As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[HUNT ON] Monster Hunter Freedom 2 - Keep on Huntin'

• Options
    corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    That sounds confusing as hell, to be honest. I think I'll just have to give the game a go and experience it myself.

What I gathered from reading the last few pages, the problems with the camera seem to be pretty huge, which sucks because that's what's keeping me from playing MGS: PO. Is it true that it becomes less of an problem when using ranged weapons?

Oh, and regarding online play, if I don't own a PS3 and can't hak my PSP, that pretty much a non-issue for me, right?

Unless you know somebody in person that has a PSP you are on your own.

The camera isn't really an issue. People bitch about it but after a few hours it becomes a no brainer. I don't even think about it at all any more. It is not like it is glitchy just there is only one analogue stick so you have to make due with a the d-pad and left button for controlling the camera. It works fine once you get used to it.

Good luck man, once you get started ask as many questions here as you need. The game is brutal hard but oh so rewarding. You will be stopping by to celebrate your first kit ku kill followed by congalala, khezu tiggy... etc. There is nothing like dropping a mob for the first time in MH.

corin7 on
  • Options
    Crotchless Gorilla SuitCrotchless Gorilla Suit Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    That sounds confusing as hell, to be honest. I think I'll just have to give the game a go and experience it myself.

What I gathered from reading the last few pages, the problems with the camera seem to be pretty huge, which sucks because that's what's keeping me from playing MGS: PO. Is it true that it becomes less of an problem when using ranged weapons?

Oh, and regarding online play, if I don't own a PS3 and can't hak my PSP, that pretty much a non-issue for me, right?

Um, you don't need a hacked psp to play on xlink kai.

Crotchless Gorilla Suit on
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

You must've been posting while I edited my post:
    Also, there are two methods of getting online, neither of them involving hackz0rz. The first is Ad-Hoc Party on the PS3. The second is X-Link Kai on the PC, which requires a USB Wi-Fi dongle that supports promiscuous mode (there is a Linksys router that can be used, but you have to flash the firmware in order to do so).
    I've done quite a bit of multiplayer on X-Link Kai, and it works well (even with my crappy internet access).

Ranged weapons are easier to aim, but they do anemic damage early on. You'll wonder why you are pumping hundreds of shots/arrows into your target before it goes down until you get a good bow/bowgun. It's probably better to try out Longswords (great damage and attack speed), Sword and Shield (most versatile weapon, low damage), or Hammers (best damage, slow attacks, but good mobility).

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Ah, okay, that'll answer all my questions for the time being, then. Thanks for all the help guys, I very much appreciate that.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Singleplayer is fine; for me, I found that it could get a bit tough at times, particularly if you don't change up your playstyle and tactics for different monsters. I put about 300 hours into singleplay, got to almost the end of the guild quests, etc. There is plenty to do in this game, particularly if you like getting the different types of armor and weapons. Getting the necessary parts from the monsters can take awhile, and while it can get a bit grindy in that sense, I've always had so many goals I want to accomplish it usually doesn't feel too bad.

Multiplayer is almost an entirely different experience, and if you ever get the chance to do so, I'd recommend trying. When you've got 4 people wailing on the same monster, it goes much faster, and when the monster isn't focused solely on you, it changes the way you normally fight. Of course, you'd either need a PS3 w/ Ad Hoc Party, Xlink Kai, or find people locally. That was my stumbling block until Ad Hoc Party, since I could never get anyone I know to try the game. :|

Elderlycrawfish on
  • Options
    BrianBrian Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    http://www.play-asia.com/SOap-23-83-801r-71-b8-49-en-15-wifi-84-j-70-1g1l.html

This will get you online through your PC using xlink kai.

Brian on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    There is indeed a Yian Garuga dlc mission. Downloaded it this morning and will be knocking it out at lunch. High grade ear plugs here I come.

That is right Black Gravios run and hide, your scream scares me no longer.

Edit- Looks like Capcom is actually going to push Unite and the wheels are motion. I am loving all the MH news. Need people to play with? Live in the UK? Capcom is setting up a Monster Hunter center. Holy shit.

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/04/08/capcom-uk-setting-up-monster-hunter-drop-in-center-this-summer/

corin7 on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    We attempted Rajang for the first time today. Damn he is awesome, best monster yet imo. We failed but he is doable. One of his breath attacks was insta kill on me when he is raged. I love how he changes when he is raged.

corin7 on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    corin7 wrote: »
    We attempted Rajang for the first time today. Damn he is awesome, best monster yet imo. We failed but he is doable. One of his breath attacks was insta kill on me when he is raged. I love how he changes when he is raged.

That's because his power level is over 9000--

ahem. Sorry, lame meme. I am really not a fan of rajang. Final Invitation took me awhile to get down, and even the volcano Rajang 8-star mission was a pain to finish solo. I guess I just haven't found what works best for me.

Aside from farming miscellaneous parts for weapons and armors I don't really need, my lastest focus has been on fatalis. It's an okay experience if I'm on Ad Hoc Party, but I get demolished trying it solo. I think I just start getting careless as the fight progresses; I'm fairly sure I almost had him once with my Aka bow, but then just got sloppy and squished. Oh well.

Elderlycrawfish on
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Final Invitation: Pit trap in the right place just before you kill the normal Rajang works wonders. The 2nd Rajang always jumps in the same place (at least in Portable 2nd G). Free hits! But watch out for future traps, as a raged Rajang can backflip and fireball them, destroying the trap. I solo Rajang with an Ice bow, personally.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    LCDXXLCDXX A flask of wood and glass Terre Haute, INRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2009
    Monster Hunter Freedom Unite demo confirmed for PSN in June.

Looks like I'll be getting sucked back into this beast soon.
    YAY:!:

LCDXX on
    XBL: LCDXX | PSN: LCDXX | Steam: LCDXX
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Some good info on MH 3. My favorite weapon got cut, no bows.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3173877

Also a sweet gameplay video.

http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/24466

Dude isn't great at it but he does show off a lot of the new stuff. The wait for this might be the end of me.

Edit - Christ this preview is so horrible. He may as well wrote I suck so why even bother.

http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3173483

First of all there are no dungeons, and to be fair really no loot, just carves. It is a fine point but when you are getting killed by boars and can't even manage the simple tasks in the game being off on your description of the game infuriates me. Gah...

corin7 on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

Man, that's seriously weak. Not only did bows get cut, so did gunlances, hunting horns, and dual swords?! I prefer bows to bowguns when I'm doing ranged, I absolutely love demolishing things with dual swords, and I was just starting to get the hang of hunting horns.

They at least added "slash axes", which sound like some kind of polearm/halberd thing. Could be cool. Can't see it offsetting the loss of the other weapons though :cry:
    Also a sweet gameplay video.

http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/24466

Dude isn't great at it but he does show off a lot of the new stuff. The wait for this might be the end of me.

Rathian looks pretty nice there. Overall, it looked pretty sweet. I did notice that alot of items could be used without sheathing your weapon. Interesting. Also, did you see near the end, when the guy was stuck on the floor? Rathian was doing this claw/bite thing, and the guy was kind of balled up on the ground trying to avoid attacks. Looks like a sort of stun condition, might have to do some waggling or something to break free. Meh.
    Edit - Christ this preview is so horrible. He may as well wrote I suck so why even bother.

http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3173483

First of all there are no dungeons, and to be fair really no loot, just carves. It is a fine point but when you are getting killed by boars and can't even manage the simple tasks in the game being off on your description of the game infuriates me. Gah...

To give the guy some credit, a lance/gunlance would be a terrible weapon for someone who's never played the game before, especially against some of the more mobile targets. His opinions would have probably been different if he had the option to go it w/ Sword and Shield, or long swords. Though really, it wouldn't be hard to block the charge, turn, then stabby stabby the boar.

Elderlycrawfish on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I would rather take on a boar with a lance than a shakalaka with a bow.

Grrr you do have a valid point but it just irks me that most of the press simply sums up monster hunter as too hard to be any good and can't even get the basic game description down. It's not like this is the first preview/review to do this. MH is quite simply one of the best games ever made it is so frustrating to me that it sells like poo poo over here.

corin7 on
  • Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    No dual swords? What the deuce? That's almost all I use.

e: Also, on the gameplay video. "Now Loading."

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Well, Unite is officially hitting the US on June 23rd. 26th in Europe, plus they're getting a PSP bundle of some sort. I know some places were already listing the date, but it's now up on Capcom's site, so it looks like it is confirmed.

Excitement!!

Some of the new monster names have apparently been gayed up, so instead of volganos, we're getting lavasioth?! And hypnoc apparently was too easy to pronounce, so now it'll by hypnocatrice. Oh well.

Hoping to finally get everything done in Freedom 2 before then. Crimmy is now in my killing rotation, then onto white fatalis. The bigger stumbling block for me right now are the rubies, jewels, plates, and fire dragon powders I'll need to make some of the end weapons and fatalis armors. Bleh!

Elderlycrawfish on
  • Options
    DarkSymphonyDarkSymphony Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I've been playing again and I really do love the game, I just wish I could get used to all the quirks. I've been brute forcing my way into figuring out the most efficient means possible to use the camera + play the game correctly and it's working out moderately well.

I used to complain constantly about how awkward the game felt (as I'm sure some here remember) and every single one of my complaints is still true. However I'm willing to push all of that aside and really start getting into it.

what's usually considered the "right" thing to do from the get go? I've completed a few missions, killed the first "mini boss" which wasn't too bad. He was a bigger version of the lil raptor guys. the super easy beginning guys and stuff. That's pretty much all I've done, so now, what is it I should be reaching for? Are there any rules of thumb that just go without saying? for example "always make bombs and traps, never go into a fight without some". that kind of stuff?

DarkSymphony on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I've been playing again and I really do love the game, I just wish I could get used to all the quirks. I've been brute forcing my way into figuring out the most efficient means possible to use the camera + play the game correctly and it's working out moderately well.

I used to complain constantly about how awkward the game felt (as I'm sure some here remember) and every single one of my complaints is still true. However I'm willing to push all of that aside and really start getting into it.

what's usually considered the "right" thing to do from the get go? I've completed a few missions, killed the first "mini boss" which wasn't too bad. He was a bigger version of the lil raptor guys. the super easy beginning guys and stuff. That's pretty much all I've done, so now, what is it I should be reaching for? Are there any rules of thumb that just go without saying? for example "always make bombs and traps, never go into a fight without some". that kind of stuff?

I would just say make sure to hit the pokke farm and felyne kitchen between each mission and slowly work your way through the elder quests one by one. Each fight is different so there isn't any one strategy that applies. Your first real challenges will be kit-ku and congalala. Try not to get frustrated, practice absolutely makes perfect in this game.

corin7 on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I'd also recommend working on some new equipment, now that you have the capability to pokke farm/gather/hunt the stuff you can already do. Stronger armor is always nice for survivability, and different armor skills will be handy depending on the quests you take. Weapons too. Upgrading your current weapon of choice, as well as making some others for different stats, will be helpful. You'll want to be able to pick specific weapons for different challenges; since you can kill giadrome now, you can probably start making a few ice-based weapons, which will be alot of fun to use against creatures that are weak to ice. On the other hand, your ice weapon probably has crap sharpness and raw damage, so it'd be good to have a nice strong weapon for other occasions.

Elderlycrawfish on
  • Options
    ShiolaShiola Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The last two posts are both right on, but there's more to be said. For the camera, I always try to remind people having trouble with it that you can center the camera with the L button. It's extremely useful. Other than that, most people end up using their left index finger on the d-pad when you can't take your thumb off the analog stick. Awkward at first, but you get used to it pretty quickly.

Anyway, weapon and armor upgrades are definitely a good thing to focus on. Stronger weapons make monsters fall down faster, and stronger armor makes you fall down less. :^: If you don't have it already, I'd try to get the battle armor set. I believe the full set gives you a small attack boost, and decreases the time it takes to sharpen weapons. Both good skills to have early on.

What weapon type are you using right now? That can have a huge impact on how difficult the game is. Sword and Shield is the best beginner weapon since it's got high mobility, can block, and lets you use items without sheathing your weapon (R + Square). Other good weapons to start with are long sword, dual swords, and great sword. Don't be afraid to give them all a try though. Being proficient with several different weapon types will go a loooong way in this game.

As for fighting tactics, evasion is your best friend. Abuse the roll button. When you start fighting more bosses, don't always rush in and start attacking. Just run around and let yourself be bait for a while. If you watch it this way, you can get start to see the enemy's tells for certain attacks and take note of openings to start pounding on it (generally this will be while it's recovering from an attack, but some openings are before and during as well).

Honestly, one of the best ways to learn in this game can be to look up videos online (of which there are tons) and try to imitate some of the tactics used against certain enemies.

Oh, and bombs and traps can be a godsend sometimes, but if you use them too much it can make the game harder for you over all. You shouldn't rely on them.

Lastly, but most importantly, don't forget to have fun with it!

Shiola on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    www.monsterhunter-freedomunite.com

No real content, but it's a start.

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Renzo wrote: »
    www.monsterhunter-freedomunite.com

No real content, but it's a start.

The monsters are coming....

So much awesome.

corin7 on
  • Options
    MugaazMugaaz Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

Man, that's seriously weak. Not only did bows get cut, so did gunlances, hunting horns, and dual swords?! I prefer bows to bowguns when I'm doing ranged, I absolutely love demolishing things with dual swords, and I was just starting to get the hang of hunting horns.

Im going to take an unpopular opinion and say I'm glad the bow was removed. It was way too good for being such a skilless weapon. Anyone can beat any monster with a bow with minimal effort as long as your bow is outputting enough damage. A giant portion of this game is learning attack patterns / learning to dodge and bows pretty much circumvented that. At least with the gun there was so much reloading and sheathing/unsheathing and stationary placement that it required SOME skill..

I'm also in favor of the weapons get more fleshed out that simply adding more, but adding 1 or 2 attacks to a weapon isnt exactly a major change that requires removing stuff like duals. I dont really care about the monthly fees, as long as we start getting US console releases for MH.

Mugaaz on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Shiola wrote: »
    Anyway, weapon and armor upgrades are definitely a good thing to focus on. Stronger weapons make monsters fall down faster, and stronger armor makes you fall down less. :^: If you don't have it already, I'd try to get the battle armor set. I believe the full set gives you a small attack boost, and decreases the time it takes to sharpen weapons. Both good skills to have early on.

Another early armor set that you can invest in is the hunter set. That one gives autotracker, which will auto-paint the boss targets. It's a nice tool to have at times, especially for monsters like -dromes that seldom stay in an area for long. Just try not to become too reliant on the skill; it's very easy to want to make it a standard armor skill, but you end up passing up alot of good skills in order to get it.
    Sword and Shield is the best beginner weapon since it's got high mobility, can block, and lets you use items without sheathing your weapon (R + Square).

*facepalms* I feel like such a dork, for not realizing/remembering that you can use items w/ sword and shield. :oops: I mean, I must have known that fact, but I honestly have not done that since, well, ever. Just goes to show you that you can always learn something new in this game.
    Other good weapons to start with are long sword, dual swords, and great sword. Don't be afraid to give them all a try though. Being proficient with several different weapon types will go a loooong way in this game.

Yes, this. Looking back, the times I got most frustrated/stuck on a certain quest was because I stuck with one particular weapon type, rather than mixing it up for different hunts. You don't have to be an expert in every weapon, but it'll help you go a long way if you're at least familiar with a few of them.

Elderlycrawfish on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I don't know if I completely agree with switching weapon types often for different monsters. A lot of the weapon types that are "bad" for certain monsters require an unconvential strategy, but then become very good. Those unconvential strategies are very good ways to learn positioning in this game.

Stuff like the backward lvl 3 charge with a GS vs Kirin is a good example.

Mugaaz on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Mugaaz wrote: »
    I don't know if I completely agree with switching weapon types often for different monsters. A lot of the weapon types that are "bad" for certain monsters require an unconvential strategy, but then become very good. Those unconvential strategies are very good ways to learn positioning in this game.

Stuff like the backward lvl 3 charge with a GS vs Kirin is a good example.

Right but you can agree that some weapons are easier for some mobs and when you are starting out it is probably better to limit the frustration?

I mean we get it you are hardcore, but telling newbs to use weapons that make an already hard game harder seems like a great way to drive new people away from the game.

corin7 on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I'm not saying that you should be switching up all the time, or that you have to use a particular type of weapon on a certain monster; just that if you end up hitting some sort of difficulty wall, sometimes just changing your basic strategy and weapon style can make a difference.

Especially in the beginning; it's more along the lines of trying the different weapons to see which one will suit you, and realizing that you aren't stuck in one particular play style unless you want to be.

Elderlycrawfish on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I know I'm a newb at this particular game, but I completely understand the idea behind switching up tactics *and* weaponry for different monsters. I just don't want to bother with that facet of the game yet, so that I may maximize efficiency and accuracy with gameplay mechanics so that when I do end up switching new weapons, it will be an easier transition.

However, I'm about to play some today (MHF2 PSP). would it be advisable to go single player only so I learn more on the game? or should I give some online a shot?

DarkSymphony on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    It's not a hardcore thing. For newbies they need to go with SnS, any other option is only for people who don't mind failing quests while learning. SnS is the best newbie weapon by far, period. It has the fastest animations, it has a lean in attack, and you can use items without sheathing.

My point has to do that most reason people fail isn't because of damage output, it's because of their damage intake. The solution to this is learning the monsters patterns so you don't get hit. Switching to the weapons that make this easiest to get around this results in them needing to farm an INSANE amount to make corresponding gear for every monster.

I would recommend staying with SnS until you start destroying certain monsters easily. The #1 skill in this game is not getting hit by knowing monster attack patterns and how much timing you have for safe hits. The #2 skill is positiong your char and swings for certain exact distances, and that that a hell of a long time of using 1 weapon type.

I soloed MH1 offline with a greatsword and I remember how much it sucked. In MH2I soloed the offline wiith SnS and it helped me learn the game in a much more enjoyable way. The only time I had to switch weapons was a lance for Lao and a hammer for Azure Rathalos in the Tower.

Mugaaz on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I know I'm a newb at this particular game, but I completely understand the idea behind switching up tactics *and* weaponry for different monsters. I just don't want to bother with that facet of the game yet, so that I may maximize efficiency and accuracy with gameplay mechanics so that when I do end up switching new weapons, it will be an easier transition.

However, I'm about to play some today (MHF2 PSP). would it be advisable to go single player only so I learn more on the game? or should I give some online a shot?

I guess my point was, from personal experience, I would've liked to have dabbled a bit more with different stuff early on; in hindsight, it would have made it easier for me to get the feel of more weapons/tactics before I become a curmudgeonly old geezer stuck doing things the same way. You can teach an old dog like me new tricks, it just takes a lot more effort. :P Naturally, you've got your game plan all set, so don't worry about the other stuff right now.

My limited experience on Ad Hoc Party shows that there are some novices on, which is good; most people I see are usually pretty cool about helping out the new guys, and I've only run into a small handful of punks. It's a heap of fun to get a good game going, but don't be too frustrated if people don't stick around long. I'd just start a room and play solo until people come along that are up for it.

edit: Oh yeah, though I'm not on regularly, and my online hours are probably later than yours, I'm always up for some Monster Huntering. If I'm on, ask me if you want to get some ad hoc party on. (PSN: Elderlycrawfish).

Elderlycrawfish on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

The game is way more brutal solo or even with two people. Once you add in 3 or 4 it becomes pretty easy because the monster will stagger so often. and the % chance it is targetting you is much less. If you find the game too hard then teaming up is an obvious solution. I don't think there is anything wrong with admitting this game is too hard for new players. The tutorial and learning curve is unforgiving.

Mugaaz on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    hehe, no matter how much I play and how much I become adept at playing, I can't help but think the camera (and the use of the said camera) is simply aweful. I mean, I'm not dieing left and right anymore, but sweet jesus. In any case, loving it and all but now I'm trying to load up Xlink Kai and I have the icon on my windows tray and I go to load the configuration (or even just start the UI) and a window pops up in firefox and permanently hangs there. Any thoughts?

DarkSymphony on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Anyone here playing on AdHoc party and/or have the Jolly Roger quests?

Mugaaz on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Have you guys seen this import preview for MH3? Listen all the way to the end:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/48866.html
    "Capcom seems to have every intention to bring this title stateside by the end of the year."

First, :shock:.

But I'll believe it when Capcom announces it for real.

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Renzo wrote: »
    "Capcom seems to have every intention to bring this title stateside by the end of the year."

First, :shock:.

But I'll believe it when Capcom announces it for real.

Considering there hasn't even been a release date set for Japan yet (I think?), I'm pretty skeptical about seeing it by the end of the year as well. But hey, any talk of bringing it stateside is a win in my book.

Elderlycrawfish on
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Got myself a PSP yesterday and ordered MHFreedom 2 online, hope it arrives on thursday.

I am not sure if I can get Xlink Kai working with my home setup,I really hope it works though cause I want to do online. I remember getting my ass kicked in MH on the PS2 and I am not really looking forward to having the same experience with MHF2.

Otherwise, any tips for a newb?

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Use a sword and shield if you are new.

Mugaaz on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Klyka wrote: »
    Got myself a PSP yesterday and ordered MHFreedom 2 online, hope it arrives on thursday.

I am not sure if I can get Xlink Kai working with my home setup,I really hope it works though cause I want to do online. I remember getting my ass kicked in MH on the PS2 and I am not really looking forward to having the same experience with MHF2.

I have not played the original MH on PS2, but from what I gathered, the Freedom series can be somewhat, easier, in some ways. I think one of the more significant differences is that you could probably play Freedom solo, and still be able to get to all the quests/parts, as opposed to only having the offline quests available, then having to go online to do the rest/get better stuff. Again, I have not played the PS2 version, and I'll gladly eat my hat for any erroneous statement.

Luckily, I don't wear hats. :P

Since you're at least familiar with alot of the basic gameplay and concepts of the series, the biggest concern I would imagine would be the truncated controls on the PSP. It looks like pretty much every button and stick was used on the Dual Shock controller in MH1, now you're moving to a system that has 2 less bumpers and 1 less analog stick. Camera will most likely be the biggest problem initially. Through a combination of growing comfortable with it and resigning yourself to it, it'll become manageable.

Otherwise, I'd just say, use the Pokke farm and felyne kitchen as much as possible, start making different weapon lines for different situations (elemental, status types, etc), and whenever possible, save everything you collect! Might seem like a "duh" statement, but when you start having to craft items that use, say 40 earth crystals a pop, you'll be glad that you were stockpiling them.

Elderlycrawfish on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Klyka wrote: »

I have not played the original MH on PS2, but from what I gathered, the Freedom series can be somewhat, easier, in some ways. I think one of the more significant differences is that you could probably play Freedom solo, and still be able to get to all the quests/parts, as opposed to only having the offline quests available, then having to go online to do the rest/get better stuff. Again, I have not played the PS2 version, and I'll gladly eat my hat for any erroneous statement.

Luckily, I don't wear hats. :P

Since you're at least familiar with alot of the basic gameplay and concepts of the series, the biggest concern I would imagine would be the truncated controls on the PSP. It looks like pretty much every button and stick was used on the Dual Shock controller in MH1, now you're moving to a system that has 2 less bumpers and 1 less analog stick. Camera will most likely be the biggest problem initially. Through a combination of growing comfortable with it and resigning yourself to it, it'll become manageable.

Otherwise, I'd just say, use the Pokke farm and felyne kitchen as much as possible, start making different weapon lines for different situations (elemental, status types, etc), and whenever possible, save everything you collect! Might seem like a "duh" statement, but when you start having to craft items that use, say 40 earth crystals a pop, you'll be glad that you were stockpiling them.

Until the end of the game and then after every mission I have clear space. Too many blue mushrooms.

corin7 on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Oh man, I have to figure out how to squeeze this to fit as a background for my PSP.

Also, gotta sit down and power through the stupid training quests. Ugh, I don't know why, but they infuriate me.

Elderlycrawfish on