Options

Obama: 129 Bowling Score "like the Special Olympics"

_J__J_ PedantRegistered User, __BANNED USERS regular
edited March 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
President Obama appeared on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno this evening. The interview was fine except for one section:
Q Now, are they going to put a basketball -- I imagine the bowling alley has been just burned and closed down.

THE PRESIDENT: No, no. I have been practicing all -- (laughter.)

Q Really? Really?

THE PRESIDENT: I bowled a 129. (Laughter and applause.)

Q No, that's very good. Yes. That's very good, Mr. President.

THE PRESIDENT: It's like -- it was like Special Olympics, or something. (Laughter.)

Q No, that's very good.

THE PRESIDENT: No, listen, I'm making progress on the bowling, yes.

How problematic is this "Special Olympic" comment for Obama? I assume this was simply an unintentional use of a colloquial expression which, presumably, we've all used before. That being said, I'll admit that if Bush had said this I would have been furious, news outlets would have focused upon it, Olbermann would have made a Special Comment about it, etc.

What do you think? Does this merit an apology? Or is this a complete non-issue?

_J_ on

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2009
    I think they should both be held to the same standard. I don't think anyone should be lambasted (Obama, or Bush if he'd said it) because it's clearly an innocent error. However I could absolutely see how damaging it could be to the mentally disabled or even more broadly the friends and family of mentally disabled individuals. I'm not sure whether an apology is merited but I don't think it would be inappropriate.

In terms of what will happen, I anticipate a lot of cheap shots from the fringe.

Organichu on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I don't think it would be a mistake for him to apologize tomorrow if even one word is said about it.

better yet, come out first thing and say I said an insensitive thing last night... something something I'm a brilliant speaker goodbye.

edit - he has to diffuse it because of the people who will attack him. I think it's worth the five minutes it will take.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Watching conservatives get all up in arms about political correctness may be funny.

Nocturne on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    hey actually that's a good point Nocturne.

Variable on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Nocturne wrote: »
    Watching fundies get all up in arms about political correctness may be funny.

No, because of course every single complaint will begin with "if it was <insert conservative> that said this...."

And, to some extent, they'll be right. Which always sucks.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    well, they won't be right because all they could say is "if a conservative said this the media would be all over it", and they'd be saying that on the news during coverage.

Variable on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I don't think we can go 'ha! hypocrites!', because, well... that's cheap. In case you're just kidding, in which case lulz. :) But really, the derision with which fundies say 'politically correct' needs to be combated and I think the best way to do that is universal and unbiased condemnation of the types of things that oughtn't be said. It's about proving the decent and just idea (respect for people of all faiths, colors, sexual orientations, etc.), not disproving the jackasses who oppose it.

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    mcdermott wrote: »
    Watching fundies get all up in arms about political correctness may be funny.

No, because of course every single complaint will begin with "if it was <insert conservative> that said this...."

And, to some extent, they'll be right. Which always sucks.

This is also true, unfortunately.

I ninja edited my post before you quoted it to say conservative instead of fundie to be a little more accurate, despite how interchangeable they sometimes are.
    Organichu wrote: »
    I don't think we can go 'ha! hypocrites!', because, well... that's cheap. In case you're just kidding, in which case lulz.

Well, it would be true. But it's mostly a joke because that wouldn't be the best way to go around it, and would make liberals hypocrits for not caring about political correctness.

Coming out with an apology quickly would be for the best.

Nocturne on
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    My reaction to this was both sides. First I thought "Boy, the retards sure will be fucking retarded about this comment" and then I had a heartbreaking mental image of some 12 year old disabled kid thinking "My president just made fun of me."

But then it brings up the whole political correctness thing Nocturne mentioned. Yeah, on one level, I can understand applying a different category of "political correctness" to the president and his statements...but why would we fixate upon his standard and not our own standards? If Obama's saying this could hurt feelings then would it not also follow from this that when I say it feelings could be hurt? Why would I think Obama needs to apologize if I would not think that I would need to apologize?

_J_ on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I don't think we can go 'ha! hypocrites!', because, well... that's cheap. In case you're just kidding, in which case lulz.

Well, it would be true. But it's mostly a joke because that wouldn't be the best way to go around it, and would make liberals hypocrits for not caring about political correctness.

There are a lot of true things that should never be said because they're not helpful or constructive.

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

There are a lot of true things that should never be said because they're not helpful or constructive.

Which is what I just labeled that as, yes.

Nocturne on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

Which is what I just labeled that as, yes.

I could tell you I want to bone you and it's very true but there's so much distance that this knowledge can't help you.

Ahem.

---

1.) Make insensitive comment
    2.) Apologize
    3.) Be a bigger man than mudslingers
    4.) ???
    5.) Universal healthcare
    6.) Profit!

Organichu on
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2009
    Is bowling in the paralympics? Hell, even if it wasn't I bet there's plenty of specials out there who could kick his ass, and mine twice.

Insensitive, worth an apology, not worth freaking out about for the next week. It really only highlights how normal it is to belittle the disabled.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    The Cat wrote: »
    Insensitive, worth an apology, not worth freaking out about for the next week. It really only highlights how normal it is to belittle the disabled.

Normalcy does not make it right. Now, I do not take you to be arguing that normalcy makes it right. But I'm wondering if this would be the sort of thing about which Obama ought to say "sorry" or if this is an opportunity for another event similar to the race speech he gave during the election.

_J_ on
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2009
    _J_ wrote: »

Normalcy does not make it right. Now, I do not take you to be arguing that normalcy makes it right. But I'm wondering if this would be the sort of thing about which Obama ought to say "sorry" or if this is an opportunity for another event similar to the race speech he gave during the election.

No, read it again. I'm saying its a learning opportunity, and not just for Obama. Certainly shows up the way liberals' ostensible progressive nature often isn't - I'm used to seeing that when women's issues are concerned, but people seem to give more of a crap about the broken-in-body.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    _J_ wrote: »

I don't think it's big enough to turn it into a race-speech-like issue, but worth an apology and some words about using offensive remarks glibly like that.

Nocturne on
  • Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Last time I went bowling I got a 37...

I think it would be great if he came out before anyone says something about it *cough* Glen Beck/Orielly *Cough*. Just to shut them in their traps, then he has to say something like, "I'm not perfect, I make mistakes just like anyone does." And you can't really get on him much after that.

Element Brian on
    Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    no being a dick is wrong. the whole point of apologizing is he's the fucking president and should avoid saying dumb things.

Variable on
  • Options
    [Michael][Michael] Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I really don't think it's a big deal. One of my sisters participates in a special olympics type event every year, and I didn't even think anything about it until seeing this thread, and now the front page of Fox News. Haven't seen anything from other news outlets yet.

edit: then again, I've been told I'm a terrible person for once using the phrase mentally retarded instead of intellectually disabled.

[Michael] on
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    A classy apology would be appropriate.

Hachface on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    [Michael] wrote: »
    edit: then again, I've been told I'm a terrible person for once using the phrase mentally retarded instead of intellectually disabled.

What's funny about this example is that the former is only more offensive than the latter because it has been used in that capacity longer and more commonly.

If the common term had been intellectually disabled, that would hold the offensiveness that mentally retarded does now. They are fucking synonyms.

Nocturne on
  • Options
    RaggaholicRaggaholic Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Raggaholic on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    done and done. now just to solve the slight economic issues we're going through.

Variable on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The people who would get in arms over this are unlikely to be the actual special olympics competitors, who probably have enough self confidence in themselves from, you know, kicking ass in an olympic class event, to give a damn what anybody might have accidentally alluded about them. Someone who obviously didn't even mean it? Man go away I have to practise more.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Yeah, it's a gaffe and he should (and has) apologized for it. I don't think anyone seriously believes he looks down on the disabled or mentally handicapped.

Cue faux outrage from right wingers who, 24 hours ago, were bitching about political correctness.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    ObsObs __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    Political correctness needs to go to hell and die. It takes all the spice out of everyday speech.

Obs on
  • Options
    EmanonEmanon __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    Well... we hold a President to a higher standard but it just shows how vulnerable Obama can be without his teleprompter.

Emanon on
    Treats Animals Right!
  • Options
    GalielmusGalielmus Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I think the president just needs to stand up and make fun of every race, class, and stereotype for an evening. People need to get over themselves and realize not everything is a personal remark against them. Sometimes, and this is a mindblowing concept I know, things are said purely for comical value. And that's okay.

Galielmus on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    wwtMask wrote: »
    Yeah, it's a gaffe and he should (and has) apologized for it. I don't think anyone seriously believes he looks down on the disabled or mentally handicapped.

Cue faux outrage from right wingers who, 24 hours ago, were bitching about political correctness.

The circling of the Left Wing Wagons protecting Obama is something you seem to take part in.

Emanon on
    Treats Animals Right!
  • Options
    Greg USNGreg USN Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    public officials are held to a higher standard. He should appologize. I know (as previously stated in this thread) that Bush would have been fucking torn apart about 30 seconds after he said that, but that is a shitty reason to appologize for something. He should do it because it's the right thing to do.

Edit: Its stupid to go nuts over an innocent slip like this (no matter who said it) but an appology should be warranted, especially if done before the press digs into it.

Greg USN on
    FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    Infinity Mog 21 and over Free Company Sargatanas Server. Recruitment currently closed.
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Is bowling in the paralympics? Hell, even if it wasn't I bet there's plenty of specials out there who could kick his ass, and mine twice.

Paralympics != Special Olympics.

Paralympics is for physically disabled people.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Emanon wrote: »

The circling of the Left Wing Wagons protecting Obama is something you seem to take part in.

And you sling shit like a right wing monkey. Woo, a cute little teleprompter joke, you're so clever. You weren't saying that shit when he took questions from the press for AN HOUR without a teleprompter and was quite articulate.

Also, why don't you read the post where I said he should apologize for the remark instead of being a dipshit just because I'm not pitching a fit about a fairly innocuous, if insensitive, comment.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    He who is without sin etc etc - which PA poster has never called anyone a retard?

On the one hand it's insensitive. On the other hand, it's a fairly everyday level of insensitivity.

But yes, hypocritical left-wingers will support Obama and downplay it. Hypocritical right-wingers will suddenly pretend to care about the disabled and PC language.

Hypocrites suck?

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    edited March 2009

And you sling shit like a right wing monkey. Woo, a cute little teleprompter joke, you're so clever. You weren't saying that shit when he took questions from the press for AN HOUR without a teleprompter and was quite articulate.

Also, why don't you read the post where I said he should apologize for the remark instead of being a dipshit just because I'm not pitching a fit about a fairly innocuous, if insensitive, comment.

I'm getting the impression you don't like me.

Emanon on
    Treats Animals Right!
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Also consider, as I said before, the person saying it. I don't think anyone believes that Obama thinks badly of the mentally handicapped. It was a gaffe, but I don't think it was mean-spirited. On the other hand, let's consider the people forwarding "Barack the Magic Negro", or the person forwarding the "Barack Bucks" picture, or the Republican who forwarded the joke about unemployed black people going to the inauguration. The intention behind these acts is different than Obama trying to be self-deprecating about his inability to bowl well.

wwtMask on
  • Options
    geckahngeckahn Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I am a lifelong advocate of not being politically correct, and I'm not going to be a hypocrite here. The slight apology was appropriate.

That said, I'd laugh about it if it was Bush - but that's when looked at as part of his body of work as a whole.

geckahn on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

I don't like your politics or when you say stupid things, which is astoundingly often. Otherwise I don't care much about you either way.

wwtMask on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Man he really is apart of the internet generation isn't he?

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

I don't like your politics or when you say stupid things, which is astoundingly often. Otherwise I don't care much about you either way.

:(

Emanon on
    Treats Animals Right!
  • Options
    SpoonySpoony Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

I don't understand this statement.

How is saying, "It was a dick thing to say and Obama should apologize for it. Oh, he has. Very well then." circling the wagons?

Spoony on