As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Witcher] [The Witcher II: Assassins of Kings trailer | 2011 release

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

I spent about 45 minutes earlier trying to beat the Beast
    while keeping Abigail alive.

Little did I know that she can't die in that fight if you protected her from the villagers, she will fall down but will get up after a bit.

So many reloads trying to keep her up, and not dying myself at the same time.

Bleh.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

I spent about 45 minutes earlier trying to beat the Beast
    while keeping Abigail alive.

Little did I know that she can't die in that fight if you protected her from the villagers, she will fall down but will get up after a bit.

So many reloads trying to keep her up, and not dying myself at the same time.

Bleh.

If it makes you feel better that's actually the hardest fight in the game and can be done fairly easy if you use a certain spell or two.

Cade on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Really?

That's a bit disappointing.

Also I didn't know before going into the fight about a specific method of killing him and I hadn't talented that anyway.

Semi-related, is there some way to respec? Like, at all, even by resetting values in a file or something? I have just been randomly putting talents into things that sounded mildly interesting.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    i finally reinstalled this and decided to try and beat it again, since the last time i kind of flickered out on it in Act 3.

mostly because all this witcher 2 hub bub.

My Win7 64bit did not like the 32bit tages driver that witcher installed, caused me no end of problems even after i patched to 1.5 and removed tages.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    i finally reinstalled this and decided to try and beat it again, since the last time i kind of flickered out on it in Act 3.

My Win7 64bit did not like the 32bit tages driver that witcher installed, caused me no end of problems even after i patched to 1.5 and removed tages.

I'm running Win7 64bit as well, and had 0 problems with tages after I updated the game. Sounds like more technical jankyness.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    -Loki- wrote: »

I'm running Win7 64bit as well, and had 0 problems with tages after I updated the game. Sounds like more technical jankyness.

the only remaining issue is some weird thing where windows boots into the login screen even though i have it set up to sign automatically into my user account.

started right after i installed witcher but before i patched. weird issue and seemingly unrelated, but with no other changes to the system it has to be that.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Really?

Also I didn't know before going into the fight about a specific method of killing him and I hadn't talented that anyway.

Semi-related, is there some way to respec? Like, at all, even by resetting values in a file or something? I have just been randomly putting talents into things that sounded mildly interesting.

You're not far enough for it to really matter. By the end of the game you get enough bronze talents to fill out most everything. There aren't many bad choices for building a guy anyways. Unless you stick it all signs and try to use swords or something.

captaink on
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Really?

Doesn't matter in the first chapter, you'll have more than enough bronze talents that it won't matter later anyway. Things start getting a little more tricky when you start getting silver and gold talents.

Basically the drunken one, while amusing, is useless. Otherwise go with your gut, it's doubtful it'll hurt you in the long run.

EDIT: Whoops, captaink beat me to it. Damn that page 38!

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Really?

I'm not sure if it's a specific method so much as instakilling things stunned by Aard never gets old.

And you'll be in exp feeding frenzy soon enough so don't worry about respecs. You literally can fill up every Bronze talent by the end game IIRC. I got stuff like that stupid drunken fighting talent early on and still didn't really have huge trouble. The only real must have bronze talent is herbalism IMO but not like you get tons of potion recipes to use it for even if you beeline to it.

Edit: See? Everyone takes that dumb drunk one but we still manage.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, I thought the drunken thing was fun until the fun was over and I had to walk to the nearest campfire. It's so annoying to be stumbling around town when you want to get something DONE! :lol:

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    oh man i forgot how fucked up dice poker was.

how many times can you throw all six 5 five of a kinds, zoltan you cheating dwarf bastard.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Fuck dice and fuck the game for thinking that making a straight the bare minimum harder opponents can get is a good idea.

EDIT: haha this guy is still a "novice". He's, quite literally, gotten 4 of a kind every single round for the last 15 minutes.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    big lbig l Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Never play the optional gambling minigame! Did you learn nothing from pazaak?

big l on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I just quicksaved before gambling. Problem solved.

Aldo on
  • Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    big l wrote: »

what are you talking about, real witchers earn a living playing dice.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    ErgandarErgandar Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I don't know about you guys, but my geralt dominates the dice.

King Foltest wept after I bankrupted his kingdom.

Ergandar on
    RachelSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Yeah I'm pretty good at dice. It is way easier than fucking Pazaak.

Plus it gets you some unique stuff if you beat the 'boss' of each chapter.

captaink on
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    big l wrote: »

Hey. Hey. Pazaak was fucking awesome. You didn't even need to abuse the quicksave system to make money with it.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    dice poker is coded to be a big fuck you to the player.

there is no way in hell any sane algorithm would let a NPC get nothing but 6 high straights and 6 6 6 6 6 five of a kinds roll after roll after roll.

even when half their dice bounce completely off the board and screen

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Once I got into the main city, the game started chugging like a motherfucker.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    TrippyJing wrote: »

It started chugging for me once I got into the nice part of town.

Couscous on
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Couscous wrote: »
    TrippyJing wrote: »

It started chugging for me once I got into the nice part of town.

That's what I meant. The part with the hookers.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I finally, finally beat this. Bought it ages ago, played up to chapter 4, then the enhanced version came out, and I decided to restart. Only just got back to it now.

Well!

I have several problems with the game, the most major being that the pacing is extremely uneven. There are several parts where it just drags on and on and on, and you don't really do anything interesting or meet anyone interesting. Best chapters were 2 and 3 by far, but if I never have to trek all the way through Vizima again it'll be too soon. You won't hear me complaining about the sequel being shorter overall.

Also, the general lack of polish is more apparent than ever. The whole enhanced edition project was an incredible feat, but relatively speaking, the writing went from "incomprehensible" to "decent". There are times when the dialogue shines, but there are still untold cases of weird animation issues, poor voice acting and stiff character mannerisms. I thought the game looked good when it came out, but I won't say that time has been particularly generous to it.

And, god, the combat really isn't very compelling. Might be a side effect of the pacing issues, but by the end of the game I was pretty goddamn sick of drowners and fleders and whatever the fuck. I think they could've done a lot more with less - as is, there really isn't much, if any, variety in terms of mission or combat design. Take the Striga fight for instance; something that should've been really cool, but in reality you just run in circles around a sarcophagus while a poorly rendered monstrosity tries to figure out its pathfinding.

Maybe I'm sounding too harsh, as I really did like the game overall, but I think it's much too dense and dreary for me to want to play through it a third (or 2.5th) time. A lot of personality in the world, though, and some really cool branching storytelling mechanics. I really, really hope they can match their own ambitions in the sequel.

Also, is it just me or do the Greater Brothers look exactly like the big hammer dudes in Golden Axe?

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Ok I can't figure out how to finish the novice dice quest.

It says I've beaten 3 people and I should find professionals to play. But I've beaten more than that.

I beat the 3 people in Act 1, on top of the dwarf, the elf in the prison and a hooker.

But my quest still says something about Mikul.

What the shit?

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I think you get the next quest (the professional) when you beat 4 novices.

If you got the professional then you're on the right track, all the ones from act 1 are novices so it doesn't matter how many you beat of those.

Try Thaler the fence, Velerad etc

Alegis on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Oh, so I should just find someone on the "professional" list and play them? I guess I was expecting some quest complete notification prior to being able to start the next quest.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    NartwakNartwak Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    dice poker is coded to be a big fuck you to the player.

there is no way in hell any sane algorithm would let a NPC get nothing but 6 high straights and 6 6 6 6 6 five of a kinds roll after roll after roll.

even when half their dice bounce completely off the board and screen

Seems I rolled a number! Bad luck for you, Geralt. Try again?

Nartwak on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Oh, so I should just find someone on the "professional" list and play them? I guess I was expecting some quest complete notification prior to being able to start the next quest.

It's a little light on information. If I remember, the's a Pro in each chapter that you have to beat. Except 1 I guess.

captaink on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    The "professional" level players bet considerably more money than the novice level. is it an exponential curve as you go up in "difficulty" or no? Just wondering if I should spend some time farming some cash from these guys.

Anyway, in the middle of doing fedex quests in Act II and my biggest complaint about the game, thus far, is that.

The needless quests. All the "collect 5 drowner tongue" quests are totally worthless and add nothing to the game at all. There's enough combat in the actual main story that adding in that crap just isn't necessary. I really feel like they could just straight up remove every single bounty board mission and several of the side missions and the game would lose nothing for it. They could just scale up the money and xp rewards from the rest of everything to compensate and it would be a much better game.

I realize they were aiming to make you feel like you were in a living world, but it feels like that even without those dumb missions. I know they're optional but my personality and my desire to actually have enough money to buy things makes me do them.

Regardless it's not a very big complaint. It's just the only thing thus far, besides the unfairness of the ocassional dice game, that really sticks out at me as a bad thing in the game. All peoples complaints about the combat fall on deaf ears having spent the last week playing Oblivion.

Either way I'm having a grand time. I've had the game for awhile just never really touched it. I loaded it up the other day to test what happened if I turned off Catalyst A.I. and it was like a magical improvement in the performance of the game. I wanted to try a few quests with it running super smooth and well..I just didn't stop playing.

Getting pretty excited about Witcher 2 now.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited August 2010
    10 bear asses are more justified in witcher than any other game.

seeing as your sole purpose in life is to find people who need things killed, and will want proof of that kill before payment

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Killing enough animals was never a problem for me. I don't think I ever had to grind them.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    My problem isn't killing enough, it's having enough money to buy the books I need in order to even get crap to drop at all.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited August 2010
    My problem isn't killing enough, it's having enough money to buy the books I need in order to even get crap to drop at all.

cant you get a lot of that information from the peasentry, I know you can get practically all the herb info for chapter 1 from the old women in exchange for food

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'd like to think I'm almost done. Doing the Nehelenia mirror quest.

What the heck is a Sailor Moon villain doing in Witcher? O_o

(I'm sure this is a bit of mythology I'm not familiar with)

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010

cant you get a lot of that information from the peasentry, I know you can get practically all the herb info for chapter 1 from the old women in exchange for food

I can't find anything like that in act 2. I'm talking to everyone, I checked the wikia for most of the books the antiquary sells and there's no alternate method of getting most of them without waiting for stuff in later chapters.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010

Failing that, make sure you do the major monster hunts in each act, which will net you several hundred orens a piece. And immediately sell back books after you read them. You don't need them and you can get a pretty good chunk of their value back.

If you're really strapped for cash, from act 2 onwards I remember there being an ingredient that Kalkstein will buy for 50 orens each that are dropped by the drowners in the swamps. You can just grind on those for a while.

Monger on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    FFFFfffffff

5k for the upgraded armor in vizima.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    TertieeTertiee Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I had the exact same thoughts when I got to chapter 2. I decided to not go around murdering the wildlife forever and just got the armor in chapter 3

Tertiee on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    FFFFfffffff

Not really worth it. You should get some armor from the main quest anyway

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Spoit wrote: »
    FFFFfffffff

Not really worth it. You should get some armor from the main quest anyway

Yeah, totally. I finished chap 3 before I realized I forgot to save up for the armor; didn't really need it.

DisruptedCapitalist on