As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PS3 price drop?

GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
edited April 2009 in Games and Technology
I'm finding myself more and more drawn toward getting a PS3 for the Valkyria/SF4/Metal Gear trifecta. But I can't begin to justify buying it at current prices. I was wondering if anyone had any knowledge/rumors/wild-ass guesses about a price drop. If it gets down to $250 or so I might be able to convince myself it's not a terrible waste of money.

steam_sig.png
IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
GoodOmens on

• Options
    BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    It should be $300 sometime soon.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Sony is apparently planning on making an announcement on March 31st. This may or may not be a PS3 price drop.

Alternatively, you could get a used PS3 20GB (No wireless, but it has backwards compatibility) off of ebay for around $250.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    BlackDove wrote: »
    It should be $300 sometime soon.

There is a case for them doing this but it would cost them a billion or so dollars to do it. I'm not sure their investors would be pleased.

Sony is really stuck between the need to cut the price to something closer to their competition and the combo of the high specs and Yen/dollar exchange making that a very hard thing to do.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    There are a ton of rumors of a PS3 price drop with many analysts thinking that Sony will drop the price sometime soon. Many publishers have also called for a price cut. This doesn't guarantee anything depending on how concerned Sony is with making a profit on the PS3.
    There is a case for them doing this but it would cost them a billion or so dollars to do it. I'm not sure their investors would be pleased.
    The investors aren't please anyway right now. Increased software sales should make up for some of the cost.

Couscous on
  • Options
    ArasenArasen Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I've heard rumors of a price cut later this year, but with the value of some major currencies dropping it may not happen. For example, Nintendo raised or is going to raise the price of the Wii in the UK due to the lower value of the pound. It might not be feasible for Sony to do a PS3 price drop even if they wanted to. Anyways, I'd say to wait until E3 is done and over with to see if a price drop is announced.

Arasen on
    [SIGPIC]steam_sig.png[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    If you don't mind getting a new Credit Card you can get one for $250. (I think they still have the$150 rebate) Just cancel the CC after you pay it off/ get the rebate. (This is how I bought my 60GB for $350 almost 2 years ago.)

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Doesn't cancelling a credit card murder your credit, though?

psyck0 on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    If anything Sony is going to add some bullshit crap to the console, and add 50$ to the price tag, claiming that they're the leaders of media entertainment and buying a PS3 is not just buying a game console.

But you know what Sony? I'm willing to wait a very long time....

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    My prediction? Price drop on the 80, introduction of the 120 with an extra card or usb slot, or coming with two controllers(Probably SIXAXIS and not DS3) at the same price as the 80, with no BC to speak of. 80 is discontinued.

Khavall on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I would say a new model is likely, and it'll have the side-effect of getting a price-drop in place. That's how you stretch out a 10 year plan, right? Constant model releases.

Too late for me to take advantage of. I bought the last 80GB fully BC enabled used PS3 in town back in January. It was great how I had to make a choice of not supporting Sony's terrible console handling or supporting Gamestop by giving them the full $450 for the console.

Henroid on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Khavall wrote: »
    My prediction? Price drop on the 80, introduction of the 120 with an extra card or usb slot, or coming with two controllers(Probably SIXAXIS and not DS3) at the same price as the 80, with no BC to speak of. 80 is discontinued.

They basically did this already, and Sony isn't retarded enough to do it again. I said the same thing about dropping the price on one console and then discontinuing it in order to introduce yet another model.

The PS3 will continue to have backwards compatibility with the PS1 simply because it isn't costing them anything.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Hurm...after some more thought I'm thinking of going the 360 route instead. Half the price + better online + more games - Red Ring = I dunno. I'd still miss out on Valkyria Chronicles, but SF4 wouldn't be a problem. Argle bargle.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    GoodOmens wrote: »
    Hurm...after some more thought I'm thinking of going the 360 route instead. Half the price + better online + more games - Red Ring = I dunno. I'd still miss out on Valkyria Chronicles, but SF4 wouldn't be a problem. Argle bargle.

I guess the anime / manga could fill the Valkyria void?

Henroid on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I am waiting passionately for a price drop as well.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'm finding myself more and more drawn toward getting a PS3 for the Valkyria/SF4/Metal Gear trifecta. But I can't begin to justify buying it at current prices. I was wondering if anyone had any knowledge/rumors/wild-ass guesses about a price drop. If it gets down to $250 or so I might be able to convince myself it's not a terrible waste of money.

If you're looking for one on the cheap you can always sign up for a Sony Credit Card and cash back for it.

http://www.sonyrewards.com/en/gateway/?offerlink=srnowps3

Meh.

Or:
    http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?sduid=0&t=1266263
    http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?sduid=0&t=1265913

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

Just pick up a ps3 in 7 years when its in the $100 range. Valkyria will still be awesome. (though might be hard to find)

Also be aware the the xbox might not be as cheap as you think it is. You may need a Hard drive ($50-$125), wifi adapter ($70-$90) and live card ($30-$50 per year).

greeble on

I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    But that's the key fucking word! May!

I may not need any of that and I mayI just want a video game console so I can play a video game once in a while!

FUCK! WHY IS IT SO HARD TO GET A VIDEO GAME CONSOLE NOWADAYS?!

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    But that's the key fucking word! May!

I may not need any of that and I mayI just want a video game console so I can play a video game once in a while!

FUCK! WHY IS IT SO HARD TO GET A VIDEO GAME CONSOLE NOWADAYS?!

Um, it isn't?

I have two of them they were so easy to get.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Couscous wrote: »

They basically did this already, and Sony isn't retarded enough to do it again. I said the same thing about dropping the price on one console and then discontinuing it in order to introduce yet another model.

The PS3 will continue to have backwards compatibility with the PS1 simply because it isn't costing them anything.

God I wish that were true.

Also, how does having PS2 software emulation cost more (as it pertains to new models)? Are the newer PS3s less powerful than the old 80GB models?

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    You dont have a video game consoles.

You have two media systems.

A video game console plays games and nothing else.

A media system does a shit load of other pointless things, and play games.

A NDS is a video game console.

A PS3 is a media system.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    NDS can totally play music files. That is a retarded semantics argument. You should feel bad.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    It can play music, yes. But Nintedo isnt stupid enough to add pointless shit, like a camera, and turn around and sell it as the next big thing. Probably give it some dumbass name like DSi.

Point is, I dont need another cd/dvd/bluray/sdcard/sonycameradock/whateverelsethey'reforcingyoutobuywiththesystem.

I just want a console that plays PS3 games without the added fat.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I want to buy a PS3 to play BluRays and occasionally games.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    ArcticMonkeyArcticMonkey Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    CarbonFire wrote: »

Also, how does having PS2 software emulation cost more (as it pertains to new models)? Are the newer PS3s less powerful than the old 80GB models?

There has newer been software only emulation of PS2 on PS3. Early models had both PS2 CPU and GPU hardware, later models had PS2 GPU and emulated CPU. Calling that software emulation was confusing by Sony.

ArcticMonkey on
    "You read it! You can't unread it!"
    venstre.giflobotDanceMiddle.gifhoyre.gif
  • Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    It can play music, yes. But Nintedo isnt stupid enough to add pointless shit, like a camera, and turn around and sell it as the next big thing. Probably give it some dumbass name like DSi.

Point is, I dont need another cd/dvd/bluray/sdcard/sonycameradock/whateverelsethey'reforcingyoutobuywiththesystem.

I just want a console that plays PS3 games without the added fat.

I want a toaster, but I don't want them to force that stupid bread slot on me.

Ashcroft on
    ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    CarbonFire wrote: »

There has newer been software only emulation of PS2 on PS3. Early models had both PS2 CPU and GPU hardware, later models had PS2 GPU and emulated CPU. Calling that software emulation was confusing by Sony.

Well that makes more sense. You're right, "software" emulation is a misnomer.

nbc_the_more_you_know.jpg

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    tardcoretardcore Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Price drop or not, I just bought one yesterday. That officially makes me the owner of all three "current-gen" consoles. I've never owned all of them at once.

tardcore on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I'm still waffling about PS3 or 360, which probably means I shouldn't buy either one and save my money.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Dell.com routinely offers 20% off coupons that work on the PS3. Should work out to $319 before tax/shipping.

Artereis on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    They offer discounts on the 360 as well.

Anyway, the end of March came and went with no price drop and Sony execs still claiming the $400 price is the best thing ever. Just so you know.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    tardcore wrote: »
    Price drop or not, I just bought one yesterday. That officially makes me the owner of all three "current-gen" consoles. I've never owned all of them at once.

High five man! I owned all 3 last gen and it was awesome. I'll be a 3 console owner this one too once the wii finally gets a price cut. (yeah it could be awhile)

greeble on

• Options
    Torso BoyTorso Boy Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    There's...really a lot of fail in this thread.

A price drop is plausible, but not likely. They're still losing money on every PS3, but the lineup as of late has meant decent sales...so until a reason for sales to skyrocket materializes, why would they drop the price?

So the best bet is to get your discout from the retailer. Dell's deals are hard to beat. I've also found it's pretty easy to find people who got a PS3 (or Wii, for that matter) as a gift and don't want it, so that's another approach you can try if you're comfortable with it.

Torso Boy on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Torso Boy wrote: »
    There's...really a lot of fail in this thread.

A price drop is plausible, but not likely. They're still losing money on every PS3, but the lineup as of late has meant decent sales...so until a reason for sales to skyrocket materializes, why would they drop the price?

Salmon'd for lies. The PS3 is selling well behind the 360, and has been for most months it's been released. Because of this, both retailers and developers have started bitching loudly about the price, which they feel (rightly) is holding back its sales and causing stores to get stuck with slow-moving stock and developers to have less of an audience to sell to.

THAT is why they should drop the price... at least from the perspective of everyone but Sony.

Unfortunately Sony is just barely breaking even on each PS3 sold, and dropping the price would return them to losing money with each sale. Though a lower price may gain software sales and money in the long term, we're in a recession and none of Sony's divisions are doing really well at this point. Because of this, doing something that would cause them to lose money is a lot less attractive, even though it means giving up the opportunity to build their sales, stop losing momentum and have a better chance for a fresh start next generation.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    h8b1llg8tsh8b1llg8ts Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Artereis wrote: »
    Dell.com routinely offers 20% off coupons that work on the PS3. Should work out to $319 before tax/shipping.

It would but the coupon has been removed. Even though they extended it till the end of April.

h8b1llg8ts on
    Coolest Guy I Know
    h8b1llg8ts.gif
    sig.gif
    MAX: Liz I really, really wish that this could be something, you know, more. But it can't. We're just...

LIZ: Different.

VOICE-OVER: It's September 24th, I'm Liz Parker and five days ago I died. But then the really amazing thing happened. I came to life.
  • Options
    ScrubletScrublet Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The PS3 itself may be selling behind the 360, but its games are doing fine. Killzone 2 and Resistance 2 both did very well, and this year has infamous, Uncharted2, GOW3, and GT5 all coming out. I think they'll make enough money off those that they won't care to drop the price yet. Especially since there are reports floating around of that one-red-light error affecting some of the 360s yet again. I could see a price drop for the holiday crush but I wouldn't expect one before then.

Scrublet on
    subedii wrote: »
    I hear PC gaming is huge off the coast of Somalia right now.

PSN: TheScrublet
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Scrublet wrote: »
    The PS3 itself may be selling behind the 360, but its games are doing fine. Killzone 2 and Resistance 2 both did very well, and this year has infamous, Uncharted2, GOW3, and GT5 all coming out. I think they'll make enough money off those that they won't care to drop the price yet. Especially since there are reports floating around of that one-red-light error affecting some of the 360s yet again. I could see a price drop for the holiday crush but I wouldn't expect one before then.

Really?

So EA is losing tons, Activision is probably only making money because of the WoW cash cow, Eidos just collapsed and were bought out, THQ is losing money, etc., etc., but yet Sony can make money selling games with super high production values (read super high budgets) to the smallest existing install base?

I like your sense of humor.

There won't be a price cut but that's because the PS3 is still stupidly expensive to make and the Yen is just too high.

Also, the recent PS3's sales could count as "decent" and actually look good compared to 2007 sales which were terrible. Outside of Europe it's selling about as well as the GameCube. However it costs a lot more to make a PS3 game than a GC game so the PS3 really needs a bigger install base so maybe "decent" is pushing it.

Luckily 3rd parties have enforced a shotgun wedding between the 360 and PS3 and the combined userbase should ensure a decent amount of support for both.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Scrublet wrote: »

Really?

So EA is losing tons, Activision is probably only making money because of the WoW cash cow, Eidos just collapsed and were bought out, THQ is losing money, etc., etc., but yet Sony can make money selling games with super high production values (read super high budgets) to the smallest existing install base?

I like your sense of humor.

There won't be a price cut but that's because the PS3 is still stupidly expensive to make and the Yen is just too high.

Also, the recent PS3's sales could count as "decent" and actually look good compared to 2007 sales which were terrible. Outside of Europe it's selling about as well as the GameCube. However it costs a lot more to make a PS3 game than a GC game so the PS3 really needs a bigger install base so maybe "decent" is pushing it.

Luckily 3rd parties have enforced a shotgun wedding between the 360 and PS3 and the combined userbase should ensure a decent amount of support for both.

Go to this link, sort by Developer, and see if you can figure out all on your own why EA might be losing money. Then lets consider some Activision games that are cash cows besides WOW: the Call of Duty franchise, the Guitar Hero franchise, the Tony Hawk and Quake franchises (though not so much anymore)...I mean do you realize how many game studios publish their games under Activision? Eidos pinned their hopes on Tomb Raider and Age of Conan...whoops. THQ is the only developer you mentioned that could really be relevant here. Plenty of developers can afford to make successful games for the PS3 if they don't suck.

However, as you noted, most have figured out that it is more profitable to produce a game for both consoles rather than stick to one or the other. Considering that the PS2 is still going, I think Sony is very comfortable betting on the longterm with their system, and isn't too concerned with the price drop. Especially given the massive hardware failures their chief competitor (Wii doesn't really count here) incurred going the cheap route.

Edit: What's really sad here is that the Wii Fit is going to eclipse the PS3. I find the direction that system took to be more depressing than if the PS3 went the way of the Dreamcast or something.

Scrublet on

• Options
    Lionhart617Lionhart617 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

Half the price for half of what the PS3 is. No wireless out of the box, no replacable HDD, the 360 really doesn't have much more games than PS3 anymore, Red Ring fucking sucks, discs are much more prone to scratches, you'd have to keep buying batteries for the controllers unless you buy rechargable ones, you have to pay for XboxLive.

Stop being a cheap ass.

Lionhart617 on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I want to clarify that I think it's POSSIBLE the PS3 could benefit from a price drop. But it's not guaranteed, and since the exclusives that do come out are selling well, there's no incentive for Sony to take the risk of price-dropping the console and then not seeing sales improve. And that I feel making the argument based on game sales is flawed because the games aren't doing too bad, especially given the economy.

I do think that given the cheap prices of hard drives they should get rid of the 80GB one and sell the 160GB with Uncharted for $400. That's fucking stupid.

Scrublet on

• Options
    edited April 2009
    The problem is that, on average, the hyped PS3 exclusives do well but not spectacularly, and that on multiplatform games, the sales of the 360 version bests the PS3 version by an average of 2:1. Game sales aren't doing bad when judged in a vacuum, but they're outpaced by the competition and not bringing in so much money that it justifies keeping a price point on the console that a massive amount of the buying public are violently allergic to.

Besides, the true motivation for not dropping the price is abundantly clear already. 1) The system is very expensive to manufacture, and the manufacturing price has only very recently equaled the sales price. 2) Sony executives have, in response to questions on why they don't drop the price already, have said over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over that their goal for the PS3 is to make a profit on each system sold. (Also, as you said, dropping the price and taking a financial hit doesn't guarantee they'll make it up on software sales, though I'd argue making the system more viable and more attractive to buyers, retailers and developers now will make it easier for Sony to do better in the next generation.)

That's not to say it's not a good system once you've already bought it, but let's call a spade a spade here.

cloudeagle on