As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Game On! And On! And On!] Diablo 2: Stay a while and listen!

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Missed it again :P

man everyone's vanished just before the reset. The games list is virtuallly all bots.

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    lordswinglordswing Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    fuck you battle.net, fuck you.

*edit*fuck you twice

lordswing on
    D2:LoD East -> *FlipPaulHewitt
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    lemme guess, first it poofed your mule game, then you got R/Ded?

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    lordswing wrote: »

*edit*fuck you twice
    bots.jpg
    Man, this is ridiculous. Everytime I join a game it's like this.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    Squirrel RancherSquirrel Rancher Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    lordswing wrote: »

*edit*fuck you twice
    bots.jpg
    Man, this is ridiculous. Everytime I join a game it's like this.
    Yeah, the bots have taken over bnet. Best thing to do set a key/button to clear the screen, I have mine set to one of my extra mouse buttons.

Edit: also I made it a game to squelch bots before they could say anything. It's like whack-a-mole except more rewarding!

Squirrel Rancher on
  • Options
    RingmasterRingmaster Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    the default button is 'n'

Ringmaster on
    Diablo 2 - Sinuath
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    ronya wrote: »
    lemme guess, first it poofed your mule game, then you got R/Ded?

Yeah, minus the r/d, though I did have a ton of fail to join trying to get back into the mule game, so close enough. Lost all my javazon gear, which is just perfect. I didn't even know a permed game could drop like that, there were 2 other PA guys in the game.

I got on my mule, dropped gear, came back with my zon, and this is where the bullshit starts. I know I picked up at least my shield and shako, and was in the process of picking up my boots when I couldn't drop them in my inventory, and that's when it kicked me out. After that, it was saying the game was full (which is more bullshit). After more ftj, including b.net saying the mule game doesn't exist, I check back on my zon, and of course nothing's there. I hold out a small glimmer of hope that maybe b.net took mercy on me, and did a rollback (which I'm sure is impossible) so I check on my zon to see if the gear's left, which it isn't (thus the edit).

/rage off

lordswing on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Wow, looks like you got treated to the full range of crap that battle.net can throw at you. All at once :D

I've had all of those too - games that boot out all their players, mysterious persistent Failed to Joins, bizarre rollbacks (which do happen) - but all individually. And I haven't lost anything to those yet... lucky me?

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Anyone have an Andy's Visage on USEast HCL? I want to bug my gear, so just need it to put gear on.

lordswing on
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I don't think that works anymore.

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    The gear that I plan to put on has +str on it, I just need to get the gear on first.

lordswing on
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I see

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    histronichistronic Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm on right now with my summonancer; panr1/wang if anyone wants to join me.

histronic on
    WiiU Friend Code: rlinkmanl
    PSN: rlinkmanl
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I'm on right now with my summonancer; pall if anyone wants to join me. No password, reading bot spam breaks up the monotony a bit :P

edit: we're now in "prod". yeah :S

edit: we're done :p

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    i'm starting to wonder about the validitity of a sacrifice build.. +1000% damage doesn't seem nearly as great as it did earlier.. even if i have a 600 damage sword what's that going to do? Put it up to 6.6k ? that's hell viable i suppose but it isn't any big whoop.. I'm kinda disappointed in it all.

Although that's a grandfather sword with a base attack speed of 5.. which is pretty good i suppose.. i'm using a slow weapon right now so maybe something like that would make the difference. Not that i'll ever have one anyway.. I may have to put this build to bed.. you know a dirt nap? Go for a swim with cement shoe's? Long walk off a short peer? Anyone getting what i'm saying here?

I dunno.. is this good? The damage seems low to me..

Ringmaster on
    Diablo 2 - Sinuath
  • Options
    0blique0blique Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The problem for you is not damage, 6000 damage is plenty- it's attack speed. It's more effective for you to increase your damage output by increasing your speed.

My suggestion: just switch to zeal. The build is almost exactly the same as you probably maxed sacrifice and fanat. As long as you didn't put too many points into redemption, you can switch to the traditional zealot build. Even if you did, you still only need to put a few points into zeal to see if you like it better.

0blique on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Ringmaster wrote: »
    i'm starting to wonder about the validitity of a sacrifice build.. +1000% damage doesn't seem nearly as great as it did earlier.. even if i have a 600 damage sword what's that going to do? Put it up to 6.6k ? that's hell viable i suppose but it isn't any big whoop.. I'm kinda disappointed in it all.

Although that's a grandfather sword with a base attack speed of 5.. which is pretty good i suppose.. i'm using a slow weapon right now so maybe something like that would make the difference. Not that i'll ever have one anyway.. I may have to put this build to bed.. you know a dirt nap? Go for a swim with cement shoe's? Long walk off a short peer? Anyone getting what i'm saying here?

I dunno.. is this good? The damage seems low to me..

It's actually worse than that. The Grandfather has an average damage of 423 if perfect, but that's after adding in its own on-weapon enhanced damage (250%). Without it, it has just 211 damage (i.e., it's not 1100% of 423, but (1100%+250%=1350%) of 211, which is much lower).

In fact, the highest possible average base weapon damage is just 493: a perfect Grief Decapitator. The Grief provides +400 damage. It's the runeword for any build that has hilariously high amounts of enhanced damage - then get tons of %ED and critical/deadly strike (CS/DS is applied after ED. 100% CS will simply double total damage). A perfect Grief Ettin Axe, Fortitude, Phoenix, 20 Sacrifice/Redemption/Fanaticism, and 37% DS from Highlord's Wrath will give 13443 average damage (with 65% IAS it'll hit the fastest 8 fpa attack, too - 40% Grief, 20% Highlord's... 5% from somewhere? Andariel's, perhaps).

Yeah.

Sacrifice is slightly tricky to apply - presumably the whole point of Sac isn't to focus on hitting quickly; otherwise you'd be better off with lots of crushing blow rather than anything with high base damage, and then the high +%ED of Sac isn't useful anyway. It's an effective build with optimal equipment: Ber'd Andariel's Visage, perfect String of Ears, high Grief, perfect Fortitude, high Phoenix - but once you have all those, Zeal is still better simply because Zeal can attack twice as fast - 4 fpa instead of 8.

And rapidly-applied crushing blow is much more effective than high %ED, really, because Hell monsters just have so much damn life and %DR. 500 elemental damage and 50% crushing blow is more effective than 10000 pure physical damage.

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Do items with grey names always have slots?

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    it's either sockets or ethereal

lordswing on
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    If it's grey and gloves, boots, or a belt, it's pretty much entirely ignorable.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Is there a relatively quick way to get resistance gear? I want to try killing Diablo solo on my kicksin.

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Is there a relatively quick way to get resistance gear? I want to try killing Diablo solo on my kicksin.

You want something quick and easy? Just make a deal with the Devil.

Oh...

emnmnme on
  • Options
    0blique0blique Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    For single player- 6 pgem (one of each color, no skulls) and amulet in the horadric cube will give you a prismatic amulet. Also, perfect diamonds in a shield, or ancients pledge (ral+ort+tal) in a shield are easy too. You can also try shopping or gambling for gear to with resistances.

For online play (where you can trade), it's cheaper and probably easier to get other gear, such as rare amulets with resist all, rings with resist all, armor with resist all, charms with specific resistances, etc. Of course, if you'd like me to make more specific recommendations, you'll have to be more specific about where you are in the game, and where you are playing (ladder/nonladder, hardcore/softcore, close/open/offline, etc...).

0blique on
  • Options
    RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    http://forums.battle.net/thread.html?topicId=16474166159&sid=3000&pageNo=1#18
    So yeah, we're still working on the patch. It's coming along really well. We're getting there. I can't give an estimate or date, we're expecting there to be a good amount of testing required due to the types of changes being made. We want to take our time and put out a solid patch, and that means we don't have a release date right now.

Some exciting news - and it also may be some comfort - due to the types of changes we're making we will be offering the Diablo II 1.13 patch for testing and feedback on a test realm before its release. We'll have more information about how you'll be able to help test it in the coming weeks.

So it looks like the reset is at least a month away given that it hasn't entered testing and that it has to make a test realm appearance.

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Ah shit, well i guess this build is scrapped at level 45. How sad..

Maybe i'll make another thrower or something? I think i have a lot of the start up gear anyway. There's no way i have the gear to make this character truly worth something and the only reason they were doing well in NM was probably the 40% crushing Blow on the weapon i'm using.

Ringmaster on
    Diablo 2 - Sinuath
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I always enjoyed being a paladin with max meditation with a bunch of casters.

Especially energy shield melee sorcs.

mmmmmmmm

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Wait, you're a Sin, you have one of the best resistance skills out there. Put some points into Fade, it gives something like +60 res or something.

*edit*Don't know how accurate this is, at this point I question the numbers of everything in Diablo, but it'll at least give you a rough idea of what you'll be getting. One important thing to note for Fade, is that it will cancel Burst of Speed and vica versa. You can't have both active at the same time. Do note though, that both have their uses (BoS to move around quickly or on bosses where you have resists covered).

http://diablo.wikia.com/wiki/Fade

lordswing on
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Rakai wrote: »
    So yeah, we're still working on the patch. It's coming along really well. We're getting there. I can't give an estimate or date, we're expecting there to be a good amount of testing required due to the types of changes being made. We want to take our time and put out a solid patch, and that means we don't have a release date right now.

Some exciting news - and it also may be some comfort - due to the types of changes we're making we will be offering the Diablo II 1.13 patch for testing and feedback on a test realm before its release. We'll have more information about how you'll be able to help test it in the coming weeks.

So it looks like the reset is at least a month away given that it hasn't entered testing and that it has to make a test realm appearance.

This is actually fairly exciting, since Blizzard doing a beta version of the patch tends to mean it's going to be huge. At this point, I'm half-expecting something as big and game-changing as 1.10.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    korodullin wrote: »

This is actually fairly exciting, since Blizzard doing a beta version of the patch tends to mean it's going to be huge. At this point, I'm half-expecting something as big and game-changing as 1.10.

*crosses fingers for every class getting a new fourth tech tree*

emnmnme on
  • Options
    themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I always enjoyed being a paladin with max meditation with a bunch of casters.

Especially energy shield melee sorcs.

mmmmmmmm

I like the blind TP/ES sorc. That's the only character I made it past Mephisto in Hell on hardcore with. I know you can make it through hell with a fishymancer but I've heard it is slow and boring.

themightypuck on
    “Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    korodullin wrote: »

YOU HAVE JINXED US ALL

Diablo II Version History

- Patch 1.13

- Added 10 New Runewords (actually 7)

:D

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Wow, I don't know what happened, but I have displayed disinterest in this game almost immediately. I don't know what happened.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Yeah that happens. Then you start again in a few months, or leave and never return D:

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'm hoping I can get my feet wet during the no mans land between announcement of the ladder reset and said reality. I figure one to three months. I'm kind of excited that I finally got D2 to work on my MacBook.

themightypuck on
    “Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Zon died at level 24 think i'm going to call that my last zon till D3 if they have them.

Had a +14 Max damage jewel on her to. And a berserker's helm.. few goodies it's a shame.

Ringmaster on
    Diablo 2 - Sinuath
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Ringmaster wrote: »
    Zon died at level 24 think i'm going to call that my last zon till D3 if they have them.

Had a +14 Max damage jewel on her to. And a berserker's helm.. few goodies it's a shame.

nooooo, were you KBP?

lordswing on
  • Options
    PurpledonkeyPurpledonkey Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Hey. I just re-acquired Diablo 2 and LoD recently and am interested in trying some online play. I have one or two problems tho. before I go any farther is this the right place for trouble shooting said problems or should I seek help else where first?

Purpledonkey on
  • Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I think someone here can likely help you. It couldn't hurt to ask, certainly.

Grislo on
    This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    PurpledonkeyPurpledonkey Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Cheers. First problem: I downloaded the newest patch from Blizzard.com but it still wont let me play without the disc. This might be due to the nature of the download which brings me to the second problem.
    When I attempt to log on to Battlenet it tells me my CD key has been disable. I have a feeling all this is because the of LoD CD key I used which was obtained thru "non official" means if you catch my drift. Any one got a solution?

Purpledonkey on
  • Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    For the first one, simply move the .mpg files from the cd to your main D2 folder.

For the second one, if you bought from that site I can't remember the name of, but which is mentioned throughout this thread, you can contact them and they'll send you a new key, I believe.

Grislo on
    This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.