As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

God of War Collection, PS3 BC, and the future of up-ports

• Options
    TurboGuardTurboGuard Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I just hope they fix the framerate in GoWIII, because going from the silky smooth 60fps goodness of GoWI/II to the stuttery mess in the demo was really jarring.

TurboGuard on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    TurboGuard wrote: »
    I just hope they fix the framerate in GoWIII, because going from the silky smooth 60fps goodness of GoWI/II to the stuttery mess in the demo was really jarring.

The demo is just the E3 build, cleaned up a little. I'd expect a lot of improvements for retail.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    -Loki- wrote: »

The demo is just the E3 build, cleaned up a little. I'd expect a lot of improvements for retail.

It's not even cleaned up, it's the exact demo from E3. It's meant to look far better nowadays.

Anyway, I finished God of War 1 then went through the Challenges and then finished it again in 3 hours to get its platinum. It really wasn't as hard as I was expecting, especially the Challenges. I think I'll have a bit of a break from GoW, maybe play some Dragon Age or Way of the Samurai 3, before diving into GoW2.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    hottoqhottoq Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Err, I didn't notice any stuttering whatsoever in the demo. What parts are you talking about?

hottoq on
  • Options
    TurboGuardTurboGuard Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    hottoq wrote: »
    Err, I didn't notice any stuttering whatsoever in the demo. What parts are you talking about?

Any time there were more than 2 enemies on screen.

But you are probably part of the low-standard crowd that think 30 fps is the smoothest gameplay you could possibly get, and 15 fps is perfectly playable.

TurboGuard on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

Any time there were more than 2 enemies on screen.

But you are probably part of the low-standard crowd that think 30 fps is the smoothest gameplay you could possibly get, and 15 fps is perfectly playable.

Absolutely no idea what you're talking about lol.

Anyways, started playing God of War 1 over the weekend and am actually enjoying it so far, should've started with this instead of going straight to GoW2! Boo. The graphics are definitely a huge step down, it's really amazing what they were able to accomplish with GoW2.

Anyways, couple questions re: GoW2's plot.

What was up with those 3 murals in the Temple of the Fates? One showed the Olympians fighting the Titans, another showed Kratos looking over the aftermath of a battle, and the third showed... the 3 Magi following the star of Bethlehem? I know GoW3 is supposed to explain why there are no more Greek myths, but this still struck me as a bit strange.

My other question, why doesn't Kratos use the loom to bring back his dead family? I mean, maybe he didn't get the chance yet, and maybe he'll still have those time control powers in GoW3...

I'm sure these were both discussed to death back when GoW2 came out, but thought I'd bring them up again here :)

hottoq on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Seriously, fuck the final stretch before you get to Clotho in GoW2.

You have to go through seven waves of tough enemies with very limited chances for healing, and if you die at any point before the end, you have to start all over again? Graaaaah.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    That's why there's an achievement (trophy, whatever) for it. It's the hardest part of the game. Yet I thought it wasn't as hard as some parts of GoW1.

Renzo on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I can believe that, since I made it through the other two fates without too much trouble.

Don't remember having this much trouble on any part of GoW1, then again I haven't played it in a long time. (I'm actually playing GoW2 for the first time on a PS2. Great stuff, but my poor PS2 takes over a minute just to recognize the disk. I'm afraid it's not long for this world.)

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Luckily I was in easy mode for that part, so I didn't have too much trouble there. It would've been a nightmare in normal. I can't even imagine hard or titan modes...

The hardest part of all of GoW2 for me was the damn final QTE, where they shortened up the amount of time you had to press the buttons. The lag between me seeing the button on screen and me pressing the button was just too long. I must've gone through that 20+ times before I got all the way through it. I prolly just suck though, hence playing on easy mode after I got too frustrated on normal :)

Are the hard parts in GoW1 hard just because of the combat? i.e. if I'm playing that on easy, should it be easy to get through the whole game? Or are there annoying platforming/QTEs that I would have trouble with on any difficulty level?

hottoq on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Luckily I was in easy mode for that part, so I didn't have too much trouble there. It would've been a nightmare in normal. I can't even imagine hard or titan modes...

The hardest part of all of GoW2 for me was the damn final QTE, where they shortened up the amount of time you had to press the buttons. The lag between me seeing the button on screen and me pressing the button was just too long. I must've gone through that 20+ times before I got all the way through it. I prolly just suck though, hence playing on easy mode after I got too frustrated on normal :)

Are the hard parts in GoW1 hard just because of the combat? i.e. if I'm playing that on easy, should it be easy to get through the whole game? Or are there annoying platforming/QTEs that I would have trouble with on any difficulty level?

There's a part near the end of the game where you're climbing up a gigantic rotating spiked column which tried my patience, but I eventually made it through after about 10+ tries. Aside from that, I can't think of any moments that were frustratingly difficult, and I played on normal.

SteevL on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    SteevL wrote: »

There's a part near the end of the game where you're climbing up a gigantic rotating spiked column which tried my patience, but I eventually made it through after about 10+ tries. Aside from that, I can't think of any moments that were frustratingly difficult, and I played on normal.

Yeah, the combat is quite a bit easier in God of War 1, you'll probably die more on some of the platforming areas.

I just started God of War 2 last night and wow, I can't believe how polished it is. The last time I finished it, I actually didn't feel like it was any better than the original but now (after finishing GoW1 twice to get the platinum) I'm having a blast.

Unco-ordinated on
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I got this for Christmas! Good God the first game is harder than I remembered. I planned on not unlocking "Getting My Ass Kicked" on my first playthrough (on normal, even), but, well, oops. Because of that stupid goddamn platforming across beams with spinning bladed beams. Fuck that.

And then I got to the minotaur. Really, fuck that boss.

I'm not sure I can play through it again to get the "Finish it in 5 hours" trophy. Because I don't think I can manage it, even on Easy.

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Darth_Mogs wrote: »
    I got this for Christmas! Good God the first game is harder than I remembered. I planned on not unlocking "Getting My Ass Kicked" on my first playthrough (on normal, even), but, well, oops. Because of that stupid goddamn platforming across beams with spinning bladed beams. Fuck that.

I'm not sure I can play through it again to get the "Finish it in 5 hours" trophy. Because I don't think I can manage it, even on Easy.

Man, I love the minotaur. His QTE's can be annoying at first but the end to that fight's awesome.

As for the 5 hour trophy, it's actually surprisingly easy. Just try to finish the Challenge of the Gods beforehand and use the Cow/Milk costume. Then you just don't bother running around for the chests, try to skip as many fights as you can and spam Poseidon's Rage in every fight you can't avoid. I think I finished it with a final time of around 3:30.

Anyway, I platinumed God of War II two or three days ago. Biggest pain in the ass was the last challenge, where you have to beat a bunch of guys without getting hit, it was pretty frustrating. The game looked amazing though, I'm shocked it ran on a PS2 (and still looks better than quite a few games, including the ones ripping it off, like Dante's Inferno).

Now I think I'll play Chains of Olympus again sometime in January or February, to fully catch me up on the series.

Unco-ordinated on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

Man, I love the minotaur. His QTE's can be annoying at first but the end to that fight's awesome.

As for the 5 hour trophy, it's actually surprisingly easy. Just try to finish the Challenge of the Gods beforehand and use the Cow/Milk costume. Then you just don't bother running around for the chests, try to skip as many fights as you can and spam Poseidon's Rage in every fight you can't avoid. I think I finished it with a final time of around 3:30.

Anyway, I platinumed God of War II two or three days ago. Biggest pain in the ass was the last challenge, where you have to beat a bunch of guys without getting hit, it was pretty frustrating. The game looked amazing though, I'm shocked it ran on a PS2 (and still looks better than quite a few games, including the ones ripping it off, like Dante's Inferno).

Now I think I'll play Chains of Olympus again sometime in January or February, to fully catch me up on the series.

I just don't like him because I made it to the final form three times and died all three times. Pretty easily. Because he would catch me with the Hell Pits, and then open the big arch of hell in front of him while I was lying on the ground. And kept getting hit.

I dunno about the Challenge of the Gods. I never beat -any- of those (for GoW, 2, and CoO) and believe me, I tried. Maybe I've gotten better since then but....I'm not so sure. We'll see though!

Darth_Mogs on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I just don't like him because I made it to the final form three times and died all three times. Pretty easily. Because he would catch me with the Hell Pits, and then open the big arch of hell in front of him while I was lying on the ground. And kept getting hit.

I dunno about the Challenge of the Gods. I never beat -any- of those (for GoW, 2, and CoO) and believe me, I tried. Maybe I've gotten better since then but....I'm not so sure. We'll see though!

I'm not exactly crazy good at the game myself, I'd probably get my ass completely handed to me on anything above Normal mode. But God of War 1's challenges aren't that bad, the last ones the one that gave me the most troubles but after getting some tips online, it didn't take too long.

Unco-ordinated on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    So, after almost twisting my controller in half, I beat the Challenge of the Gods! Woo! I guess I'll try to speed it tomorrow. Maybe.

I'm surprised I made it. Only the fifth, the "Don't get hit" and the last challenge really gave me problems. The last one was the fucking worst though, and whoever was responsible for it needs their head pummeled with a rock.

Darth_Mogs on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    And Platinum get.

My time after saving at the last save point was 3:03:03. Which is about an hour quicker than I expected. I also surprisingly got the Maxed Out trophy this time around, even though I didn't stop for many chests or killings. I suppose the Cow Outfit doubles those or something.

There's something very satisfying about watching a man in a Cow Suit (well, a -giant- man in a -giant- cow suit) jumping in the air and stabbing Ares in the neck.

Darth_Mogs on
  • Options
    Chris FOMChris FOM Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Been having a blast with this compilation. Beat God of War on Spartan last Thursday, will start God of War II after I clear The Saboteur. This was a great reminder, though, of just how good the first two-thirds or so of God of War is, and just how damned terrible the last third is. The game takes a turn for the worst after the Mecha Minotaur, and things completely fall apart and never recover during the Path of Hades.

Chris FOM on
  • Options
    MahoshonenMahoshonen Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Chris FOM wrote: »
    Been having a blast with this compilation. Beat God of War on Spartan last Thursday, will start God of War II after I clear The Saboteur. This was a great reminder, though, of just how good the first two-thirds or so of God of War is, and just how damned terrible the last third is. The game takes a turn for the worst after the Mecha Minotaur, and things completely fall apart and never recover during the Path of Hades.

The only part of the final third of God of War that really pissed me off was the spiked pillars. Of course, the whole game feels so bland when put next to God of War II

Mahoshonen on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Mahoshonen wrote: »

The only part of the final third of God of War that really pissed me off was the spiked pillars. Of course, the whole game feels so bland when put next to God of War II

It's not really a question of pissing me off (the only parts that really drove me crazy were the first time I played the spike pillars and this time, on Spartan, Ares second form), it's the fact that after the Mecha Minotaur there are so many terrible decisions at the level of the basic game design. Like keeping you in that damned Temple for over half the game. That the Challenges of Atlas and Hades, along with the Cliffs of Madness, all combined to be nothing more than extended key hunts. The Cliffs of Madness, the supposed maze with no way out, were as straightforward in progression of the rest of the game and required no thinking whatsoever. There being no boss before Pandora's Box but instead an extended battle against Harpies and archers that would be incredibly easy if the floor wasn't your biggest enemy of all. The Underworld being nothing more than rotating logs and pillars with the occasional archer. The fact that Kratos is saved from the Underworld by a rope dropped through a grave. That the almighty power of Pandora's Box is nothing more than making you really, really big. And that the last portion of the final boss fight requires you to throw away everything you learned about the games combat system while simultaneously being overly punishing of any mistakes and frequently unfair.

I can go on, but to really get the point across you have to dissect the entire course of the game and how things to progress, but basically God of War is a really fun game with some terrific mechanics, but the game is deeply flawed with a number of truly terrible design decisions. As a complete experience it really doesn't hold up all that well, especially since the last bits of gameplay (outside of the ending itself, which was very good) leave such a sour taste in your mouth.

Chris FOM on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    So irritating that I can't get this in Australia yet without importing it. Oh well, I'll get that trilogy special edition thing they're doing for Europe instead.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    There -was- supposed to be a boss before Pandora's Box, but it got cut due to time. Not really that good of an excuse, but still.

Darth_Mogs on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    It's not even a poor excuse, it's no excuse. What matters isn't what was supposed to be in the game; what matters is what is in the game. There's no boss, the fight that took the place of a boss is poorly done, and it's simply not an enjoyable experience. The spikes were also supposed to be playtested more, but they ran out of time there as well and just said "Ship it like it is." If God of War had been better designed it could have been an all-time classic, and if my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle. Instead she's my aunt, and God of War is a very good game that collapses under its flaws down the stretch. That I like it as much as I do despite that says a lot about just how damned good everything else is.

Chris FOM on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    So irritating that I can't get this in Australia yet without importing it. Oh well, I'll get that trilogy special edition thing they're doing for Europe instead.

Just import it. It's cheaper than getting the GoW3 super ridiculous edition and uncensored too (which the PAL one probably won't be).

As for God of War 1, yeah, the last third of it was a lot worse than I remembered it being.

I really wish the Ares fight was a lot more like GoW2's Colossus. Re-use some of the Athens areas while you fight off Ares' fist/foot, some QTE's that mess up Ares' face. Pandora's Box should've just absorbed Ares' powers, making him mortal. Kratos could then realise that the gods didn't give a crap if Ares had killed him, so long as he delivered Pandora's Box and that'd lead into GoW2 well.

Unco-ordinated on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Knocked off the Challenge of the Gods today. Damn I'd forgotten how painful challenge 10 is. Two enemies that block most of your attacks and have extended combos that shove you around even when blocking+three other really fast enemies with high knock-back attacks+no magic+small platform for combat=utter chaos, a royal pain in the ass, and not much fun. The other nine challenges were lots of fun and really made you play the game in different ways and make use of all the mechanics, but challenge 10 was again just really poor design. Did they really find it enjoyable when playtesting it?

Ah well, now all that remains is the five hour speed run and I've got the Platinum. Then off to God of War II which I've heard is far better balanced with much better pacing. Really looking forward to that one.

Chris FOM on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    It's not even a poor excuse, it's no excuse. What matters isn't what was supposed to be in the game; what matters is what is in the game. There's no boss, the fight that took the place of a boss is poorly done, and it's simply not an enjoyable experience. The spikes were also supposed to be playtested more, but they ran out of time there as well and just said "Ship it like it is." If God of War had been better designed it could have been an all-time classic, and if my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle. Instead she's my aunt, and God of War is a very good game that collapses under its flaws down the stretch. That I like it as much as I do despite that says a lot about just how damned good everything else is.

I think God of War is an all-time classic, despite some faults. I really can't think of anything outright poorly designed except for the final fight.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Just import it. It's cheaper than getting the GoW3 super ridiculous edition and uncensored too (which the PAL one probably won't be).

The unrated games are already here on PS2. If they make them censor higher res versions, they're going to look even stupider than they already are. And I want the trilogy box.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

The unrated games are already here on PS2. If they make them censor higher res versions, they're going to look even stupider than they already are. And I want the trilogy box.

... You realise the PAL version of God of War 1 was censored, right?

Unco-ordinated on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Aaaand, God of War 2 beat. Will be doing the Challenges tomorrow, as I did the first two tonight. The third one was just a bit too tricky for me with a migraine.

Goddamn, I forgot just how much better 2 is than the first. If I had to, I'd make the Uncharted comparison. The first is great, but the sequel is just above and beyond fantastic.

I really really hope some other people jump on the Up-Port Idea, because this has just been a blast and I think pretty much any game series that's conceivably up for doing the same thing is something I would buy in a heartbeat.

Edit: Also, goddamn, the end boss was a lot easier this time around for some reason. The QTE caught me -once- this time, and I remember fighting with that fucking thing for like an hour the first time I tried to play it all those years ago. Maybe I'm just better at QTEs now or something.

Darth_Mogs on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Just beat God of War 1 (after playing God of War 2 first!). Loved it despite being clearly inferior to God of War 2. Was shocked to see so few boss fights -- only 3 in the whole game?! QTEs were hardly used at all, too.

And fuck those spinning spike columns!!!

hottoq on
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Just beat God of War 1 (after playing God of War 2 first!). Loved it despite being clearly inferior to God of War 2. Was shocked to see so few boss fights -- only 3 in the whole game?! QTEs were hardly used at all, too.

And fuck those spinning spike columns!!!

Yeah II had a lot of wicked boss fights. I'm very fond of
    the 2D silhouetted battle against the last Spartan and the Kraken
    , but the series has never achieved the same level of "omfg that is fucking awesome" that it did with the Hydra from 1. Not even the Colossus of Rhodes managed it.

If GoWIII tops the Hydra fight it'll be $60 well spent.

Also - it's likely already in the thread - but on the off chance it's not:

20070319.jpg

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    edited January 2010

How so? I remember seeing boobies.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

You're approaching it the wrong way. Your stupid Australian ratings board seems to be perfectly fine with ridiculous violence but nudity? No way man. Whereas the Germans (the other PAL censorship pain in the ass) are fine with nudity but excessive violence? Hell no. In this case, sacrificing a dude in an oven while he's screaming for his life was probably a little too similar to that thing that happened in Germany 50 odd years ago...

Unco-ordinated on
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I thought it was weird that a guy who had to have killed a few hundred undead soldiers to get that far would give up and die just because he had to set one on fire.
    Knowing it was supposed to be a living person made that section make a lot more sense to me.

klemming on
    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

You're approaching it the wrong way. Your stupid Australian ratings board seems to be perfectly fine with ridiculous violence but nudity? No way man. Whereas the Germans (the other PAL censorship pain in the ass) are fine with nudity but excessive violence? Hell no. In this case, sacrificing a dude in an oven while he's screaming for his life was probably a little too similar to that thing that happened in Germany 50 odd years ago...

Actually sexual stuff is okay but not violence or drugs.

You're confusing australia with america.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Antihippy wrote: »
    Actually sexual stuff is okay but not violence or drugs.

You're confusing australia with america.

Yeah, there are generally more games banned due to violence but the number of games banned because of sexual stuff is still ridiculous. According to Wiki, Sexy Poker had all the nudity edited out of the WiiWare release and it was still banned.

And come on, Australia is essentially America Jr.

Anyway, I originally didn't care for GoW1's censorship but playing the US version of GoW1 now, I do actually think it makes a difference. Sacrificing a random monster makes no sense at all, they may as well've cut that bit out entirely.

Unco-ordinated on
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    That's more due to not having an AO/18+ rating for games because, honestly, all the games that were banned for sexual content seem like they need an AO/18+ rating. Meanwhile you could still get the playboy game at any ebgames if they have them and hire out trannies at the Pearl in dragon age. There's also Fahrenheit, where I think we have the uncensored version along with other PAL territories. The need to ban them is still pretty lame, though I guess it's more due to the lack of an appropriate rating.

I still can't understand why high impact violence would still get banned and not MA15+ at most. Planet terror was MA15+ for crying out loud. :lol:

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    woah woah woah. sexy poker for the Wii? Why have I not played this.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg