get the writing done. Sorry about that. Should be up sometime during the weekend.

Adus on
  • Options
    SepahSepah Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Hah, this is looking like a really good LP dude.

Makes me want to play FF7 again... and I have it installed already... hmm... back in several days.

Sepah on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Part 8-2: Why'd It Have to be Snakes?
    Sigh. We’re back. This section badly needs one of these:

cliff.jpg

Anyways, let us continue.

849d.jpg
    850a.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘Just sitting in the corner… listening to Linkin Park…’

851f.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘Lockheart, if I don’t return… tell your tits I love them…’

Okay, so the Shinra mansion. I swear it was modeled after the hotel from The Shining because that’s precisely the ominous vibe it has.

852l.jpg
    853t.jpg

sephirothhead.jpg ‘This would be so much simpler if I had actually learned to read…’

854h.jpg
    855l.jpg

sephirothhead.jpg ‘A bar… Seriously, the laugh aftershocks just keep on comin’.’

856i.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘I er.. uh.. Pizza delivery for a… Miss Zephyr Ross?’

Sephiroth
    "Hmph... traitor."

Squall
    "Traitor?"

Sephiroth
    "You ignorant traitor. I'll tell you."

(He faces the wall.)

Sephiroth
    "This Planet originally belonged to the Cetra. Cetra was a
    itinerant race. They would migrate in, settle the Planet, then move on..."
    "At the end of their harsh, hard journey, they would find the
    Promised Land and supreme happiness."

(He turns to Squall.)

Sephiroth
    "But, those that disliked the journey appeared. Those who stopped
    their migrations built shelters and elected to lead an easier life."
    "They took that which the Cetra and the planet had made without
    giving one whit in return!"

(He looks down.)

Sephiroth
    "Those are your ancestors."

Squall
    "Sephiroth..."

Sephiroth
    "Long ago, disaster struck this planet."

(He looks up and walks to another spot, facing the wall.)

Sephiroth
    "Your ancestors escaped... They survived because they hid."
    "The Planet was saved by sacrificing the Cetra. After that, your
    ancestors continued to increase."

(He looks at Squall.)

Sephiroth
    "Now all that's left of the Cetra is in these reports."

Squall
    "What does that have to do with you?"

Sephiroth
    "Don't you get it?"

(He stands next to Squall, not facing him, but facing down the hallway.)

Sephiroth
    "An Ancient named Jenova was found in the geological stratum of
    2000 years ago."
    "The Jenova Project."

(He holds his face.)

Sephiroth
    "The Jenova Project wanted to produce people with the powers of
    the Ancients..... no, the Cetra."

(He looks up and straightens.)

Sephiroth
    "...I am the one that was produced."

(Squall turns to face him. Sephiroth does not turn.)

Squall
    "Pr... produced!?"

(The camera is now looking at Squall and Sephiroth from down the narrow
    hallway.)

Sephiroth
    "Yes."
    "Professor Gast, leader of the Jenova Project and genius
    scientist, produced me."

(Sephiroth walks down the hallway, then stops and stands motionless at
    the end.)

Squall
    "How... how did he...?"

He runs after Sephiroth, then stops.)

Squall
    "Se... Sephiroth?"

Sephiroth
    "Out of my way. I'm going to see my mother."

857f.jpg

sephirothhead.jpg ‘Must… avoid cracks… Cannot break Mother’s back…’

Outside, we find DEVASTATION

858k.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘Well, the mushy marshmallow men that live inside my brain inform me that I am perfectly fine, so I’m inclined to believe them. You’re wearing a cape however, so they tell me you’re fucking nuts.’

859z.jpg
    860a.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘The answer that question just may be the same as “Am I half on fire?”‘

861xc.jpg

I’m a high class LP writer, so you can caption this one yourselves.

862lu.jpg

sephirothhead.jpg ‘*clears throat*

To mass fires, yes. One hundred stories high
    People gettin' loose y'all gettin' down on the roof - Do you hear?
    (the folks are flaming) Folks were screamin' - out of control
    It was so entertainin' - when the boogie started to explode
    I heard somebody say…’

863z.jpg

sephirothhead.jpg ‘Burn… baby, burn…’

864s.jpg

Back at the reactor, we’re treated to a familiar scene. Squall envisions the sexy possibilities.

865dm.jpg

sephirothhead.jpg ‘Well, it was pretty easy, I just cast a bunch of fire magi- fuck, I mean... Fire Condensed Mako Energy’s Knowledge and Wisdom of the Ancients That Interacts Between Ourselves and the Planet.’

866u.jpg

tifahead.jpg ‘Fire CMEKWATIBOP!? You monster!’

867r.jpg
    868a.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘Oh Jesus… Lockheart…

He… sliced you right in the funbags! THAT MONSTER!’

869b.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘Precisely. And here I am, KEEPING THAT PROMISE. So I better never hear about this again. Ever.

Yeah, who am I kidding?’

870yo.jpg

Inside the Power Chamber…

871q.jpg
    "I've thought of a great idea. Let's go to the Promised Land."

(Squall enters the room, coming up behind Sephiroth.)

Squall
    "Sephiroth..."
    "My family! My hometown! How could you do this to them!?"

(Sephiroth, slowly, looks down and lowers his arms. His shoulders start
    bouncing.)

Sephiroth
    "Ha, ha, ha..... They've come again, mother."

(He stops laughing.)

Sephiroth
    "With her superior power, knowledge, and magic, Mother was
    destined to become the ruler of this Planet."

(FMV sequence. Sephiroth speaks to Jenova,

But they...
    Those worthless creatures
    are stealing the planet from Mother
    But now I'm here with you

872a.jpg

sephirothhead.jpg ‘Be happy… dum dum dum dum…’

873a.jpg
    874f.jpg
    875w.jpg

sephirothhead.jpg ‘Zordon! I’ve come to replace that prick Tommy as the White Douchba- er, Ranger!’

876x.jpg

sephirothhead.jpg ‘Woah, Zordon, you’ve certainly become a lot sexier… Oh my, this is Mother! Why Mother… what… Huge Stonking Tits you have…’

877n.jpg
    (Squall brandishes his sword.)

Squall
    "What about MY sadness!? My family... friends... The sadness of
    having my hometown taken away from me!?"
    "It's the same as your sadness!"

(Sephiroth stands by Jenova, his arms raised, holding his sword high.)

Sephiroth
    "Ha, ha, ha... my sadness? What do I have to be sad about?"
    "I am the chosen one. I have been chosen to be the leader of this
    Planet."
    "I have orders to take this planet back from you stupid people
    for the Cetra. What am I supposed to be sad about?"

(Squall turns his face away.)

Squall
    "Sephiroth.... I trusted you..."

(He looks up and raises his sword.)

Squall
    "No, you're not the Sephiroth I used to know!"

878j.jpg

Oh shit. This is going to be epic.

879z.jpg

………………………………………………………….

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

880xj.jpg

Loaf cites what should have been stated on the box.

final-fantasy-vii-cover.jpg

881xq.jpg
    882rm.jpg

Brilliant. Leave the thinking to the people who consider crossdressing a viable infiltration technique.

883e.jpg
    884pm.jpg

Not as sad as I am at this translation.

885ek.jpg
    886ws.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘What the fuck is a PHS?’

887v.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘Pussy homing system? Wicked.’

Okay, so we leave Kalm and somehow we know we need to head to the Mythril Mines. Before the mines, however, is a large marsh. Containing this.

888ih.jpg

The Midgar Zolom. He’s intentionally difficult so you have to do the Chocobo Taming to cross the marsh, but I thought I might be leveled up enough to beat him. I pretty much had him but he casts this little thing.

889z.jpg

Beta. You can learn it with Enemy Skill… if you survive. It did over a thousand damage, so clearly I wasn’t as prepared as I thought. I died but you don’t get a game over, rather just sent back to the edge of the marsh. I didn’t want to waste any more time seeing if I could get him so I went to the ranch.

890ms.jpg

You go through rigmarole to get a mutant riding chicken. It allows you to cross the marsh swiftily, but once you get there. DUN DUN DUNNNN…

891z.jpg

Sephiroth apparently carries around giant wooden stakes, because that big ass sword just isn’t manly enough or something.

That’s all for now. Next time on Final Fantasy VII: We built this cannon on Rock and Roll!

Adus on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    This is fantastic. :lol:

I always thought the Midgar Zolom thing was a bit weird. They talk like there is only one of them, but then we see one impaled by Sephiroth, yet there's still another one roaming around in the marsh.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Finally, I can post this in here:

Can the mines be passed before Kalm?
    No they can't.

Also, apologies for the crappy audio commentary, because I absolutely suck at it.

BlitzAce1981 on
  • Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Holy crap this story makes NO SENSE whatsoever.

But the LP is still awesome.

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Finally, I can post this in here:
    No they can't.

Also, apologies for the crappy audio commentary, because I absolutely suck at it.

Yeah, you were a lot better off than I was. Kind of nice to see they scripted a response to trying to pass instead of just putting up an invisible wall. I wish you could just go on though, or at least make Cloud's Story skippable. It's like a huge cutscene and it requires more input than just text scrolling so you're stuck paying attention throughout the whole thing.

The next part I dread for similar reasons is the Lifestream sequence.

Adus on
  • Options
    ZellZell Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Uh, to kill that thing you only need elemental defence+fire materia+enemy skill one one character and just use beta against it after it uses it on you... Some level grinding might still be required, but not much at all.

Zell on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Zell wrote: »
    Uh, to kill that thing you only need elemental defence+fire materia+enemy skill one one character and just use beta against it after it uses it on you... Some level grinding might still be required, but not much at all.

Probably enough grinding to reach 800 HP just to safely survive a bite immediately after it uses Beta, 900 HP if you've not got Sadness, and 1000 HP if you're in the front row for whatever reason...

That said, if you desperately want Beta for the early game, but don't want to grind, you can always play up until Costa Del Sol, grab the Fire Ring from the villa, then head back... but if you're doing that, it's better to wait until you go a bit further and get Manipulate; that way you can grab Big Guard and White Wind on the way back. Even at that stage, Beta is overpowered - I think it works out as All-Fire3andahalf, but at 65% of the cost of Fire3. Considering you'll have Fire2 at best...

(Can you tell I've been playing this to death lately? :) )

BlitzAce1981 on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Probably enough grinding to reach 800 HP just to safely survive a bite immediately after it uses Beta, 900 HP if you've not got Sadness, and 1000 HP if you're in the front row for whatever reason...
    Still probably takes less grinding than getting all those limit breaks. I'm also pretty sure I got a chance to heal before the bite...

Zell on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Still probably takes less grinding than getting all those limit breaks. I'm also pretty sure I got a chance to heal before the bite...

Or he can just skip all this excessive planning, grab a chocobo, and move on with the game. What's with this moral imperative that people MUST confront the zolom right away and get beta?

More importantly, nice update. Particularly enjoyed the scream of rage at the end of the flashback and the re-editing of the game cover to reflect Barret's attitude. Also, Zordon references FTW.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I had no interest in actually beating the Zolom, but wanted to put him in the update. I think I almost had him dead with my nonexistent planning anyways. Like I said though, I'm not an expert at this game. Just planning to get to the end, not really give a comprehensive strategy guide.

I also forgot to mention that I guess Yuffie is coming up so if you want to toss out a name suggestion then go for it.

Adus on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I had no interest in actually beating the Zolom, but wanted to put him in the update. I think I almost had him dead with my nonexistent planning anyways. Like I said though, I'm not an expert at this game. Just planning to get to the end, not really give a comprehensive strategy guide.

I also forgot to mention that I guess Yuffie is coming up so if you want to toss out a name suggestion then go for it.

My criticism isn't aimed at you at all. I mean, who doesn't take a crack at the zolom just to see if they can get past? I just don't get why people would even bother planning and grinding to beat the zolom when they can just skip the whole thing and move on with the game.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

My criticism isn't aimed at you at all. I mean, who doesn't take a crack at the zolom just to see if they can get past? I just don't get why people would even bother planning and grinding to beat the zolom when they can just skip the whole thing and move on with the game.

Well, in this case, I figured that since I had never tried to bypass the flashback in Kalm, I'd give it a shot and see what happened; because I hadn't been to Kalm, I figured the Chocobo Farm wouldn't give me the Chocobo Lure materia needed to get a chocobo (although, I never actually bothered to check...); because I had no chocobo, the only way to get to the mines was by trying to get past the Zolom on foot; because of that, I had to be prepared for the almost-inevitable fight. Consider what I've done as a mere experiment of whether the programmers actually bothered to prevent sequence breaking, and not an attempt at beating the Zolom itself - the (in hindsight, not even needed) grinding was just a side-effect of my attempt to do so.

Besides, every other time I've played the game, I came back with 3000+ HP on disc 2 and beat the crap out of it. :D

BlitzAce1981 on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Maybe they are people who do not like planning and grinding and as such want the way overpowered enemy skill to deal with all enemy encounters from that point?

Zell on
  • Options
    SideshowxelaSideshowxela Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Of course I have to find this thread when I should be studying for midterms. Even worse, it's hilariously entertaining. Keep up the good work, Adus. It's been so long since I've played that I remembered Aeris as likeable, so my feelings towards Yuffie could be mislead, but I was never fond of her. She does
    steal your materia
    , so I'd suggest naming her something negative with the potential to add new meaning to third person references by other characters, which I assume would be the majority of in-game dialogue where her name is mentioned. Klepto? worthless? that spaz?

Sideshowxela on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Of course I have to find this thread when I should be studying for midterms. Even worse, it's hilariously entertaining. Keep up the good work, Adus. It's been so long since I've played that I remembered Aeris as likeable, so my feelings towards Yuffie could be mislead, but I was never fond of her. She does
    steal your materia
    , so I'd suggest naming her something negative with the potential to add new meaning to third person references by other characters, which I assume would be the majority of in-game dialogue where her name is mentioned. Klepto? worthless? that spaz?

Klepto I'll let slide... but she's far from worthless. Doom Of The Living = Level 3 version of Omnislash (same number of hits too), Conformer = full damage when using Morph instead of 1/8 damage + does more damage to higher level enemies, Clear Tranquil = the only healing Limit used by someone who isn't Aerith. She actually works out as being one of the best 3 non-Cloud characters, with the others being Barret and Cid.

My suggestions : Taki Jr, NinNinNin, Theif (with intentional typo), SHINY!!!!, and MystryNnj (since Mystery Ninja won't fit). I would put a suggestion in leetspeak, but I don't think people want to have their eyes raped by it every update.

BlitzAce1981 on
  • Options
    TimestonesTimestones Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I nominate naming Yuffie "Brat" or some variant of that.

Timestones on
  • Options
    SideshowxelaSideshowxela Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    she's far from worthless. Doom Of The Living = Level 3 version of Omnislash (same number of hits too), Conformer = full damage when using Morph instead of 1/8 damage + does more damage to higher level enemies, Clear Tranquil = the only healing Limit used by someone who isn't Aerith. She actually works out as being one of the best 3 non-Cloud characters, with the others being Barret and Cid.

Well, see, there you go. I feel like I'm learning a lot from this thread, probably because I am. One question I did have, who is/are Cloud's inner voices when he's warned of setting the bomb at the reactor and after he falls through the church? I don't remember if that's ever revealed or not.

Sideshowxela on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Bitchpants

Wait that's probably too many characters.

Schide on
  • Options
    EvangirEvangir Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    How about Jailbait?

Evangir on
    PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478