As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PS3 Games suggestions thread!

124»

• Options
    Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Any chance of it starting up again?

Muddy Water on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I really enjoyed Warhawk, but it's got a hell of a learning curve. I was never able to learn how to actually use the aircraft effectively due to being annihilated as soon as I took off, and the infantry combat was a tad too fast for me and I my kill/death ratio was really erratic.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    MalechaiMalechai Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Heh KDR is only for bragging if you let it get you down your not having fun. Besides the only time it actualy matters is in a DM game. At my height of playing the game my play style was borderline suicidal. I remember one time on desert combat zones I had set up a BFG on the enemies home flag and was basicly dodging rockets and grenades while flamethrowering down the whole other team as they tried in vain to get their points to flow again. Finaly some one droped a tow missle on me but not before I got the hit list trophy on a 32 man server.

Yeah I miss our weekly get togethers but man I got some serrious rust to knock off.

Malechai on
    sig5ez4.jpg
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Personally, if I play an action game and consistently end with like 2 or 3 kills only, it annoys the shit out of me.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Well that typicaly only happens when the server randomly puts 2/3 of the strong players on one team. It realy is anoying about the only way to acomplish anything in that situation is hit and run with the lightning gun and cloak. I realy wish there was a way to turn off certain weapons like air mines tow missles and binoculars. They are realy only good for kicking a team when they're down.

Malechai on
    sig5ez4.jpg
  • Options
    firekiunfirekiun Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I don't really like many of the PSN games, they felt like HD version of the flash game that I can dl for free, except for the "full games" like Warhawks. I wouldn't recommend them over full retail games.

Let's assume if you have a PC already, so I won't suggest games that's also on PC.

Valkyria Chronicles is boring in the first 4 levels, it looks mindless and too much reading. However, after the beginning is over, the actual strategy part actually kicks in, you have to plan every moves carefully where 1 misstep will cost you. You will also got to purchase upgrades, bonus story, parts for your plan, new orders, more recruits, different talents, bonus level/story, huge cast where they all have their high/low and useful in different situation. The story also hold its own against most Anime.

Uncharted, its impressive, the climbing and exploring actually really fun, control is perfect, you will master it the first few minute you start the level. The last level did not focus must on exploring, I never finish that level.

Blazblue, get it now, SF4 online is trash compare to this game, best online experience ever, and its new.

MGS4, I don't know why people say the story is confusing, it end the series pretty good. You can either stealth all level or going all Rambo all everyone. Its fun if you have some MGS background, don't need to beat all previous games, just at least know the characters, otherwise you won't know wth is going on.

Killzone 2, the demo was fun, never play the full games, too little time.

Eternal Sonata, I really fall asleep while playing, lucky I rented the game.

Folklore, I really had fun playing this game. You don't see much games like this anymore, so play it now that you have the chance.

firekiun on
    PSN ID : Kiunch

I play Blazblue, Soul Calibur 4, Street Fighter 4 and soon Tekken 6... yeah... so add me if you want to play any of those.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    firekiun wrote: »
    I don't really like many of the PSN games, they felt like HD version of the flash game that I can dl for free, except for the "full games" like Warhawks. I wouldn't recommend them over full retail games.

Let's assume if you have a PC already, so I won't suggest games that's also on PC.

Valkyria Chronicles is boring in the first 4 levels, it looks mindless and too much reading. However, after the beginning is over, the actual strategy part actually kicks in, you have to plan every moves carefully where 1 misstep will cost you. You will also got to purchase upgrades, bonus story, parts for your plan, new orders, more recruits, different talents, bonus level/story, huge cast where they all have their high/low and useful in different situation. The story also hold its own against most Anime.

Uncharted, its impressive, the climbing and exploring actually really fun, control is perfect, you will master it the first few minute you start the level. The last level did not focus must on exploring, I never finish that level.

Blazblue, get it now, SF4 online is trash compare to this game, best online experience ever, and its new.

MGS4, I don't know why people say the story is confusing, it end the series pretty good. You can either stealth all level or going all Rambo all everyone. Its fun if you have some MGS background, don't need to beat all previous games, just at least know the characters, otherwise you won't know wth is going on.

Killzone 2, the demo was fun, never play the full games, too little time.

Eternal Sonata, I really fall asleep while playing, lucky I rented the game.

Folklore, I really had fun playing this game. You don't see much games like this anymore, so play it now that you have the chance.

Serriously now, this game has robbed me of half this week and my thumb. If you care about fighting games at all you should check it out.

Malechai on
    sig5ez4.jpg
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Pfft, thumb.

Get a fight stick. :P

Actually, the pad works pretty well.

Also, just got MGS4 for free. I don't know if I want to continue from where I left off or play blazblue.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I went looking for decent PS3 games with local co-op the other day and the best we could find at Blockbuster was Haze. I was amazed that even Killzone 2 lacks it.

Are there many?

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Willeth wrote: »
    I went looking for decent PS3 games with local co-op the other day and the best we could find at Blockbuster was Haze. I was amazed that even Killzone 2 lacks it.

Are there many?
    If you're not looking for exclusives that Marvel: Ultimate Alliance has single-screen coop. And the LEGO games.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    It's academic now really, as it was to play with a friend who was over for the weekend. Ideally I was looking for exclusives because hell, the only reason we were playing on the PS3 was because my 360 is boxed up ready to be shipped to the repair centre and it makes more sense to play an exclusive than not.

We ended up with Haze, but I really do not recommend it. We played a few levels in and ditched it in favour of LittleBigPlanet, which he loved, surprisingly enough.

Willeth on
  • Options
    lilBlilB Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    It's academic now really, as it was to play with a friend who was over for the weekend. Ideally I was looking for exclusives because hell, the only reason we were playing on the PS3 was because my 360 is boxed up ready to be shipped to the repair centre and it makes more sense to play an exclusive than not.

We ended up with Haze, but I really do not recommend it. We played a few levels in and ditched it in favour of LittleBigPlanet, which he loved, surprisingly enough.

Little Big Planet can get very cool if you have lots of free time to mess around with the level editor :P
    I have been playing a lot of Resistance 2 co-op. It's fun and you can log in with multiple PSN accounts on one PS3 (split screen), and BOTH players earn points. You can also form groups across multiple PS3s and jump between different servers without being separated. Very cool. If this is a sign of things to come... :mrgreen:

lilB on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    lilB wrote: »

Little Big Planet can get very cool if you have lots of free time to mess around with the level editor :P
    I have been playing a lot of Resistance 2 co-op. It's fun and you can log in with multiple PSN accounts on one PS3 (split screen), and BOTH players earn points. You can also form groups across multiple PS3s and jump between different servers without being separated. Very cool. If this is a sign of things to come... :mrgreen:
    What, really? R2 has local campaign co-op? I wish I'd seen that one.

As to a sign of things to come, has anyone else noticed that the Uncharted 2 beta hacks together cross-game invite functionality?

Willeth on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote: »
    As for the YLoD, I wouldn't worry about it. My PS3 YLoD'd 3 times (the second and third within a week of getting it back) but they're generally caused by overheating in old PS3's. Newer PS3's have smaller chips, so they don't overheat as easily.

...how new are we talking here?

I own an 80GB PS3 with software BC. Is that old or new? o_O

Old. The new ones are the 40/80GB PS3's without PS2 BC, they've got 65nm Cell and RSX chips in them, which doesn't generate as much heat as the 90nm ones in the other PS3's. That doesn't mean yours is destined to YLoD though, just make sure it doesn't get super dusty and don't keep it in a confined area while running.

The first two times they "fixed" my PS3, they apparently just formatted the HDD and sent it back. When it YLoD'd each time, they finally got the clue and replaced the BD drive, which seemed to fix it completely. It's been running properly for 3-4 weeks now so I really hope it continues to do so.

...well, I'm screwed.

Of the three people I know personally who own PS3s, one of them suffered the Blu-ray Drive failure that basically turns your PS3 into a very heavy paperweight that can access PSN. Up till now, I was terrified that this was going to happen.

I've had 3 PS2s die from underneath me in 5 years before I decided "fuck this noise", and bought a used PS3 for what I believed was a reasonable price.

So apparently, the only way to get BC, which is, presently, a good 80% of the reason I own a PS3 (I'm a bit tight for cash, and only own 1 PS3 game, with about 5 PS2 games I still play) is to have a chip which is more likely to overheat and potentially kill it. I keep it in an open-backed cabinet underneath my TV.

*huddles in a corner, whimpering*

I have a launch 60 GB. It runs folding 24/7 and it gets fucking hot. It's never skipped a beat though. Just keep it in an open, well ventilated area and dust it regularly.

lilB on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

Yeah. It's fucking sweet. Me and my roommate play it all the time. It's worth playing because we can use our own PSN accounts simultaneously and therefore both earn points in a match while using split screen. It's voice activated chat and so we have the rock band mic set up so we can both talk with other players too. You need at least 3 players in CO-OP though, (no offline co-op) so you have to find other players online but its really easy.

lilB on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

Yeah. It's fucking sweet. Me and my roommate play it all the time. It's worth playing because we can use our own PSN accounts simultaneously and therefore both earn points in a match while using split screen. It's voice activated chat and so we have the rock band mic set up so we can both talk with other players too. You need at least 3 players in CO-OP though, (no offline co-op) so you have to find other players online but its really easy.

Well it's mildly possible to pull off 2 player co-op but definatly easier with all 3 classes. Cause your either going to take a long time, die alot or be compleatly dependant on random ammo drops and die alot.

Malechai on
    sig5ez4.jpg
  • Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Actually R2 has local coop, but it really isn't a campaign. Its a series of missions. Its a lot of fun.

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    firekiun wrote: »
    Uuh? Are we looking at the same PSN? Maybe the two tower defense games threw you off? Or PopCap's recent offerings? There are some weak offerings just like there are on XBLA and Steam, but there's some high quality shit you can get for five or ten dollars that is far more than just a spruced up flash game.

Also I'm not sure if this has been mentioned here but it deserves mention again: If you've ever liked action RPGs in your god damn life, you must have Demon's Souls. You simply must have it. It is the most compelling reason to own a PS3.

JAEF on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    greeble wrote: »

Actually R2 has local coop, but it really isn't a campaign. Its a series of missions. Its a lot of fun.

Oh, okay. It's not quite what we were looking for, but it's probably worth noting for next time we're stuck without Rock Band :D

Willeth on
  • Options
    Toxin01Toxin01 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Well, my sister and I sat down with Army of Two after I convinced her just to give it a try (All she plays is The Sims), and to the suprise of both of us, she does actually like it. We're about half-way done with it so far, and I enjoy listening to her talk about the paper-thin plot in this game. ("Oh great, it's that crazy guy that tried to blow us up in the beginning, I thought they said we didn't have to work with him again.")

So are there any other Co-op games for her and I to try? She's not exactly a gaming expert or anything, so I'd rule out fighters since they tend to be pretty vicious online. Also no Resistance, I just can't get into those at all.

Toxin01 on
    Aiden Baail: Level 1 Swordmage: 19 AC 14 Fort 15 Ref 13 Will (Curse Of The Black Pearls)
    GM: Rusty Chains (DH Ongoing)
  • Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    My Siren: Blood Curse arrived yesterday and it's pretty awesome. Haven't been this jumpy from a horror game in a while. Get an import because the US version is censored.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    SAW776SAW776 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So, my fiance is really enjoying Folklore--the running sort of free worldness mixed with the beating things up in a not too difficult manner.

What are some games that have similar gameplay?

SAW776 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PSN: SAW776
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Toxin01 wrote: »
    Well, my sister and I plopped down with Army of Two after I convinced her just to give it a try (All she plays is The Sims), and to the suprise of both of us, she does actually like it. We're about half-way done with it so far, and I enjoy listening to her talk about the paper-thin plot in this game. ("Oh great, it's that crazy guy that tried to blow us up in the beginning, I thought they said we didn't have to work with him again.")

So are there any other Co-op games for her and I to try? She's not exactly a gaming expert or anything, so I'd rule out fighters since they tend to be pretty vicious online. Also no Resistance, I just can't get into those at all.

Resident Evil 5 comes immediately to mind. It's pretty much the only way to play the game, the AI partner SUCKS. Also, Rainbow Six Vegas 2 and GRAW2 had pretty good co-op campaigns.

As for the guy that said that PSN games are HD versions of flash games, that's got to be the dumbest post in this thread. Please show me flash games that compare to even half the stuff on the PSN, let alone the best games on it (like Flower, PixelJunk Eden, Lumines Supernova, Super Stardust HD and Bionic Commando Rearmed).

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Well, my sister and I sat down with Army of Two after I convinced her just to give it a try (All she plays is The Sims), and to the suprise of both of us, she does actually like it. We're about half-way done with it so far, and I enjoy listening to her talk about the paper-thin plot in this game. ("Oh great, it's that crazy guy that tried to blow us up in the beginning, I thought they said we didn't have to work with him again.")

The usual recommendations are winners: The Pixeljunk Duo (Eden, Monsters) will serve you well here. Also Super Stardust HD is incredibly easy to hop into and has either split or same screen coop.

JAEF on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    JAEF wrote: »

The usual recommendations are winners: The Pixeljunk Duo (Eden, Monsters) will serve you well here. Also Super Stardust HD is incredibly easy to hop into and has either split or same screen coop.

I don't have access to PSN.

Toxin01 on
    Aiden Baail: Level 1 Swordmage: 19 AC 14 Fort 15 Ref 13 Will (Curse Of The Black Pearls)
  • Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    By chance, does anyone know of a way to disable the startup and shutdown beeps of the PS3? It causes problems for our dog.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I doubt you can change the beeps. Seems to be a low level thing tied to the hardware.

greeble on

I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'm not opposed to cracking the case open to disable it. It drives the dog nuts. She will wake up from the dead of sleep with a look like her hair is standing up backwards and leave the room.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Would it be improper to ask for you to explain this to me? You're using the internet right now. How are you doing so and what is preventing you from extending the same courtesy to the PS3?

JAEF on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    JAEF wrote: »
    Would it be improper to ask for you to explain this to me? You're using the internet right now. How are you doing so and what is preventing you from extending the same courtesy to the PS3?

We have no wifi, and all our computers are in the basement. My dad keeps the PS3 in the living room (It's his) and refuses to have it moved.

Toxin01 on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I would invest in either a wireless router or if that is too expensive something cheap like a usb wifi adapter and run internet connection sharing on your computer.

Here is a usb adapter for $15.70. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833156152

Tell your dad you will be able to use the PS3 video rental service if you need to sell him on it. (Prices aren't great, but fairly standard for new movies. HD quality is very good)

greeble on

• Options
    edited July 2009
    If your father is exceptionally unreasonable and there are appropriate connection jacks, just take the fucking modem and put it in the living room for an hour or two while you grab a game. Or spend $5-10 on a cable you can run to it from the basement if there aren't.

Or yes, you could just pick up a wireless router. It seems you have money to spend on games like army of two, so this shouldn't be too much of a problem.

JAEF on
  • Options
    EvilMonkeyEvilMonkey Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    SAW776 wrote: »
    So, my fiance is really enjoying Folklore--the running sort of free worldness mixed with the beating things up in a not too difficult manner.

What are some games that have similar gameplay?
    Haven't played Folklore yet but as I'm currently addicted to Fallout I'd have to say set it up on very easy (to start) and let her loose in the wasteland...unless the environment is too depressing?

EvilMonkey on
    [PSN: SciencePiggy] [Steam]