As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The New PB&J

• Options
    laughingfuzzballlaughingfuzzball Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Larlar wrote: »
    what else would it be?

I am just curious how the phrase came to be

Like, did people fight over beef a lot in older times
    Goddamn 14,000 posts

Top of the third paragraph.

It's by no means a credible source, but it's the best I could find quickly and he has a half-decent theory. Etymology is neat.

Folk etymology is pointless at best, more commonly a corrupting force affecting not only the language in question but also the common man's understanding of history, sociology, geography, science, and any of the other disparate fields such masturbatory exercises call upon.

laughingfuzzball on
  • Options
    DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Defender wrote: »
    the correct usage of the joke is "what smells like updog" or "it smells like updog in here," not this bullshit updoc version

anyone who uses "updoc" is a poser fag

Yeah, somehow the original version is now the "poser" version. That makes sense.

look at defender thinking he knows facts

where is your documentation defender

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=updoc

I guess that would be the most formal, official documentation other than just knowing that "what's up dog?" is clearly a newer phrase than "what's up doc?"

Also, and I have this from good source (colored folk), it's "what up, dog," not "what's up, dog."

defender I am not talking about the phrase "what's up doc" I am talking about the popular "it smells like updog in here" joke so your claim as to the age of the respective phrases is irrelevant and you are a bullshit man made of too many words

Nobody ever said it had to be "smells like." The joke doesn't hinge on it, I didn't say it, you inferred that on your own.

don't semantics me, defender

OK. You made up that was arguing something that I never said. Then you made up that I argued that I didn't mishear the phrase. You have somehow created two strawman arguments where there was nothing to argue. I am proud of you. You can't see it, but I'm wiping away a single tear.

Defender on
  • Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Hey when you say you have "beef" with someone, like there is some contention between you and someone

Why is it beef?

Because beef is easy to squash when you are reconciled.

Yeah.

picturing two dudes making up and then just thrusting their hips against each other, mashing dicks

lollin'

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    LarlarLarlar consecutive normal brunches Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited April 2009
    what else would it be?

Goddamn 14,000 posts

It's by no means a credible source, but it's the best I could find quickly and he has a half-decent theory. Etymology is neat.

Folk etymology is pointless at best, more commonly a corrupting force affecting not only the language in question but also the common man's understanding of history, sociology, geography, science, and any of the other disparate fields such masturbatory exercises call upon.

I will name you Defender Jr.

Larlar on
    iwantanswers3.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Fallout wrote: »
    Hey when you say you have "beef" with someone, like there is some contention between you and someone

Why is it beef?

Yeah.

picturing two dudes making up and then just thrusting their hips against each other, mashing dicks

lollin'

That's how homophobia started. It hurts when you mash dicks and yours is soft and the other guy's is hard. Yup. These are facts about history.

Defender on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited April 2009
    the correct usage of the joke is "what smells like updog" or "it smells like updog in here," not this bullshit updoc version

anyone who uses "updoc" is a poser fag

Yeah, somehow the original version is now the "poser" version. That makes sense.

look at defender thinking he knows facts

where is your documentation defender

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=updoc

I guess that would be the most formal, official documentation other than just knowing that "what's up dog?" is clearly a newer phrase than "what's up doc?"

Also, and I have this from good source (colored folk), it's "what up, dog," not "what's up, dog."

defender I am not talking about the phrase "what's up doc" I am talking about the popular "it smells like updog in here" joke so your claim as to the age of the respective phrases is irrelevant and you are a bullshit man made of too many words

Nobody ever said it had to be "smells like." The joke doesn't hinge on it, I didn't say it, you inferred that on your own.

don't semantics me, defender

OK. You made up that was arguing something that I never said. Then you made up that I argued that I didn't mishear the phrase. You have somehow created two strawman arguments where there was nothing to argue. I am proud of you. You can't see it, but I'm wiping away a single tear.

damn my hubris

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009

Why is it beef?

Yeah.

lollin'

That's how homophobia started. It hurts when you mash dicks and yours is soft and the other guy's is hard. Yup. These are facts about history.

is... is that the same reason that why my face always hurts????

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

Why is it beef?

Yeah.

lollin'

It's what I do.

8-)

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    what else would it be?

Goddamn 14,000 posts

I will name you Defender Jr.

Hey, I have to be this pretentious if I'm going make it into that linguistics program.

Defender just does it because overblown semantics and blindly obsessive argumentation are the blood that engorges his e-peen.

laughingfuzzball on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Hey, I have to be this pretentious if I'm going make it into that linguistics program.

Defender just does it because overblown semantics and blindly obsessive argumentation are the blood that engorges his e-peen.

Hey, I do this for everyone. This is a service. The fact that people carry on five-page arguments about nothing whatsoever, even when I don't present an argument or a topic worth arguing, should be proof enough.

Also, look up "pretentious." It seems to be widely misused.

Defender on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

Hey, I do this for everyone. This is a service. The fact that people carry on five-page arguments about nothing whatsoever, even when I don't present an argument or a topic worth arguing, should be proof enough.

It is widely misused, but I know I am and have sufficient cause to believe that you are behaving in a manner intended to imply a status that I/you do not posses- in my case, intelligence and education, in yours a gigantic penis.

laughingfuzzball on
  • Options
    JasocoJasoco Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Yay! 6 more hours and we can talk about THE FUCKING OFFICE AGAIN! Not a stupid joke from a couple seasons ago.

Which I now realize was my own fault. God dammit! What have I done! I've inadvertently created the stupidest argument ever created on the internet and turned people into bumbling morons! Y'ALL ARE MORONS! SHUT THE FUCK UP YOU MORONS! I CREATED YOU! I CAN TAKE YOU OUT!

Jasoco on
  • Options
    AMP'dAMP'd Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    It smells like teen spirit in here

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    AMP'd wrote: »

Nothing a shower and some deodorant can't fix!

Jimothy on
  • Options
    EckoEcko Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Jasoco wrote: »
    Yay! 6 more hours and we can talk about THE FUCKING OFFICE AGAIN! Not a stupid joke from a couple seasons ago.

Which I now realize was my own fault. God dammit! What have I done! I've inadvertently created the stupidest argument ever created on the internet and turned people into bumbling morons! Y'ALL ARE MORONS! SHUT THE FUCK UP YOU MORONS! I CREATED YOU! I CAN TAKE YOU OUT!

Technically it's also my fault since I started talking about my favorite openings. We are terrible people.

Ecko on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Jimothy wrote: »
    AMP'd wrote: »

Nothing a shower and some deodorant can't fix!

A deodorant like...Teen Spirit?

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Ecko wrote: »

Technically it's also my fault since I started talking about my favorite openings. We are terrible people.
    We are equally terrible. We have but one choice. We must wipe the memories of everyone who participated in this stupid argument.

Jasoco on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Ecko wrote: »

We are equally terrible. We have but one choice. We must wipe the memories of everyone who participated in this stupid argument.

Smithers, use the amnesia ray.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Parks totally took that Fourskin joke from HIMYM. Or, you know, came up with it on their own.

That reporter was bangin'.

Jimothy on
  • Options
    LinksvilleLinksville Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Damn it Michael. Don't fuck this up. This is your chance to shine!

Linksville on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Yeah, I'm nervous too.

Jimothy on
  • Options
    Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    holy shit michael

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    LinksvilleLinksville Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Hah! The end was great. A smug Michael is the best Michael.

Linksville on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Well,
    They were able to restore the status quo (plus Erin) without seeming totally unlikely. Really exciting stuff.

Just a little sad that they were so set on restoring it at all. I prefer things to move along more.

Jimothy on
  • Options
    scarlet st.scarlet st. Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Sars_Boy wrote: »
    holy shit michael

this

I agree with the above, though
    I'm sad to see it just sort of revert back to normal.

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2009

It is widely misused, but I know I am and have sufficient cause to believe that you are behaving in a manner intended to imply a status that I/you do not posses- in my case, intelligence and education, in yours a gigantic penis.

I have never implied a giant penis. I have seen a giant penis, and mine is just normal.

Defender on
  • Options
    GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Awesome.
    Can't wait to see Pam as a salesperson! I love how Michael had them by the balls. A little wierd that Charles didn't mention what Dwight said in the meeting, though? Or did he and David not care?

Also, I still really like David, I don't care what anyone says. I was hoping to see David take Jim's side during the middle of the episode conference room discussions... like disagree with Charles on something and back up Jim.

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    GPIA7R wrote: »
    Awesome.
    Can't wait to see Pam as a salesperson! I love how Michael had them by the balls. A little wierd that Charles didn't mention what Dwight said in the meeting, though? Or did he and David not care?

Also, I still really like David, I don't care what anyone says. I was hoping to see David take Jim's side during the middle of the episode conference room discussions... like disagree with Charles on something and back up Jim.
    Charles was starting to take what Dwight had said seriously until Jim provoked him to start talking about beets and it reminded Charles that Dwight had been talking about beehives all morning and maybe wasn't completely reliable.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Holy shit this was incredible

Especially the very last little segment

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
  • Options
    EckoEcko Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Oh man, Michael...
    So glad he didn't fuck it up. And it'll be nice to see Pam as a salesperson.

Well, well, well. The turntables...

Ecko on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Our balls are in your court

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DesertBoxDesertBox Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I don't care if he murdered his entire family, he's like a son to me

DesertBox on
  • Options
    BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    "Hey, guys..."
    "No, you're done."

BusterK on
    Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • Options
    ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    dammit dammit dammit missed it tonight

Projeck on
  • Options
    LarlarLarlar consecutive normal brunches Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited April 2009
    I can't stop shivering with uncontrollable delight

projeck why do you keep missing the best episodes ever

Larlar on
    iwantanswers3.png
  • Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    That episode gave me the goodest feelings

Feelings of utmost good.

I never thought I'd be so damn glad to see Wallace again.

I Win Swordfights on
    lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    GOD DAMMIT for some reason my regularly scheduled DVR recording of this show recorded a completely different channel.

Now I have half of an hour long episode of some show I don't watch labeled "The Office" sitting on my DVR.

rhylith on
  • Options
    BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

Take a careful look at his AV/Sig and try to deduce why he keeps forgetting

BusterK on
    Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    BusterK wrote: »

Take a careful look at his AV/Sig and try to deduce why he keeps forgetting

oh come on the boy isn't conversing about it

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD