Options

The New PB&J

• Options
    AirAir Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    the whole thing was michael surviving the global economic crisis with some carefully applied updoc

Air on
    darjeelingshortsig95.jpg
  • Options
    DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Considering how Wallace was handling things before, Michael actually helped his situation. Miner wasn't going to let him run his branch the way Michael wanted, and while he didn't exactly have bad ideas, he was fucking with something that was working better than anything else in the entire company. Wallace obviously felt that Michael would just roll over, and he proved him wrong. And Wallace can't afford to get rid of him now, because Michael's just going to do what he did here and cut right into their business again.

And it's not really out of character for Michael to do what he did. He always pulls this sudden competence out of his ass when things get tough. I mean, it doesn't really manifest in any kind of social grace, but having him suddenly show a bit of business acumen isn't terrible.

I mean, to sum everything up, he got rid of his nemesis, stabilized his position in the company and took care of his employees. Plus he got a shot back in at the company that had been fucking with him all year. I don't know how that qualifies as shitting the bed, especially when you look at it from the perspective that he made what seemed to be an astoundingly stupid and reckless decision to quit in the first place. I suppose you could argue that he shit the bed then, but he did a damn good job of changing the sheets.

Those are some reasonable perspectives there, but I guess I have a different view.

First, I don't think Michael could really keep starting up companies. He would need money to do that, plus at some point his clients would probably get tired of buying one shipment of paper at a discount and then having to switch paper suppliers again. His office space was also free and was a called-in personal favor, which isn't indefinitely repeatable. I feel like this was a one-shot deal for those reasons.

Second, Michael's threat against David only worked because it was just before the annual stockholder's meeting, so again it's not something he could actually do over and over, and I think that Wallace knew that.

About Wallace not letting Michael run the branch the way he wanted to, I see where you're coming from but I don't agree. Wallace was cutting back on expenses, Miner saw the Roman orgy anniversary party as a waste of time, and in the end, Wallace was the one who "just rolled over." When Michael went in there, David told him, you know, "OK, you can have all that stuff you want if it will keep you happy." The figs, David being present, the whole party. Wallace actually did, in his own mind, attempt to give in to 100% of Michael's demands.

I think it is out of character for Michael to show such adept maneuvering like that. The only time I see him do that is with sales, which is his real skill. I guess...hmm. I could see this being similar, I guess, but it feels like he'd have to understand politics and executive-level business management, which he clearly doesn't get. But I could go with you on this as a Hail Mary that he just got lucky on.

I don't think he really secured his position. Maybe the show can be written that way, but in reality, he's only bought himself about a month or whatever until the shareholder's meeting. Now he's viewed as a disloyal worker who has a bad relationship with the two rungs directly above him. We're in a bad economy, too. This guy is replaceable, he can't keep up that attack forever, and Wallace knows it. The best thing he has going for him is that he has the most profitable branch, but the "get off my ass, I'm your best performer and you don't understand my methods" card could've been played without all the quitting and backstabbing.

Yes, quitting in the first place is part of what I consider to be this arc, so that's part of where I'm coming from. I agree that he recovered very well under the circumstances.

Defender on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    neville wrote: »
    Defender wrote: »
    I would love to see a crossover between 30 Rock and The Office, personally

Jack all taking it upon himself to mentor Michael

Liz awkwardly hitting on Jim and then finding out he's engaged

Kevin and Lutz hanging out

That's a horrible idea and you should feel bad for having it, and worse for posting it.

Anyway, not quite sure what to think about this arc. Michael has shit the bed yet again, but I feel that arcs like this, while interesting, are the kind of thing that makes a show oversaturated. The Simpsons is the one show that survives stuff like having this middle-class family travel to every continent, meet several world leaders including multiple US presidents, and even go to space a few times. But The Simpsons is this magical thing that seems immortal.

EDIT: My favorite part of this arc is still "shoe bitch."

shoe bitch was pretty damn great

Had to pause my damn Hulu! I mean just from off camera, completely out of nowhere "GET BACK TO WORK, SHOE BITCH!"

Defender on
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    office.jpg

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    So do terrible fan fiction people call the David/Charles pairing Charles Wallace?

Hey-o!

Jimothy on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

That's a horrible idea and you should feel bad for having it, and worse for posting it.

Yeah, I definitely regret posting that.

But I still want to see it.

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

Anyway, not quite sure what to think about this arc. Michael has shit the bed yet again, but I feel that arcs like this, while interesting, are the kind of thing that makes a show oversaturated. The Simpsons is the one show that survives stuff like having this middle-class family travel to every continent, meet several world leaders including multiple US presidents, and even go to space a few times. But The Simpsons is this magical thing that seems immortal.

EDIT: My favorite part of this arc is still "shoe bitch."

shoe bitch was pretty damn great

Had to pause my damn Hulu! I mean just from off camera, completely out of nowhere "GET BACK TO WORK, SHOE BITCH!"

Yeah I rewound the Tivo for that and Michael's reversal in the last episode of "No... you're done"

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Also a good moment, Neville.

CD, you should take some sort of lessons in good taste from Neville.

Defender on
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    but the simpsons is awful

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009

I am rather tasty

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    Dr.FunkensteinDr.Funkenstein Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

No one cares what you think anymore

You're bald

Dr.Funkenstein on
    TERRORSQUADSIG.gif
  • Options
    Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

I am rather tasty

gotta eat to live

gotta steal to eat

otherwise we'd get along

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

I am rather tasty

gotta eat to live

gotta steal to eat

otherwise we'd get along

:whistle:
    One jump ahead of the breadline
    One skip ahead of my doooooom

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009

I am rather tasty

gotta eat to live

gotta steal to eat

otherwise we'd get along

And once again my brain has replaced it with "other than that we could be friends."

I really liked what they did with that movie, aside from making Jasmine a modern/liberated woman. It's a tough call. The story is basically OK for kids, but I wouldn't want my daughter seeing medieval subservience to men as an appropriate behavior for herself. At the same time, the cultural context of the story is removed when you do shit like that. For me, the beauty of these old stories is all about the culture. After all, "poor guy with a good heart saves princess and falls in love and lives happily ever after" is a story that has been done a billion times, so the only thing that sets another culture's version apart or makes it interesting is seeing that culture reflected in the story.

Also her pet kitty was like a 1200 pound monster with huge fangs and claws.

Defender on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

I am rather tasty

gotta eat to live

gotta steal to eat

otherwise we'd get along

I steal, only what I can't afford (and that's everything!)

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

I am rather tasty

gotta eat to live

gotta steal to eat

otherwise we'd get along

wrong!

I hate you, Centipede Damascus!

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    no, you're wrong!

I just looked up the lyrics!
    Gotta keep
    One swing ahead of the sword
    I steal only what I can't afford
    ( That's Everything! )

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    totally wrong part of the song

I am blaming you because I like neville

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    you're so cruel!

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    aw

I'm sorry

I don't dislike you or anything, neville is just my special pooh-bear

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    And now I have to find that movie and watch it again. I hate you guys.

It wouldn't be so bad if I didn't have to find both it and a VCR as well as hooking the VCR up to watch it.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    Grim OutlookGrim Outlook Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    i am so happy for Michael.

the guy goes through so much it's great to see him win for once

also apparently ryan didn't learn that much at all in business school.

Grim Outlook on
  • Options
    AirAir Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    cruella ne vil

Air on
    darjeelingshortsig95.jpg
  • Options
    Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Agh I just saw the last four episodes and overall, this arc was great, stupendous. Charles ignoring Dwight's statement about MSPC bleeding ran a little false to me, but I can live with it.

Oh, and Steve Carell directed this episode. Well done.

How many episodes left this season?

Muddy Water on
  • Options
    thorgotthorgot there is special providence in the fall of a sparrowRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    3 more episodes

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2009

Yeah I was actually a little surprised that the concept of variable versus fixed cost was unclear to him. That's some basic shit that everyone should understand. Wait, let's overanalyze that shit for a second.

When he was in business school, he seemed to know what the fuck he was talking about. He seemed to work hard at it. Then he got the VP job. At that point he started his retarded youth-focused Web 2.0 social networking retarded bullshit and, when it was apparently failing, he moved up to outright fraud. So a dumb move, but the dude did have a legitimate MBA and all that.

So what happened? Did he forget it all? Did he not review the numbers for some reason, thinking they'd just get the loan, and then lie about it to trick the guy? Was he really never good at it at all, like to the point of not understanding that a bigger customer base means a bigger company with more overhead? Did he just let it go because he doesn't care enough to try, even though he has no other income and no other job he can get will treat him better than the "shoe bitch" place? Maybe it was a Hail Mary and he just felt like he had to roll with it. I don't like falling back on "plot hole" every two seconds, but that's also an option if nothing else works.

What do you guys think? How could Ryan let that detail go without even trying to make it look like there was a growth strategy?

Defender on
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I didn't really think about it much, but at the time I took it as he just tried to sound all sure and pull some business phrases out of his ass, not expecting the other guy to call his bluff.

Javen on
  • Options
    CrossBusterCrossBuster Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    All the drugs fried his brain and he forgot lots of stuff he learned in business school.

CrossBuster on
    penguins.png
  • Options
    NadsNads Bob Ducca Asleep in a cul-de-sac.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2009
    I loved Michael cutting off Charles mid-sentence and kicking him out of the office. Such a gratifying moment.

Nads on
    3c5d24e9-b7f2-44ba-bbf2-3b4658af70bd.jpg
  • Options
    JasocoJasoco Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    gotta eat to live

gotta steal to eat

otherwise we'd get along

Marry me. All three of you.

Boo-yah! NPIYF!

Jasoco on
  • Options
    BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I think Ryan just cheated his way through Business School
    So he knows some stuff basic and advanced
    But other seemingly obvious things he just never studied

BusterK on
    Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Or he forgot. What was he, a management major? Marketing?

I'm a marketing major, I struggled through two accounting courses. My classes since haven't revisited most of that stuff and I hope I never have to see it again.

Jimothy on
  • Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

Yeah I was actually a little surprised that the concept of variable versus fixed cost was unclear to him. That's some basic shit that everyone should understand. Wait, let's overanalyze that shit for a second.

When he was in business school, he seemed to know what the fuck he was talking about. He seemed to work hard at it. Then he got the VP job. At that point he started his retarded youth-focused Web 2.0 social networking retarded bullshit and, when it was apparently failing, he moved up to outright fraud. So a dumb move, but the dude did have a legitimate MBA and all that.

So what happened? Did he forget it all? Did he not review the numbers for some reason, thinking they'd just get the loan, and then lie about it to trick the guy? Was he really never good at it at all, like to the point of not understanding that a bigger customer base means a bigger company with more overhead? Did he just let it go because he doesn't care enough to try, even though he has no other income and no other job he can get will treat him better than the "shoe bitch" place? Maybe it was a Hail Mary and he just felt like he had to roll with it. I don't like falling back on "plot hole" every two seconds, but that's also an option if nothing else works.

What do you guys think? How could Ryan let that detail go without even trying to make it look like there was a growth strategy?

This from The Office thread from D&D--

The fixed cost pricing model is just as acceptable as the variable pricing model. Granted, the VCPM is used for for long-term businesses, therefore makes more sense in this situaiton, but the FCPM is useable too, just not as well received by external businesses (banks, delivery companies, etc.)

Bedigunz on
    cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Check the third deleted scene.

It is something special.

Jimothy on
  • Options
    BigtimesBigtimes United StatesRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009

No one cares what you think anymore

You're bald

3483656562_8168568e15.jpg

Bigtimes on
    5cv9cigg8rwa.gif

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Whoa!

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    BigtimesBigtimes United StatesRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Look everyone! It's joey Lawrence!

Does anyone get that reference?

Bigtimes on
    5cv9cigg8rwa.gif

• Options
    LarlarLarlar consecutive normal brunches Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited April 2009
    Oh Bigtimes, you loveable scamp.

Larlar on
  • Options
    JasocoJasoco Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Bigtimes wrote: »

I do, but I don't remember why...

Jasoco on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Jasoco wrote: »
    Bigtimes wrote: »

I do, but I don't remember why...
    it's better that way

Houk the Namebringer on