As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I Wanna Rock and Roll All Night and [PHOTO] Every Day

• Options
    KAJedKAJed Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Noise Ninja'd.... the full resolution version doesn't look as strange.

Also, the Father of the Bride was singing... his band played the whole night, but he came up for only a few songs.

KAJed on
  • Options
    erisian popeerisian pope Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Thats basically it. Then again I bought my 10d used from a camera store in Austin and it is still running strong 5+ years later. If you do buy one used I would get it from a store and not ebay and make sure they have a return policy.

If all else fails you can try keh...I'm not sure what their return policy is like or if they ship to the uk.
    Keh 5d

In Austin? Was it at Precision Camera? That's where I got my 20D!! :D

I would have no qualms about buying used via any of the following:

1. KEH.com
    2. B&H (bhphotovideo.com)
    3. Adorama (adorama.com)
    4. Local (ie - craigslist) assuming I could inspect the camera and shoot with it before buying it
    5. Anywhere that sells factory refurbed camera.

NOTE: Adorama offers a 1year warranty on some of their refurbed items - look into that.

I would not buy used from anywhere that I could not touch and test the camera unless it was one of the above whose reputation I trust due to the number of people in the field that I personally have seen praising their integrity.

And remember that any money you save by purchasing the 5D instead of the 5Dii is money you can spend on lenses!!

erisian pope on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Hey CC,

So we had a meeting regarding the fashion show in September. Sounds like it isn't going to be a runway shoot, but instead will be a walk around. So the room will be set up for the girls to come in from a patio entrance, have a path on the floor (it's in a bar, although she promised there would be good lighting) and have designated X's on the floor.

It's first come first serve, so I get to choose whatever X I want, and the girls are being told to do what we ask them to. I'm a little less nervous after meeting the photographers who are going to be joining me.

Thankfully the prep shoot is going to be handled by a trio of students, because they're going to be making a slide show for the show later in the evening.

KAJed on
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Nervous about this but w/e.....

messed with a friends SLR to take some pictures I wanted to the other day....really happy with how my cat came out....considering he was all in my business during the other pictures, I decided he just wanted some attention
    3796775490_cb4ff09bb3.jpg
    This one is bad...first shot and I hadn't figured her camera out...didn't realize how bad it was until I uploaded it...but it gives you a full view...
    3796777356_d78d8b50e4.jpg

3796782270_8a60ce4628.jpg

3795970277_f00ae877b9.jpg

3795967817_21cdeea044.jpg

3795968727_0100d77a17.jpg

That model is also one of my MOC (My Own Creation...LEGO fan acronyms are terrible)

Arch on
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Thats basically it. Then again I bought my 10d used from a camera store in Austin and it is still running strong 5+ years later. If you do buy one used I would get it from a store and not ebay and make sure they have a return policy.

If all else fails you can try keh...I'm not sure what their return policy is like or if they ship to the uk.
    Keh 5d

In Austin? Was it at Precision Camera? That's where I got my 20D!! :D

Yes it was Precision Camera. I don't live in Austin but I have some friends down there so I found the camera online and had a friend go check it out in the store before I bought it.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    KAJed wrote: »
    Hey CC,

So we had a meeting regarding the fashion show in September. Sounds like it isn't going to be a runway shoot, but instead will be a walk around. So the room will be set up for the girls to come in from a patio entrance, have a path on the floor (it's in a bar, although she promised there would be good lighting) and have designated X's on the floor.

It's first come first serve, so I get to choose whatever X I want, and the girls are being told to do what we ask them to. I'm a little less nervous after meeting the photographers who are going to be joining me.

Thankfully the prep shoot is going to be handled by a trio of students, because they're going to be making a slide show for the show later in the evening.

Remember your best shosts will probably come from shooting before the pseudo runway show so I would still try and shoot some set up shots if you can.

CommunistCow on
  • Options
    projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
  • Options
    edited August 2009

It took me a minute to realize it was being sarcastic. :P

CommunistCow on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

It took me a minute to realize it was being sarcastic. :P

I think this is my favorite

ivars_gravlejs_photo_rules_009.jpg

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    personally i like this one
    ivars_gravlejs_photo_rules_070.jpg

CommunistCow on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    In an effort to cut these wedding photos down from 1000 to 25 I failed. Still at 250. Curses!

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    In an effort to cut these wedding photos down from 1000 to 25 I failed. Still at 250. Curses!

Cut them down how? To the ones you like and are going to process? To finish going through them?

CommunistCow on
  • Options
    limester816limester816 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    A few from today:

3800253768_a8dff910c7.jpg

3800253388_da2fdd6d7c.jpg

3799434161_d74f663ce7.jpg

limester816 on
  • Options
    PenpalPenpal Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I love taking pictures after rain
    and with drunk people.

3800495912_7c78b68841_b.jpg

3800497740_b96eab65cc_b.jpg

Penpal on
    Kevin+Coffey.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009

Cut them down how? To the ones you like and are going to process? To finish going through them?

Ze bolded one!

Hm. Guess I should actually get on that instead of finding out I like freaking paramore of all bands.

Hey Lime, that first one did you do it in Lightroom (or similar program) or Photoshop (again or similar program) because it would do well by taking the saturation slider for blue and sliding it on down. Or warm up the photo some to white balance it better.

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Actually, I love the colors in that one. The guitar really stands out.

KAJed on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    KAJed wrote: »
    Actually, I love the colors in that one. The guitar really stands out.

You can make the guitar stand out without making the person look friggen terrible. Do what project said then use a layer adjustment with layer mask to do whatever to make the guitar stand out.

CommunistCow on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Another one from the wedding, this one is the groom getting ready

MindyAlfredoWedding164of956WEBEDITE.jpg

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I went back to the original colors.. is this one better?

3800253768_af7f29dfd7.jpg

limester816 on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Leagues better imo.

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    Uncle LongUncle Long Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Yes.

Uncle Long on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Penal I will be the first to say those photos are terrible. The idea might have some merit but the execution is just poor. There is horrible grain, pulled back overexposure, and odd colors on the legs.

Step away from the drunken hipsters wearing daisy dukes.

CommunistCow on
  • Options
    nation161nation161 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I don't know if it's just my style or whatever, but I really like that first drunk friend pic. It's not supposed to be perfect execution, it's of a drunk person, so I think the grain + overexposure + odd colors fits it

nation161 on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    nation161 wrote: »
    I don't know if it's just my style or whatever, but I really like that first drunk friend pic. It's not supposed to be perfect execution, it's of a drunk person, so I think the grain + overexposure + odd colors fits it

It is supposed to be a picture of a drunk person not a drunk person taking the picture. You can capture the essence of a person being drunk without operating the camera like one.

CommunistCow on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Here's loading up for a country gig we had this morning.. my buddy who had a nice shave before the gig.

3805305944_d8bf293978.jpg

limester816 on
  • Options
    PenpalPenpal Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I wasn't drunk, by the way; I was perfectly sober. I mentioned that he was just because it would probably give you a little context concerning a dude with a bandana in the middle of a rainy street wearin' never nudes. I also wasn't trying to capture the "essence" of a person being drunk... I'm a sucker for wet roads at night. These photos wouldn't exist without the noise, because I couldn't have gotten them if I had set up an elaborate tripod and lighting rig in the middle of a street, while we were headed somewhere. I liked the pose he was doing in the first one, and I had him jump (I love jumping photos) for the second one, because jumping photos are ballin'.

I hope i'm not trying to sound angry that you don't like my photo or anything, because that's not the case. The reason I come to AC is because you guys are honest and I like that. I appreciate crits and opinions! and I agree that if I had the time, they could have been executed better. I guess I should have said that in my post first post, that these were hasty and personal, but I was just excited to get them out there

3805391230_f51d444f77_b.jpg

here's a non-night photo! I liked the lines leading into the sun, and I use an extremely fast shutter speed/high aperture/reducing shadows/raising highlights in post and everything, and changing the crop, to get what I wanted. Most photos I see these days that involve sunlight and cloud are over-exposed, I wanted to go in the opposite direction

Penpal on
    Kevin+Coffey.png
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So I've been off the photography wagon for a while, but here are the best of the last batch I had processed and as always, thoughts and criticism are much appreciated.

3805848213_96e5e311f0.jpg

3806668856_e97e87d678.jpg

3805854925_259352ab39.jpg

3806678780_5eeaf73488.jpg

3806683560_17bfd784c0.jpg

And I'm thinking of setting up a little corner of my apartment as a basic studio. I plan on using the great natural light that I get in here, but does anybody have some DIY tips for reflectors?

Usagi on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    The third flower pic has really great light.

limester816 on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Penpal as Uncle Long and I have noted before the reasons a photo isn't better are usually of no concern to the viewer. The only thing that you have to show to the viewer is the photo.
    When you take photos that are personal you have to consider if the rest of us will 'get' the photo without knowing the persons or things in it. If you love rainy streets then you should show us by making the street more prominent by doing something like getting close to the ground and having the street fill up about 2/3rds of the frame with the guys head at the very top.

Usagi I love that last photo you have of the building and clouds. That is exactly how you take a normal object like a building and make it look interesting. For DIY home studio you might want to buy some cheap black grey or white sheets from target and put those up as a 'seamless' background. As for DIY reflectors just go to the automotive section and get one of those sunshades for a car preferably one that is a matte silver and not shiny. The ones that fold down to small circles should work better than the accordion folding ones. Sadly you might just need to get a stand with a clamp or have a helper because trying to get a reflector to sit against other stuff is a PITA.

CommunistCow on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Loving those last 2 building shots.

Aldo on
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Cow, automotive sunshades are a fantastic idea, thanks. I think I can bodge together a stand for them out of PVC, because I can see how trying to position them by leaning would be a gigantic pain.

And thanks for the feedback, looks like I'll be able to practice more of my city photography in the next few weeks so I'm very excited.

Usagi on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Another one from the wedding:

MindyAlfredoWedding283of956WEBEDITE.jpg

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    needOpticneedOptic Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I've been horribly busy, sorry for no comments.

Limester - that stand in the frame isn't helping. Other than that the bg is very appropriate and the lighting is nice.

Mayhem - you need a shallower DOF. I know that's limited by the equipment, but the people really noisy up the shot and the isolation of the two isn't clear enough.

I've been playing with the strobist setup and watching the strobist dvd's. Good stuff.

3808003746_dc7c5d9ea9.jpg

needOptic on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    needOptic wrote: »
    I've been playing with the strobist setup and watching the strobist dvd's. Good stuff.

Do you think I would get anything good out of the strobist dvds?

Also that is a pretty good shot but I would make the background light narrower so there is more fall off the further you go from her head. Assuming you aimed the light at the background right behind her head. The expression she has is sort of dead pan.

CommunistCow on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

Mayhem - you need a shallower DOF. I know that's limited by the equipment, but the people really noisy up the shot and the isolation of the two isn't clear enough.

Agree! Best I could with what I had though. I was using the crappy 15-55 kit lens. I thought about running the back ground through a filter in ps but I usually hate the way that ends up looking.

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

Agree! Best I could with what I had though. I was using the crappy 15-55 kit lens. I thought about running the back ground through a filter in ps but I usually hate the way that ends up looking.

It can look decent if you use the lens blur and then leave the opacity at 100% (so you have to get the settings on the lens blur just right.

CommunistCow on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

It can look decent if you use the lens blur and then leave the opacity at 100% (so you have to get the settings on the lens blur just right.

Cool, I will mess with it some more.

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    needOpticneedOptic Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Do you think I would get anything good out of the strobist dvds?

Also that is a pretty good shot but I would make the background light narrower so there is more fall off the further you go from her head. Assuming you aimed the light at the background right behind her head. The expression she has is sort of dead pan.

Yep, agree with the bg light / expression. She was getting ready for us to go out and I hauled her over and said "shake your head" :)))))) She gave me 5 minutes and ran back to the bathroom.

The lecture part of the strobist dvd's is more or less about all the stuff that's written on the site... so it's more of the same. The on location shoots / setups are really nice. They're the bonus material and just have him doing his thing and speaking out loud about what he's doing.

Even if there is nothing revolutionary in what he says - it's nice to see his thought process.

needOptic on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I used that method on the photo below. It doesn't look perfect but it certainly looks better than the gaussian blur.

Nicole%201.jpg

CommunistCow on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Oh sweet man, that does look pretty nice. Did you just copy the background layer and do a quick mask?

projectmayhem on
This discussion has been closed.