Options

Let's Play Daggerfall! Part 9: In Which We Steal (And Fight Walls) [NSF56K, NSFW]

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I've never played Daggerfall, so this is my first time seeing how huge the area is that the game takes place in. Looks like the country is actually the size of, y'know, a country That one chunk of the whole map looks like it's a significant portion of the whole of the Oblivion map.

So glad modern devs prioritize shiny graphics over everything else regardless of genre.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    hdentonhdenton Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The only reason Daggerfall seems so big is that the terrain is randomly generated not hand placed. The country side is nothing but repeating things over and over again.

hdenton on
    I'm in your bags taking your waters!
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Okay. The bottom image there? Look at where the pointer is hovering over. That is me zooming in on our location.

Now let me show you where we can go...

illiacbay.jpg

I can go to ANY of those provinces. Daggerfall is one of the smaller provinces compared with the Dragontail or Wrothgarian Mountain areas. Oh, and those are full of towns and dungeons, too. I'd say Oblivion takes place in about half the area of the zoomed in image, where I have the pointer over Privateer's Hold, if that. This game is big.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I've never played Daggerfall, so this is my first time seeing how huge the area is that the game takes place in. Looks like the country is actually the size of, y'know, a country That one chunk of the whole map looks like it's a significant portion of the whole of the Oblivion map.

So glad modern devs prioritize shiny graphics over everything else regardless of genre.

Almost every single one of those places is extremely boring with no reason to go there ever.

The holidays were a nice touch.

Couscous on
  • Options
    hdentonhdenton Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Well yes the game is big but everything but major dungeons and major cities are either randomly generated or copies of each other.

hdenton on
    I'm in your bags taking your waters!
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Go to the Orsinium area and explore every single town and dungeon there. It should take all of five seconds.
    Edit: Go to some flyover province and take out a huge loan.

Couscous on
  • Options
    OldGrayBeardOldGrayBeard Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    MechMantis wrote: »
    Part 4: Privateer's Hold Round FINAL

Up the stairs, turn to the righ--- oh hey, what's this? Is there something in that room over there? I hear some grunting...
    OH SHIT AN ORC
    OH SHIT YES I KILLED AN ORC WITHOUT A SCRATCH ON ME. HELL YEAH.

Nothing like the good ol' critical strike talent kicking in! :lol:
    Although why does everyone have armor that fits just right?

I think it's some sort of Daedric magic tied to the "Backpack" that magically transforms the armor. Or maybe that poor Orc was hoping to score lots of points w/ hot elven warrior babes at the inns. :winky:
    ((OOC: Well folks, we're out of the dungeon. What do I do now? I'll be stopping at Gothway Garden, the town directly south of here to sell off loot, then where? What should Zaba do now?))

I'd suggest looting armor shops and smithys until you get a compete suit of Orcish armor, except YOU CAN'T WEAR PLATE ARMOR ... dumbarse!! :mrgreen:
    Well, at least try to loot a couple of shops in Gothway Garden. That'll get the Thieves' Guild's attention.

OldGrayBeard on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Couscous wrote: »
    Go to the Orsinium area and explore every single town and dungeon there. It should take all of five seconds.
    Edit: Go to some flyover province and take out a huge loan.

Five seconds? No, it'll take quite a bit longer.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Since this thread has been started, I have decided to start a game as well. Somehow, I missed that frigging orc.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'd suggest looting armor shops and smithys until you get a compete suit of Orcish armor, except YOU CAN'T WEAR PLATE ARMOR ... dumbarse!! :mrgreen:

Daggerfall didn't have any variant light armors, right?

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • Options
    JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    delroland wrote: »

Daggerfall didn't have any variant light armors, right?

He should probably just take off his pants in protest.

JJ on
  • Options
    ArgusArgus Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So, is there any method of downloading this from online somewhere for free like Bethesda did with the first TES game on their site?

Argus on
    pasigsizedu5.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Argus wrote: »
    So, is there any method of downloading this from online somewhere for free like Bethesda did with the first TES game on their site?
    Bethesda has never released Daggerfall for free. To get it legally, you will have find someone with a used copy they are willing to sell. If you want a complete package, it can get pricey.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I heard they were thinking about it when Morrowind was released, but apparently they don't own all the publishing rights to it. I think they made Arena free awhile ago, but that isn't very good.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Looking at the catalog pamphlet included with the copy I have, the game was $79.99 when it first came out. Yeesh. I do remember some computer games being that pricey back then. I do wish Bethesda still had the same artistic flair with the box art like they did with the Daggerfall box. It is quite shiny. The Battlespire and Redguard boxes are pretty neat as well.

It is kind of odd nowadays how computer games are lower priced, but I think, even back then, their prices would drop quickly after release.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Everything's default, although I did run DFGamma a few times. You can get that program from Here. If you've got a dark monitor, it'll brighten up everything.

I've also used Irfanview to double the size of the shots from 320x200 to 640x400.

wow seriously default? is that cpu settings too? because if it is you might be running into a few game stopping bugs along the way.. also it must be kinda slow fps wise.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Hey wait...I remember now. There's an inn, filled with Daedric weaponry. I always used to go there after exiting the first dungeon. Got me some spanky Deadric gear and extras to sell.

But that's very cheap :P

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    WheezerWheezer Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Where does the main plotline go from here? Seems to me the game is staggeringly huge so you should follow the plot and take any interesting detours on the way. If we pick a random direction or explore a province (look at all those dots!) we'll never get ahead.

That said, if the main plot doesn't take you there, I'd like to see the island of Cybiades... It seems like the most manageable in size.

Wheezer on
    megamansig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Lanrutcon wrote: »
    Hey wait...I remember now. There's an inn, filled with Daedric weaponry. I always used to go there after exiting the first dungeon. Got me some spanky Deadric gear and extras to sell.

tell me the name of this inn. :lol:

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Lanrutcon wrote: »

tell me the name of this inn. :lol:

Ok. Here's a list of cheapo places to get free Daedric gear.

Also: HOT COFFEE! (no spoilers involved, feel free to check)
    http://www.svatopluk.com/daggerfall/secrets/dress.stm

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    ooh.. so its a save game trick thing? dont think ill bother then, if i didnt have to do a trick to get them i wouldnt of minded but it somehow seems like a cheat/exploit and thats not cool with my dark elf.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    ooh.. so its a save game trick thing? dont think ill bother then, if i didnt have to do a trick to get them i wouldnt of minded but it somehow seems like a cheat/exploit and thats not cool with my dark elf.

Like I said: it's a cheap thing. Getting Daedric the normal way requires a certain character level, I believe, since material types in drops are tied to your level.

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
  • Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Has anyone tried running this through dosbox on os x? If such a thing is possible I might have to track down a copy.

I Zimbra on
  • Options
    DartboyDartboy Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I Zimbra wrote: »
    Has anyone tried running this through dosbox on os x? If such a thing is possible I might have to track down a copy.

Dunno. I'm running it just fine using Dosbox on Vista, so I imagine if there's a working Dosbox on OSX then it'd work too. Though I couldn't get Andyfall working with mine either, so there's that.

Also, all this trouble with the plate armor is exactly why I always do custom classes, even if I end up with something functionally identical to a pre-made one. Cuz yeah, I don't remember if there are any other material types for the light armors. I think it did just go leather, chain, then iron/steel/silver/etc.

Dartboy on
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    For playing this game at least 6 times over the years, I have never gone further in the main quest than
    going to meet the noble lady after getting her letter.

Since i'm already cursing this thread for making me get dosbox up and running to play this again, I might as well do something new. God I love this game.

Aistan on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Looking at the catalog pamphlet included with the copy I have, the game was $79.99 when it first came out. Yeesh. I do remember some computer games being that pricey back then. I do wish Bethesda still had the same artistic flair with the box art like they did with the Daggerfall box. It is quite shiny. The Battlespire and Redguard boxes are pretty neat as well.

It is kind of odd nowadays how computer games are lower priced, but I think, even back then, their prices would drop quickly after release.

It was $49.99 at retail. Back in those days (heh) game companies sold their games direct to consumers at a much higher price to encourage them to go to the stores. It was kinda weird.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    It probably is a skewed price. Phantasmagoria was around $70 at Best Buy back in '95. I do remember that. You rarely see price gouging on PC games anymore. Considering Duke3D came out around that time, the game was reasonably current in the 2D/3D graphics department. I do remember PC Gamer complaining about the bugs. That shifted away my interest in it. I might even still have the magazine laying around.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Krathoon wrote: »
    It probably is a skewed price. Phantasmagoria was around $70 at Best Buy back in '95. I do remember that. You rarely see price gouging on PC games anymore. Considering Duke3D came out around that time, the game was reasonably current in the 2D/3D graphics department. I do remember PC Gamer complaining about the bugs. That shifted away my interest in it. I might even still have the magazine laying around.

Phantasmagoria was that price at retail because of the whole 7 CDs thing...

And yea, PC Gamer complained about the bugs. They still gave it an Editor's Choice award tho. :)

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    zhen_roguezhen_rogue Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    This will be interesting to see how the forum votes regarding the 'end' of the storyline quest.
    I certainly hope we make it that far.

zhen_rogue on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm gonna install this and pray the Dos gods are on my side this time.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    This thread... It is is slipping..... into the jaws of OBLIVION!

Krathoon on
  • Options
    SanguineAngelSanguineAngel Lord Centre of the UniverseRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    AHA! I have installed it and got it to work perfectly! Sound, mouse, graphics, patch. HURAY!

Unfortunately, due to time constraints and the sheer quantity of simultaneous gaming i have going on... I am not very far in. But mwahahaha!

It makes me feel good.

We need an update by the way!

SanguineAngel on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I dled this 6 years ago on a friends desktop and got overwhelmed at the controls.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Update will be coming, stuff came up. I'll see if I can get it done tonight.

EDIT: Update is being written.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    ((Double post, yes. It's an update, so it's warranted.))

fall_108.png

ZabaPort.png Well, might as well head to this "Gothway Garden" place. Might be a good place to sell my loot.

fall_109.png
    fall_110.png

ZabaPort.png Here I am! To the shops, first! But where ARE they?

fall_111.png

ZabaPort.png I'm here... and I feel like there are three general stores in a cluster to the southwest...

fall_112.png

ZabaPort.png Cluster sighted. Time to sell my loot.

fall_113.png
    fall_114.png

ZabaPort.png Damn this place is dirty, and everything here is rusted and pitted. The stuff in my pack looks like it was just smithed compared to this crap. Which means that these guys will give me the most money for my entirely legitimately gotten weapons! Unfortunately, general stores don't buy armor, and this place doesn't have a weapon smith or armorer, so I'll have to wait until I get to a bigger city to pawn any non-weapon or book loot off.

fall_115.png
    fall_116.png

ZabaPort.png Less talky more money.

fall_117.png

ZabaPort.png Sweet! Six thousand gold for selling this crap to him? Hell yes!

fall_118.png

ZabaPort.png Bullshit. Fine, three thousand it is. Fucking liar.

fall_119.png

ZabaPort.png Might as well buy a horse for faster travel and a cart to hold more loot while I'm here. The horse may be missing two legs, and the cart may not have a bottom, but they're cheap.

...how the hell did he fit a horse and cart onto a shelf, anyway?

fall_120.png

ZabaPort.png Eugh. Cheap is a relative term of course. A third of my recently-gotten cash, gone.

fall_121.png
    fall_122.png

ZabaPort.png Across the street is a better store. Let's see what they have to offer.

fall_123.png

ZabaPort.png Hey there.

fall_124.png
    fall_125.png

ZabaPort.png I may not be someone who uses sabers but DAMN this thing looks shiny. I don't think I have the money for this dwarven saber so I'll just slip it in my pocket here......

fall_126.png

ZabaPort.png Whaddaya mean I just tried to ste--

GuardPort.pngHALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HA-

ZabaPort.png Let me explain, please!! I'm not trying to steal this sa--

GuardPort.pngHALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HAL-

ZabaPort.png I AM GOING TO STAB YOU NOW.

fall_127.png

*KATHWACK*

ZabaPort.png Ow shit my everything. Did I just end up in another sea wreck or so---

Wait a second this isn't a cave.

fall_128.png

JudgePort.png You tried to steal a dwarven saber. The punishment for this crime is banishment, on penalty of death if you return. We value our relics VERY highly here, even if we will sell them out for a few hundred gold pieces. How do you plead?

ZabaPort.png NOT GUILTY.

shitshithowdoIgetoutofthis

fall_129.png

JudgePort.png What happened, then?

ZabaPort.png I merely bumped the saber, and it just happened to tip into my pocket. I'm innocent I swear!

fuckI'mscrewedshitassdamn

fall_130.png

JudgePort.png That is a logical explanation. You are free to go.

ZabaPort.png fuckinghellshitdamnsh-- wait what? I can go? Hell yes!

fall_131.png

ZabaPort.png Goddamnit they stole my kidneys and my bowels and I think a lung too oh arkay I am at your doorstep again

fall_132.png

ZabaPort.png out of my way NEED BED NOW

fall_133.png
    fall_134.png
    fall_135.png
    fall_136.png

BELOW THIS LINE IS OOC

I'll make this choice easy for you. What guild should I go for?

!Fighters Guild?
    !Mages Guild?
    !Thieves Guild?

I won't go for the Dark Brotherhood unless they contact me. Which shouldn't be happening. Thieves Guild should be contacting me momentarily...

MechMantis on
  • Options
    JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Thieves guild seems like the obvious choice. Thieving dark elf bitch.

JJ on
  • Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    If it's only one guild, Thieves.

If you can choose another, Mages.

Kristmas Kthulhu on
  • Options
    delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Bah, you never rob stores during the DAY! You pick the door at night, then take everything off their shelves and dump it in your cart, only to sell it back the next day!

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • Options
    DartboyDartboy Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Thieves Guild. Seriously. Someone needs to teach you the mystical trick of saving/loading while in a sho- I mean, careful evasion and lockpicking.

Dartboy on
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT

*giggles*

That's awful. Inept Thieves will inheret the earth!

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg