As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Dogs in the Vineyard - IC/OOC] The Sins of Memphisto

• Options
    jimninjajimninja Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    man you know what I will raise whenever I like

sorry :oops: I'm just not very good at this more-than-two conflict

jimninja on
    0198ec55.jpg
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Don't worry about it, I probably should have said something after Lorenzo's raise.

It'll be Esau next, if he's still in the combat/has dice to Raise.

(Lorenzo's dice: 2,1) (fallout: 9d4)
    (John's dice: 7,7,6,6,5,3,3,2,1,1,1,1) (fallout: 5d4)

John escalates to Fighting - Will 5 (5d6=6,6,5,3,1)

RAISE:
    John could feel a fight brewing in him, and he ain't quite sure where he stands in this one. He didn't like Lorenzo, that much was certain; but Esau had been just as terrible a person, from what he could tell about the boy's actions. Refusing to stop an attempted murder, agreeing to marry Olive and himself, and now he went and made another swipe at a weary man, when he'd clearly been told to go sleep it off.

Endeared to the Mountain Dog, John ain't.

Thinking, maybe this'll end sooner if the Steward can just get his frustration out he'll be easier to deal with tomorrow, John moves on his feet fast as he can. Dropping his hand from the wound on his chest, he grabs Esau around the arm and neck, trying to put him in a chokehold that'll pin him from fighting back.
    (dice: 6,5)

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Absalom, Absalom (1d8=3)

john you buttpipe, stay out of this

oh well, I guess this is actually my parting shot at Lorenzo, since I am p much out of the dice

TAKE THE BLOW:
    Esau is caught off guard by the entry of John into the fight, hadn't expected it. He don't want to hurt him--well, maybe he does a little, now, but not in a tussle like this. He doesn't struggle against John's hold.
    (dice: 6, 4, 2)

jimninja on
    0198ec55.jpg
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Objection! Your attempt to escape from John is a Raise in and of itself; you can either attempt to get out of the hold, or your can make your little speech, but they're big enough items that they count as seperate.

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    why do you let me play this game I suck at it, editing now

fuck, do you mind if I roll a different stat instead, this horse thing isn't going to work out if I want to yell at them

jimninja on
    0198ec55.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    What other goddamn dice do you have, I thought you had pretty much rolled all of them

But sure, go ahead, we'll just keep your old horse roll in mind if you ever try and call on it

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

RAISE:
    Standing there in the dark, restrained by a man with a great big bullet hole in his chest, afraid to fight back for fear of injuring him too gravely, Esau feels like a damn fool. How did he come to be here? It just weren't fair, as the Steward might say; he had tried all his life to be virtuous, nonconfrontational, tried to make people see the errors of their ways and guide them along the right path. He had poured his father's rum away in secret, though he knew the furious blows would follow. He had abstained when Brother Peter, his dearest friend as a child back at Horeb Branch, his adopted home, had filched a pipe and tobacco from a passing Trader, and he had begged Peter not to do it, threatened to tattle--and when Peter had lit up that filthy thing anyway, Esau had run home and cried, and cried, and cried, in fear for Peter's everlastin' soul.

He just wants to help these damn people, help them see that what they're doin' is wrong, but they're throwin' their souls away. His eyes are moist. He would cover them, or turn away, if he were free to do so.

"The hell's wrong with you--the hell's wrong with you all?" he exclaims, into the dark, John's hand pushing on the back of his neck. "How many fights is that y'all started today? Y'all wanna line up here, take a shot at me one by one? Will that make you feel better about what you done here today?"
    (dice: 6, 3)

(dice: 2) (fallout: 9d4; 3d6)

Lorenzo and John must See.

jimninja on
    0198ec55.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    (Lorenzo's dice: 6,5,4,2,2,1) (fallout: 9d4)
    (John's dice: 7,7,6,3,3,2,1,1,1,1) (fallout: 5d4)

Lorenzo uses "I forgave the Mountain People, publicly" 1d6 + his father's gun 1d6+1d4 (2d6+1d4=6,5,4)
    John uses "I'll hurt anyone who stands in my way" (1d6=1)

SEE:
    John keeps his grip on Esau, but he's straining himself pretty hard at the moment. His reply, coming from already an already overtasked man, is a gritty, "You try and accuse me and mine of devilry, I'm gonna do what it takes to knock out down; reap what you sow, kid, says that in the good Book."

But Lorenzo, his reply isn't nearly so speedy. He takes some more time, looking at the grunting Mountain Dog, before swinging his coat back and pulling out that worn-looking gun of his. He holds it in his grip, but doesn't point it at anyone - he just wants Esau to see it, to understand what it is. The explanation he gives come from the same rumbling voice he uses when he preaches.

"This was my father's gun. He bought it before we headed out from Back East, to protect our family on the road. One of the few things of his that those Mountain People didn't take when they slaughtered my family. Now, I had all kinds of rights to take this gun and try to get my revenge on those men, murder them the way they murdered my family. But I didn't. I've forgiven the Mountain People for what they did to my family, rest their souls. That's forgiveness."

His eyes lock with Esau's, a brief flash of antagonism.

"But trying to knock some goddamn smarts in your head was the best idea I had all day, and you ain't going to make me feel bad about that. Hell, it'd just make things better."
    (Lorenzo's dice: 5,4)
    (John's dice: 6,3)

RAISE:
    Lorenzo has the definite upper hand, here. He could try and hit Esau again, probably knock a few teeth out. But he's a better man than that, to kick a man while he's down; better than the Dogs, at least. He wants this point to stick. He wants the Dogs to know that their actions, not his, are brutal and out of place.

He puts the gun back in its holster and looks on Esau, then nods his head, slowly.

"We've been through a lot today," he says in a disarmingly calm manner, "Lot of things have been said, lot of actions have been made and can't be taken back. Maybe they'll get better, in time, maybe they won't. But I know a way we can get a good start on the healing process. An apology."

The Steward catches Esau's eyes again, ramming his words home.

"I want an apology for what you've said about my family, boy - and I want you to mean it."
    (Lorenzo's dice: 6,2)

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    not that it would help me, but you've got an extra 4 in Lorenzo's dice I think!

so if I Give, does that mean I have to apologize?

jimninja on
    0198ec55.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Answer #1: No idea what you're talking about.

Answer #2: If you give, right now, you don't have to apologise - but you do have to accept that John and Lorenzo don't admit they're at any fault whatsoever, since them's the stakes.

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    coo, fuck this noise then, keepn ma 2

GIVE:
    Esau glares right back at the Steward. He's mad as a wet hen. "Ain't said nothin' about your family," he pouts, helpless in the grip of a man can barely stand on his own two feet. "Lemme go. Gotta go bury Brother Napthali."

jimninja on
    0198ec55.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    With a disatisifed "hurmph", Lorenzo turns on his heel and walks back towards his own house. He's done with these people and their stupidity, for now; the things he wants done, they'll keep until the morning.

Realising the fight is over, John lets go of the Dog and steps back, breathing harder than a man really should. Maybe he isn't quite sure about what he's doing, or maybe he's just plain tired; regardless, he stumbles away from Esau without a word, trying to get back to his horse. He just wants to get home.

When Unity stands up and touches him, helps him stand, you can see a little bit of energy return to his stride; but the blood's pouring like honey from his packed wound, slow and thick. It's old blood, but it isn't good that it's flowing out; he needs some real rest, and a proper dressing on that bullet hole. Unity gets a blush on her face, but she's silent, as well. They're together again; that's all that matters.

Meanwhile, realising he's not needed or wanted, Pete Stars slinks back into the darkness, his shoulders slumped.
    Lorenzo rolls Fallout (9d4=1,2,1,4,4,3,2,1,2)
    John rolls Fallout (5d4=3,2,1,3,3)

I'll write up what they actually take when I get home - for now, it's 5pm, and that's quittin' time!

EDIT:
    Lorenzo (8)
    Long-term: Change size of "My voice echoes with the noise of thunder" to d4 - it doesn't seem to do anything but get him into trouble, that trait.
    Experience: Change size of "My flock comes before the Dogs" to d8

John (6)
    Short-term: -1 from his Body in the next conflict, representing the continued strain on his body
    Experience: Add a dice to "I'll hurt anyone who stands in my way", making it 2d6

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    He sees Pete leaving, he wants to ask him for help with Napthali, but Esau's too busy fighting back the tears that threaten to overwhelm him like a little baby. He feels like shit. Everything today has been shit. Throbbing pain in his leg, turned Unity against him, turned John against him, turned the Oatmans against him... How can he save anyone in this town, while they are all arrayed in the desire to wallow in their sin?

Well, it's not totally true. There had been two bright, good things today at least. Sure, he had gotten stuck in the leg, but he had helped Pete see the error of his ways--helped him find the light, the love of the King of Life. That had been good, to see the look on his face later, revelling in His love. And he had made an ally, he hoped, in his Sister Watchdog. Speakin' of whom, she's lookin' a little dizzy, to him. And he had wanted to stand here, argue with hard-headed sinners, while she half-fell off her horse.

"Pete!" he calls. "Pete! <Lend us a hand?>"

He looks over at the horses, their leads forsaken for the struggle, but they're behavin' themselves, chewin' on some tough dry grass. He's hungry enough to have a handful o' that himself. He turns to Prudence.

"Shoot, Sister... things gone a little cockeyed today, huh?"
    aw poo I had 2d4 I totally forgot about in that conflict--oh well, whatevs, I'll just remember I dropped a d4 into a relationship with the Steward. Simon, could you drop a 1d4 relationship with Steward Lorenzo Oatman into the OP and change 'daddy roughed me up' to 1d6 and add 1d6 to my Acuity? Thanks!

fallout: 5+4 = 9; 1, 1

long term: drop 'imposing demeanor' from 1d10 to 1d4; it sure as fuck hasn't helped Esau out any, and he isn't acting very big and tough (though I'm kind of bummed to lose one of my d10s :()
    experience: raise a Mountain man from 2d6 to 2d8. It's what all the cool kids are talking about today!

alternate fallouts!: add 1d4 to relationship with Lorenzo, then bump it up a dice size to 2d6

which is more appropriate do you guys think, I think I might like the second one better since I intend to go after Lorenzo again at some point (plus oh gof i want my d10sss)

jimninja on
    0198ec55.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    If we're going purely off the thematics of the thing, I'd go with the second option, or mixing the two - dropping 'imposing demeanor' to d4s, and then bumping up your relationship with Lorenzo to 1d6.
    Wanting your d10s is fine and dandy, but when it all comes down to dust, you being imposing hasn't exactly been winning over the people of this town, nor has it really been getting you what you want.

Also I edited in a question for you in the Apocalypse OOC, hurry up and answer it

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    yeah I think I'm gonna drop imposing to a d4 and then add 1d4 to my relationship with Lorenzo, up to 2d4

up up and awayyy

jimninja on
    0198ec55.jpg
  • Options
    summerycleptsummeryclept Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    She isn't doing anything but breathing. Somehow, she made herself comfortable on the horse, and is nodding off. Every time her head jerks back up, snapping her from sleep, her vision is thick like gravy, and she can't help but close her eyes again. It hurts even to think about speaking.

Giving out a half-hearted, "Mmmyeh..." and realizing something must have happened - fetal snapshots of her fellow Watchdog Esau debating, John and Lorenzo all ganging up on him (she hadn't even the consciousness to process that until now), Esau asking her a question - she's full of headaches and fatigue, sleeping while she sits, dreaming of Daddy carrying her in from her wounds, cooking for her, and telling her everything will be alright.

She flits back to consciousness momentarily to see Daddy, not Esau, speaking to her, and she gives, what must be to Esau, a very warm yet out-of-place grin as she falls back asleep.

summeryclept on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Pete Stars, hearing Esau speak in the language of their people, turns on his heel and comes over, still slumped and refusing to turn his head, knowing that the slightest tweak in angle will result in him seeing her and him.

Standing there, he blinks a few times as he glances around, taking in what needs to be done. There's a body to bury, two Dogs to find a bed for, and a meal that needs to be eaten... he knows that the Steward would normally provide these things for travellers, but it doesn't seem as though the Steward's looking to do the Dogs any favours, tonight.

The smell of food wafting out from the Oatman residence pangs at the stomachs of all those present.

"<You can stay with me tonight,>" he says, "<I'll get you some food. Show you the graveyard.>"

His wanting to help is something you can appreciate, but you can tell there's something unsaid. Something he's angling for, but won't say. Not yet.

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Esau hears that angle in Pete's voice. He knows what it is. He doesn't have the strength for that right now, though. He's hungry and tired and his leg hurts and he's still got work to do, and he wants to yell at John, you dumb shit, I wanted to help you, I wanted to help Unity, the Oatmans are behind this and you're helping them, and all he does instead is look up to Pete and say, "<Thank you, Brother. We appreciate it.>"

jimninja on
    0198ec55.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Pete grabs the reins of Napthali's horse and looks at the pair of Dogs, sick and tired and hungry as they are. He nods his head at them, says, "Follow" in his accented, halting English. He starts walking off, assuming you'll come behind him without looking back to check.

It's a short journey, but you reach Pete's home soon enough. It's a small place, not a "house" like the other people in town live in - it was built with whatever was available, it seemed, but the whitewash does a decent enough job of covering up the hodgepodge construction materials. Pete, he ties up Napthali's horse and points an arm to the south. "<Graveyard's down there,>" he says to Esau, <"Near the gnarled tree. We can bury him there.>"

But his house, there's a flickering fire-light inside, and it looks so warm. He must have food in there, something to eat. The warmth of a fire and place to rest after today, that's the best thing Pete can offer. Most people in a situation like this would only ask for so much.
    I'm going to leave this open for you guys, at this point - Pete will help you with whatever tasks you need doing, so narrate what you want doing for a bit (maybe leave some stuff, like the inside of his house, vague) and we'll pick up from there.

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    "Esau?" She looks over at him, but not really - it's all flickering eyes and sagging head movements. "I gotta lay myself down, partner..." and she chuckles, letting her head droop forward. The beating from the massive rock, the hunger, the stress, the need for sleep, and the fatigue are all compounding. She'll gladly starve to death, though, just to get to sleep and work through this headache.

But, second thoughts - Prudence's stomach lets out a mighty rumble, and she clutches it, not knowing if it's hunger or some other type of pain.

summeryclept on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Esau moves over, concerned. "You bet, Prudence, let's get you down from there first." He's a little concerned she might come tumbling down on her own. Doing his best to help her down from the horse, he says to Pete, "<Could you help me get her inside? The Steward roughed her up somethin' fierce, she needs to lay down, probably have some water. Then we can see to Napthali.>"

Hups-a-daisy, she's on his shoulder now, apparently. He gets her on her feet, her arm round his shoulder for support. He'd rather not haul her in like a sack of potatoes, let the blood go rushing to her head

jimninja on
    0198ec55.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Pete, quiet again, does as he's told, going to the other side of Prudence and lifting her up. Together, the trio manages to get moving forward, opening the door to Pete's home and entering without so much as a second thought. The smell of light smoke and warmth fills your noses, and you begin to take in the place.

The fireplace is roaring, filling the whole place with light that flickers and dances at the edge of your vision. There isn't much inside Pete's house - it's a stoic place, sparsely decorated with a few simple ornaments. A wood-carved Tree of Life hangs on the main wall, and a few seats are placed around a modest dining table. There's no upper storey, either, though a doorway in the back of the house would suggest that there was a seperate bedroom.

Despite the size difference between this and the Steward's house, there's something that it possesses; a sense of emptiness, as though there was space that couldn't just remain empty, but needed to be filled.

Seems like this is your home for the night.
    Don't worry about waiting for me to do something - if it's a simple inoffensive task, Pete will happily do it, so feel free to go to bed/bury Napthali/sing some Billy Idol to get this scene going.

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Esau leads Prudence to the table. Get somethin' in her, first, before she lays down, just some water or broth. "There you go, Sister," he says. Then: "<Pete, some water?>"

Then, he heads back outside, to find a shovel and get Napthali down from the horse.

jimninja on
    0198ec55.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    "Mmph. Really, fellahs, just a nap..."

Oh, deary dear. She feels she'll never be much up to any more action or judgment at this point. Harmed and bruised, worked over, weary... Sister Prudence feels like sleeping forever.

The little girl tries to do just that: folding her arms on the table and resting her head in them, burying herself asleep.

summeryclept on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Pete, nodding in response to Esau's request, walks out behind Esau. He goes around the corner, then returns a few seconds later with a shovel and bucket in hand. Passing the shovel to Esau, he does an upwards head nod and says, "<Going to grab water from the well. Told you where the graveyard was.>"

For a moment, he glances down uncomfortably at the blood-soaked section of Esau's coat.

"<See you inside.>"

Then he turns around and walks away, silently slinking into the darkness. leaving Esau to do his work and final rites on that corpse. The crickets chirping in the night seem to grow louder.
    Esau, if you want to narrate yourself buryin' Napthali and such, please do. Once that's done, let me know when to take over the narrative, and then we'll step up the new morning!

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Yeah, consider me done as far as this night goes. Let Prudence sleep there, or move her to a bed if you like - either way, she's out until the next morning.

summeryclept on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    kay I'm ready to move on!
    . . .
    ". . .and the spirit shall return unto the King of Life who gave it." Esau's sweaty, covered in dust. The grave is good and deep, down into the wet that the sun bakes off the top. Napthali lays there, hands folded on his chest. Esau sets down the Book of Life and holds out his hand, making the Sign of the Tree.

"Oh, Lord," he beseeches, "protect this grave from harm, protect this grave from disturbance, that in Your time, Brother Napthali Atkinson may rise from the Earth once more, whole, and ready to serve You. In Your name, amen."

He tosses in a handful of consecrated earth, and then picks up the shovel once more.
    . . .
    Esau sets the shovel against the wall and goes into Pete's house. The hunger's gone, eclipsed by the bone-tired ache through his body. He just wants to sleep. No bed waiting for him, probably--Prudence gets whatever bed first--but that don't matter. He'll fall asleep right on the floor if he has to.

jimninja on
    0198ec55.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Oh, the leaves began to fall,

And the seas began to part,

And the people that confronted him were many.

And he was told but these few words,

Which opened up his heart,

"If ye cannot bring good news, then don't bring any."

====================
    Part VI.
    Wicked Messenger
    ====================

Without a warning, in the night, the clouds start to darken in the sky and let out something rare in Memphisto - rain. Cold and hard and wet, the rain falls down and engulfs the town, the ground turning to mud in places, forming puddles in others. The horses outside buck and bray, their coats becoming soaked to the bone.

The sun starts to rise in the distant horizon, a thin sliver of light cutting through the darkness and making the rain sparkle bright and shiny as it continues to pour unabated. The sound of the rain is loud and yet quiet, sinking into the back of your minds as it turns into a white noise that calms everything down. Maybe it's meant to be a baptism from the King of Life, his own special attempt to wash away some of the pride and sin that's come to Memphisto in the past day.

But something wicked this way comes.

Nobody hears it coming. The rain, it drowns out any suspicions, leaving people wide open. The door to Pete's house, it slowly cracks open, and there stands the silhouette of someone. Her hair is blowing back as though whipped by some invisible, unfeelable wind; her eyes flicker and shine like a cat's as she gazes upon the room.

She sees her target, slumped over the table, sleeping off a day of fighting and hard work.

Slinking forward, like a cat, Sister Faith carries that heavy shovel in her hands. Standing right behind Prudence, her eyes flicker one more time as she raises the shovel above her head and prepares to bring it down onto the girl's head.
    Conflict!

The Stakes: Does Sister Faith murder Prudence?

Because Prudence is asleep, she can only roll Acuity to begin the conflict.

The possessed Sister Faith will roll Body + Will + her relationship with the demon. Her Powers, for those with the rules, are Ferocity (apply the demonic relationship to every physical conflict) and Viciousness (does Fallout damage one dice higher than normal).

Body 2 + Will 2 + 2d8 relationship with a Demon (4d6+2d8=26)

(dice: 7,6,5,4,2,2)

RAISE:
    A growl like something from a lion comes out from between Faith's teeth, heavy and dark with an voice that doesn't belong in her. Caked with dirt, the shovel is swung down straight to Prudence's head with a heavy, unnatural weight.
    (dice: 7,6)

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    what the fuck

did i piss you off or something, simon
    http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2321668/

(dice: 3, 5) OH BOY WE ARE COOKIN NOW

I roll dice for Prudence's coat: http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2321705/

2 and 4.

SEE:
    CLANG! Prudence falls over, crying silently, mouth wrenched up in terrible pain, eyes bleary through tears, barely conscious - she reaches a hand, trembling, towards... anything. Towards Esau, wherever he may be.

She makes no sound. She can't. Can barely breathe.

Her coat wrapped around her, the verse in back, symbolic protection - a flicker in the demon's eyes, reflection in the dull metal of the shovel. Beaten, dull edge, thankfully - not chopped or stabbed with it. The coat catches it on the pull back, and rips something fierce, split down the back on one side.

Prudence curls up and tries to pray.
    (dice: 3, 5, 2, 4) Taking the blow, Fallout 4d10
    escalating to fist fighting.

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2321725/
    (dice: 2, 4, 4, 6, 1, 5, 2, 6, 6, 6) Fallout 4d10, bitch 'bout to die

RAISE:
    Full of sudden vigor, full of divine power, full of the will to survive, Prudence scrambles up, dodges another blow - CLANG! - and decks into Sister Faith, punching and clawing and tearing, aiming to rip the skin clear off. She will not settle for anything less than a torturous death. She is a cornered animal.

As a last-minute thought, she screams as she does: nothing in particular, just loud, but raspy, hoarse screaming.
    (dice: 6, 6)

summeryclept on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Heart 4 (4d6=5,5,3,1)

(dice: 5,5,5,4,4,3,2,2,1) (fallout: 3d6)

TAKING THE BLOW:

The possessed Faith, she doesn't even try to get out of Prudence's way - she just stands tall, her growling continuing to leave her mouth as the Dog lands blow after blow on that frail body of hers. Either through sheer force of will, or some aspect of the demonic possession driving her to new, previously unfound physical resistance, she isn't hurt nearly as badly as one would expect such a ferocious Dog to damage her.

But she is hurt, let there be no mistake about that - here and there, her skin's ripped open, blood seeping out and covering up Prudence's fists with a thin glaze of red. Even the demons can't stop her from taking that harm.
    (dice: 5,4,3)

Shovel (1d6=4)

RAISE:
    Then the rumbling in her throat turns to anger once more, and Faith? She's still got that shovel in her hands, gripped tight and ready to do some more harm to the Dog that's still trying to tear some chunks out of the demonhost. Her hair whipping in a frenzy, blown by a gale now, she takes a step back and aims another wild swing at Prudence, aiming for her legs and trying to sweep the floor from under her feet.

Those eyes, they flicker and stare right into Prudence's soul. A soul that they know so very, very well.
    (dice: 5,2)

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    simon wth

i'm gonna have to get in on this real quick

jimninja on
    0198ec55.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    (dice: 2, 4, 4, 6, 1, 5, 2, 6) Fallout 4d10

SEE:
    Prudence, her chest on fire, all her blood shriveled and heavy, she forces the movement: falling not too gracefully against the table to get out of the way of the shovel.
    (dice: 5, 2)

RAISE:
    Going for the throat, she aims to push the girl against the wall, pressing her own body against her, some makeshift vertical pin - all the while she's clawing and screaming and pounding with her free hand, go for the face!, take out whatever looks vital. She just beats and beats and beats until stopped.
    (dice: 6, 6)

summeryclept on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    GIVE:
    Pressed against the wall and squeezed, the cat-eyed Sister Faith drops her shovel and gives up on her previous goal of destroying Prudence. She's already done a lot of damage to the little girl, and the demons? They're laughing, like a crackle in the wind that everyone can hear blowing under the rain that's falling down still.

But those eyes, they keep flickering; there's a splotch of blood coming out from her smiling mouth.

She, it, they... they just don't care.
    Fallout (3d6=3,4,4)

Well um I guess Sister Faith will change the size of her "I ain't got a strong body" trait to 2d4, up from 1

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2322813/

Fallout = 16

Yeah, so, Prudence is having some brain trouble now. First, she's got "I'm slow to respond 1d4" and take -1 Acuity.

Esau please save my life again

Gripping "Sister" Faith, Prudence begins to quiver, shake - she stares into those eyes, those unforgiving eyes, and her sudden wind is gone. She falls, drops, no bang, just a whimper, and her vision is gone again. She is once again unconscious. Her scalp features an impressive crevice, and blood pools weakly from her head once more.

summeryclept on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Alright, well, this is going to be fun!

Esau, Prudence is in dire straits - she's rolled a 16, which means she has to win a healing conflict (again) or die. But, you've also got the lovely Sister Faith there running interference, and it doesn't seem likely that a demonhost like her is just going to stand around quietly and wait for you to heal Prudence.

what do you do

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    full body suplex

EDIT: also fuck you simon, you have me in your goddamn cross-hairs, don't try to trick me - this is revenge for not inviting you to my birthday party, isn't it

let's just wait to see what happens when Maryam becomes a flesh-eating zombie bus, oh look who just happens to be in front of her when that goes down - you will get zombie-bus-eaten so hard, i promise you to death

summeryclept on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Esau, roused from a thick, grasping sleep by a bloodcurdling scream, stumbles into the main room and is instantly wide awake. Prudence is down on the floor--and there's Faith, but not Faith, her eyes wild and insane and demonic, and a bloody shovel, the one he buried Napthali with? A mess. A demon! A demon. Another problem, but one with a solution.

"Pete!" he hollers. "Get in here now!"
    so uh i guess this where i roll some dice or somethin and decide who i'm punchin

The Stakes: can Esau exorcise Faith?

Opening Arena: Just talking

acuity + heart + preacher of the Lord's love = [1, 4, 4, 5, 1, 3, 4, 4, 4]

(dice: 5, 4, 4, 4, 4, 4, 3, 1, 1)
    RAISE:
    He spins, faces down that demon in Faith's body.

"Get thee from this child of God, demon!" he cries. "Get thee hence from here, for the Lord loves his daughter Faith, and He has no love for thee!"
    (dice: 4, 4)
    (dice: 5, 4, 4, 4, 3, 1, 1)

jimninja on
    0198ec55.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Alright, since this is a new kind of conflict, I'm going to post up this big ol' list of ceremonial fallout - basically, using ceremony in a conflict yields different sized dice results. Which might be handy for this! So, when you Raise with one of these ceremonies, just note so in spoilers so I can use the applicable Fallout size.

- Anointing with Sacred Earth: d8s.
    - Calling by Name: d4s.
    - Invoking the Ancients: d4s.
    - Laying on Hands: d6s.
    - Making the Sign of the Tree: d6s.
    - Reciting the Book of Life: d4s.
    - Singing Praise: d6s.
    - Three In Authority: d8s.

Heart 4 + Acuity 3 + "She wouldn't lie to me": 8d6 5, 1, 1, 1, 2, 1, 4, 1
    Relationship with a demon: 2d8 4,2

(dice: 5,5,4,4,2,2,1,1,1,1,1)

SEE:
    Faith, she cackles with a terrible, booming laughter when she hears the words of Esau. Then she speaks with a voice that reverberates and sounds as though a hundred or more voices were piled on top of each other - "Your words mean nothing to this girl's soul, Watchdog - she has been taught the truth, that the damnable King of Life despises the children of the Mountains."

Somewhere inside, what remained of Faith heard those words and didn't doubt it for a moment. The sermons she'd been taught... no, they couldn't be wrong. They just couldn't.
    (dice: 4,4)

RAISE:
    "This girl is lost to you, Watchdog!"

The voices raise in their pitch, now sounding like a roaring gale that blasts through the room. Faith's hair is thrashing about as though in a hurricane, and her eyes - those piercing eyes - they narrow with anger and fury, the blood around her mouth seeming to froth as the hundred voices shout their command.

"LEAVE!"
    (dice: 5,2)

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    no u leav edemno!
    mountain man = 5, 1

(dice: 5, 5, 4, 4, 4, 3, 1, 1, 1)

SEE:
    Esau covers his eyes with his arm, as if to fend off the buffeting winds that threaten to sweep them away, to rend the world i' twain. A hundred voices arrayed against him in an unholy harmony of power.

But he stands, yet.
    (dice: 4, 3)

RAISE:
    His other hand, he extends, fingers splayed in the Sign of the Tree of Life. He shouts to be heard above the voices.

"You are liars, you demon, you legion, and your judgement will come--and on that holy Day, the children of the Mountain will fight against you and your kind! Now, creature, get thee gone from here in the name of the King of Life!"
    (dice: 5, 4)

(dice: 5, 4, 1, 1, 1)

jimninja on
    0198ec55.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Escalating to Physical - Body 2 (2d6=5,2)

(dice: 6,5,5,2,2,2,1,1,1,1,1,1,1) (fallout: 7d6)

TAKING THE BLOW:
    Sister Faith, she tries to shield herself and her eyes from that Sign of the nemesis, the King of Life's symbol upon this earth. But even as she raises her arms to block her eyes, there's a smell of burning sulphur that rises in the air, and the wind starts to buffet and rattle the room even more so - a veritable hurricane of fury and anger is spinning right in the house, pots and pans and chairs falling over from their places, crashing to the ground.

But the Tree of Life's branches have gotten into Faith's body, embracing her bones and rooting out the demons. Her skin begins to make sounds, like a crackle and pop that sickens to the gut, and she begins to scream in that horrible layered voice, the pitch rising and falling with every gust of wind.

Those demons, they're in strong; Faith's body is going to be torn apart by the exorcism before they give up.
    (dice: 2,2,1,1,1,1,1)

Escalting to Fighting - Will 2 + "I ain't got a strong body" 2d4 (2d6=6,1, 2d4=2,1)

RAISE:
    Her arms still shielding her face, Faith starts moving forward, picking up speed until she's running forward. Then she leaps, clawing at the air and screaming in anger as she goes. Her body may be weak, normally, but the demons have filled it with their unholy power; those skinny little arms are moving with a terrible pace, and they're aiming to tear up Esau as best they can.

Those cat eyes of hers? They don't blink once as they come at Esau, their murderous intent boring right to his soul.
    (dice: 6,5)

simonwolf on