As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Dogs in the Vineyard - IC/OOC] The Sins of Memphisto

• Options
    jimninjajimninja Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Bundling the infant into one blanket, Esau hefts the rest into his other arm. "We ain't got the time to bury him here... we're gonna have to get him on his horse somehow, ride him back to town." How they would balance a dead man on a horse, he wasn't sure, but they sure as hell couldn't stay out here in the frozen night digging a hole in the dust--surrounded by Mountain folk who just lost their leader, and coyotes, and only the King of Life knows what else.

He hands Prudence a blanket. "Put this on, Sister." Moving back towards John, and the late Brother Watchdog Atkinson.

jimninja on
    0198ec55.jpg
  • Options
    summerycleptsummeryclept Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    "Huh?" Oh. She does. She puts on the blanket.

Moving from the Steward, she goes to the corpses in front of her - Witch, Dog, all - and murmurs out her half-sick scripture, something official, only afloat her breath.

Prudence wants to help, truly she does - put Napthali on a horse, watch the baby, do something, she doesn't want to be no dead weight - but she is merely stable right now, not better. Each step is like an earthquake behind her eyes, a tidal wave hitting her vision. Simply, she wanders around, following whoever looks to be doing something important, as if to say, "I'm with you in spirit, friends."
    good luck on your job, simon. some words of wisdom i live by: try not to pee on your coworkers

summeryclept on
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I am going to go on and assume you guys want to head back to Memphisto now, and there isn't exactly anything left to fight over - nobody seems to want to bury the Mountain Witch, Esau has taken the baby with him, Prudence is too out of it to do anything right now, and Lorenzo's needs John back alive.

Sorry if I messed up any of your plans, but it didn't seem like there was anything left to do here!

It takes time to organise, but the Faithful there among the blood and dust eventually get everything sorted. Clutching his chest and using his rifle as a kind of walking stick, John follows close behind Lorenzo, himself clutching in two arms the blanket-wrapped corpse of Brother Napthali Atkinson, carrying him like a bride across the threshold.

Prudence and Esau, occupied with their own thoughts and wailing children, lead the way back to the horses, where an arrangement is figured out - everyone riding their own horse, with Napthali slung over the saddle of Aristobulus and secured in place with rope. It was hardly a dignified way for him to return to Memphisto, but there was no way they could set him upright on his horse.

As they trot their horses back to town, the night comes on. It's very calm.

Guided by the single point of light to the west, the four riders and child make it back to Memphisto unaccosted by beast or man.

And there at the edge of town, Olive and Faith are waiting.

Though he raises his hand in greeting, Lorenzo doesn't say anything. None of the Memphisto residents do; half of them are too weary to talk right now, and the other half are frozen in shock at the sight of so much blood, a screaming child and a body wrapped up and thrown over a horse like a bag of grain.

Olive shakes herself out of it quickly, and taps Faith on the shoulder, saying, "<Go help your husband.>"

Faith obediently moves over to Lorenzo, making to assist him off his horse, while Olive quickly moves over to Esau and offers her hands up to the Dog. "I'll take the child," she says calmly, though there's a fear lying in that voice over what's happened out there in the wild lands where she couldn't be.

Fear over what's coming back to Memphisto.

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    nobody cares about the witch! i like that fact. we all had reasons for not fucking with her - esau worried about the infant, lorenzo about john and the marriage, and prudence because of not feeling good, but anyway you slice it, we just told that lady to fuck off. isn't this game awesome? we're constantly evolving, constantly changing, and constantly making moral statements with every thing we do, even something small.

Talking low to Brother Esau: "Never stops pilin' up, does it?"

And then: "I don't think I said I was sorry, right proper. I ain't got much respect fer yer kin, that much is bare, but I ain't got much lookin' out fer any non-Faithful. But I'll be, good Brother Esau, I more than owe you one. Sorry fer all the hardship I gave your way, and sorry fer abandonin' you in that gunfight.

"None of it's right, and you helpin' me like you did. Hope you know, I rightly do feel ashamed."

The baby, the marriage, all of the pieces, the sum the parts, not yet whole - it's not her jurisdiction. But, hah, don't you know it, it is. It's what she's called to do. She's here, Esau's here, all to make the hard choices these people can't do themselves. But that doesn't mean an uncomfortable sliver of cold, creeping chill doesn't go sliding down her neck and throat at the thought of it all.

summeryclept on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    "I appreciate that a lot, Sister--I really do. And truth be told, I ain't been that goodly myself. You been standin' up, callin' out what you see. I ain't been doin' that. I been scared, real scared, actually.

"So you don't owe me nothin', Sister, except to stand with me, and I'll stand with you too. I'll keep you honest if you keep me strong--sound fair? We Dogs are gonna have stick together." He smiles a little in the dark.

Olive approaches, hands outstretched. Esau doesn't give her the baby. He's too tired to be petty--no, what he's thinkin' is that Olive's got her man here, that maybe childless Faith ought to take this little girl.

"If you don't mind, Sister Olive," he says quietly, "I think maybe Faith over there ought to take her instead. Why don't you help John--he needs tendin' to."

jimninja on
    0198ec55.jpg
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Olive looks up at Esau for a moment, then gives a quick nod, an appreciative smile, and moves over to where John's struggling to dismount from his own horse. He tries to shrug her off, not wanting any help from her, but that aching in his chest kicks in and he nearly collapses out of his saddle. With Olive's help, he gets to the ground, but as soon as he lands feet he turns away from Olive and looks over at the rest of the gang.

Lorenzo, his face bruising up quite fierce and nose slightly crooked, has also gotten off his horse. Keeping one hand on his steed, he shows the other to Faith and points it over at Esau, indicating for her to go help him.

Two more people show up out of the darkness.

From inside the chapel comes Pete Stars, who hurries himself over to the arriving folk and tries to make himself as useful as he can be. He freezes in his step when he sees Napthali's body, but recovers quickly and keeps doing what he can.

John looks over and sees Unity standing there, outside her home. Even though it's dark, you can see a glistening wetness sparkling out from her eyes, and John smiles back. Olive notices, of course, and is quick to place an arm in John's and a hand on his shoulder, saying, "Come on, John, we need to get you into a warm bed."

Unity walks over quickly, but Lorenzo grabs her arm and holds her in place, only a few yards away from John.

Shocked and incertain, John holds his footing as Olive tries to move him away, then asks, "What the hell are you doing, Steward?"

"Dogs agreed with me, John," comes the Steward's reply, "They're going to marry you to Olive. Don't see any reason for you to be associating with your Mountain Woman anymore, since you'll be a married man soon enough."

Clutching his chest, Brother John looks over at Esau and Prudence and questions, "This true, Watchdogs?"

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    "Easy to claim this 'n that, ain't it, when you got the sorcery o' demons at yer disposal." Prudence yawns. Why did she even get up, back at the mountains? Why not just fall asleep forever?

"Good Brother Esau was hoodwinked, Brother John! I'm sure you know all about how slippery these two can be."

summeryclept on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Esau dismounts his horse, hands the child to Faith as she approaches. Quietly, he says to her: <"Take her in the house--things might be gettin' ugly."> He's probably not going to be overly popular with the Oatman family shortly... maybe if she's got a child to think of, Faith will settle down, stop agitatin' for divorce, and he can focus on the web of issues at hand without Lorenzo goin' off the hook when his wife tries to leave him.

Clomp, clomp, he moves over to Prudence. "Given recent history, I ain't too inclined to marry anybody. One of God's Watchdogs dead, and one assaulted. Sinners, all of you, blood on your hands!"

He spits on the ground. "Y'all want a wedding? I ain't marryin' nobody til I hear a good Goddamned reason why Napthali's dead, John, or why you almost beat Prudence to death, Steward!"

jimninja on
    0198ec55.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    "Language, Brother! And don't forget Sister Unity, too! Had to drive the Steward off'a her earlier today, Lord knows what would've happened we wasn't there!"

summeryclept on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Silence reigns for a few moments as the Dogs speak their piece. Incertain, almost human, the people of Memphisto gather their thoughts and try to think of something, anything to say in response to these wild words.

John's the first to speak up, saying, "I told you already, Watchdog - Napthali took a shot at me, and I returned fire. He tried to kill me, because I was about to deliver judgement on that Mountain Witch who'd been cursing Unity. Don't blame me for his wrong-doing, and you're sure as hell not going to make me feel bad about defending myself!"

There's an anger in his voice that goes deeper than just just the fact he was shot at - he was defending more than just himself, that hour, he was defending something he loves more than life itself. Unity.

Spurred by the Brother's reply, Lorenzo delivers his own answer to Esau's question - "You saw what happened, Esau! Your Sister was about to kill a wounded man, then when I told her to stop, she smashed me in the face with her goddamn shotgun! You didn't lift a finger to stop her, now did you?"

He's shaking with anger, face redder than it has been all day. Unity squeals a little as his grip on her arm tightens, but her vain struggles to get away from him don't do any good.

"You damn Watchdogs haven't brought anything to this town except violence and ruin," he continues, "You don't care about the people in Memphisto, you just care about your own damn hides. Protecting the congregation? Hah! You've opened more wounds than were here before!"

Faith's holding that baby, but she doesn't know what's going on anymore. Esau told her to go inside, but she's been taught by Olive that when Lorenzo talks like that, she isn't meant to do anything. Might just make him angrier.

Frozen, she watches as Lorenzo raises one pointed finger at Esau.

"You're going to marry John and Olive, and then you're going to ride out of town. Watchdogs are the problem here."

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    the hell you say, son

CONFLICT: fuckin Lorenzo. If John wants in, I got his shit too. oh ho ho just let him and Olive both come in, that would be delightful as hell (but really that's too many dice for you to roll, magic man)

THE STAKES: does Lorenzo admit that he has failed in his duties? / Does John admit that he's committed murder?

OPENING ARENA: Physical (gun drawn and pointed is physical, yes?)

physical, gun, imposing = [9, 3, 2, 2, 2, 6, 5, 6, 1, 5, 4, 2]

(dice: 9, 6, 6, 5, 5, 4, 3, 2, 2, 2, 2)

RAISE:
    Esau's nostrils flare, and quick as a blink his gun's out, pointed at Lorenzo. He may not like to shoot it, but he knows where power flows from. Where authority is. He may not have the voice of the Steward, but he's taller, and broader, and he ain't no mouse as he shouts back:

"The problem here is pride! Y'all sinners too proud to be judged! John shot a Dog 'cause that Dog told him what he was doin' was wrong, tried to stop him doin' what he had been told not to do by a Dog! Lorenzo beat a Dog's lights out when she tried to lay judgement, as is her God-given duty! The way I see it, two parties here're guilty of attackin' the King of Life's servants in the line of duty, because they're just so sure they know better that they let demonic temptation get the better of them!"

Lightning in his eyes. He will not back down. Howling at Lorenzo: "You're so determined to put your family first, Lorenzo, that you done neglected the wishes of your flock, ignored what John and Unity really wanted, and you drove a man to murder--and now we gotta lay judgement on his head, because of you! You failed your flock, Steward, and wolves are among them!"
    (dice: 6, 5)

jimninja on
    0198ec55.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    can i be all up in that?

summeryclept on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Man, that's a little bit crazy!

Alright, so what you're specifically saying "no" to is the idea that the Watchdogs are the ones causing all the problems in town, which is understandable! It is a brash accusation. But since we can't really have two sets of stakes, we'll combine the two targets to make something like "Do John and Lorenzo admit their faults in the matters at hand?"

I also never imagined these two working on the same team, so this conflict is probably going to be nuts for me to write for the first few Raises and Sees.

I'm going to roll them as seperate entities, and if Prudence is getting in on this as well, we'll wait until everyone has rolled their dice before moving on to the next Raise.

Lorenzo's dice...
    Body 4 + Heart 2 (6d6=2,1,4,3,6,3)
    "My flock comes before the Dogs" (1d6=2)

(dice: 6,4,3,3,2,2,1)

TAKING THE BLOW:
    Lorenzo could think of so many things he should say to Esau in response to his base accusations - putting his family first, ignoring the wishes of John and Unity, the justification behind Napthali's death - but there was one thing that he couldn't get his mind over, one thing that stopped his train of thought dead in its tracks.

Neglect was such a strong word.

He knew he'd messed up in some cases, but everything he'd been doing, he'd been doing for the good of Memphisto. Wasn't there reason behind the seperation of John and Unity? A rhyme behind his decision to get Olive married? It was all done to try and build Memphisto into something stronger than it was, even if that meant breaking the rules sometimes.

His grip on Unity loosened, and the beautiful Mountain Woman tumbled blindly out and away into the darkness. Lorenzo wanted to say something in response, but now Esau had gone and gotten him thinking hard about his Stewardship.

Such a strong word.
    (dice: 3,3,2,2,1)

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    can i be all up in that?
    oh necessarily

jimninja on
    0198ec55.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    (dice: 2, 6, 6, 2, 3, 1, 2)

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2308654/

With a 12, that makes me next, yes?

RAISE:
    "Hear! Brother Esau's got it right - y'all just seem to want to have our approval for yer own judgments, not our guidance! You!" She points to Brother John, "You shot a Dog dead, like some ol' mangy hound ain't no use fer no more. Hauled off an' murdered some poor woman up in the mountains, when she ain't even the witch! Y'all want demons, look right around you. Sister Olive, cursing and hexing the woman her beloved John's got eyes for - Brother John, a wicked force bearing arms against us, patrons of the Word of the King, well ain't that right in tune with a demon's way o' thinkin'? - an' the chief himself, Steward," she says the title mockingly, scrunching up her face while gripping the reins, "Lorenzo, worryin' about his own family before the congregation, beatin' an' conspirin' against those who disapprove!

"Sinners! Heretics! Demons, all!"

(dice: 6, 6)

summeryclept on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I'm going to make the assumption that was targetted at both Lorenzo and John, since it makes more sense that way - remember, you guys have to say that at the end of your Raise, or I'll just assume the last person mentioned is the target.

Lorenzo uses "I'm a Branch Steward" (2d10=10,7)
    John uses "Things are true because I believe in them" (2d8=7,2)

(Lorenzo's dice: 10,7,6,4) (fallout: 5d4)
    (John's dice: 7,7,5,5,4,2,2,2,1,1,1,1) (fallout: 5d4)

SEE/TAKING THE BLOW:
    All his life, John's thought that what he believed was above anything else in this world, because if he believed in it, it had to be the truth - he believed in the King of Life, he believed in love, he believed in the preservation of those things. If killing a witch meant saving someone you loved, then that was the right thing to do. Wasn't it?

That woman in the mountains had to be a witch, what else could she be? That child wasn't hers, it belonged to one of her heathen followers, probably going to be sacrificed to their demon gods the next harvest moon...

He kept on trying, but John realised that he wasn't really believing himself anymore.

But then there was the Steward, roused up from his momentary weakness and filled with the fire and brimstone of authority, looking down his nose upon the girl who tried to trick him into thinking he was in the wrong, here. Prudence was preaching about things she didn't understand, things she could never know unless she was the steward of a branch. People kept secrets, people didn't reveal the truth to the Dogs when they came calling - but a Steward held a special place in their hidden lives.

Lorenzo knew this town better than Prudence would ever understand. He sure as hell wasn't the sinner here.
    (Lorenzo's dice: 7,6)
    (John's dice: 5,2,2,2,1)

John uses "Sometimes a man has to do bad things" (1d10=7)

RAISE:
    "I did it because I had to," pipes up a weak-voiced John.

The fire below his skin has been kindled once more, and he struggles to find his footing as he steps forward towards the Dogs, still clutching that cotton-stuffed wound of his. Olive has been well shrugged-away by now, finding herself outside of this conflict entirely. It's a battle between men, now - and one little girl.

"Unity was sick and dying, ain't nothing that could help her. Nobody else in town sick, had to be a curse of some kind. Nobody in town would or could do anything like that. I knew the Mountain People were trying to punish her, maybe even kill her for embracing the King of Life. I'd do anything for Unity, even ride into the mountains and kill a powerful witch, just to see her smile again. King of Life puts love above everything else, doesn't he?"

His voice trembling from weakness, John looks at Prudence and keeps going, taking another few steps forward.

"I heard what happened, out there. You tried to kill me, before you knew anything about what happened up in the mountains. Then, when Lorenzo tried to talk some sense into you, you tried to kill him. Beat his head in. Shot at him with a gun. Now, what I did? It may have been a bad thing to do, but I did it for the right reasons."

John takes a deep breath before concluding his piece with three simple words - "What's your excuse?"
    (John's dice: 7,5)
    Prudence must See.

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    yikes, sorry about that! i will remember to declare targets with all my beautiful, orgasmic dream-prose from now on. yes, though, targeted at both of them.
    I get intimidated and offended when people are smarter than me 3d4 = 2, 1, 3
    http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2309922/

(dice: 2, 2, 2, 2, 3, 3, 1, 1) Fallout 5d4

SEE:
    It'd be easy to pipe up and scream, Oh I'm a Dog, that's all the 'scuse I need! I lay down the judgment and the fire and penalty!

"No! He! He beat my head in! Knocked me clean with a rock!"

That's her defense. All she can muster. She did make assumptions without even checking with Esau. Prudence saw the blood of a friend and assumed the worst. And, Brother John - is he admitting guilt? He is. But he did do it for the right reasons. He did it out of love.

Prudence, she'd do the same. She was about to! She was aiming to murder Brother John right there, out of love for a fallen friend.

The girl's face goes red, and she just mumbles more about how, No, Lorenzo had... he had that rock. He did. But she shuts up, she doesn't answer.

She was still on guard, mind you. She knew the demons could be tricky. But they couldn't show love, could they?
    (dice: 3, 3, 2, 2, 2) taking the blow

summeryclept on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

(Lorenzo's dice: 10,4,4) (fallout: 5d4)
    (John's dice: 7,4,1,1,1) (fallout: 5d4)

RAISE:
    "The Dogs even tell lies now, ignoring why people did things!"

The horses buck and bray as Lorenzo's voice resonates in the empty night, penetrating right to the core of a person's soul. It's a preacher's voice, the kind that makes a person stand up to attention and really listen to what he has to say. Now he's standing tall behind an imaginary pulpit, giving the day's sermon on judgment and authority.

Raising a crooked finger to Prudence, Lorenzo continues, "I do not deny I hit you with a rock, girl, but only after you ignored my wish for you to think of your actions before killing a wounded man whom you had no evidence against! Instead of listening to me, you attacked me with your gun, breaking my face with it!

"Esau, you're equally as guilty! Didn't try and talk any sense into her, didn't try to stop her from killing a man based on petty, assumed revenge - all you did was sit there, watching as your puppy friend attacked two people because they didn't precisely align with her way of thinkin'!

"You can accuse this town and its people of all the sin you want, but do you really think we'll listen? How can we trust the vision of Dogs who are blind to the sins of those they are closest to?"
    (Lorenzo's dice: 10,4)
    Esau and Prudence must See.

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    i'm going to have to give this one early and hope for a good follow-up conflict. i just don't think i can scrounge up the dice for this.

so, Prudence can't lay the blame like she thought she could.

GIVE (taking a 2)

Scowling at the Steward, little Prudence Sprague once again curls up inside herself and backs down. Words aren't her arena - fighting and laying righteous law, that's what she's here for. Didn't become a Watchdog to sit around and mince words.

Brother John turned her into a hypocrite, and the Steward's looking less like a demon and more like a person who, while selfish in interest, is just trying to stop everything from going to hell around him - a hell the Dogs ushered in.

However, she doesn't have the energy or the heart right now to try for it. She's starting to think her gun is cursed, it's done nothing but get thrown back in her face. Her head still hurts, she's tired, and she just can't do this right now. It's too late at night for reflecting on a moral crisis.

"I've had just about enough o' this. I can't... I can't think right now. Brother Esau? My head... I need to git..."
    okay, so fallout:

Fallout = 4, 1, 4, 3, 4.
    http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2310681/

My sum is 8, and I have a 1.
    Lasting harm: Dizziness and lack of focus 1d4 (a situational thing. Sometimes her head gets to swimmin', and she needs a good sit)
    Good Fallout: I can't find much that comes from this, as I want to avoid taking new traits and instead, I want to build up what I already have. Right now, Prudence is an assortment of weak rolls, and it's not doing me any favors. But this conflict, that won't work - I'll have to go with a relationship change. I figure it can go either way here, John or the Steward, but... no, totally the Steward. John and I have bad blood, by Lorenzo and I have history. +1d4 to my relationship with the Steward?
    I scoured the thread for changes I made to my character due to Fallout. This was a quick search, so if any of this isn't current or was vetoed, disregard:
    • +1d6 to "I will protect myself in this den of sinners"
    • "Violence don't scare me none" went from 1d10 to 1d4.
    • Relationship with the Steward at 2d4, and now at 3d4.
    • Dizziness and lack of focus 1d4.
    • Relationship with Esau at 1d6

summeryclept on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Don't feel bad, summery, you still ate a couple of Lorenzo's and John's good dice for me!

simon, that blow taking narration is acceptable, right, since I'm acquiescing to his accusations of standing down and letting Prudence do what she wanted? cause i'm ready to step up with those big dice for my raise

(dice: 9, 5, 6, 4, 3, 2, 2, 2, 2)

SEE:
    Esau steps in front of Prudence, shielding her (well, her horse, anyway) from Lorenzo and John, gun still out, but down just a little--he's talking over it, maybe even hiding behind it. The trial is afoot, here, and it is of him too, a test of his endurance. He has backed down in the face of adversity before. But no more.

"Tell me again what sin Napthali committed, Steward, in askin' for evidence of a person's guilt! Tell me what sin Prudence committed in passin' judgement upon the man who shot a Dog! So maybe I did stand aside, let Prudence do somethin' I wouldn't do! And maybe I didn't judge her actions, hell, or see fit to do so now! But you know why? Because we been judged, by the Elders in Bridal Falls! And just 'cause I disagree with her course o' action don't make it wrong, nor does it make mine wrong! That's for the King of Life to decide!"
    (dice: 9, 5)

RAISE:
    He swings his gun over at John. "But you! It ain't your place to judge! You run off into the mountains guns a-blazin', never stop to think maybe the Dogs want to help you despite your pigheadedness! That the Dogs come to drive out the demons that creep in the dark! You know, right after you and he rode off, Sister Watchdog and I healed Unity? That's right, we exorcised the demons from her! We did our job--and when Napthali tried to stop you, he was doin' his job, by tryin' to prevent a Faithful soul from doin' somethin' dangerous and stupid! And when he shot you, he was takin' the weight of murder onto his soul to save yours, John!"

He will persevere. Today has been a rough day, but it has shaped him, cast him, given him strength where he should have found none.

"There are demons afoot in this very town," he cries, "and they have blinded you all to the weight of your deeds! They have whispered in your ears, assault the Faithful, murder the faithless, take that which you want, and you have succumbed to the temptation! Brothers, you--have--sinned!"

He lowers his voice, lowers his gun.

"And Brothers, the Dogs are here to drive that sin out."

(dice: 6, 4)

(dice: 3, 2, 2, 2, 2)

John and Lorenzo must See.

jimninja on
    0198ec55.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Man I don't know

Your blow taking had a pretty heavy hand of "yeah but I'm still awesome" to it, more so than any other one we've played in the game. It really came across as more of a See, honestly, because it doesn't seem like Esau is actually damaged by the blow at all. Especially since he doesn't admit that he and Prudence have been wrong at any point, which was part of the Raise.

Yeah, I have to object to it - you defended against his parable of you doing nothing, but you didn't address the heart of the Raise, which was the fact that the town hasn't really got a reason to trust you guys.

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    okay no problem, I'll shuffle the dice around! I thought it seemed a little suspect but I was in the zone 8-)

okay done, new raise is 6 4 which is not as good as I wanted but whatever, I'll get a blow turned at me when you roll another 10 :)

jimninja on
    0198ec55.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Lorenzo escalates to Talking - Acuity 5 (5d6=6,3,2,2,1)
    John escalates to Talking - Acuity 4 (4d6=6,6,3,2)

(Lorenzo's dice: 6,4,3,2,2,1) (fallout: 5d4)
    (John's dice: 7,7,7,6,6,4,3,2,1,1,1) (fallout: 5d4)

SEE:
    Esau's words were strong, coming from him, but they did something different than what he was expecting. Maybe John and Lorenzo realised that trying to intimidate the Dogs wasn't going to win this day for them, so they switched to a different tactic - shedding that armour of imposing physicality, they instead bare their true hearts to Esau, expressing themselves just through their words.

"Everything I did, I did out of love for her," says Brother John.

"Whatever you think I've done, it was out of my love for this town and congregation," continues the Steward, his fire and brimstone sunk beneath the steaming surface of his voice, "The King of Life puts love above all else, Esau. If He didn't want us to do these things, he wouldn't have made it the most powerful of all our emotions."

Fallen on deaf ears, Esau's speech has done little to sway the two men from their position on the matter.
    (Lorenzo's dice: 6,4)
    (John's dice: 6,4)

"I'll do anything for the one I love" (2d10=14)

RAISE:
    "You just don't have the experience," says John, his hand still pressed against his wound, "You don't have the age, to understanding of what it takes, what things have to be done when it all comes down to dust. The way I see it, you're just a lost little puppy, tryin' to make sense of the big dog's world."

He thinks of Unity, thinks of how far he went to try and save her. Thinks of the joy in his heart when he saw her running up to him out of the darkness like a creature void of form. Thinks about how he wouldn't take back anything he did. Thinks about how it was all worth it, just to see her walking again.

John, looking at Esau, shakes his head slowly.

"Just admit you don't know what you're doing, Esau, and I'll forgive your mistakes."
    (John's dice: 7,6)

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    goddamn you to hell, simon

jimninja on
    0198ec55.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    we should just murder everyone, that will solve this problem

summeryclept on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    we should just murder everyone, that will solve this problem
    I am in accordance, my good gentledog

on three, then

jimninja on
    0198ec55.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    acuity + preacher of love = 5, 5, 2

it's too bad you don't want to pit the NPCs against each other simon because I'd love it if that were to happen here!

(dice: 5, 5, 3, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2)

TAKE THE BLOW (escalate to Talking/preacher of the Lord's love):
    The point of Esau's gun falls slowly, the air going out of him as the men change tack. Sympathy's returning. He remembers Unity's story of their love, of their tribulation, and he knows that the King of Life would smile down upon them in His loving glory. John really is another victim in the sad tale of Memphisto.

He can't say it--physically can't choke out the words, i'm sorry, i just want to do the Lord's work, you all turned against us makes it near impossible to do it right--but the look in his eyes as he meets John's gaze says it for him.
    (dice: 3, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2)

(dice: 5, 5) (fallout: 6d4)

jimninja on
    0198ec55.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    (Lorenzo's dice: 3,2,2,1) (fallout: 5d4)
    (John's dice: 7,7,3,2,1,1,1) (fallout: 5d4)

"My sister deserves to be happy" (1d10=2)

RAISE:
    Esau's quietness spurs Lorenzo to join the conversation again, with his own message of love and forgiveness for all to hear. But it seems like quiet conversation isn't the Steward's strong point; without the backing of a deep roar from his voice and a display of physical machismo, he almost seems meek and unconvincing.

"I'm, uh, the same as John, Esau," says the Steward, fumbling slightly, "Everything I did was done for the love of this town, the congregation I lead, and my family. I might have emphasised my sister's happiness above others, at times, but... but doesn't she deserve happiness, after all the suffering she's gone through? Don't you think so?"

He almost sounds like he doesn't even believe his own words.
    (Lorenzo's dice: 2,2)
    My main problem with the NPCs making conflicts against each other is the idea of me completely controlling the narrative - plus, I'd be able to game the system too much, even unintentionally. I mean, I'd be able to determine the way the conflict went entirely, because one side could make "bad raises" that get reversed over and over again by the guys I actually want to win.

That's why I will generally use NPCs with the same intent as you as assistants that give you small bonus dice. It's better than crippling the game entirely!

also where did my dice wizard powers go

a 2 off a d10, this is ridiculous

Oh, and unless you have two dice in your pool that total 14 next round, John will be going first - you went out of order, last time, but it's okay. After your See, it'll be the new round.

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    just realized looking at my statblock that I have 3 Acuity now after healing John, not 2 any more.

extra acuity die + daddy roughed me up = [4, 2]

(dice: 5, 5, 4, 2)

TURN THE BLOW:
    "By the same ticket, Steward," says Esau quietly, "don't everybody deserve to be happy? Don't we all suffer? Don't we all thank the Lord for it nonetheless, for when he taketh from us, surely He will give in His time?"

There might be a weak point here. He ain't sure if he can talk down John, but Lorenzo looked like he was on the fence.

"I know it's hard to swallow when kin's involved, Steward, but you've ignored the wishes o' your flock for the sake of your own happiness an' your sister's."
    (dice: 5)
    RAISE:
    "It ain't about spreadin' the joy around even sometimes, Steward. The Lord Above knows, I ain't had much joy in my life 'cept Him. Evil childhood, my own papa beatin' me silly, nothin' good or wholesome to sustain me, per near knocked the happiness right out of me. Does that mean I begrudge those around me who the King of Life blessed more in life?

"No!" Sudden outburst! "Because I know that He has a plan! I have my faith, and it sustains me! But Steward," and he drops his voice again, pleading-ordering, "you can't forget that. Even when it's your blood sister."
    (dice: 5, 2)

Lorenzo must See.

(dice: 5, 4) (fallout: 6d4)

jimninja on
    0198ec55.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Uh, the reversal is fine, but it's John's turn to Raise, not Esau's - remember, with the end of a round, the new order is determined by who has the highest two dice in their pools. With you having a 4 and a 5, at the time, you don't beat John's 14.

I'll write up a post in a minute!

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    hahahahaha goddam it sorry, I'll like comment that shit out or something

it is some kind of superpower to completely ignore something i was told the post above mine

jimninja on
    0198ec55.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    (Lorenzo's dice: 3,2,1) (fallout: 5d4)
    (John's dice: 7,7,7,4,3,2,1,1,1) (fallout: 5d4)

"I'm an expert in ordering people around" (2d8=7,4)

RAISE:
    John's feeling like hell, and he can see that everyone's nerves are being stretched to the breaking point. He might not agree with either Esau or Lorenzo, but he knows his side - the Dogs want to accuse everyone of demonic influence, and he just isn't going to lie down and let the whole town go under because he didn't stand up to the pressure.

But his chest hurts, and he's tired, and he can knows that his nemesis-ally and Mountain Dog opponent are both losing their senses. What people need is time to rest up, recover from the hardest, longest day anyone has known.

"We're all losing it," he says, putting on an authorative tone, "What we need is a good, long sleep. You two Dogs need to go rest up and consider what you're doing here, come back with fresh thoughts in the morning. Consider that an order."
    (John's dice: 7,4)

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    noooo goddam it I wanted to make it until I beat Lorenzo

I'll post tomorrow (in like thirteen hours or so, hopefully), I gotta think about if I can pull through this or not

also I want a bunch of 5d10 traits okay? I think that will help me to resolve conflicts

jimninja on
    0198ec55.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Thirty-six hours later, I hate you so hard.

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    8-) it's really been that long huh

by the way what's the rule on traits rolling, again--is it one per See/Raise, or is it one per See, one per Raise? Because I'd like to throw one more at Lorenzo on my way out; otherwise, this'll just be a give and I'll keep my 5 for next time

using that trait daddy roughed me up I rolled last time for a 2

(dice: 5, 5, 4, 2)

TAKE THE BLOW:
    That tone, that confidence. Echoes of his father's voice. Esau's insides contract almost instinctually. That confidence he felt, moments ago, that's gone, evaporating as he considers that maybe John ain't so guilty after all, a victim of circumstance. He tries to meet John's eye like a man as he backs away, but it takes a hell of an effort.

"Sister Prudence, let's go," he says, talking up to the top of the horse. "Let's get you laid down somewhere." Where, though? They're burning bridges faster than they're building them.
    (dice: 5, 5, 2)

jimninja on
    0198ec55.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    One per See, one per Raise - that's my general rule!

So yeah, pull your Raise out!

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    all right, sorry this took so long--it was a crazy fuggin weekend, and I was havin' a narrative block!

I've got a roll on orokos.com for 2d6=4,4 raised a mountain man, I'll find it later

(dice: 4, 4, 4)

RAISE:
    Esau gathers up the reins of his horse, goes to get Napthali's horse, too--but he looks up in the dark, and he sees Lorenzo standin' there, and somethin' about him, maybe the look on his face or his posture or who knows what, makes Esau take one more crack at him.

"Back when I was a little one, Steward, I lived in a Mountain village, before I was Saved by a roamin' Dog. And you know how that village married folk? They married 'em off to the man what could offer the most to support the new wife, not a thought for how the lady felt. My drunk of a father, he was pretty well-off before he crawled all the way into the bottle, that must have been how he married my mother. I was pretty young, but I still remember the day they wed away my sister to the shamem's son. There were flowers, lots of 'em, and there was a big party, but all I could see was how sad my sister looked.

"All part of that town's descent into Sin, you know. I can only be glad the King of Life sent the Dogs to save me from that before it was too late."

He takes up Napthali's horse's reins, too, and turns away to leave. Now, maybe that story weren't entirely factual--after all, he had been very young at the time, lots of years between then and now, and maybe that hadn't been the story at all--maybe, indeed, he had woven a supporting tale from the details of Unity's plight.

Or maybe it were all true, repressed until now. But Esau ain't concerning himself with the truth of it as he pats Abby on the neck and clucks softly to her. 'cause to him, it's right, it is his life's canon.
    (dice: 4, 4)

(dice: 4) (fallout: 9d4)
    Lorenzo must See.

jimninja on
    0198ec55.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    (Lorenzo's dice: 4,3,3,2,2,2,1,1) (fallout: 9d4)
    (John's dice: 7,7,3,2,1,1,1) (fallout: 5d4)

"My family was killed by the Mountain People" (1d6=2)

TAKING THE BLOW:
    It takes a few moments for the Steward to respond to Esau's story; whether he was trying to think of something suitable or scathing in response, or just trying to stall for time, we'll never know. But eventually he does reply with a tale of his own, harkening back to a time long, long ago.

"Ten years back, when I wasn't even a man yet," he begins, not looking at anyone, "My family came out from Back East, driven by my father's dream, his vision, of settling down far to the south, in some kind of secret valley - shielded from the sin and corruption of the world by the desert itself. Of course, we didn't find it - but we did find Mountain People. Crazy, wild-eyed, covered with their pagan war-paint. Don't know what drove them to it, but they went and killed the Oatman family. Our mother, father, five of my siblings... they took Olive away, and left me for dead."

He glances over at Olive for a moment, before going back to looking at nobody and continuing, "Took five years before we met again. I'd become Steward of Memphisto, by that time, had a few encounters with Dogs coming on their rounds."

A brief sigh.

"I know the Dogs can save people, Esau; I just wish they could have saved us."
    (Lorenzo's dice: 3,2,2,1)

Escalating to Fighting - Will 4 (4d6=4,1,2,3)

RAISE:
    Steward Lorenzo, he's had enough of this, now. Being told you're wrong, that's one thing - being convinced of it yourself, that's a whole other matter. He doesn't look at either of the Dogs, he just turns around and places a hand on Olive's, then says, "Come on, Olive, we better head home as well. Show Faith how to treat a wound like this, Faithful-style."

Olive, nodding, walks over to Faith and whispers something. Then they both head back to the house, with Lorenzo still standing by the horses. Then he turns, walks over to Esau, and places a calm hand on the Mountain Dog's shoulder. He blinks a few time, searching for the right words; it's almost calming, in its own way. But his hand is tense on Esau, and anyone can tell there's something coming up.

"But they didn't," he says, "And you're not saving anything, either."

With those words, he swings a wild haymaker at Esau's head, aiming to knock that Dog's senses out.
    (dice: 4,3)

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    what the fuck, lorenzo

simon, would this be an appropriate place to roll my relationship with the Dogs? I think so! I'm gonna go ahead and roll it and if it's not okay I'll drop it again

will = 4, 2, 4, 2
    dogs = 6

(dice: 6, 4, 4, 4, 2, 2)

SEE:
    Esau knew it was comin'; years of dodgin' the worst blows gives you a pretty good sense of when they're comin'. He jerks to the side, away from the blow. Some healer he--the Steward Oatman couldn't keep his fists to himself. Certainly seems that God's Watchdogs are needed here, to protect the innocent Faithful from their power-crazy shepherd.
    (dice: 4, 4)

(dice: 6, 4, 2, 2) (fallout: 9d4)

jimninja on
    0198ec55.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Did you just try and Raise again, even though John clearly has a higher pair than you

Yeah, you better retract that.

simonwolf on