As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Anime Thread] S2: Haruhi Strikes Back

• Options
    juice for jesusjuice for jesus Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    gendo.jpg

juice for jesus on
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I like K-on quite a bit, but I think it's funny how they go out of their way to avoid animating them actually playing the instruments as much as possible. As soon as someone starts playing, it cuts away to the people watching or something else. Kinda lazy. But the show is a lot of fun.

Nothing special there. Remember they need to put out an episode a week on a relatively smaller budget. A lot of anime will go out of the way a bit to have a speaker's mouth be blocked. Sorry to do this to you all, but you're gonna start noticing that a lot now if you already haven't.

Even if they are going to show the speaker's mouth, it will only very rarely be moving so they just have to animate the mouth and maybe a jaw line. Typically the camera cuts to the speaker, there is about .5 to 2 seconds of animation, the character stops moving and then delivers his line. Then another cut and the process is repeated. Over and over and over again.

You don't see it as much in really good animation like you get from Disney or Studio Ghibli. Gainax and Nick are kinda hit or miss.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    MusanMusan Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    redx wrote: »
    I like K-on quite a bit, but I think it's funny how they go out of their way to avoid animating them actually playing the instruments as much as possible. As soon as someone starts playing, it cuts away to the people watching or something else. Kinda lazy. But the show is a lot of fun.

Nothing special there. Remember they need to put out an episode a week on a relatively smaller budget. A lot of anime will go out of the way a bit to have a speaker's mouth be blocked. Sorry to do this to you all, but you're gonna start noticing that a lot now if you already haven't.

Even if they are going to show the speaker's mouth, it will only very rarely be moving so they just have to animate the mouth and maybe a jaw line. Typically the camera cuts to the speaker, there is about .5 to 2 seconds of animation, the character stops moving and then delivers his line. Then another cut and the process is repeated. Over and over and over again.

You don't see it as much in really good animation like you get from Disney or Studio Ghibli. Gainax and Nick are kinda hit or miss.

The Blu-ray remastered version of EVA 1.11 is definitely a hit in my opinion, looks really nice. But that's a movie, and you can see they didn't hold back on the budget there.

Musan on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    ph blake wrote: »
    Newest Naruto chapter wasn't nearly as retarded as the spoilers made it out to be.

One Piece was amazing as usual and
    The confrontation between Blackbeard and Luffy was really interesting. Blackbeard seems to know more about what's going on then just about anyone else in the show (his comment about Haki, his believing in Sky Island and being so sure that One Piece exists, not to mention whatever plans he has for Impel Down); it makes me wonder if he is working for someone else or is just really, really well informed as well as being super ambitious.

EDIT: Oh yeah, add a +1 to the Baccano! recommendations, that show is fucking awesome with great writing, great action, and great characters. It also has the best dub in any anime ever (yes even better than Cowboy Bebop).

Re: One Piece
    Agreed about Blackbeard. It seems really strange just how much of a planner he is. Everything he's done seems to all be for a greater goal, with very little of it personal or on a whim- which makes me really wonder why he was storming Impel Down, and what his "show that will rock the world to the core" is.

Maybe something hidden at the bottom? Or perhaps just hanging out and causing chaos during Ace's execution?

Also, Croc was cooler than the other side of the pillow in this chapter. Gotta love his "I'm not interested" line to BB.

More Op
    Teach at the very least is going to be the last major villian. He can negate Evil fruit powers. As to his reasons for being in Impel down? I think he's working for Dragon.
    Then Dragon better have a hell of a lot of physical stamina, strength and a bitchin devil fruit power to have Blackbeard serving under him.

Godfather on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Godfather wrote: »
    Newest Naruto chapter wasn't nearly as retarded as the spoilers made it out to be.

The confrontation between Blackbeard and Luffy was really interesting. Blackbeard seems to know more about what's going on then just about anyone else in the show (his comment about Haki, his believing in Sky Island and being so sure that One Piece exists, not to mention whatever plans he has for Impel Down); it makes me wonder if he is working for someone else or is just really, really well informed as well as being super ambitious.

EDIT: Oh yeah, add a +1 to the Baccano! recommendations, that show is fucking awesome with great writing, great action, and great characters. It also has the best dub in any anime ever (yes even better than Cowboy Bebop).

Agreed about Blackbeard. It seems really strange just how much of a planner he is. Everything he's done seems to all be for a greater goal, with very little of it personal or on a whim- which makes me really wonder why he was storming Impel Down, and what his "show that will rock the world to the core" is.

Maybe something hidden at the bottom? Or perhaps just hanging out and causing chaos during Ace's execution?

Also, Croc was cooler than the other side of the pillow in this chapter. Gotta love his "I'm not interested" line to BB.

More Op
    Teach at the very least is going to be the last major villian. He can negate Evil fruit powers. As to his reasons for being in Impel down? I think he's working for Dragon.
    Then Dragon better have a hell of a lot of physical stamina, strength and a bitchin devil fruit power to have Blackbeard serving under him.
    I'd be shocked if he needed a Devil fruit. Look at Garp for a refrence on how naturally strong the Monkey family is.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    edited May 2009

More Op
    I'd be shocked if he needed a Devil fruit. Look at Garp for a refrence on how naturally strong the Monkey family is.
    He managed to Shake off Smoker back in Lougetown without lifting a finger.

Definitely a fruit user.

Godfather on
  • Options
    Corp.ShephardCorp.Shephard Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    OP discussion
    I always suspected that Dragon had the Storm or maybe Weather fruit or some such. Afterall, we know that he intervened during Luffy's "execution" at the hands of buggy at Lougetown. What intervened? A storm and lightning that appeared on Dragon's arrival.

Having that sort of devils' fruit in naval combat would make you an incredibly powerful person as well. After all, one of history's most decisive moments was when the Spanish Armada was completely crushed by a storm right before they engaged the British. The Marines would be nearly powerless against someone with those powers.

I don't think anything has been explicitly said about his abilities though.

Corp.Shephard on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    OP discussion
    I always suspected that Dragon had the Storm or maybe Weather fruit or some such. Afterall, we know that he intervened during Luffy's "execution" at the hands of buggy at Lougetown. What intervened? A storm and lightning that appeared on Dragon's arrival.

Having that sort of devils' fruit in naval combat would make you an incredibly powerful person as well. After all, one of history's most decisive moments was when the Spanish Armada was completely crushed by a storm right before they engaged the British. The Marines would be nearly powerless against someone with those powers.

Or maybe it's the Wind Logia fruit.

Condensed air pressure causes lightning you know.

Godfather on
  • Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    OP discussion

Or maybe it's the Wind Logia fruit.

Condensed air pressure causes lightning you know.
    That would make sense.

As I recall, it was a huge gust of wind that allowed Luffy to escape Loguetown.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    ParisInFlamesParisInFlames Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    One piece manga:

I'm just putting this out here now. Blackbeard's in ID for an old crewmate/ally. He doesn't seem to be there to directly help Luffy. It seems silly to arbitrarily go to ID to fight anyone, and the only thing in ID are prisoners. Before you say he's going to recruit Shiryuu, I think he saw the futility in fighting Blackbeard plus crew and saw the once in a lifetime opportunity to escape his sentence in ID.

Who knows, maybe there's another former shibukai down in level 6 that Whitebeard took out and BB is there to give him a chance at revenge. Or maybe someones down there who if he frees he can gain someones allegiance. So yeah, at this point Blackbeard's appearance has been nothing but a conundrum.

ParisInFlames on
    UnderwaterUmbrellaGirlwider.jpg
    Steam id: skoot LoL id: skoot
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    One piece manga:
    Spoilerly stuff

I suggest you spoiler that . some people are watching the anime and haven't got to that point yet.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    First episode of the new Haruhi stuff was pretty solid and dead on with the light novel.

Henroid on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    All of the Haruhi stuff aired so far follows the original work extremely closely. It's part of the reason it is so damn good.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    JawaJawa Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Watched the new Haruhi which wa great
    The time travel bit with Yuki was a bit confusing but I think I got it now.
    When is the next new episode due out?

Jawa on
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Jawa wrote: »

I'm still confused as to how the watch continued working. There is also some general curiosity on my part
    about the message since it actually meant something, because I'm not sure if Yuki just didn't want to answer about whether it was an alien language or whether she was surprised that Kyon was too dense to see the resemblance:

shot0062-1.jpg

shot0064.jpg

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    That as well as the bit about
    Yuki's method of time travel, I understand that she is able to sync herself across space and time. But if it were that case that she met Kyon and Asahina for the first time back when Haruhi was in middle school wouldn't she not be wearing the glasses when the viewer is first introduced to her?

Time travel is always a huge brain twister for me.

As for the watch bit I mean its a watch from the future. The future has some cool things.

Jawa on
  • Options
    setrajonassetrajonas Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Jesus christ Jawa is there a reason you keep breaking h-scroll?

setrajonas on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    setrajonas wrote: »
    Jesus christ Jawa is there a reason you keep breaking h-scroll?

Sorry about that my Sig was outdated and felt like stretching the tables on the forum apart should be fixed now

Jawa on
  • Options
    ZandraconZandracon Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Barrakketh wrote: »

I'm still confused as to how the watch continued working. There is also some general curiosity on my part
    about the message since it actually meant something, because I'm not sure if Yuki just didn't want to answer about whether it was an alien language or whether she was surprised that Kyon was too dense to see the resemblance:

shot0062-1.jpg

shot0064.jpg
    "I am here."

Zandracon on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Zandracon wrote: »

shot0062-1.jpg

shot0064.jpg
    "I am here."

I know what she said it meant. He asked another question after that:
    Kyon: What does this say?
    Yuki: "I'm here".
    Yuki: That's what's written.
    Kyon: Is this some kind of alien language?
    Kyon (Narrator) Nagato didn't answer.

I even mentioned his question in my last reply :P

Barrakketh on
  • Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    So, Haruhi. I've never seen it before, but would it be something I'm interested in? What exactly is it?

Thetheroo on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Thetheroo wrote: »
    So, Haruhi. I've never seen it before, but would it be something I'm interested in? What exactly is it?
    It's just a fantastically well produced show about stuff that if we tell you what it's about it may ruin it a little.

It's largely a comedy but it has lots of other genres mixed in.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Thetheroo wrote: »

Egomaniacal girl is bored with normal life, forms a club to seek out the supernatural, such as aliens, time travelers, and ESPers. Adventures happen, and a really lousy movie is produced.

juice for jesus on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I don't want to discuss it, because lol spoilers, but I read Scott Pilgrim vol1 today and feel that it and Haruhi are pretty much the same. One told if a Canadian made something, and one told if a Japanese made something.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    blkmageblkmage Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Zandracon wrote: »

shot0062-1.jpg

shot0064.jpg
    "I am here."

I know what she said it meant. He asked another question after that:
    Kyon: What does this say?
    Yuki: "I'm here".
    Yuki: That's what's written.
    Kyon: Is this some kind of alien language?
    Kyon (Narrator) Nagato didn't answer.

I even mentioned his question in my last reply :P

About the watch, I believe Mikuru mentions that it adjusts itself to the correct time and date for where they are.

blkmage on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    huh. i can't find haruhi s2 02 anywhere

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    setrajonassetrajonas Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    That would be because it doesn't exist yet.

setrajonas on
  • Options
    FalxFalx Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Edit: image gone

So... my subtitles have started doing this. Ever since I downloaded and installed the version of MPC which is newer than the CCCP one.

Was that a bad idea? Can I fix it? I've never had to tinker with this stuff before since it's always just worked fine for me, so the large amount of settings is a little daunting.

Edit: Damnit... the screenshot makes it look fine... nevermind I think I know what's wrong.

Falx on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    what's everyone talking about then?

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Haruhi is being re-aired in chronological order with the new season's episodes shoved in at the appropriate places. Should be a couple more weeks before another new episode airs, iirc.

juice for jesus on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Okay, I'm reading some weird stuff about the episode order in Haruhi here. Should I watch in chronological order or episode order?

Thetheroo on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Personally, I liked the mixed up order of the first season. Gave it a Pulp Fiction-ish vibe. However, some people didn't care for it (either because it was "pretentious" or confusing). More importantly, the original airing order starts with their "home movie" project, with no background on why it is the way it is. That can be a little off-putting.

Watching the first season in chronological order would leave the dramatic climax somewhere in the middle of the series, with some minor adventures following. The new season might flesh that out and make a chronological viewing more satisfying in that respect.

Both ways have their proponents and detractors.

juice for jesus on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I'd recommend broadcast (non-chronological) order.

Barrakketh on
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'd recommend broadcast (non-chronological) order.

That first episode threw me for a total loop when it originally aired. I have a three episode rule when starting to watch a show luckily, or I would have dropped it.

Kelor on
  • Options
    FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    If you didn't like the movie episode, I have nothing but hyperbolically bad things to say about you.

Frosteey on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Good lord, is Haruhi a jerk.

Thetheroo on
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Frosteey wrote: »
    If you didn't like the movie episode, I have nothing but hyperbolically bad things to say about you.

Pistols then sir.

At dawn.

Once I understood what the first broadcast episode was I enjoyed it more, but boob lasers aren't really my cup of tea. There's enough shows around (Queen's Blade!) that would have series like that throughout I initially took it at face value rather than the role it plays in the series as a whole.

I really need to get around to seeing that new one I guess.

Kelor on
  • Options
    victor_c26victor_c26 Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Holy crap. I didn't know that Haruhi was back.

*Goes to look for it*

victor_c26 on
    It's been so long since I've posted here, I've removed my signature since most of what I had here were broken links. Shows over, you can carry on to the next post.
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The first episode (broadcast order) is great. Simply amazing.

Anyway, I think broadcast order makes more narrative sense.

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    i like broadcast order

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png