As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Direct me towards a new PC game!

2»

• Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    If you want a real classic, i recommend Extreme Paintbrawl.

American McGee presents: Bad Day L.A, is another gem, or even Anubis II.
    Ha....haha ha ha ha ha ha....

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Burgu wrote: »
    Ooo nice sands of time! Thats definitely something I missed

I just picked up the entire Sands of Time trilogy for the pc for 20 bucks in a single box, a damn good deal if you have a gamepad or are willing to play platformers on the pc.

And since you have a Sam and Max av, I'm assuming you've played those already, or I'd recommend them.

If you haven't played Max Payne 1&2, they are classics, and my favorite shooters ever.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009

I just picked up the entire Sands of Time trilogy for the pc for 20 bucks in a single box, a damn good deal if you have a gamepad or are willing to play platformers on the pc.

And since you have a Sam and Max av, I'm assuming you've played those already, or I'd recommend them.

If you haven't played Max Payne 1&2, they are classics, and my favorite shooters ever.

The pop games actually play fine with mouse and keyboard.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

The pop games actually play fine with mouse and keyboard.

See, I know that, and you know that, but there are people for whom that's a big issue, so I figured I'd mention it.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    LagnarLagnar Halifax, Nova scotiaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Id also recomend Left 4 dead and Team fortress 2. Easily two of the best purchaes I have ever made.

You already own the witcher, and by your avatar I assume you have played the Sam and Max series. (Im playing that off and on right now).NWN 2 is good if you like that kind of stuff, the witcher uses the same engine so it should look very familar. Id recomend at least picking up the first expansion if you do plan on buying it, Mask of the betrayer. I havent played the other expansions yet, so I dont know how good or bad they are.

Eh, what else. Oblivion and morrowind can be some fun. (Morrwind was made what 2002 or something right? So you can proably get a gold edition or whatever for cheap) And they both have a load of mods you can get.

Mount and blade can be alot of fun at times, plus like morrowind and oblivion there are a load of mods for it. Each one can range from tweaking a couple things to putting you into the Starwars universe. (That is literally one of the mods, im playing it a little bit here and there).

COD 4 I have on the PS3 (havent been able to play it for a while now though) and I had fun with it. Its on PC aswell and id imagine its pretty good.

The half life series, espically Episode 2, god I love that game.

Beyond good and evil was fun, its an adventure game though.

And if you can pick it up for under 20$ id recomend GUN. I played it and thought it was a good game, a little tedious at some points but the horse back battles can be incredibly fun. Going through a canyon chasing a guy on horse, shooting him and having him shoot back at you while avoiding other guys and not hitting anything is all kinds of awsome. Ive actually been considering doing a Lets play of it, as I dont think one has been done. Ill have to check, and then get the right soft ware in order to record/edit videos.

From what I can tell Preformance isint an issue, I mean if you can run fallout 3 or dead space im sure you can run all the games ive listed.

EDIT: And if you want to get a stradegy game (you said you wanted to get a shooter/rpg, platformers and adventure games aswell, so I doubt you will want to get a stradegey game). I would recomend civ 4. I dont own any of the expansions but I love playing it. From what ive heard the expansions are great. There are alot of other great stradegy games out there though, Euopea Universals or whatever is suppose to be pretty good from what ive been told.

Lagnar on
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Isn't Sands of Time available free on PC from the publisher for a certain amount of time? That may still be available.

Kelor on
  • Options
    Death Cab For AlbieDeath Cab For Albie Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Not new, but I recently bought Neverwinter Nights 2 and all of the expansions and I gotta say, it's awesome.

Death Cab For Albie on
    ...we made it cool to wear medallions and say hotep...
  • Options
    Pajama_ManPajama_Man Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Boy meets girl...or what ever meets what.

I highly recommend you try the demo first and see if it's up your alley or not, and if it is, it can be had for a measly 30 bones MSRP.

Pajama_Man on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Shens wrote: »
    Khavall wrote: »
    Please remember that having a Xbox 360 controller is about the only way to play The Last Remnant on PC. Otherwise it will take awhile to memorize the vast amount of keybinds in the keyboard config.

This is true for enough 360-PC ports that I almost feel it doesn't need to be said anymore

You are right for the most part. Mass Effect was a great port though. The control scheme was revisted to work flawlessly with the PC. It seems ports can either be fluid or pretty damn jarring. I would say that TLR falls on the far end of pretty damn jarring.

I will say that in the PC version of Mass Effect I had a bit of trouble 1) navigating the conversation wheel arrow with the mouse and 2) piloting the Mako.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    ShensShens Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Khavall wrote: »
    Please remember that having a Xbox 360 controller is about the only way to play The Last Remnant on PC. Otherwise it will take awhile to memorize the vast amount of keybinds in the keyboard config.

This is true for enough 360-PC ports that I almost feel it doesn't need to be said anymore

You are right for the most part. Mass Effect was a great port though. The control scheme was revisted to work flawlessly with the PC. It seems ports can either be fluid or pretty damn jarring. I would say that TLR falls on the far end of pretty damn jarring.

I will say that in the PC version of Mass Effect I had a bit of trouble 1) navigating the conversation wheel arrow with the mouse and 2) piloting the Mako.

For number 2, I heard the XBOX people had it even worse. I didn't find the controls too bad at all for the Mako. It made any mission or area where you used it, way too easy.

Shens on
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Mechcommander 2 if its available

RoyceSraphim on