As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

We Are the [Chat] Squad and We're Coming to Town, BEEP BEEP!

• Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Pony wrote: »
    Ludious wrote: »
    I love how several of you are anti-kid. The more anti-kid you are, the bigger a goofy parent you're going to be.

Sure some people genuinely never want children. The number of people that profess this is rather a lot smaller than the number of people who go through with it their entire lives.

Trust me, hit your 30's, and then we'll talk again. You'd probably rather show me pictures of your offspring by then though.

i am getting a vasectomy in a month

not because i am against the idea of having children entirely, mind you

i am just against the idea of me producing genetic offspring

my genes are terrible

i'm an evolutionary dead end

i should not be cursing the world and young children with my terrible DNA

now, adoption?

okay, i can see that, at some future point

but my own genetic offspring? No.

god bless you, pony

more people should follow your example

people are raised by wandering fathers and mothers that have kids in between every bong rip and they wonder why the world is fucking stupid

AH'M A GOOD MAM I LUUV MAH KIDS *tooth falls out*

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    What exactly does bangercore consist of? I heard the single heartbeats and a mix they did of an Anoraak song but I wouldn't describe them as bangers personally but my personal definition could be way off.

Mega-hard four to the floor, huge snare on two and four, fast hats, massive (usually triangle) bass often bitcrushed or distorted, trebly two or four bar lead line, inane lyrics. Think MSTRKRFT, Bloody Beetroots, GRUM, Le Caste Vania, Boyz Noize, etc.

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    joshua1joshua1 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Yeah, i know the drop down in the print tab, but due to the retardedness of trying to put landscape excel files in word, I would have to put multiple pdfs together into one glorious one.

What does that? can preview handle that?

joshua1 on
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    we've been trying to have kids for four years

just doesn't seem to take

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    SanderJK wrote: »
    japan wrote: »
    joshua1 wrote: »
    I think i will be "printing" this off as a .pdf via word before I take it to the printshop. Would you happen to know a way to compile pdfs in OSX? for free?

I hate having to reassemble documents.

Open/NeoOffice.

There's a couple of free "fake printer" things too, but they generate monstrously huge files.

CutePDF is the standard for this. I can't recall much of an issue with the size of files it creates...

CutePDF I have no experience with. Generally the things that are pretend postscript printer drivers are the things that generate the gigantic files.

japan on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Lud I'm not really anti kid, I'm anti everyone else having a kid. It's one of my rules when I become a dictator.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Fallout wrote: »
    I love how several of you are anti-kid. The more anti-kid you are, the bigger a goofy parent you're going to be.

Sure some people genuinely never want children. The number of people that profess this is rather a lot smaller than the number of people who go through with it their entire lives.

Trust me, hit your 30's, and then we'll talk again. You'd probably rather show me pictures of your offspring by then though.

i am getting a vasectomy in a month

not because i am against the idea of having children entirely, mind you

i am just against the idea of me producing genetic offspring

my genes are terrible

i'm an evolutionary dead end

i should not be cursing the world and young children with my terrible DNA

now, adoption?

okay, i can see that, at some future point

but my own genetic offspring? No.

god bless you, pony

more people should follow your example

people are raised by wandering fathers and mothers that have kids in between every bong rip and they wonder why the world is fucking stupid

AH'M A GOOD MAM I LUUV MAH KIDS *tooth falls out*
    None of that has to do with genes.

Couscous on
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Podly wrote: »
    MikeMan wrote: »
    duna you work at the rockaway mall?

what's up, mariposa?

that's our word

what's the other one? is it marricone?

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    thisisntwallythisisntwally Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Yeah, i know the drop down in the print tab, but due to the retardedness of trying to put landscape excel files in word, I would have to put multiple pdfs together into one glorious one.

preview I don't think would.

now you could make your PDFs, then insert them (insert image?) into your overall word doc, then print that to pdf...

lotsa steps, but it should stay clean.

thisisntwally on
    #someshit
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009

I think you have to catch yours in the wild.

Ludious on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

you have to pray to jesus first

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

what's up, mariposa?

that's our word

it's chacarrone

MikeMan on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

what's up, mariposa?

that's our word

Is it bird? Is bird the word?

moniker on
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Preacher wrote: »
    Lud I'm not really anti kid, I'm anti everyone else having a kid. It's one of my rules when I become a dictator.

When I become dictator I am going to allow scientists to do human testing. We need to get to the future, damn it, and it will be a hell of a lot quicker that way.

Ludious on
  • Options
    joshua1joshua1 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

preview I don't think would.

now you could make your PDFs, then insert them (insert image?) into your overall word doc, then print that to pdf...

lotsa steps, but it should stay clean.

This sounds the safest.

Ugh. my markers are going to have a field day when they reach the end of this report. Im so fucking done that I can't think of regular words. Only obtuse flowery synonyms that i spell atrociously.

joshua1 on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    you know

people who are deadset against ever having children ever tend to just be sorta self-absorbed folk at this stage in their life, and often grow out of it

ain't nothing wrong with them, as people, they are just sorta overly concerned with themselves and don't really see there being a point in their life where they aren't too busy with their oh-so-important lives to care for a child

however

people who hate the idea of anyone having children, and look down on "breeders" and other folk who have kids

those people are just misanthropes

and misanthropes are sad and pathetic

i look down on them, cluck my tongue, and hope one day they will learn to love their species

Pony on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Somebody give me $120 so I can buy an overpriced hat.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    edited August 2009

Where's he going to find a pokeball that big?

japan on
  • Options
    thisisntwallythisisntwally Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Is this too dense to go in a cover letter? (Yes, I think...)

What should I trim?
    I am currently working for the Department of Energy’s Environmental Management program, doing economic analysis and data management for the Office of Cost Estimation and Analysis. In addition to our office’s traditional cost estimation work, I have had to opportunity to research and apply economic and statistical approaches to provide more accurate cost estimates and support contract negotiations. I have also worked with a team of consultants to create a cost capture database so that in the future, a sample of actual costs can be used to produce more accurate cost estimates.

Beyond the simple analysis of price escalation for existing contracts, one of my responsibilities has been developing new forecasting techniques for commodity and price escalation for the purpose of program planning and contract negotiation, and for the creation of standard escalation indices. My use of a sophisticated multivariate time-series approach has proven more accurate than commercial escalation indexes in capturing and predicting commodity trends, and allows for application in dynamic, project specific instances. This was done with a free, open source statistical environment, R. Given recent price instabilities, an accurate picture of cost escalation is instrumental in creating accurate cost estimates and models.

In addition to improving price escalation strategies for contracting and planning purposes, I have worked to improve the quality of our baseline cost estimates. Working in an interdisciplinary team, we developed the Environmental Cost Analysis System (ECAS) database to capture historical costs for the Department of Energy's Environmental Management program. With the database structure created and finalized, I have reviewed the database design and reports for usability, and overseen contractor efforts in data collection and analysis. As a DOE representative, I oversaw the training of contractors by the ECAS team, for manipulating accounting and waste data from historical projects, to ensure accurate input into the ECAS database.

thisisntwally on
    #someshit
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I just kinda hope they stop being part of my species Pony.
    Or used in human testing.

Ludious on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    you know

people who are deadset against ever having children ever tend to just be sorta self-absorbed folk at this stage in their life, and often grow out of it

ain't nothing wrong with them, as people, they are just sorta overly concerned with themselves and don't really see there being a point in their life where they aren't too busy with their oh-so-important lives to care for a child
    this is pretty arrogant

MikeMan on
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Dunadan019 wrote: »

nah, I was just there for lunch and to pick up my copy of batman (which doesn't come out for the PC until the 15th apparantly.........)
    so you live around here, then?

why don't you hang out with us

I'm never invited :P aren't you farther east?
    i'm in bergen county but i regularly head down to rockaway/denville because many of my friends live there

also i'm always in paramus because it's paramus

I actually live on the much farther west than where I work right now and commute back and forth.

I don't go into denville much because its in the opposite direction.

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Feral wrote: »

This sentence is far more amusing than it has any right to be.

japan on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    okay

wait....

okay

MikeMan on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

ball-walk-on-water.jpg

Ludious on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

nah, I was just there for lunch and to pick up my copy of batman (which doesn't come out for the PC until the 15th apparantly.........)
    so you live around here, then?

why don't you hang out with us

I'm never invited :P aren't you farther east?
    i'm in bergen county but i regularly head down to rockaway/denville because many of my friends live there

also i'm always in paramus because it's paramus

I actually live on the much farther west than where I work right now and commute back and forth.

I don't go into denville much because its in the opposite direction.
    oh. hmm. what county are you in, if you don't mind my asking?

MikeMan on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

ball-walk-on-water.jpg

Is that Jesus?

moniker on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    No. He's just this guy, you know?

Ludious on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    okay

wait....

okay

Mikeman the leader of fiscal responsibility in chat.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Also, i drank a hundred dollars worth of remy xo cognac for free last week. That was pretty awesome.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Preacher wrote: »
    okay

wait....

okay

Mikeman the leader of fiscal responsibility in chat.
    hey

shut up or i'll give you $120 too

MikeMan on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Boo, 2 hours left in work day and no work to do.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2009

what's up, mariposa?

that's our word

I want it noted that I greatly enjoyed this post.

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    titties

MikeMan on
  • Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Also, i drank a hundred dollars worth of remy xo cognac for free last week. That was pretty awesome.

Over the week or in one gulp?

Haphazard on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    it's an eddy post

of course you enjoyed it

it's eddy

MikeMan on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    people who hate the idea of anyone having children, and look down on "breeders" and other folk who have kids

those people are just misanthropes

I like kids. I really do. However, I have a lot of resentment towards parents who believe that the world should stop spinning on its axis and kowtow to their needs just because they were able to get their gonads to rub together long enough to spawn. If people want to make the lifestyle choice to have kids, that's fine. But when those kids make noise on airplanes or in movie theaters or distract their parents while driving leading them to nearly run me off the road or when coworkers insist on leaving early and coming in late every day so they can drive their kids to and from daycare or otherwise act like that lifestyle choice gives them special privileges in life, I get extremely irritated.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    god i hate mstrkrft

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    you know

this is pretty arrogant

it's a tendency.

it's not universally true of all people who don't want children

but the fact is a lot of people who say I DON'T WANT CHILDREN EVER a) tend to grow out of it and b) their motivations are based entirely around self-interest, not any larger principle.

if you actually pick at someone's reasoning for not ever wanting children, nine times out of ten their reasoning will be based around their career, their appearance, their social life, or some other aspect of how their life functions right now (or how they want it to function) that is entirely about themselves and their happiness.

for example, if someone says "I don't ever want children because I can't reasonably provide real care for a child, given my jet-setting lifestyle of a professional model"

well, there you go

you are deciding to put your current career and lifestyle ahead of ever caring for a child.

there's certainly selfless reasons to say "I am the sort of person and/or lead the sort of lifestyle to which child-raising would not be functional and may in fact be harmful to the child"

but the reality is

the majority of the people who say "I don't ever want kids!"

are hardly so noble

Pony on
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    oh. hmm. what county are you in, if you don't mind my asking?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sussex_County,_New_Jersey

middle of nowhere'sville

Dunadan019 on
This discussion has been closed.