As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dark Void: Demo available on PSN/XBL now. Game available January 19th!

El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
edited June 2010 in Games and Technology
DARK VOID
They made CRIMSON SKIES!

Capcom's 360°-on-a-jetpack shooter, with a twist on the flavour-element-of-the-month: cover system. Oh, and it has elements of Shadow of the Colossus what with the climbing and systematically disabling weakpoints on mechanical monstrosities. And then there's the part where you skyjack an alien flying saucer, for the times when you want a little protection taking down flying enemies without feeling like a gnat with a pair of jetpack-mounted machine guns.

Capcom US' official page says this:
Dark Void’s unique combination of in-air and on-ground combat creates a thrilling new gameplay dynamic to the third-person shooter experience. Taking 3D action to a whole new level, Dark Void’s vertical combat system allows players to dangle from thousand foot drops as they take cover and drop enemies from above and below, bringing a whole new sense of vulnerability and thrill to the player. Defying gravity in vertical combat is only half the battle as, over time, Will is upgraded to a powerful rocket pack which allows for fierce in-air combat as gamers are able to fly through the void at unparallel speeds shooting down anything that gets in their path. Blasting away at massive bosses has never been this much fun as Dark Void™ offers a unique grip system made up of a variety of grip-based mini-games including skyjacking UFOs mid-flight.

Features

* Sci-Fi Action-Adventure combines aerial and on-foot combat for unparallel 3D third-person shooter experience
* Gravity-defying vertical combat system where moving up is the only way to bring your enemies down
* Unique grip system that allows the players to scale walls jumping from surface to surface or hijack UFO’s while in mid-air
* Explosive hover and rocket pack and special in-air moves allow players to fly with reckless abandon while performing hair-raising stunts
* The Void- a mind-bending parallel world where an evil alien race called, “The Watchers” are waiting…
* Mysterious thought-provoking storyline based on conspiracy theory and strange phenomenon
* Main character, Will, is a regular pilot turned unlikely superhero in a wild ride to save humanity

Wikipedia provides a bit more of the story here:
The game's story will center around a cargo pilot named Will who crashes in the Bermuda Triangle. From there, he is teleported to a parallel universe where he encounters other humans, called Survivors. Together, Will and the survivors must battle an alien race known as the Watchers to return to Earth. The Watchers came from afar, making humans do their bidding, whilst being treated as gods. Eventually people known as Adepts emerged and banished the Watchers to the realm in which our pilot is trapped.

4 gameplay videos have been released last week on monstervine.com. Each video showcases a different element that makes up the game. The quality of the vids is a bit lacking - you'll note some out-of-sync audio happening, but the game does look good. The jetpack flying looks realistic for the most part, and the world looks gorgeous. More than once while looking at the video, it really invoked the lush landscapes of Shadow of the Colossus for me. Hopefully the amount of area you can cover while flying will be unlimited, but I've a feeling the world will be "walled off" so you can't just fly out in one direction for a while to completely avoid your mission objectives.

This vid shows a bit of jetpack gameplay, and some of that Shadow of the Colossus-style action. And who doesn't love some SotC action?
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=9_4PNpDuBt4

A little dark, but shows the new "vertical cover system" off really well, along with standard cover, some of the different weapons, and melee kills of which there seems to be a few depending on your current weapon.
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=SzatSxtFy88

All about jetpack flight, and alien aircraft skyjacking! (0:35 - DO A BARREL ROLL!)
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=ueSv3SxgoPE

Available multiplatform on the Xbox 360, Playstaion 3 and PC. Date TBA.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
Steam: TheArcadeBear

El Fantastico on

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The most important part is that it's being made by most of the xbox Crimson Skies team. And lots of previews mention that the flying is VERY similar to Crimson Skies.

Renzo on
  • Options
    VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    That looks really fun.

Uhm. I want local coop.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Looks pretty promising! The vertical cover and skyjackings looked especially cool.

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I dub this game 'Grand Theft Gears of the Colossus.'
    I really like the animation, particularly one when he does the quick turn around in the air. It all looks very smooth and natural. Or at least, as natural as one would imagine someone in a jetpack would turn should they be flying after a giant robotic iguana would be.

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Options
    Charlie_Foxtrot2Charlie_Foxtrot2 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    This will be a sleeper hit. I can just see it now. I don't see Capcom spending much on advertising this.

Charlie_Foxtrot2 on
    logo%20graf%201.jpg
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    They were talking about this on the Giant Bombcast, and I have to say it looks and sounds very impressive.

The little out-of-control-flailing animation while you're jetpacking is such a neat little touch.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Ooh, I hadn't seen that SotC-esque video before. Very nice.

The animations in general are excellent, the only thing that seems a little off are the guns, specifically the sound, but that'll probably change.

Definitely looking forward to this.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    This will be a sleeper hit. I can just see it now. I don't see Capcom spending much on advertising this.

We said the same about Lost Planet, and it did pretty damn well. I certainly don't see it selling Gears # of copies, but I think it'll do pretty well.

Also, as Renzo made people aware, you should just delete the OP and say "THEY MADE CRIMSON SKIES" or some such.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I wish people would stop using SotC as a reference for every game that doesn't start space marines.

Turkey on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I wish people would read the thread before making stupid comments, because clearly in that video, that is some SOTC-inspired gameplay.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Change the thread to Crimson Skies in Space.

Because that is what it is.

And that's awesome.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Looks very promising. I'll be keeping an eye on this.

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    ShadeShade Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I like what I see.

Shade on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Turkey wrote: »
    I wish people would stop using SotC as a reference for every game that doesn't start space marines.

What does Shadow of the Colossus have to do with space marines? You lost me there.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I wish people would read the thread before making stupid comments, because clearly in that video, that is some SOTC-inspired gameplay.

How so? I mean, yes, conceptually, it's similar, but weak points aren't exactly native to SotC, and the actual kill is just a series of QTEs. Doesn't really look that exciting.

But my main problem is that the visual design is extremely lacking, which is a turn-off. Flying looks like fun, though. I might pick it up if it reviews well.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm sad that there won't be any multiplayer.

Guess I'll have to keep playing Warhawk for my Crimson Skies fix.

EDIT: The game looks really cool though. Makes me want to go watch the Rocketeer.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Cherrn wrote: »

How so? I mean, yes, conceptually, it's similar, but weak points aren't exactly native to SotC, and the actual kill is just a series of QTEs.

Weak points aren't, but finding and getting to weak points on massive enemies is.

And the kill in SOTC was just one QTE. Press Square, wait for the indicator to fill up, press Square again.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Want.

This is 2nd after prototype on my list of "Games that I hope are as awesome as they look like they will be".

LewieP on
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    the jetpack stuff looks really neat. the cover system and gunplay... less neat. still though, one to keep an eye on i think.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited February 2009
    Now this looks very interesting. A bit too heavy on the QTEs though. And the whole fight against the mecha-iguana seems a bit shoddy at places, but I guess it's still in heavy development.

Echo on
  • Options
    Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Yeah, I hope they are actually a bit more shameless about the SOTC stuff. Because I mean, the cool part in SOTC wasn't really killing them, it was the rigorous climb up. Making that movement into QTEs means it's going to feel a lot less of an accomplishment. Balancing your grip and developing the skills to traverse the enemies were key elements in how enjoyable the game was.

Still it looks promising. Hope that's not the only enemy though. I also liked the animation, such as the alien craft's 'quick reversal' gyroscope stuff.

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    And the kill in SOTC was just one QTE. Press Square, wait for the indicator to fill up, press Square again.

What? The climb itself was part of the kill. This is functionally the same thing as downing a cyclops in God of War. I would hesitate to call the SotC inspirations anything but superficial.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    dolemelangedolemelange Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Man this looks promising. I think the jetpack gameplay could be pretty interesting but could potentially be vomit inducing. Like the Rocketeer on crack! :)

dolemelange on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Cherrn wrote: »

What? The climb itself was part of the kill. This is functionally the same thing as downing a cyclops in God of War. I would hesitate to call the SotC inspirations anything but superficial.

I suppose, but the climb itself was nothing challenging or anything. It was just holding down R1. If he starts to shake, keep holding it. It wasn't that big of a deal from a gameplay perspective, so I don't see how this is that much different.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    If you can't appreciate the tactile and brutally physical nature of the climb, and how successfully they portrayed it, and how satisfying it was, I'm not sure what I can say.

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Yes, they portrayed it well, as in it looked graphically cool because you were taking down fucking giants, and they shook you around and your little avatar was all holding on for dear life, etc.

That doesn't change the fact that it boiled down to holding down R1 and a direction till you got to a weak spot.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So this is basically the Rocketeer but with aliens instead of nazis?

Wait why would you bother slowly scaling a cliff when you have a jetpack?

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    edited February 2009

To prevent things like this, I guess:

20080813.jpg

Echo on
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Perhaps, if the SotC stuff in this game was a bit different somehow, so it doesn't just feel like it's tacked on? Why hang on for life when you're at risk of being shaken off when you can just fire up your jets and fly directly to the weakpoints? As someone said, why scale a cliff when you can fly?

I'd say it'd be interesting if aliens came pouring out of the mecha as you're disabling it, but then that just adds a bit of tedium to what could be a simple exercise. By having the jetpack on the character, part of the challenge is removed because where it was a lesson in timing and jumping, it's now a quick zip over.

El Fantastico on
    PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    edited February 2009
    Yes, they portrayed it well, as in it looked graphically cool because you were taking down fucking giants, and they shook you around and your little avatar was all holding on for dear life, etc.

That doesn't change the fact that it boiled down to holding down R1 and a direction till you got to a weak spot.

Nnnng that's not even true. More than a couple of times in SOTC one could/had to run over colossi without grabbing because otherwise you'd run out of grip.

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Echo on
  • Options
    WitchsightWitchsight Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I just imagined SotC with QTEs when you go to stab a colossus... and a part of my soul died a bit. Dear god, that would have been horrendous. What else can break immersion like flashing giant buttons onscreen of the controller youre holding?
    It seems like such a cop out. Sure, do it if you have no better ideas, but think of how amazing it could be if you put some effort into it.

The flying in this seems interesting, but thats all that grabs me so far. It reminds me of a suped up version of Shadows of the Empire when you get your dinky rocket pack. Even that thing was enough to keep me entertained for the rest of the game.

Witchsight on
    Witchsight.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I don't really like the fact that you're fighting robots.

Robots are lame.

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    You could think of them as Geth.

Then we could add yet another name to the thread title :P

Turkey on
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

On top of that, you aren't really slowly scaling a cliff. You're using ledges as cover in a firefight, while tactically gaining ground to reach an objective. Sure, just flying there would be well and good, but why leave yourself wide open to attack when you can hide behind good ol' terra firma?

Fawst on
  • Options
    Hotlead JunkieHotlead Junkie Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Fawst wrote: »

On top of that, you aren't really slowly scaling a cliff. You're using ledges as cover in a firefight, while tactically gaining ground to reach an objective. Sure, just flying there would be well and good, but why leave yourself wide open to attack when you can hide behind good ol' terra firma?

Yeah, I just assumed you could fly up there but get shot down quite easily. Makes sense to me.

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Flippy_D wrote: »

Robots are lame.

I'm actually pretty sure the robot suits are driven by slug creatures.

So there's that.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    DeMoN wrote: »
    Flippy_D wrote: »

Robots are lame.

I'm actually pretty sure the robot suits are driven by slug creatures.

So there's that.

Yeah, some producer-type person said that no matter what you think you've seen, there aren't any robots in the game.

Which makes sense. Why do you think the lead character can take the head of one of the "robots" and wear it like a helmet?

Renzo on
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    the slug creatures aren't that big though. you can see them in some gameplay movies. They are just small things that sometimes fall out of the "robots" when you kill them. They squelch around and stuff.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    GalagaGalaxianGalagaGalaxian Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Looks interesting.

I'd rather have more Crimson Skies tough. :P

GalagaGalaxian on
    Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.