As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dark Void: Demo available on PSN/XBL now. Game available January 19th!

• Options
    Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    So we're fighting Yeerks?

Still lame. Robots are not fun to kill.

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Yeah, robots are pretty lame.

But everything else looks pretty rad.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Since when did robots become lame? I think you guys are faggots. :P

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Being a robot/having a robot friend is cool, fighting robots, not as cool.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    DeMoN wrote: »

That's crazy. You're crazy. Robots are always cool.

Renzo on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Renzo wrote: »
    DeMoN wrote: »

That's crazy. You're crazy. Robots are always cool.

Always.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    GalagaGalaxianGalagaGalaxian Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    There is a patheon of coolness in which they make everything better.

Robots
    Monkies
    Zombies
    Ninjas
    Pirates

Robots are clearly on this list.

GalagaGalaxian on
    Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
  • Options
    ScottyScotty Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I for one think this looks terrific.:^:
    It's different enough that I won't feel like I've played it before, and I'm a sucker for rocketpacks, so for me it can't really lose. Playing it on my Big HDTV will be all the sweeter, after all, those are just small little vids we see there.:P

Scotty on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited May 2009
    There is a patheon of coolness in which they make everything better.

Robots
    Monkies
    Zombies
    Ninjas
    Pirates

Robots are clearly on this list.

Well, I am expecting a giant monkey robot somewhere.

Echo on
  • Options
    grrarggrrarg Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    /necrobump

Dark Void is scheduled for release in about 3 weeks on January 19, 2010. Did this fall off everyone's radar in the glut of holiday games pushed back to Q1? Capcom has released a bunch of trailers and developer walkthroughs recently. Here are a few of the better ones.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/preview-dark-void/58699 GT video preview

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/character-developer-dark-void/58634 Character dev diary
    http://www.gametrailers.com/video/teslas-work-dark-void/60171 Tesla's Work dev diary

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/cinematic-trailer-dark-void/59579 Cinematic trailer
    http://www.gametrailers.com/video/gameplay-trailer-dark-void/59611 The Void trailer
    http://www.gametrailers.com/video/enter-the-dark-void/59911 Enter the Void trailer

The vertical platforming and cover system looks cool, but I expected the flying to be better since this team is made up of a lot of the people that made Crimson Skies.

Edit: I fail at embedding videos and totp. :(

grrarg on
  • Options
    BearcatBearcat Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I don't know if this has been mentioned, but the Dark Void movie is in pre-production, I believe. They have pretty much locked in Brad Pitt as the main character. Pitt's production company (Plan B) is involved.

Bearcat on
  • Options
    LCDXXLCDXX A flask of wood and glass Terre Haute, INRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2009
    I'm reserving my anticipation for this until I hear more about the Crimson Skies factor of the gameplay.

I know these guys were most responsible for CS, but even they can't just throw around Crimson Skies-like gameplay as a bullet point without being very goddamn serious about it.

I love me some CS. The release on the old Xbox was the best damn Live game out there.

LCDXX on
    XBL: LCDXX | PSN: LCDXX | Steam: LCDXX
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Wow, its out in January, did not see that coming. Nice, though it'll likely get vershadowed by the other greats like mass effect 2 and what not.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    grrarggrrarg Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Yeah, I think releasing the week before Mass Effect 2 means it will be a rental or bargain bin title for a lot of people. It doesn't help that the videos showcase almost as much 3rd person shooting as flying. Guess we will have to wait for reviews to see if the flying lives up to their pedigree and if you can fly more than the jetpack, biplane, and small round UFO.

grrarg on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Oh yeah, completely forgot about this one.

Could be good, especially if the Shadow of the Colossus-style stuff works well. But I'll agree, this one may get crushed in the absolutely stupid avalanche of big releases this spring, especially since the commercials make it seem like Game With Space Marines #47,831.

Although weirdly enough I started seeing commercials for this on all the ESPN channels nearly a month before it's set to come out. Huh.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Wow. I was initially completely uninterested, but that looks like some nicely produced flying game there.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Another Nolan North-voiced videogame protagonist? Okay, I like the guy, but he's like the Unreal Engine 3 of voice actors.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Cherrn wrote: »
    Another Nolan North-voiced videogame protagonist? Okay, I like the guy, but he's like the Unreal Engine 3 of voice actors.

I'm still excited for Alpha Protocol, which is another Nolan North voiced guy I think.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I thought you were exaggerating, but geez, check out his Wiki page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nolan_North

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    I thought you were exaggerating, but geez, check out his Wiki page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nolan_North

Yeah but he's only the main guy in a few of those games.

I think Joystiq asked him about this phenomenon and he said that he's just lucky that the games he does explode into popularity as they do.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    desertdroogdesertdroog USARegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I guess the Xbox 360 Live Demo dropped today.

Anyone play it yet? Impressions?

I'm stuck at work, currently.

desertdroog on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Whoa what

Gonna download this while I work

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    PSN demo tomorrow

I'll be checking it out for sure

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I'm really excited about tomorrow's demo, cause...you know, new IP and something that is sort of new, so a demo would really help me decide whether to even care about it.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I guess the Demo dropped today.

Anyone play it yet? Impressions?

I'm stuck at work, currently.

It is horrible.

The game is just awful all-around. Awful flying controls, awful gunplay, awful cover mechanic, awful graphics, and awful QTEs. Generic Mass Effect "Geth"-ripoff enemies. It's just a mess.

How Capcom projected this to sell 1.3 million copies is beyond me, this is going to be a Bionic Commando-style flop for them. I'm predicting this be 20 dollars brand new by the end of February and even thats too high of a price based on the demo. There might be some fun sequences in there somewhere but I couldn't find any redeeming qualities in the 20 minutes I spent fumbling around with it.

Allforce on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    To be fair, they dropped that figure down to around 600K.

edit: And it sucking was exactly what I was afraid of. I'm waiting for the PSN demo to drop but from all the videos I saw, the flying seemed weak (which is odd, because of the fact that it's the Crimson Skies guys and that game was supposed to be good. But I just don't think dogfights work well if you're one guy), the vertical cover seemed useless...

I doubt the price will drop to that level though. Capcom seems to be banking somewhat on this title

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited January 2010
    To be fair, they dropped that figure down to around 600K.

Yeah they had to have realized what a turd they're pushing out here, it's really too bad cause it sounded and looked interesting.

Allforce on
  • Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Aww man, it sucks?

That's a shame, it looks like it could be great if the controls and everything line up.

Guess I'll have to try it myself on thursday, but damn that sucks if it's true : (

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Behemoth wrote: »
    Aww man, it sucks?

That's a shame, it looks like it could be great if the controls and everything line up.

Guess I'll have to try it myself on thursday, but damn that sucks if it's true : (

I'm only slightly saddened, because while I wanted the game to be awesome, now I have an extra 60 bucks to not spend.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    It's disappointing that you guys don't like it... Ars Technica seems to really be digging the demo so far. I don't have enough room on my 360 hard drive to try it (hurry up, transfer cable!), so I'll have to give it a shot tomorrow on PS3.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    To be fair I think I'm the only one to post impressions so far. It's just a turd of a game that shouldn't be a turd at all. I should be zipping around in my jetpack (give me a lock on for christ sake!) and be able to shoot things reliably. There was a better sense of speed in Bionic Commando with the grapple-arm than in here.

The aiming is dodgy at best and the guns don't pack any sort of power to them. Even the alien weapon I secured felt like garbage.

Attempting to board an alien ship while in the air leads to a QTE that takes minutes to complete as you have to hit left or right to rotate around the circular hull and avoid the gun firing at you from the center. All the while stopping at one of 4 points on the ship to hold B down to slowly pry off a piece of metal. All the while randomly the ship will flip over and you have to jam on either X or Y to stay on. Then when you do the ship's pilot pops out and it's ANOTHER QTE of mashing Left and Right on the Left Stick in order to take control.

Allforce on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Gameplay that requires you to mash the stick left/right or in circles can go to hell.

Renzo on
  • Options
    brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Unfortunately I agree with Allforce, I tried the demo, it's kind of a generic mess. It seems polished enough, but there's literally nothing here that isn't done much better somewhere else.

I'm going to cancel my pre-order.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • Options
    desertdroogdesertdroog USARegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Dang, this doesn't bode well. I guess I have to try the demo for myself and see if it works for me or not. Thanks all, for the input.

desertdroog on
  • Options
    brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Dang, this doesn't bode well. I guess I have to try the demo for myself and see if it works for me or not. Thanks all, for the input.

I felt like it took way too many bullets to kill a guy, and I had a really hard time hitting some of them. The flying controls are awkward...accelerate and break are on X and Y and you have to hold the right stick in and then move both sticks to do a barrel roll. It's ridiculous.

I got used to the controls by the end of the demo, but I didn't really like them. And another point I agree with Allforce on is that the QTE to hijack a ship takes waaaay too long. It's silly.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • Options
    dachishdachish Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Bummer, I was looking forward to this one.

dachish on
    My heart it ceases, my breath undrawn.
    Eyes forever focused, on the sanguine, metal dawn.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Played the demo. It's not bad, but it's nothing special. The controls all feel fine enough to me, but the combat lacks impact. The guns feel weak, and maneuvering during combat isn't as good as Uncharted or Gears, though I admit that's a very high bar.

The hijacking mini-game is probably overly complex. It takes a good 30 seconds to hijack a flying saucer. The enemies have always looked like generic robots.

Overall, I wouldn't mind buying it when it hits $20, but I will definitely pass on it at full price.

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Well this means the movie will certainly be amazing.
    Right? RIGHT

Bearcat on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Bearcat wrote: »
    Right? RIGHT

It's supposed to have Brad Pitt, right? Or is he just backing it?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited January 2010
    Bearcat wrote: »
    Right? RIGHT

It's supposed to have Brad Pitt, right? Or is he just backing it?

He's supposed to be the protagonist, and his production company is developing it.

Bearcat on