As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cats: Definitely NOT trying to kill us all...

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I want a Russian Blue

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Duffel wrote: »
    $22,000 my ass

No pet is worth that much even if it was real

feh... don't look at the 85,000 dollar dog they're selling then...

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Sentry wrote: »
    $22,000 my ass

No pet is worth that much even if it was real

feh... don't look at the 85,000 dollar dog they're selling then...

Hey, I never said it would actually happen. There are many better things to spend 22k on.

My family had a cat that was at least part main coone. Near the end of his life he began to wake up early just to watch the sunrise. He would also splash his water dish just to watch the reflections. All his life we thought he was rather dim. Turns out his was just zen.

chamberlain on
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Well you guys have done it. It seems like my cat is going to be getting a friend. I've resisted forever, because I just feel like I don't have the space, but all these pictures and stuff are making me think twice. I don't really need more SPACE, and as far as cost goes, I feel like it will be worth it. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

This is Linus.
    3685118855_7115684295.jpg

Most who see him think he must have a blanket, or we're really into Charlie Brown, but only I know the real reason we named him Linus. Benjamin Linus.

Linus was adopted after a full year of my girlfriend begging me for a cat. I had one once in college, and it was sad because I just couldn't handle it. I was in a band, touring, and just couldn't keep coming home to clean the litter, and all that, and ended up giving him to a family friend who still sends me pictures of Bones. But I miss Bones, and was sad I couldn't make it work. So I was very hesitant.

She wanted a 'tiger kitty' like she had when she was little, and we were in a PetSmart, that had a section rented out to a local adoption agency, and she saw Linus. He was asleep. She melted, and therefore I caved. He came home to us at the ripe age of 6 months.

He was a cute kitty. VERY quiet, very fun. Woke me up daily by licking at my 5 o'clock shadow. I have an awesome video I need to find of him STANDING on my Rock Band drums, while I'm drumming at full speed, trying to swat the sticks. He was an active little dude, and was a pleasant suprise. I didnt think I'd ever really 'bond' with him, I thought he'd be my girlfriend's cat and we'd co-exist. I was mistaken.

Then - disaster struck. His litterbox room (sidenote - the crux of my argumenet AGAINST getting a cat was that my girlfriend COULDNT have a cat at her place, so it would need to stay at mine. I didn't want that, but obviously I caved.) was a side room with horrible insulation, so as winter rolled in, we had to change it. I couldn't find ANYWHERE else in the house I wanted it, so we started the great toilet training experiment. Long story short? Linus and I were not friends. He ruined 2 couches, pooped on the floor, and at one point managed to pee in the kitchen, so I put him in the bathroom to clean. I cleaned, opened the bathroom to find a poop on the floor, and he darted into the living room, where he vomited on my guitar. Much yelling ensued.

So it was bad times. We almost got rid of him and I had horrible flashbacks to getting rid of Bones, but I couldn't take having to throw out couches and clean up piss all day while my girlfriend just popped in to see him whenever. After a lot of talking and stress, we gave Linus his own room upstairs, and I said that was where he'd stay. I felt mean - but mentally I couldn't take it anymore, but hated the thought of making him stay in one room. It was just that the cost of cleaning up and replacing things he ruined was making it impossible to me. But finally I cleaned out a room that was storage, and he got his own room. And his room was bigger than MINE! We decked it out with toys and his litterbox and food, and it had a big window. You'd hear him pulling the carpet under the door when he wanted to play - and his cuteness got to me. After about 4 days, I decided to let Linus roam the house again under direct supervision.

After some time, Linus and I became friends again, and one of my little secrets was how much I loved Friday nights with him. I was the big, tough guy with him when my girlfriend was around, but every Friday night when I'd get home from work, I'd lay on the couch and watch the TV I'd missed during the week. Linus would always come up and sleep on my chest.

I moved recently, and Linus is a whole new cat. He's 1 and a half now, and is so much more relaxed. He's my little boy now, and I love having him around. I felt a lot of guilt for yelling at him, and making him stay in a room, but it was never because I was mean - it was because I didn't know what to do. I knew trying to toilet train him was a huge mistake, but I didn't know what to do next. How to get him to stop ruining all my stuff. It gradually worked itself out and we're great pals.

It does get me sad though that he seems like he's "too good" for me now. No more waking me up, no more sleeping in my bed (just under it, or at the foot of it), and he usually wants his own space on the couch for Friday TV - not on my chest anymore. He's still a little curious, and gets bopped in the head with a WiiMote every now and then for darting out from nowhere to grab the wriststrap, but overall he's mellowed a lot. This thread has me thinking that maybe now that life is good, my new place is more accomodating to a cat, and I'm mentally finally used to cats and loving it - maybe Linus needs a buddy to get him up and being more active. I mean, even his favorite toys are now enjoyed as he lays on his side. If he has to get up, it's usually not too worth it to him. So maybe a little pal will get him back to his old form.

Also - he is shedding like a fucking maniac. I groom him as much as I can, and I have no idea how he's not bald. We know he's at least half maine coon, and they're shedders, but this is out of control. I have tumbleweeds now. But he's still my buddy.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Cats shedding are why I have to replace my sheets every night, instead of maybe once a week.

yalborap on
  • Options
    lazegamerlazegamer The magnanimous cyberspaceRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    No cat thread is complete without a visit from Percival (hailing from Sinfest).

2009-04-07.gif

2009-01-26.gif

2009-01-27.gif

lazegamer on
    I would download a car.
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    yalborap wrote: »

Desudesudesudesudesudesudesu

Oh god I'm so sorry
    desugrin.jpg
    Glal wrote: »
    Is it actually real or like those hypoallergenic cats?

AFAIK it's real. It's in the Wikipedia article for odd-eyed cats (a type of heterochromia in felines). All odd-eyed cats have one blue eye (all kittens have blue eyes, according to Wiki, so it never develops into the same color as the other eye).
    I've never seen a cat like that, even in books specifically dedicated to cat breeds.

Well, cats with white coats are more likely to have an odd-eye, but any cat with a specific gene can be odd-eyed. The blue eye in those cats usually exhibit the red-eye effect when you're using a camera's flash, which is why that one is giving you the evil eye ;-) If you don't use the flash you'll get a good shot like this (different cat):

800px-Cat_Eyes.jpg

Mesmerizing.

Anyway, I was mainly curious because the long ears (longer than what counts as large-eared by cat standards) and wanted to know if there was a specific breed with that trait, and figured some cat lovers in here might know :)

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    It's Skitters!
    3161_535203840552_50103185_31752092_5713894_n.jpg

n50103185_31066376_3331.jpg

n50103185_31628249_1539.jpg

The fat little guy was found by my wife a couple years ago. Where ever he came from, the owners had already neutered and declawed him front and back, so while the latter is something we'd never do it has made for an incredibly layed back cat. He doesn't fight, bight, or even struggle which, in all honesty, can be hilarious at times if I decide to roll him across the living room floor. Though I really like him because he's the first cat I've ever had that does actual cat things like play in bags/boxes, crawl into random openings, etc.

Quid on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    We had to bring Sienna to the vet today. She has a sort of anal infection... we noticed she was being kinda bitchy lately, wouldn't sleep with us (she -always- sleeps between our pillows), and was staying in the cat bed or in an easter basket we have in our bathroom. I mean she'd get up and eat/drink, but then it was right to bed.

We've got drugs for her, but sheesh... what a pain. The yowling she was making when they shaved her ass was both sad and hilarious.

The wife wondered why I didn't include Digger in the OP...

digger.jpg

This is Digger. She was an old, angry cat. 100% alpha female. When Sienna was younger, she would try to tackle Digger. Instead, she got pinned to the ground, and Dig would slap her in the face once, walk away, and turn around and glare at Sienna. It was hilarious to watch... it only took a couple weeks to teach Sienna not to fuck with her.

She was a good cat... she started out not really liking anyone but my wife, but she softened up as she got older, and I think really accepted me. She started to get really skinny and was diagnosed with hyperthyroid, which is pretty common in older cats. We had her on medication for about a year, and it started to get worse again. When it got worse, things just went downhill fast. She stopped eating more than a couple bites. Then she started having issues with her equilibrium. We thought it was seizures at first, because she would just go stiff, fall over, and lie still for a second. Then she'd shake herself off and walk away, but the vet was convinced she wasn't having seizures or a stroke.

Then she started gagging, wanting to vomit, but she couldn't. This was on our anniversary, and we brought her to the vet that night. They gave her an IV, and some medicine that would help her tummy, but it didn't. The next day, 18May, we had her put to sleep.

This is the cat that my wife had since she was 8, and she was the one point of stability in her rather messed up childhood. She's still reeling from the loss, and I once in a while go looking for her since she always used to get under the covers with us when we went to sleep. We miss her dearly, and I didn't want to include her in the post just yet. I just wasn't comfortable with it.

Two days before.
    n544260435_7045308_2763852.jpg

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Man, my cat who literally lived to be over 20 got hyperthyroidism in the last couple years of her life.

We talked to the vet, and he said "well, you can give her pills for it, but it's not fun, and it's possible the hyperthyroidism is the only thing keeping her heart from failing (which is also very common in older cats," so we just let her be.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Cats shedding are why I have to replace my sheets every night, instead of maybe once a week.

Just yesterday my mom found the source for why my cat has suddenly been "shedding" big clumps of fur all over the garage. The poor thing is apparently so hot outside that she has taken to biting her fut out to be cool. Apparently not even that is reason enough to let the cat be an indoor cat in my mom's eyes, even if its just for a week or so.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Nappuccino wrote: »

Just yesterday my mom found the source for why my cat has suddenly been "shedding" big clumps of fur all over the garage. The poor thing is apparently so hot outside that she has taken to biting her fut out to be cool. Apparently not even that is reason enough to let the cat be an indoor cat in my mom's eyes, even if its just for a week or so.

Punch your mom in the uterus and bring the cat inside.

yalborap on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    n544260435_7045308_2763852.jpg
    This cat is spectacular.

Quid on
  • Options
    sidhaethesidhaethe Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    This is our baby Silmaril, doing what he does best: laying on his property and surveying his domain. Also likes: going for walks on a leash (he heels!), yowling at doors, and standing up for nuzzles. It seems he has never learned to meow; his only vocalizations are a frustrated "eeeeh!" when he's thwarted, or the food bowl is empty. He also bobbles his head when fixated by something. We suspect he's not all "there."

IMG_0409-1.jpg

This is Silmaril when we brought him home at 7 weeks (with Kleenex box for size comparison):

IMG_0337-1.jpg

And here is big brother Melkor, doing what he does best: laying around on his back demanding to be petted. Also likes: playing fetch, having long conversations with his humans when they get home from work. Although he and Silmaril are only 2 weeks apart in age, Melkor outweighs Sil by at least 3 pounds.

IMG_0398-1.jpg

And fuzzy Melkor at 10 weeks (we do love us some kitten pictures here):

IMG_0346-1.jpg

They love each other.
    IMG_0401-1.jpg

sidhaethe on
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Nappuccino wrote: »

Punch your mom in the uterus and bring the cat inside.

On the bright side, this week has been almost 15 degrees cooler... I don't know. Things like this make me wonder how I survived being a child with her around.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    curious.jpg

This is curious. We got him and his sister, Pouncer, from some friends who couldn't afford to keep him because they were moving around a lot. Pouncer has since been given to someone else (she was a handful) but Curious has stuck around. He's a big, fat, lazy bully who whines incessantly at the table every day during dinner, usually to great success (he loves bleu cheese dressing). When he's really happy, he'll drool like a leaky faucet, and lick your head if it's in reach.

He has 6 toes on all his feet, which I've heard is quite rare, his sister was the same way.
    cougar.jpg

This is Cougar. He's completely insane. Extremely skittish when inside, but confident and assertive outside, he is always getting into fights with our neighbor's cats and local raccoons, and he's come in with some pretty nasty cuts before, but never anything serious. He is very careful about where he sleeps, preferring to sleep outside when it's warm enough. He has a very funny way of sleeping, he'll carefully position himself in a prime spot and then suddenly flop on his side and sprawl out, shifting around more in his sleep. He can run faster than any (house) cat I've ever seen, and has been known to leap a sofa lengthwise in a single bound, probably because he's nothing but skin and bones beneath all that fur.

He sheds like a motherfucker
    tina.jpg

This is Tina, the kitten. My brother gave her to my mom for mother's day last year, and it's been a joy to have her around. She still acts very much like a kitten, especially when out on the lawn. She loves to hunt bugs and has even caught a couple of small birds. She's very careful how she acts around Curious, as he likes to attack her if she gets too close, but it seems to be play, mostly. Her favorite seat is a cat seat set on top of a stool right by the window, seen here:
    DSCN2577.jpg

Recently, she broke her tail in some mysterious accident (probably a fight with a neighbor cat) and was dragging it around limp. We took her to the vet when it started bleeding from being dragged, and it had to be amputated : (
    DSCN2628.jpg

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Xandra is my cat:
    Xandra-2.jpg
    Xandra is four years old, and she'd just had her first (and only) litter of kittens shortly before I adopted her from the local animal shelter three years ago. She's friendly with people (not so much with other cats), but doesn't like being picked up. Her hobby is trying to sneak out when someone opens the door. At my last place, she once ran out the back door when someone had left it open, and then came back half a minute later carrying a mouse in her mouth. My landlord freaked, which caused Xandra to drop the mouse and hide, and fun was had trying to catch and get rid of the critter.

My roommates also have a cat, Lily:
    Lily01.jpg
    Lily is an eight or nine year old tuxedo cat, and she was adopted as an older cat. She's a lot less sociable, and her life is lived in fear and paranoia. Despite living with people for five years, she's extremely wary of people walking in her direction, and anyone who picks her up is liable to be bitten or scratched. However, she likes being petted and starts purring immediately. She's actually sleeping in my cat bed in that picture. I got it for Xandra before I brought her home, but she never had any truck with it. Lily, on the other hand, knew what it was for right away and she'll sleep in it all day during the winter (she doesn't seem to use it in warm weather).

Xandra and Lily don't get along super well. Xandra can't resist bothering Lily, and since my roommate doesn't clip Lily's claws as often, Xandra generally comes out worse for wear. They fight like retards; eyes squeezed shut and looking away, one arm stretched at full extension, flailing blindly. But for most of the day they can just stay out of each other's way.

For a while I had cat grass and catnip growing outside, and the highlight of Lily and Xandra's day was when I'd water the plants in the morning. They would run outside to watch, and stare at the excess flowing out of the little pots. Usually they would drink it, too, until I got an electric water fountain later on. They liked that better, so that put an end to drinking the runoff.
    XandraandLily.jpg

Jazzie is one of the neighbor's cats. We live on a second floor condo, so we put the kitty litter box on the back patio and leave the door ajar for the cats. Jazzie jumps up onto the patio wall of the unit underneath us, and from there onto our back patio and into our condo so that he can drink from the water fountain. Sometimes he'll eat Xandra and Lily's food, too, but he always makes time for a drink. He'll park himself in front of the fountain for up to ten minutes at a stretch and drink without stopping.
    Jazzie01.jpg
    Jazzie will leave the same way he comes in, and thankfully Xandra hasn't twigged onto this trick yet, or else she just thinks it's too far for her to jump (it's like a four or five foot leap).

Orogogus on
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2009
    Thread's making me a little sad. This is Ash:
    ashasleep.jpg
    She's not usually that calm :P. Ash is my flatmate's cat, and they both moved out last week. Now I have no one to chase off the kitchen table or to steal my glasses of water or to hassle me for kitchen scraps...

:(
    ashpostfix.jpg
    Showing a little more life after getting fixed. Hoo boy was she cranky for a few weeks, but it beat her assuming The Position whenever a male entered the house. She wasn't real picky about species D:

Ash wasn't super friendly after kittenhood, but pretty good company. Oh well, at least I can still visit. Also, there's dad's cat:
    billy.jpg
    Billy's awesome, heaps of personality and quite vocal. Also, he's figured out doors. My parents adopted him from friends, because their young girls were freaking him out with the constant squealing and attempts to dress him up. He spent the first couple of months hiding in the linen cupboard, but is now madly in love with dad and pretty okay with the rest of us (he's not so crazy about mum because she laughs really loud and also gives him baths). He may replace us kids in the will.

For some reason he lets my brother treat him like a rag doll, but otherwise he's quite independent (for an indoors-only cat) and will punch you square in the head if you touch his back feet. His nerves do tend to recur at random, he hides under things like coffee tables sometimes, plus he's a picky eater and will sometimes puke for no apparent reason. We forgive him. He is at war with the dining room rug and vows to defeat it someday.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I have a goat

Picture18.jpg

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Lifestyle Pets disgusts me

TITAN protection dog (a trained german shepherd)

or for $35 000 more you get TITAN Ultra

Plenty of talk of other pets being "inferior"

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I always thought goats were the best, but a goat in a woolly jumper is clearly superior.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Floppy ears!

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    exisexis Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    daisy.jpg

This was Daisy. We got her from my ex-piano teacher/local crazy cat lady when I was 7. For some reason I was under the impression that my teacher's cats were all named after flowers (the few I'd met had been), which later turned out to be false, but I named her accordingly. She was very small, and very timid. She grew comfortable with my sister and I, but not really anyone else, and would always disappear when any strangers were around.

My family's place is on the edge of city/farmland, so there was a heap of space for her. She'd disappear off into the bushes for ages and occasionally come back with birds/mice. From the road at the front of our property, you could sometimes see a blur of bright white dashing furiously across the hill leading up to our house. She stuck out like a sore thumb.

A few years ago my sister brought home a kitten, without having spoken to anyone about it. Though he was just playing, he was way too rough with Daisy. She seemed to become even more timid, and would spend most of her time either outside or sleeping in my bed, where she would crawl between the covers. When my sisters cat was picking on her I'd pick her up and carry her to my room and sit her on my lap while I was on my computer/couch playing games. She'd just curl up there and sleep.

Sad part:
    About a year ago I was leaving for work and heard her mewling. I figured she was hungry, but she didn't seem to want to eat. I was running late, and my family was out of town, so figured it would have to wait until after I got back. When I got home, she was pretty cold. She was lying on the tiles in front of her food bowl, whining. Something I'd never seen her do. I drove her to the after hours vet. I realized she was really in pain when she just lay in my lap. She'd always freak out in the car. The vet came out after a few minutes and said she was either going to need to be resuscitated (for a fee I couldn't afford), or be put down. Before I could say anything he was called back in. Came out and said she had passed. All he could tell me was that she probably drank some anti-freeze. She was 14.

I wish I could say she lived a good, long life. But it's probably more correct to say she just lived a long life. She really needed to be taken care of, and often nobody had the time for her. I'm always going to regret how the last few years of her life went. And even more that I left her in probably agonizing pain all day long while she was mewling for help. At least now I know that if I ever get any pets of my own I'll put a lot more time and consideration into them.

exis on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    The Cat wrote: »
    Floppy ears!

If you take a bleet, then raise it 4-5 octaves you get baby goat noise

Also this thing is cuddly as all hell

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    how did you come to aquire a goat anyway?

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    My mum is a wildlife carer and we also look after orphaned lifestock. Usually only for a few weeks

Lambs are loud and annoying and horrible

Calves are dumb as bricks, fucking hilarious, and they all eventually discover they can do skids in the back by running fast then stopping. They do this until they invariably end up entangled in something

Goats are criminally adorable but climb everything they can. I'll be just peeing in the bathroom, minding my own business when all of a sudden BLLLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEGH "GET OFF THE WINDOWSILL CREEPY PERVE GOAT"

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    haha, that's great :D

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    My friend's two cats both have no teeth and require insulin shots for their diabeetus. D:

My cat, however, went to live on a farm years ago. It's funny, because when I say that a lot of people think it's a euphuism for having him put down, but he actually went to live on a farm. He was a ginger tabby named Yoshi, and he was freakin' huge (big and kinda fat). I miss him...

Flay on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    He's probably spending his days driving the native wildlife to the brink of extinction

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    My very first cat was Patches, a calico cat that I got for my fifth birthday. My little brother was two years old. I don't know what my parents were thinking. She was an older cat, I think my parents got her from a friend of theirs or something. We didn't have her for very long because surprise surprise a five-year-old and a two-year-old don't know how to be gentle with a cat. I do remember playing with her and I remember one time she got her head stuck underneath my grandparents' recliner somehow and was fighting and struggling to get her head out. I was traumatized from watching it even though she was fine. The saddest part is that after we gave Patches away, my parents got rid of all photographs of her because they didn't want me to see one and get upset. Thanks Mom.

When I was eight-years-old I got my second cat. My Dad's friend's cat had kittens and we took one home. Apparently they had named her Tiger and we planned on keeping that name but since my Mom calls every cat "Puss" it stuck.

CuteDark.jpg
    Puss, in all her majesty

Puss was a jerk. She was declawed (something I would not do now) but people were still scared of her because of how agressive she was. I'm pretty much the cause of it because I would chase her and torment her when I was a kid. Sometimes she would wait by the stairs for someone to walk up and then attack their legs. She was fond of my Mom and became fond of me after I grew up. She never meowed and would love to jump into the empty bathtub and lick water from the tap. She would also shed like crazy and her fur would get matted and gross no matter how much we tried to brush her. She went deaf, we think (she hid it well). I took her with me when I moved out of my parents house. Eventually she was having trouble holding her bladder and we realized that she was getting sick. We had to have her put down when she was 17. I knew that she wouldn't live forever but I was so sad when we finally took her to the vet that last time. I loved Puss, despite her dickish nature.

Computer2.jpg
    Puss, shortly before she died, demanding my attention.

I moved to Korea recently and now I have my third cat. Her name at the cat shelter was Samsoon but I changed it to Sweet Potato. She spent almost a week under my bed and only came out when I was asleep but now she's really sweet and affectionate. Sometimes she bites randomly (like she'll rub against my leg and lick my leg and then CHOMP) which I'm trying to work on. I will take her back to Canada with me when I go home.

1157upclose.jpg
    Sweet Potato

I really really want to get another cat because I have a small apartment and I work in the daytime and I think Sweet Potato may get bored. It's possible, but not really practical, to take TWO cats back to Canada so I don't think I can. Maybe when I'm finally back home I can get her a friend.

1170floor.jpg
    Yellow cats really are the best.

Taya on
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    My cats were being cute last night so I finally decided to take some new pictures.

This here is Buta, short for Kobuta, which is japanese for piggy. Which is apt; he's our fat little man. Although, he's lost some weight so I don't know if we can call him that anymore. He is a year and a half old, and we got him last April.

Here he is the first day we got him.
    Buta2.jpg

Buta4.jpg

We had actually gone to the shelter to look at the dogs, but then saw him and took him immediately. The people at the shelter told us he was the last one of his litter, but nobody had taken him because he was very loud and always meowed. He is, however, the quietest cat I've ever seen. He only meows when my girlfriend is sleeping in the bedroom and he is locked out from there. He completely loves her and just accepts that I'm around. At night, when we're in bed, he jumps up on her chest and hugs her. Literally. He wraps his paws around her neck and rubs his face on hers.

He's a very skittish little thing. He is fine around me and my girlfriend, but if more than 1 other person comes in the door, he runs and hides under the bed. If 1 person comes in, he's fine. His favorite thing is laying on top of the couch, ruining the pillows. He is also very smart; within two days of living at our new apartment, he had figured out how to open the closet doors (which are completely different kinds of doors from our old place).

This is him now:
    buta2.jpg

buta3.jpg

buta4.jpg

This is the other cat, the little terror, Amira. She will be a year old next month, but she acts like she is still only 2 months old. We got her when someone found her on top of the roof of a local country club and brought her in to where my girlfriend works. I had been very adamant that we did not need a second cat, but then Amy took some videos and made me watch them and I couldn't fight her anymore and we picked her up the next day.

Here she is the first day we got her:
    amira1.jpg

amira3.jpg

She was a tiny little thing, and still is very small. Whereas Buta weighs about 14 pounds, at a year old Amira still only weighs about 8. She is very smart....when she wants to be. She knows words, like 'hungry'. If you say to her "Are you hungry?" She starts meowing her little head off at you and runs to the kitchen. She also barks. Swear to god, she goes "ruff" occasionally. She, unlike Buta, is very loud and constantly meowing and is always purring. Always with the purring.

Whereas Buta adores Amy, Amira is totally infatuated with me. She loves to lay on me. I know it's time for petting cause she will run up to the base of the couch and just stare at me. So then I lay down and she jumps up on my chest and goes to sleep while I pet her. She is also extremely curious and will follow you all over the house to watch what you're doing, even if all you were doing was walking into the other room to put a pen away she will follow you and watch your every move. Her favorite thing to do is sit on the window sill and watch all the people and dogs walk by.

And here she is now:
    amira1.jpg

amira3.jpg

amira7.jpg

Oh, and she also loves to drown things. She will pick up her toys, take them to the water dish and drop them in there. Then watch it for a bit, then bat it around with her paw, and eventually walk away, leaving it to slowly die. She also loves tormenting Buta.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    Mom2KatMom2Kat Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Well I might as well do my cat before he gets annoyed at not getting the attention he thinks he Deserves.

This is Fizban.
    03June2006163.jpg

03June2006166.jpg

He is my first cat that is all mine. I bought him from a pet store in New West when he followed me past the window and promptly fell off the platform he was walking on. He got his name becase he had a white beard as a kitten and always looked confused. He is as dumb as a sack of hair, wich is also one of his nicknames. I have had him 12 years now and he still thinks he can make friends with my husband (who I have had 3 months longer than the cat) My husband is NOT a friend to cats. He also was afraid of going out side for quite a few years untill he decided that he would be a yard cat part of the time. He now scratches to go in our out at random time. He is also afraid of prople who are not us. If he comes in and there are shoes he does not recognize he pauses, and the runs right back out side. Unless they are my brother in laws shoes then he conquers his fear and goes to molest his shoes.

These are Stu (short for Stupid) and Tribble (Who looked like one as akitten, and my mother was an unabashed trekkie)
    This is Stu
    muffleteaster06002.jpg
    and this is Tribble
    HPIM0036.jpg

There was Also a black and white Tuxedo who was tribbles brother, But sadly Mad Cat died 8 years ago at age 10. Tribble is still alive (he is to ornery to die) But Stu died when he was 10. Of all the cats only Fizban is an outdoor/indoor Cat. All the others where indoor with the exception of a few escapes.

Tribble still lives with my Father, who has now ended up with Smoke, a medium haired grey cat my brother got in Calgary, Loki a black cat with a bulldog face, who is also my brothers, and Squeek, a small black cat the is daughter to Smoke and Loki. All cats are now fixed.

Mom2Kat on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Oh yeah, I have a video of Tina when she was still really young (probably only a month or two) attacking a toy in a plastic bag.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Unfortunately, I currently lack pictures to go with them, but my parents are the temporary foster parents of six kittens. My parents found the kittens' mom, a local stray, parading the kittens around a few weeks ago. Worried about them, they took them in over a matter of days and are officially taking care of them for the shelter until they hit 12 weeks and can be spayed/neutered. My parents have no idea what to do with them after that, though the current plan likely involves adopting two of them at least. The latest news is that the mother has since found her kittens and now is in the process of adopting my parents as well, a process made easier when my parents started feeding her and letting her sleep in the deck. I'm guessing we'll be seeing her become a permanent family member as well in time.

EmperorSeth on
    You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    My cat is the best cat.

I don't have pictures, but rest assured, it is better than all your cats.

Crimson King on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    My cat is the best cat.

I don't have pictures, but rest assured, it is better than all your cats.

That is OK my goat is better than your cat

EDIT: Also Goats pee alot

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So anyone care to break down for me WHY "Two cats are better than one"?

I'm still strongly debating getting little Linus a buddy to keep his fat ass in check - but I'm worried about the cost, honestly, and the mess. Those are the only 2 factors. I feel like cost SHOULDNT be that much more, other than the obvious double vet visit now and then - but the mess. I don't know where (Im sure I could think of somewhere) I could put a second litterbox, and I don't think I could handle BOTH cats peeing on the couch or something if one doesn't like the other using the litterbox.

Yet, every single person I talk to - and the vast majority in this thread - have 2 cats that are spooning and it makes my heart melt and makes me think about how much Linus would enjoy some company while I'm at work. He's very interested in other cats that roam past the window, and when we adopted him the little birth certificate thingy they gave us had "Good with other cats/dog" checked "yes".

I hate to sound selfish, but I'm a firm believer of helping animals ONLY if I know I will ACTUALLY HELP THEM. I'd love to adopt a 2nd cat, but if there's pee everywhere and I go broke because I didn't realize just how much more money it would be (again, I cant think of it really being that much more expensive, but Im asking just incase Im overlooking something obvious), then I will be miserable, and the cats would be miserable, and it wouldn't really be beneficial to any of the living creatures in the equation.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    2 cats are better than one because they have a buddy to hang out with who is a cat. And so they don't get lonely when you go out. Very simple.

NotYou on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    2 cats will use the same litterbox.

Hell, one time we had 5 cats using the same litterbox. They're not exactly picky.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png