As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Street Fighter IV! I want to be the very best, like noone ever was!

• Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I wish the win percentage thing in Player Data was able to differentiate between ranked online two-player, unranked online two-player, offline two-player, and CPU matches. It says my worst win percentage is against Seth, despite having seen him all of once in online play. On the other hand, I still retain a perfect 100.00% against Fei-Long.

SabreMau on
  • Options
    SnareSnare Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I had a lot of fun with El Fuerte last night, the only thing I couldn't easily pick up were high damaging combos but I've little experience with him in the long run :)

Snare on
  • Options
    rfaliasrfalias Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Geez I'm off for a few days and there is already a new thread...
    You guys....
    Are post whores!

rfalias on
  • Options
    SisterRaySisterRay Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    MrSupafly: Thanks for the games. Don't know why it was so laggy though-I look forward to getting schooled again with a better connection.

I'm feeling like I've turned a corner with Cammy. My record is still abysmal, but I feel like I'm legitimately "in" 90% of the matches. I'm even winning a few, so yea.

SisterRay on
    360: SEN0R MachoSolo
    PSN: PalaceBrother
  • Options
    MasumeMasume Creator Caprica, FloridaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    solsovly wrote: »
    Masume wrote: »
    Goddamn Sol, playing you is like an exercise in annoyance. Jab x 15 into throw, jump cross up, rinse repeat arghhhh!!

Anyways, good matches though, I have to work on finding out a way around mass jab/throw strat, I mean, I thought I jabbed like hell. You had a good way around the stomps though after a few matches so I had to work those into combos, but halfway through I was just getting annoyed. I need to work on dashing out of those cross up traps. The grabs just tick me off, their priority is sometimes retarded, but the chain off the blocked jabs into throw is almost abusive.

I really wish they left the throws like the old SF, where they couldn't freakin grab you unless you were standing (Minus certain special throws). The throws from blocked crouch with their priority is such a pain.

Looking forward to more.

If you think throws are bad in SF4, you do not want to play the old Street Fighters like HDR. You can grab anyone standing or crouching and they do much more damage. Tick throwing is also much much easier in the old games.

You can't really chain jab into throw without walking up to throw. Generally more than 2 jabs put you out of range of any throws. That gives you plenty of opportunity to poke, reversal or jump.

Sorry you had such a bad time playing.

Haha no man, I had a great time playing. It just gets my fighting spirit going. You should have seen me get ticked at red for constantly using FA's on me early on when I couldn't handle them. Now I need to play you to get past that strat of yours. :P

As for the old SF's, I've played them all. I recall quite well not being able to grab anyone crouch blocking, did they change it for HDR?

edit: Also, I couldn't throw out a jab without getting hit by your rapid fire jabbing at all. I also recall several deep jump ins that went right from a few jabs into a throw. Also, blocked J kicks where you threw me before you even landed or I could retaliate. Throw priority is really wonky.

Masume on
    3DS Code - 5370-0463-9307
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
  • Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Hey gang, long-time listener, first-time werewolf.

Is Hard Triall #4 for Rose some kinda joke?? The timing needed for the dash cancel - heavy kick - EX Soul Spark is cruel and ugly. This is the Hitler of Hard Trials.

I know this is a few pages late and may already have been resolved - Don't cancel out of the FA. Charge the FA to level 2 to crumple your opponent, then dash cancel forward, wait a second then finish the comobo.

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So last time I tried to play this game, I was getting nothing but lag. This is kind of weird, as previously lag was the exception, not the rule.

What are some things I can do to improve latency? Will switching from wireless to wired help? God I hope not. My router and my 360 are nowhere near eachother.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    sPider817sPider817 Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2009
    Damn, I can't get the restrictor plate off my stick to fix the washer :( Wish this dude would hit me up about the sanwa stick.

sPider817 on
    Battlenet: s314der#1279 XBL: s314der YouTube
    Twitch Wed-Sun, 2-5pm CST
  • Options
    Unknown-DestinyUnknown-Destiny Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Anyone up for playing against my Gen or Sakura? I could use the practice as well. I sparred with Masume a few times against his Bison. His shit is on lock. Good games.

XBL name is Unknown-Destiny

Unknown-Destiny on
    Unknown+Destiny.png
  • Options
    MasumeMasume Creator Caprica, FloridaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Anyone up for playing against my Gen or Sakura? I could use the practice as well. I sparred with Masume a few times against his Bison. His shit is on lock. Good games.

XBL name is Unknown-Destiny

I can be on for a bit if your up for more. Thanks, I still need way more practice before the tourney though. Aggressive players like Sol still give me a hell of a lot of trouble lol

Masume on
    3DS Code - 5370-0463-9307
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
  • Options
    thepassengerthepassenger Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    RockinX wrote: »
    So, how does the PS3 Fighting Stick fare compared to the SFIV FightStick? It's seriously way cheaper and I don't see a real difference other than how it looks (and I like not having characters on the stick).

Is the Hori one a good stick for someone whose only real experience with a stick has been the SNES one that was designed for SFII? I have no problem performing special moves on my SNES stick (which I can use for my GCN/Wii games with an adapter I bought).

I don't have a PS3 yet, but I plan to buy it eventually. I even bought the Collectors Edition SFIV.

Let me tell you that the back of the Ties that Bind Bluray looks like a bootleg VHS/DVD back cover. Same with SFIV's back cover. And I'm guessing the Soundtrack disc is inside the BluRay disc?
    Yes, the soundtrack disc is inside the BluRay case. Unfortunately all it has are the character themes on it (which is super awesome), but no Menu Screen music (indestructable, doodily doo).

As for the PS3 Fighting Stick 3, I have one of those. I am not huge into fighting games, and the $30 I spent on it seemed like a fair price to not have to deal with a pad. It's supposed to be moderately difficult to mod (requiring dremeling of bits and desoldering) to replace things like the buttons and the gate, but the stock stuff is definitely acceptable. Only complaint I have is that the base is a little small and my left hand doesn't really rest on it well while using the stick.

thepassenger on
    PSN: ohvermie <- ADD ME FOR STREET FIGHTING ACTION!
  • Options
    RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So, how does the PS3 Fighting Stick fare compared to the SFIV FightStick? It's seriously way cheaper and I don't see a real difference other than how it looks (and I like not having characters on the stick).

Is the Hori one a good stick for someone whose only real experience with a stick has been the SNES one that was designed for SFII? I have no problem performing special moves on my SNES stick (which I can use for my GCN/Wii games with an adapter I bought).

I don't have a PS3 yet, but I plan to buy it eventually. I even bought the Collectors Edition SFIV.

Let me tell you that the back of the Ties that Bind Bluray looks like a bootleg VHS/DVD back cover. Same with SFIV's back cover. And I'm guessing the Soundtrack disc is inside the BluRay disc?

RockinX on
  • Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I totally got scolded by MNC.

:(

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    GF-BoceifusGF-Boceifus Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Arde wrote: »
    redfield85 wrote: »
    Oh man. I am so in the mood to make a Guile flowchart. DIBS!

Hang back and block, Sonic Boom, hang back and block, Sonic Boom, hang back and roundhouse kick, hang back and FLASH KICK!

I hate Guile players.

I love Guile players - they don't have an answer to Fuerte's shenanigans. :lol:

The 2600 BP Fuerte that I beat the other night with a perfect and a landslide in the second round would disagree with you. Guile has plenty of answers for Fuerte, they just don't involve hanging back and throwing sonic booms.

Though the guy that I beat could've just picked Fuerte because he thought Guile would've been too easy of a match for his real main I guess. He tried to play wake up games with me and that splash, I would backdash out of the way. If he came running and jumping at me while I was standing I would just jump back and roundhouse. It was a slaughter.

GF-Boceifus on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL / GFWL: Boceifus
  • Options
    MarvellousMMarvellousM United StatesRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I own a Hori DOA4 Stick and my friend has a Madcatz SE and I got to play with both. I'm no expert, but I liked my Hori a lot better. I liked the tighter more clicky stick in my Hori (which might be more because its what I've become used to) and I greatly preferred the Hori buttons over the Madcatz ones that felt kinda smushy. The Hori buttons aren't great by any means but I feel like I get more of a tactile response with them. Of course the Madcatz is far easier to mod. I'd say the Hori is a more frugal choice though.

MarvellousM on
  • Options
    G RolG Rol Dorsia? Nobody goes there anymore... Nell'sRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Arde wrote: »
    redfield85 wrote: »
    Oh man. I am so in the mood to make a Guile flowchart. DIBS!

Hang back and block, Sonic Boom, hang back and block, Sonic Boom, hang back and roundhouse kick, hang back and FLASH KICK!

I hate Guile players.

I love Guile players - they don't have an answer to Fuerte's shenanigans. :lol:

The 2600 BP Fuerte that I beat the other night with a perfect and a landslide in the second round would disagree with you. Guile has plenty of answers for Fuerte, they just don't involve hanging back and throwing sonic booms.

Though the guy that I beat could've just picked Fuerte because he thought Guile would've been too easy of a match for his real main I guess. He tried to play wake up games with me and that splash, I would backdash out of the way. If he came running and jumping at me while I was standing I would just jump back and roundhouse. It was a slaughter.

I used to strictly play as Guile in the SNES days. I really need to relearn him, as I can seemingly never beat a competent Guile online. Alot of that's my fault for falling for his double roundhouse everytime.

G Rol on

G%20Rol.jpg
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    i never remember to use a focus attack on guile's first c.HK attack. or his second.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I own a Hori DOA4 Stick and my friend has a Madcatz SE and I got to play with both. I'm no expert, but I liked my Hori a lot better. I liked the tighter more clicky stick in my Hori (which might be more because its what I've become used to) and I greatly preferred the Hori buttons over the Madcatz ones that felt kinda smushy. The Hori buttons aren't great by any means but I feel like I get more of a tactile response with them. Of course the Madcatz is far easier to mod. I'd say the Hori is a more frugal choice though.

MadCatz was pretty much my only option. It's my first stick for the 360. I had a shitty Pelican universal that I used for my PS2, but I only logged maybe 2 hours on it. I don't like the square gate on the MC, but it definitely beats using the d-pad. I just realized how retarded it is to worry about using the stick and screwing it up with the washer problem. If I play and break it, at least I got more SFIV in. If I don't play until I mod it, I don't get to play. I'll be on if anyone wants to smack me around a bit.

sPider817 on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    G Rol wrote: »

I used to strictly play as Guile in the SNES days. I really need to relearn him, as I can seemingly never beat a competent Guile online. Alot of that's my fault for falling for his double roundhouse everytime.

If you can force Guile to come after you, you can easily get a win against most players. It's really hard for him to come at you with any sort of offense. If you let him hang back and throw sonic booms reacting to your attacks, it's really easy for him to beat you.

I say this because whenever I fight someone who doesn't have projectiles it's pretty easy for me to zone them and make them play the game I want them to. Shoto's on the other hand...well they are hard for me to beat. :|

GF-Boceifus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    ARRRGGGH!

why ebay seller?

why would you just remove the fightpad listing?

why not just sell it to me?

Joolander on
  • Options
    thepassengerthepassenger Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Guile doesn't really have too many "safe" ways for him to press forward against Shotos with the exception of an EX Sonic Boom. However, it seems that most Shotos I've played recently have given up the whole fireball range game and have moved onto the jump-in round house sweep game or as I like to call it, get your face flash-kicked in.

thepassenger on
    PSN: ohvermie <- ADD ME FOR STREET FIGHTING ACTION!
  • Options
    G RolG Rol Dorsia? Nobody goes there anymore... Nell'sRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Guile doesn't really have too many "safe" ways for him to press forward against Shotos with the exception of an EX Sonic Boom. However, it seems that most Shotos I've played recently have given up the whole fireball range game and have moved onto the jump-in round house sweep game or as I like to call it, get your face flash-kicked in.

I generally play as Sakura, and her slow fireball motion can get rocked by a quick sonic boom before the hadoken even comes out. I'm pretty good about jumping over flash kicks (although I get caught getting greedy with a poorly placed crossup attempt sometimes). My muscle memory just needs to learn his crouching HK hits twice.

G Rol on

G%20Rol.jpg
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Joolander wrote: »
    ARRRGGGH!

why ebay seller?

Did you offer him three times what it's worth? If not, you have your answer.

Houn on
  • Options
    solsovlysolsovly Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    solsovly wrote: »
    Goddamn Sol, playing you is like an exercise in annoyance. Jab x 15 into throw, jump cross up, rinse repeat arghhhh!!

Anyways, good matches though, I have to work on finding out a way around mass jab/throw strat, I mean, I thought I jabbed like hell. You had a good way around the stomps though after a few matches so I had to work those into combos, but halfway through I was just getting annoyed. I need to work on dashing out of those cross up traps. The grabs just tick me off, their priority is sometimes retarded, but the chain off the blocked jabs into throw is almost abusive.

I really wish they left the throws like the old SF, where they couldn't freakin grab you unless you were standing (Minus certain special throws). The throws from blocked crouch with their priority is such a pain.

Looking forward to more.

If you think throws are bad in SF4, you do not want to play the old Street Fighters like HDR. You can grab anyone standing or crouching and they do much more damage. Tick throwing is also much much easier in the old games.

You can't really chain jab into throw without walking up to throw. Generally more than 2 jabs put you out of range of any throws. That gives you plenty of opportunity to poke, reversal or jump.

Sorry you had such a bad time playing.

Haha no man, I had a great time playing. It just gets my fighting spirit going. You should have seen me get ticked at red for constantly using FA's on me early on when I couldn't handle them. Now I need to play you to get past that strat of yours. :P

As for the old SF's, I've played them all. I recall quite well not being able to grab anyone crouch blocking, did they change it for HDR?

edit: Also, I couldn't throw out a jab without getting hit by your rapid fire jabbing at all. I also recall several deep jump ins that went right from a few jabs into a throw. Also, blocked J kicks where you threw me before you even landed or I could retaliate. Throw priority is really wonky.

You could throw crouching opponents since Street Fighter II: World Warrior.

It may seem like I went from Jump Kick to throw before landing, but that's basically impossible. I have to land to throw, and you have to be out of block stun. I guess the easiest way to explain is go into training mode, set CPU to always block. Now do a really deep jump kick and attempt a throw right away. You'll wiff the throw even though you are in range.

Anyways, I'm always up for games anytime you want to play.

solsovly on
  • Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Another night of rage for me. I lost more BP than I gained.

This "more skilled" filter is a crock of shit. It really messes up my game when I'm pitted against pathetic, 0 BP players in one match, but 3k plus players right after.

This took me way to long to figure out. If you search for "more skilled" custom matches, you'll almost always get someone with lower BP than you. Close BP to you, sometimes, but lower.

If you create a room yourself or play arcade mode set to accept challenges, you'll see higher ranked people.

I was in the 2000-2500BP range playing 1500BP person after 1500BP person when I used the custom match "more skilled" search. If I didn't know any better it would have been easy to think I was the highest ranked player on the planet. When I started finding matches those other two ways I finally started seeing people ranked 2500-3000BP.

wonderpug on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

God I wish, every shoto that I play immediately jumps back and starts throwing Hadokens. I actually beat out a Ken the other night where most of the match was spent with us on opposite sides of the screen throwing projectiles at one another. I ended up winning by getting a lucky throw at the end of the round and just beating him out in the health meters.

I've read on the SRK forums how to deal with this, advancing slowly, jumping straight up over fireballs, and throwing a sonic boom to react to the next one, but I could never jump straight up with my xbox controller. Got the Hori EX Pro in from the mail last night, but now it's like learning to walk all over again.

GF-Boceifus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Houn wrote: »
    Joolander wrote: »
    ARRRGGGH!

why ebay seller?

Did you offer him three times what it's worth? If not, you have your answer.

i suppose it was wishful thinking that i could haggle him down to 50

he started at $99, and i offered $40, then he went down to $75, then removed the listing :?:

Joolander on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

God I wish, every shoto that I play immediately jumps back and starts throwing Hadokens. I actually beat out a Ken the other night where most of the match was spent with us on opposite sides of the screen throwing projectiles at one another. I ended up winning by getting a lucky throw at the end of the round and just beating him out in the health meters.

I've read on the SRK forums how to deal with this, advancing slowly, jumping straight up over fireballs, and throwing a sonic boom to react to the next one, but I could never jump straight up with my xbox controller. Got the Hori EX Pro in from the mail last night, but now it's like learning to walk all over again.

A lot of the guile's a play will advance with a sonic boom they've just thrown sometimes and jump in when their opponent throws a fireball to counter. That usually only works if got a small time advantage though.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Dragkonias wrote: »

A lot of the guile's a play will advance with a sonic boom they've just thrown sometimes and jump in when their opponent throws a fireball to counter. That usually only works if got a small time advantage though.

I find I can usually get easy guile wins by using one-time tactics and then mind games to punish people when they think i'm going to do it again. For example, crouching lp spam while they're getting up then swap to a throw once they're can be caught. That will work once and only once. . . so I'll try it again and instead flash kick or something.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    TheUnsane1TheUnsane1 PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'm glad that I am not the only one who eats Guiles c.RH or doesn't punish it.

I am starting to work stop run AA throw into my El F. game, I love that he can pretty much dictate what the other player does by teaching them not to do some thing or XXX will happen. My favorite thing is wall spring splashes or throws vs Sagats who are throwing full screen fireballs.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Dragkonias wrote: »

I find I can usually get easy guile wins by using one-time tactics and then mind games to punish people when they think i'm going to do it again. For example, crouching lp spam while they're getting up then swap to a throw once they're can be caught. That will work once and only once. . . so I'll try it again and instead flash kick or something.

Yeah, or feint low attacks on wake up with c.mk to the overhead f.mp. Also using a couple of c.hp to punish jump ins then switching to air throw.

Once I get in a little rhythm I do okay, it's just that I get overly frustrated playing random shoto's online and get taken completely out of my game by fireball spam. Plus when using the xbox controller I would screw up a sonic boom and end up eating hadokens, making me even more frustrated. Besides basic matchup tactics I just need to calm down most of the time and take a breath.

GF-Boceifus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009

Thanks. Now I'm positive my choice will be the Hori Fighting Stick 3.

RockinX on
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

I thought the DOA stick was an EX2?

Houn on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Aha, just realized that my privacy settings had it to where only friends could see me as online.

sPider817 on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

EX2?

RockinX on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

EX2?
    Yeah the EX2 is their bog standard stick, I just have the DOA4 branded one that came out first. The Fighting Stick 3 is way more money and reportedly far better.

EDIT: THis is the EX2:
    hori-ex2-arcade-stick.jpg

The Fighting Stick 3 is the PS3 one?

MarvellousM on
  • Options
    aBlankaBlank Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Kelor wrote: »
    Anyone have a link to that youtube vid of learning Vega from the last thread? Someone mentioned it was done by some guy that organizes tournaments if that helps.

This?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1HXd6zcnbo

FWIW, the only combos worth learning are the ones that end in izuna drops or scarlet terrors.

aBlank on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    aBlank wrote: »
    Kelor wrote: »
    Anyone have a link to that youtube vid of learning Vega from the last thread? Someone mentioned it was done by some guy that organizes tournaments if that helps.

This?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1HXd6zcnbo

FWIW, the only combos worth learning are the ones that make MarvellousM want to kill himself.

MarvellousM on
  • Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Why can't Guile get a new move like some of these? I want an airborn sweep kick ala hurricane kick or a reflect boom!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuw0fxUSezI&et=1236717984.02

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    edited March 2009

EX2?
    Yeah the EX2 is their bog standard stick, I just have the DOA4 branded one that came out first. The Fighting Stick 3 is way more money and reportedly far better.

EDIT: THis is the EX2:
    hori-ex2-arcade-stick.jpg

The Fighting Stick 3 is the PS3 one?

Yep. I don't plan to buy a 360 any time soon. Plus, I already have the Ps3 CE SFIV.

RockinX on