As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Making a video/motherboard trouble thread because the Technology Forum was useless

JavenJaven Registered User regular
edited April 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Today I received an ATI Radeon HD 4870 as a gift, a formidable upgrade from my 8800 GTS. Unfortunately after multiple attempts at installing the drivers (both from the included disc and the support site) they don't seem to want to be recognized. I think it might be a mobo issue, as I'm currently running an MSI P60i, which is an Nvidia chipset I believe. Is there a way to work this without buying a new motherboard?

To be specific, I get a windows code 39 whenever I check the driver in the device manager, which means the driver is either missing or corrupted. Every version I download results in the same error.

Javen on

• Options
    I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell UpI'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    this might be entirely unrelated but out of curiosity, how good is your power supply?

edit: better yet, post all of your specs. OS included

I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up on
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    What do you suppose the chance is that you didn't properly install the graphics card?

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    eternalbleternalbl Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I wonder if installing the driver would run a stress test like This is talking about and cause you that code 39.

What OS are you using?

eternalbl on
    eternalbl.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Nappuccino wrote: »
    What do you suppose the chance is that you didn't properly install the graphics card?
    chances are higher i think that it is properly installed, and his power supply isn't up to running it.

it would also resut in a failed stress test as it would only run the video card at minimum

• Options
    edited April 2009
    chances are higher i think that it is properly installed, and his power supply isn't up to running it.

it would also resut in a failed stress test as it would only run the video card at minimum

I'd agree- I just was putting out alternate ideas. You can never have too many alternate ideas.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/

• Options
    edited April 2009

I'd agree- I just was putting out alternate ideas. You can never have too many alternate ideas.
    er sorry i guess the context of this needed to be stated so as not to cause confusion

I have talked to javen and he seems like a dude who would know what he is doing with computers so chances are likely that, in this case, he just needs a new power supply. any other case I'm right there with you. user error is my favorite solution

• Options
    edited April 2009
    Fair enough :)

My dads an engineer so I kind of get that "Analyze everything from every angle possible" mentality on occasion...

(also, I'm not sure about the validity of this idea, but could you have possibly gotten a broken video card? I'm sure that is much more rare than the people who get the card, plug it in wrong and fry it only go ship it back saying "I have no idea, it was DOA." However, that situation has to happen for real sometimes.

I just don't know if the screen and everything else would continue to work unless the pc had intergrated graphics to fall back on. [ i'm really a pc noob who just thinks too much. Hopefully I'm not ramblying and totally off base for a possible solution]

Nappuccino on

• Options
    edited April 2009
    Apparently this is a pretty known issue for ATI drivers after looking it up a bit.

Basically uninstall the drivers, then run Driver cleaner pro in safe mode maybe even. Then install the latest drivers and cross your fingers and pray. Maybe kneel facing south so as not to anger the gods or something.

Edit: for the computer to 'fall back' to integrated graphics the monitor would have to be connected to the motherboard and not the videocard.

dang, unfortunately they don't offer a freeware version anymore :/

Try Driver sweeper instead I guess.

eternalbl on
    eternalbl.png
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I doubt it's a PSU issue, because I have the same card and if I don't connect the cords, I get a nice little beep and a message telling me that there's a problem with the power supply and it won't even load Windows.

Are you downloading and installing the correct driver? There's one for 64-bit Vista (and XP) and one for 32-bit Vista (and XP), so if you installed the wrong one that might be the problem. Though when I accidentally downloaded the wrong one it wouldn't even let me install it, it would go through a few screens and then tell me it was corrupted/wrong.

Invisible on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Invisible wrote: »
    I doubt it's a PSU issue, because I have the same card and if I don't connect the cords, I get a nice little beep and a message telling me that there's a problem with the power supply and it won't even load Windows.

Are you downloading and installing the correct driver? There's one for 64-bit Vista (and XP) and one for 32-bit Vista (and XP), so if you installed the wrong one that might be the problem. Though when I accidentally downloaded the wrong one it wouldn't even let me install it, it would go through a few screens and then tell me it was corrupted/wrong.
    depends on how low it is.

if it's too low to even begin to use it it will beep a post code. if it's just barely big enough it will run at insanely low and that's it

• Options
    edited April 2009
    I did read about the ATI problems that can spring up and how Driver Cleaner might fix them. I'll probably try that later.

I'm also running a mere 500W PSU, so that also may very well be the issue.

Javen on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Dude, I've read articles about huge power supplies being totally unnecessary. Before you drop that kinda cash, I'd definitely suggest trying to look up if you'll really need it.

eternalbl on
    eternalbl.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    System reqs ask for 500W at least, which I have. I'll try driver cleaner or whatever but I'm looking to pretty much overhaul my system anyway so I may just end up buying a new power supply regardless.

Javen on
  • Options
    ScrubletScrublet Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Remember there is more to that power supply than the 500W. You need to pay attention to the amperage over the 12V lines. You can have a 700W PS but if it's shitty and not putting out enough amps you're still going to be out of luck.

Scrublet on
    subedii wrote: »
    I hear PC gaming is huge off the coast of Somalia right now.

PSN: TheScrublet
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Welll there's no documentation I can find in terms of required amps so I can't really troubleshoot that. It's definitely something I'll keep in mind when/if I buy a new PSU, though.

Javen on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Though the more I think the more I'm convinced it is indeed a PSU issue. The device manager still reads the device, so it's not the card, and the card still works to an extent, insofar that I can get a decent resolution out of it (1400x1050) so I'm a little more inclined to think that the card just isn't getting enough juice.

Javen on
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I ran it on a 500w PSU without any problem. I did eventually upgrade to a 650w PSU, because I wanted modular unit. I'd look at some other issues before dropping money on a PSU (or at least see if you can borrow one to see if it makes a difference).

Invisible on
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    You have the additional PCI-E power cords (two of them) plugged into the card right?

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    So I broke down and bought a new power supply (I needed one anyway) and I'm still getting the code 39 error (I'm also using driver sweeper) and on top of that I seem to be getting an "INF file was not found during installation" error which is causing the whole thing to fail outright. I seem to be going backwards.

Javen on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Update!

After several hours of fiddling with nothing in particular I'm now getting a code 19 error! You know I'm going crazy when my optimism is forcing me to view this as a good thing, as at least the number is becoming smaller

Javen on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Another bump, because I managed to pull this up.

Product
    ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series

Problem
    Could not load driver software

Date
    4/17/2009 12:43 AM

Status
    Not Reported

Description
    Windows was able to successfully install device driver software, but the driver software encountered a problem when it tried to run. The problem code is 39.

Problem signature
    Problem Event Name: PnPDeviceProblemCode
    Architecture: x64
    Hardware Id: PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_9440&SUBSYS_05021002&REV_00
    Setup class GUID: {4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
    PnP problem code: 00000027
    Driver name: atikmdag.sys
    Driver version: 7.1.1.838
    Driver date: 10-29-2008
    OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1
    Locale ID: 1033

Files that help describe the problem