As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Dragonica: Paris Strikes Back] Improved EXP gain! Finally!

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Archers seem to be underrepresented in the guild.

Aldo on
  • Options
    MumblyfishMumblyfish Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Xanathus wrote: »
    There are too many goddamn mages.
    You're not going to be saying this when you hit the forties, levels take four hours of solid mission runs to achieve, and you're trying to gather a party comprised only of the good classes.

That's when you realise that there are entirely too many Warriors and Assassins. They hang around the mission portals, spamming attacks in the hope that some idiot will be impressed and throw them an invite. They invite themselves to your party, and when you see their class icon appear in the party window you have to go through all the effort of kicking them. They're all cunts.

Mumblyfish on
  • Options
    XanathusXanathus Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    goddamnit aldo why do I keep finding good acolyte equipment

Xanathus on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Any Sylph gloves?

If you have anything left you should just throw it on the auction house. If mages are as overrepresented on IAH as on gPotato then it should net you a nice sum of gold.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Aldo wrote: »
    Any Sylph gloves?

If you have anything left you should just throw it on the auction house. If mages are as overrepresented on IAH as on gPotato then it should net you a nice sum of gold.
    I just found 2 bunneh robes and a butterfly wing.

The thing about gold in this game is that it's pretty worthless because you start gaining exponentially more gold as you level up so to me it's much more valuable to keep them for trading with set items that I want. Also the fact that the auction house thing is useless for me as I do not want to leave the game running when I'm not playing.

edit: doh I figured out why I couldn't sell anything on the trade menu earlier, you have to click on the Open Shop button after you're done setting up your items.

Xanathus on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Not really. The Acolyte and Oracle sets are terrible.

Using normal equipment over the set results in one hell of a damage boost. And normal equipment is a lot easier to get your hands on.

Mumblyfish on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I just found 2 bunneh robes and a butterfly wing.

The thing about gold in this game is that it's pretty worthless because you start gaining exponentially more gold as you level up so to me it's much more valuable to keep them for trading with set items that I want. Also the fact that the auction house thing is useless for me as I do not want to leave the game running when I'm not playing.
    The butterfly wing and bunneh robe I wouldn't mind, could you send them to me?

Also: I don't know how much I'll be playing this game, as the summer vacation is approaching I will finally have time to put more effort into LOTRO and I still have Mirror's Edge, Prince of Persia and Red Alert 3 lying here and I wanted to buy some other games as well, including Drakensang.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Mumblyfish wrote: »
    Not really. The Acolyte and Oracle sets are terrible.

Using normal equipment over the set results in one hell of a damage boost. And normal equipment is a lot easier to get your hands on.
    Oh, uhm. okay.

I hope you aren't getting jaded with the game, dude. It seems you and your friends are playing the fuck out of this and I can't help but notice you are getting rather frustrated by the lack of class balance and some other faults.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Haha, I can see where you would get that. The class balance, and lack of balance in general - have I talked about the truly awful mission progression yet? - is frustrating. But the game is ultimately still fun enough for me to clock a few hours a day and love it. I'm one of the few lucky people that never actually looks at their experience bar. I'm just enjoying playing the game, and sometimes a level up takes me by surprise.

I'm trying to impart some wisdom, and I'm doing a pretty bad job of it. That's all! I'll try again:

Do not play either of the Warriors or an Assassin; if you are one, seriously consider cutting your losses and starting a new character. Pure damage output is all that matters, and these classes are at the very bottom of the food chain. As you reach the higher levels, you will find that the smarter party leaders will only take you when there are no other classes available - preferably a Mage or a Jester. The disparity between these classes and the Mages and Jesters only increases with each level.

Do not bother collecting armour sets. For PvE, there are very few stats that matter, and those are the ones that increase your damage output. In order of importance: Aim rate, strength/intelligence, critical damage, agility, critical rate. Battlemages - currently the best class by quite a margin - have perfect accuracy, so they can forgo aim rate. You may notice that armour sets are not very generous with these stats.

The best way to pile these stats on is to collect white items and soul enchant them up to green - the safe level. If you're lucky, you'll get an item with aim rate or strength/intelligence. The odds are against you. That's why the armour sets are bad; they are potentially the best items, but the odds of getting a good enchantment on them are staggering.

Mumblyfish on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    <3

The set bonus of Sylph does give me +8 INT, that's worth something, isn't it? I'm only at White Tooth and I already feel that warriors are useless. All their hammering puts so much special effects on my screen that I can't see what the boss is doing any more. Really annoying.

Oh by the way: have you found out anything about hidden classes at lev30?

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    The set bonus of Sylph does give me +8 INT.
    At your level you can get... up to 5 INT from one item enchantment, I believe. So the 8 INT bonus for collecting however many pieces is either mediocre or outright terrible, depending on how many pieces it requires. It'd be average if it were a two-piece bonus, but if memory serves that's not so.

At level 40, from my equipment alone (no skills included) I have +86 intelligence - my equipment accounting for a whopping 40% of my intelligence - and +14 aim rate. That's wearing mostly level 30 equipment, with a few level 40 and the odd level 20 piece. That, sadly, blows the set clean out of the water.
    Oh by the way: have you found out anything about hidden classes at lev30?
    No, but I'd put money on them not being implemented yet. Somebody must have been nuts enough to try to unlock one by now. Yet, we've seen nothing of them, not even from the Chinese or Korean players.

Mumblyfish on
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    No one has asked for invite powers yet. We need a volunteer that's available.

They also need to speak up here so I can promote them. :^:

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Having 1 healing skill puts me in an interesting position: all of a sudden I get 'heal plz' in the middle of a boss fight.

No dear Assassin, just because you get slammed in the face because you fail at dodging does not mean I'm going to break my 200 combo and stand still for 3 seconds.

t Mumbly: hmm, duly noted. :^:

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Combos stop contributing to your score after 150.

Xanathus on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Combos stop contributing to your score after 150.
    ...oh.

Damn.

Could have healed her, then.

Aldo on
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Yeah after 150 you want to start a new combo.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    Who-PsydWho-Psyd Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Mumblyfish wrote: »
    Haha, I can see where you would get that. The class balance, and lack of balance in general - have I talked about the truly awful mission progression yet? - is frustrating. But the game is ultimately still fun enough for me to clock a few hours a day and love it. I'm one of the few lucky people that never actually looks at their experience bar. I'm just enjoying playing the game, and sometimes a level up takes me by surprise.

I'm trying to impart some wisdom, and I'm doing a pretty bad job of it. That's all! I'll try again:

Do not play either of the Warriors or an Assassin; if you are one, seriously consider cutting your losses and starting a new character. Pure damage output is all that matters, and these classes are at the very bottom of the food chain. As you reach the higher levels, you will find that the smarter party leaders will only take you when there are no other classes available - preferably a Mage or a Jester. The disparity between these classes and the Mages and Jesters only increases with each level.

Do not bother collecting armour sets. For PvE, there are very few stats that matter, and those are the ones that increase your damage output. In order of importance: Aim rate, strength/intelligence, critical damage, agility, critical rate. Battlemages - currently the best class by quite a margin - have perfect accuracy, so they can forgo aim rate. You may notice that armour sets are not very generous with these stats.

The best way to pile these stats on is to collect white items and soul enchant them up to green - the safe level. If you're lucky, you'll get an item with aim rate or strength/intelligence. The odds are against you. That's why the armour sets are bad; they are potentially the best items, but the odds of getting a good enchantment on them are staggering.
    Was starting to get the feeling Assassin was a bad choice, even at Thief I have trouble getting a combo going with Hammer Spam and Mages literally Normal Attacking the whole time, Also Ranged Stunlock. Died so fast so many times cause I have to be in their face and get slammed by an entire group of Ranged at once.

Who-Psyd on
  • Options
    quaigyquaigy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Supposedly, the Mirmydon is a great damage dealer, but that's post 40.

quaigy on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Infidel wrote: »
    Yeah after 150 you want to start a new combo.
    Not at all. Getting S-Ranks is super-easy. As an Oracle, I never reset my combo and I facetank everything. Getting hit a whole lot ain't no thang. Since the S-Rank requirements are so generous, it's far, far preferable to keep the 50% experience bonus from a 100+ combo for as long as possible.

Mumblyfish on
  • Options
    ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Do you guys use items alot? I feel like I'm always low on HP/MP (mostly MP) as a Thief. :\ It's hard to optimize the air combos.

Zetx on
    76561197966849367.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Zetx wrote: »
    Do you guys use items alot? I feel like I'm always low on HP/MP (mostly MP) as a Thief. :\ It's hard to optimize the air combos.
    i use fruit/drinks a lot. There's no reason to save them up, considering how easy it is to get more.

Aldo on
  • Options
    NerdtendoNerdtendo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Up and running (again).

Decided to go mage this time. Didn't like it too much last time I tried. But I've noticed that I'm doing some pretty insane damage already.

Nerdtendo on
    IHZR47b.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Stick with it. Once you get to Mage 9 you will be dealing good, safe area of effect damage. Then, once you get to Acolyte 20 or Battlemage 27, you will completely break the fucking game, like a twig under your magical ten-tonne giant boot.

Mumblyfish on
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Well now that's some bullshit. Whenever I try to open up the client to patch, it stops at 'Get Client List' and then not budge at all. I waited 15 minutes staring at the damn thing, and then even turned off my firewall, but still no go.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    anyone want to add me?

INSTALLATION SUCCESSFUL. HAPPY DRAGONICA :D

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Lag was really bad for me tonight on IAH-Kaye.

But on the bright side I found out that Archer is awesome.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    HarlonHarlon Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Anyone on right now? Name's Iome, ~10 Archer

Harlon on
    3DS FC 1048-9228-8841
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Arthil wrote: »
    Well now that's some bullshit. Whenever I try to open up the client to patch, it stops at 'Get Client List' and then not budge at all. I waited 15 minutes staring at the damn thing, and then even turned off my firewall, but still no go.

Hm, I'm at this.

edit- mine just started working. dunno if it helped, but i clicked the "home" on the top right... and also, task manager shows the CPU usage for the patcher pretty high before anything happens...

also, here's a manual patch links:

Did you try to manual patch? If no, download the manual patch here and follow the instruction in here to patch

1. http://downloads.iahgames.com/dragonica/DGN_ManualPatch_0.0.1_to_0.1.13.exe
    2. http://dragonica.iahgames.com/news/newsArticle.aspx?id=83

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'd say archers would be awesomer if the bit of lag I had didn't mean losing my combo once I tried to launch enemies in the air.

Infidel: I'm up for some invite powers.

Dac Vin on
  • Options
    CrapfestivalCrapfestival Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Dac Vin wrote: »
    I'd say archers would be awesomer if the bit of lag I had didn't mean losing my combo once I tried to launch enemies in the air.

Might just be the archer bug. Sometimes, your combos start getting reset whenever you launch enemies into the air as one. I think it can be fixed by restarting the client.

Crapfestival on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Ok someone whatever me.

PikaPuff, Faye, Channel 3, Archer

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Might just be the archer bug. Sometimes, your combos start getting reset whenever you launch enemies into the air as one. I think it can be fixed by restarting the client.

Archwha? o_O

Also from anyone with a Jester now, is air comboing just as impossible as with the thief? I swear to god, the ONLY enemies I can combo regularly are either scrappies or jellies. Everything else is pure luck as if I will hit them.

Dac Vin on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    can't get xpadder or [strike]joy2key[/strike] to work on IAH

n/m j2k works i didn't realize chat was up

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Heh, I did the same thing earlier.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Archwha? o_O

Also from anyone with a Jester now, is air comboing just as impossible as with the thief? I swear to god, the ONLY enemies I can combo regularly are either scrappies or jellies. Everything else is pure luck as if I will hit them.

If by air combos you mean just the aerial frenzy skill, then yeah it's lag dependant. That's because if there's a bit of lag, your skill usage may not register with the server so the enemy ends up falling through your spin.

When you switch to jester you'll eventually stop using it but I'm still using it as a way to rack up combos and it's a cheap way to finish off enemies.

Xanathus on
  • Options
    mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    did somebody say invite powers? hell, i'll volunteer, even with less time to play i get in a good 4-5 hours a day

mensch-o-matic on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    oh joy. level 10'ish and already getting 0 invites as archer XD. Time to party with warriors and thieves.

what's everyone's j2k setup? I use a 360 controller.

x y
    a b

is like

x == skill 1, y == AA skill/Z
    a == normal, b == attack jump

LB == space(start quest), RB == F1(accept quest)
    "select" == skill 2 (potion), "start" == enter (to kill accidental chats)

and that's it. so the only custom stuff i have room for is skill 1 and skill 2. :| can't remember if j2k allows toggles, but i'll probably set up the shoulder buttons as toggles and let me add more skill slots as LT + x/y/a/b and RT + x/y/a/b will keeping everything else the same

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    there's a possibility that people just don't know how to create parties or invite, try taking the lead and starting one and inviting them instead

also if you're still doing the first two wolf mission maps, you can easily solo them instead of taking on a party

Xanathus on
  • Options
    NerdtendoNerdtendo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Oh yeah, Mage's name is Trina.

Nerdtendo on
    IHZR47b.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    there's a possibility that people just don't know how to create parties or invite, try taking the lead and starting one and inviting them instead

also if you're still doing the first two wolf mission maps, you can easily solo them instead of taking on a party

While easy, I'd say it's a lot longer if you're one of the crappier classes like archer.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png