As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dwarf Fortress: Be sure to "neuter" your cats at the butcher's shop

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Poor Erush, we hardly knew ye.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I prefer to chain goblins in my jails and prisons, then remotely open their gates on a dwarf I particularly dislike. The only problem is the army tries to rush in and save him. It turns out to be quite a mishmash of button pressing and timing issues with door locks and pets getting in the way.

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    GPIA7R wrote: »
    I prefer to chain goblins in my jails and prisons, then remotely open their gates on a dwarf I particularly dislike. The only problem is the army tries to rush in and save him. It turns out to be quite a mishmash of button pressing and timing issues with door locks and pets getting in the way.

Water trap?

Turn off masonry for all your dwarves, and have the guy you dislike build a floor. Once he shows up to do the job, lock the doors and pull the lever.

Obviously this doesn't work on nobles.. my fix for that is typically to build walls around their bed while they're sleeping.

xzzy on
  • Options
    hmxmosshmxmoss Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I now have an electrum pick, studded with electrum, encircled with bands of rhyolite, spiked with copper, and engraved with an image of traveling dwarfs in iron.

Too pretty to let my dwarfs mine with it. At least I now have a legendary weaponsmith. :D

hmxmoss on
    burning.jpg
  • Options
    The One Dark KnightThe One Dark Knight Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Real men keep nobles alive. Pussies kill them off.

The One Dark Knight on
    [END]
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    hmxmoss wrote: »
    I now have an electrum pick, studded with electrum, encircled with bands of rhyolite, spiked with copper, and engraved with an image of traveling dwarfs in iron.

Too pretty to let my dwarfs mine with it. At least I now have a legendary weaponsmith. :D

Embed it in a stone.

Then when the king dies, the first dwarf to pick up that pick to give it to his older brother shall be the next king.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Is there a known bug that causes dwarfs not to put food in all of the fucking barrels I am making for them?

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Couscous wrote: »
    Is there a known bug that causes dwarfs not to put food in all of the fucking barrels I am making for them?

Are your stockpiles full?

They only put food in a barrel that is assigned a slot in a stockpile.

xzzy on
  • Options
    rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I must be doing something wrong. I'm digging all over the place but not finding anything it will let me melt.

rayofash on
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    rayofash wrote: »
    I must be doing something wrong. I'm digging all over the place but not finding anything it will let me melt.

Ores and alloys and such aren't melted, they're smelted. The jobs to do such SHOULD show up on the smelter's list once you have the required materials (it won't give you the option to make steel bars unless you have pig iron and stuff sitting around, etc)

NEO|Phyte on
    It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »

Ores and alloys and such aren't melted, they're smelted. The jobs to do such SHOULD show up on the smelter's list once you have the required materials (it won't give you the option to make steel bars unless you have pig iron and stuff sitting around, etc)

I try to smelt and it says it doesn't have anything to smelt. What do I do to get something to smelt? My dwarves are digging all over the place.

In the smelter I have the option to 'melt a metal object' and then it cancels when I select it saying it needs a 'melt-designated item'.

rayofash on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    You melt pieces of armor, to recover some metal from them. You have to cursor over these items and designate them for melting with the 'M' key.

As for ore, you only get smeltable ore when you dig in veins.. they are distinct from normal rock and normally appear in long, twisty lines. Magnetite sometimes shows up in huge blobs.

xzzy on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I guess I just have to keep digging around until I find some veins then.

Edit: Oh, think I found one. Oh, it's just coal.

rayofash on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I guess I just have to keep digging around until I find some veins then.

Edit: Oh, think I found one. Oh, it's just coal.

You'll want to make coke out of that at your smelter

much better than using wood.

most minerals have the * character. if you're not sure what it's good for just use the k command on a spot of it. in the description it will say "ore of such and such". Not all ore's uses are obvious just from the name

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Sometimes, I'm a moron. Here's a picture of a highly ineffective floodgate.

FloodgateMoron.png

Fortunately, my second floodgate will prevent firey death and destruction.

hmxmoss on
    burning.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Damn, one of my legendary miners is gonna flip out because he can't find any shells. I forgot to create a proper turtle shell repository, so whatever shells I had all disintegrated. D'oh! And my fisherdwarfs aren't finding any.

Please, please, please merchants... bring turtles!

hmxmoss on
    burning.jpg
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    xzzy wrote: »
    I never keep nobles around. My latest noble disposal device is a couple of raising bridges up on a one-column thick tower about 15-20 levels high linked to a lever. Set the profile to only allow the nobles to pull the lever, wait for a noble to get flung off into oblivion, and reset the bridges with another lever. Repeat until noble infestation subsides.

You can also eliminate nobles by capping your population at 79.. they trigger at 80 dwarves. You might have to turn off births though, there's quirks with the way the game allows babies when you're under the population cap.

I just cap my forts at 50 dwarves, is more than enough to run a fortress.

Or, you know, I can just WACHUNK the nobles to their deaths. What's the point of a fortress with less death than is amusing?

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    What can you do with turtle shells and how do you use them? I have a ton of them.

rayofash on
  • Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    xzzy wrote: »
    I never keep nobles around. My latest noble disposal device is a couple of raising bridges up on a one-column thick tower about 15-20 levels high linked to a lever. Set the profile to only allow the nobles to pull the lever, wait for a noble to get flung off into oblivion, and reset the bridges with another lever. Repeat until noble infestation subsides.

You can also eliminate nobles by capping your population at 79.. they trigger at 80 dwarves. You might have to turn off births though, there's quirks with the way the game allows babies when you're under the population cap.

I just cap my forts at 50 dwarves, is more than enough to run a fortress.

Or, you know, I can just WACHUNK the nobles to their deaths. What's the point of a fortress with less death than is amusing?

Keeping the nobles around results in more amusing deaths, I think.

Garthor on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    What can you do with turtle shells and how do you use them? I have a ton of them.

From the Craftsdwarf's Workshop (iirc), you can "Decorate with shells". Any decoration task will increase the value of the decorate object.

However, one of the most important uses for turtle shells is preventing dwarfs from going insane. It's not entirely uncommon for a dwarf to enter a strange mood (fey/possessed/macabre/etc), and it's not uncommon for a moody dwarf to require shells amongst other things.

Moody dwarfs that are unable to get the things they need eventually snap. If they do, one of three things happen:

1. They become melancholy and just mope around or commit suicide.
    2. They go insane, run around babbling, strip naked and forget to eat (so they eventually die of starvation).
    3. They go berserk and attack other dwarfs. If you have a guard, they may come by and put the dwarf down.

In any of the three cases, the dwarf will die... a dwarf that fails a mood is doomed. In the last case, they may do some damage to those around them.

It's fun! :D

hmxmoss on
    burning.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Well, I'm still outside with everything. I did my mega-collapse finally, and am routing in magma and lava. Haven't done anything for defense aside from training up some troops.

Well, my pop hit 90+ and so I got a goblin siege. Not too large... 16. I ready the troops, but they weren't really needed. The goblins decided to attack the kobolds on the map and entered their caves, slaughtering and getting slaughtered. The siege eventually broke without interference from me.

Not to say I didn't do anything... I positioned my troops just outside the only exit from the caverns, so the escaping gobs came out into the sunlight only to have my bolts rain down upon them, and hammers and swords to the face.

Opportunity taken!

hmxmoss on
    burning.jpg
  • Options
    EndlessInfinityEndlessInfinity Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

You can use them for decoration and... I think... you can make bone armour out of them (both at a craftsdwarf's workshop). I find the best thing is to save them in your refuse pile in the even that a dwarf has a strange mood and needs shells (because, otherwise, you might be in trouble unless you can fish a turtle really quickly, and then leave it outside to rot)

Yeah... the elves are sending an ambush (:oops: I used dwarf companion to find out why the camera did a sudden shift with no announcement). Although I have 3 champions, they have no real armor or weapons... so I'm going to have to think of something drastic, or I'm going to get violated by machinebows. Maybe if I let them come in close, and have my champions and townsfolk rush in from the sides, so they don't get shot to shit.

16 elves vs about 16 dwarves, 3 of which are champion wrestlers, two of which are legendary miners. This is going to be interesting.... they haven't started moving yet, so I might be able to get some traps up to even the odds

EndlessInfinity on
    MH3 ID : Gernot 92TE9P
    SC2: Zwillinge
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    So I start up my new fort. I find a suitable hillside to dig into, and designate a chunk of hill as upramps (so I can revove the dirt and the floor above) so I can smooth out my entrance wall.

A tree falls from above and kills one of my only two miners. In the first thirty fucking seconds he mangages to get crushed by a tree. And my dwarfs are all depressed now.

Not having time to set up my usual crypt on the bottom z-level, the idiot is entombed in my entrance hallway. I better get some hilarious carvings out of this.

Aioua on
    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Wow... that worked fairly decently. Enlisted everyone and set up a meeting zone so all the animals would muster in between the elves and me, that way they'd turn visible. Some injuries, lost a champion to an arrow through the heart (and the elves are to blame!). I hate elves even more now... but at least those filthy cannibals won't devour this fortress!

EndlessInfinity on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Is there anyway to start a new game without having to generate a new world?

Edit: And how can you tell if the area you're starting at has magma?

rayofash on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Is there anyway to start a new game without having to generate a new world?

Edit: And how can you tell if the area you're starting at has magma?

A. you'd have to abandon your current fort to do so. A little trick is if you have your game set to auto-backup, you can sacrifice one of those old backups to start a new fort. Otherwise, I think you're out of luck

B. when you're choosing an embark location, if you hit tab you can get to the finder, which you can use to locate a spot with magma (a pipe replenishes, a pool does not). Be aware, the magma might not be on the surface, so you might have to do some exploratory digging to find it.

EndlessInfinity on
  • Options
    WoggleWoggle OheoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    You can also set the embark map to show all the features present if you go into the init.txt.

About halfway down there's a bunch of options that should look like [SHOW_EMBARK_M_PIPE:ALWAYS].

Woggle on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Work is slow for my legendary miners, so I'm sending them out on hunts. The mental image of a dwarf chasing down a deer on foot, then hitting it in its midsection with a mining pick is both terrifying and hilarious.

EndlessInfinity on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Why can pig tails only grow during the later parts of the year? It's underground, the temperature is constant.

rayofash on
  • Options
    BrianBrian Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Why can pig tails only grow during the later parts of the year? It's underground, the temperature is constant.

Dwarflaw. Do not disobey the Mountainhomes!

Brian on
  • Options
    DkarrdeDkarrde Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    So, found an interesting if somewhat cheesy trick for increasing dwarf attributes in fortress mode.
    Organizer skill increases at a rate of (10)x(number of items in work order validated)xp per work order. The maximum number per work order is 30, so an organizer gets 300 experience an order. Usually it takes half a day at most even for a dabbling organizer to do a work order.

So you fill your manager screen ( j -> m ) with 30-unit work orders of some type that can't or won't be fulfilled (I picked collect webs as it's the first one on the list and I don't have an active loom or any cave spiders), and assign a peasant to the Manager noble position. Make sure he has an office, then watch him go. They gain experience ten times faster than any other profession in the game currently with this little trick.

Dkarrde on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Hey, dwerps, new DFG up, with a certain interesting dwarf tileset that has recently popped up.
    I need feedback, the previous release had some bugs, I'd rather avoid it this time.

http://mayday.w.staszic.waw.pl/df.php

Mayday on
  • Options
    TVs_FrankTVs_Frank Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    My dorfs are the most unoriginal craftsmen ever.
    mydorfssuck.jpg

TVs_Frank on
  • Options
    WoggleWoggle OheoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    TVs_Frank wrote: »
    mydorfssuck.jpg

Dear god, the font. D:

Tell me that's an effect of the image capturing or something.

Woggle on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Okay, now I'm a little worried:

Thantislam.png

First, why are my fey moods tending towards making picks?

Second, how useful can it be... a pick made from trout bones?

Third, why is there a picture of a demon striking down a dwarf?

Fourth, why is it named Crossdessert? Are we dwarfs dessert for angry demons???

hmxmoss on
    burning.jpg
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    hmxmoss wrote: »
    Okay, now I'm a little worried:

Thantislam.png

First, why are my fey moods tending towards making picks?

Second, how useful can it be... a pick made from trout bones?

Third, why is there a picture of a demon striking down a dwarf?

Fourth, why is it named Crossdessert? Are we dwarfs dessert for angry demons???

Random Number Generator God at work.
    Pretty useful, I don't think material matters for pick use, if the dwarf that made it ever stops lifting it above it's head in glory that is.
    It's a legend most likely.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Pretty useful, I don't think material matters for pick use, if the dwarf that made it ever stops lifting it above it's head in glory that is.
    It's a legend most likely.

Endless_Serpents cancels Provide Answers: interrupted by Rhetorical Questions.

:P

hmxmoss on
    burning.jpg
  • Options
    MifioMifio MrrlendRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Is there ever going to be another one of those PA Dwarf Fort sharing groups?

Mifio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Mifio wrote: »
    Is there ever going to be another one of those PA Dwarf Fort sharing groups?

What do you mean by "sharing groups?" Succession/bloodline game? If so, Oceanside is currently in progress. Just need someone to take the next turn (and update uploaded on the last turn).

hmxmoss on
    burning.jpg
  • Options
    TVs_FrankTVs_Frank Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Woggle wrote: »
    TVs_Frank wrote: »
    mydorfssuck.jpg

Dear god, the font. D:

Tell me that's an effect of the image capturing or something.

Yeah I'm using a 9x9 set at a really high resolution. I just like the diagonal tiles for smoothed walls.

TVs_Frank on
This discussion has been closed.