Options

When was the last time A.I. impressed you?

• Options
    El VientoEl Viento Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    LewieP wrote: »
    El Viento wrote: »
    Trying to re-take Manchester street by street against some very determined Chimera in Resistance.

is Manchester actually in Resistance?

A version of it is. :) The only thing that really relates to real-life is the cathedral though. You have a pretty intense fight down a hillside of destroyed terrace streets, then through some rat run terraces towards the city centre. a trip through the cathedral then it's pretty much over.

El Viento on
    vf5bannerok6.jpg
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Forza 2 supposedly has some pretty sick AI

1upYours talked about how they didn't program the AI for the game they just let it learn how to race. After a while it started break checking people without even being told how to do it.

i wonder how long before it starts racing round the wrong way to cause crashes..

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    MA17 wrote: »
    The healthbar in Trespasser was awesome.

that's all you really need

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    Duchess ProzacDuchess Prozac Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Oblivion

Okay. the AI in Oblivion was rubbish given that it was mjeant to be so impressive.

The AI that I found to be most impressive was F.E.A.R.

Having the soldiers flank me or flee when I had killed most of the squad was really impressive.

Duchess Prozac on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The Dreamcast---It's thinking.

I never really got those commercials. Why was the Japanese spy stealing a Dreamcast and how did the Dreamcast outsmart her without being plugged in?

emnmnme on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I rather enjoy the A.I. in Company of Heroes.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    InsiderInsider Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Oblivion

Okay. the AI in Oblivion was rubbish given that it was mjeant to be so impressive.

Having the soldiers flank me or flee when I had killed most of the squad was really impressive.

Radiant AI was by far one of the most disappointing things in a game ever. They hyped that up so much and it was nothing but crap.

Insider on
    Steam
    Sneaky..
  • Options
    SavedSaved Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Oh, Ultima had some good AI too. The characters actually had pretty complete daily cycles, closing up shope, going home and having dinner with the family and then going home, all on their own.

Saved on
  • Options
    Si SenorSi Senor Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    the locust in gears flanked me quite a lot. like, they'd go round the sides and before i know it they are behind me slamming me on the back of the head.

Si Senor on
    sigging2.jpg
  • Options
    revolverevolve Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Insider wrote: »
    Oblivion

Radiant AI was by far one of the most disappointing things in a game ever. They hyped that up so much and it was nothing but crap.

It's 'cause they neutered it so much :(

I remember reading shit like, skooma addicts fiending for their fix, and killing off people who HAD skooma, just to get high. And then guards arresting/killing them for doing so.

Then I see in-game, skooma addicts just "im in ur skooma den, talkin ur scripted replies"

revolve on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Mace1370Mace1370 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    darleysam wrote: »
    Axen wrote: »
    FEAR. Goddamn those clone soldiers!

quoted for truth. When i realised they were flanking me and trying to flush me out of corners and stuff, or you hear their conversations when you've disappeared ("go look for him" and stuff), i realised it was something pretty smart. Very impressed.

The first time this happened to me I was floored. I remember thinking to myself right when I realized that someone had gotten behind me, "No... AI isn't clever enough to pull that off."

Also, the AI in oblivion was pure crap. I could be out in the middle of no where, stalking an innocent farmer and the AI would "miraculously" find me the instant I killed him. Alternatively, I could be in someone's house just talking to them and then on a whim decide to kill them. All of a sudden I am greeted by a knocking on the door, "Castle Guards! Random dead body search!" Bah...

Mace1370 on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Oblivion

*cough*Emotion Engine*cough*

emnmnme on
  • Options
    AhtariAhtari Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I really liked how the locust would find better cover if they started getting hit where they were.

Ahtari on
  • Options
    GinsaneGinsane Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    When I read Neuromancer. And I guess, you know, FEAR. They can freakin' jump over crap!

Ginsane on
    Live!: Burnout Cowboy - DS: Too many.
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Ginsane wrote: »
    When I read Neuromancer. And I guess, you know, FEAR. They can freakin' jump over crap!

Jumping is useless.

revolve on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    GinsaneGinsane Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I never wanted to be a clone more...
    All should assimilate into singularity.

Ginsane on
    Live!: Burnout Cowboy - DS: Too many.
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    revolve wrote: »
    Ginsane wrote: »

Jumping is useless.

There is no escaping it, the bullet is enormous.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    eobeteobet 8-bit childhood SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I don't even remember when that was.

Damn, that's sad.

eobet on
    Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I remember being fairly imrpessed by the Ai in the later MoH games. It was fairly scripted but believable. Guys would pin you down and some would draw your fire while others tried to flank you.

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    darleysam wrote: »
    JeffH wrote: »
    Carnivore wrote: »
    Not that FEAR had particularly amazing AI, its just the scripting and squad communication was top notch that gave the impression of great AI, which is what good AI is all about. Illusion.

The only AI that wasn't scripting I can think of offhand was probably Black and White

i remember my being impressed that my brother had a creature that liked collecting things. It would wander off into the village and pick up stuff, then bring it back and arrange it into a circle.
    I tried teaching mine to skim villages across the sea, but to no avail :(

I remember I got a creature that liked to eat villages, and also liked to shit on them. He also liked eating his shit, and smacking him for it just seemed to make him afraid of eating in general. The learning was more transparent in B&W2, but probably a similar model (in B&W2 you could see the specific action that you were praising/punishing your creature for.)

LockeCole on
  • Options
    Liquid HellzLiquid Hellz Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The CS:S bots. My roommate and I used to like to start a Condition Zero game and go back to back against a million bots sometimes, but when we switched to CS: Source, it was a whole different ballgame. They frigging had great reflexes, shot through walls and at barely exposed skin, and actively surrounded us and made efforts to surprise us in every possible way.

I am defiantly agreeing here, the bots in Source are ridiculously good.

Liquid Hellz on
    What I do for a living:
    Home Inspection and Wind Mitigation
    http://www.FairWindInspections.com/
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Brothers in Arms, the sequal or whatever. That had pretty ambitious AI. It was also a hard fucking game.

tyrannus on
  • Options
    WitchdrWitchdr Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    MA17 wrote: »
    The dinosaur AI in Trespasser included checks for things like hunger, meaning you could walk by a Tyrannosaurus safely sometimes, or could (theoretically) lure a large dumb creature towards the T. Rex as bait, then scurry away unhurt, and I thought that was pretty cool.

In practice, though, it sure looked like the raptors were always hungry and possibly angry, and the T. Rexes either noticed you or didn't, it wasn't always easy to tell just WHAT their motives were, since I was loathe to attract their attention regardless of how full they might be. Plus, I was so busy trying not to drop my gun while walking up a gentle incline that I hardly noticed any dinosaurs.

Man, fuck that game.

Man talk about a throwback for me. I think its safe for me to say that beating Trespasser was the most satisfied I’ve been after beating a video game.

One particular accomplishment was when I accidentally saved my game where I had 2 raptors attacking me almost instantly after loading (and I had 1 shot in my gun). After many deaths I got lucky, one raptor ran at me and when I turned and dodged I accidentally knocked it off a ledge. I somehow bludgeoned the other one to death with my gun before it could kill me.

Witchdr on
    "Look, all I know is that this cord was plugged into my house and your house was glowing like the freakin' sun. So, I put two and two together there and decided that you're pissing me off." -Carl Brutananadilewski

In regards to the advocates of his former empire: “I was going to have them all executed… the Royal Advocate talked me out of it.” -Shadowthrone (Emperor Kellanved)

Handles: LoL-Emerging, BF4/Hardline-Whiskeyjack227, Steam-Fragglerock, HOTS/Blizzard-Whiskeyjack#1333, Life-Jason
  • Options
    NexusSixNexusSix Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    It takes a lot for A.I. to truly impress me. I play a lot of FPS games and the bulk of those, even that we're now in another "next" gen, still have enemies doing the static patrol script routine. That's not to say that the static scripts aren't more complex and challenging these days, and I still have fun playing against the CPU (I'm a Ghost Recon addict and love Splinter Cell), but that type of A.I. doesn't actually impress me.

The only time I can remember A.I. really blowing my socks off was playing Halo 1 and messing around with trying different difficulty settings. I remember Flawless Cowboy on Legendary, having ongoing tug-of-war engagements with the Covenant for hours on end, trying to jockey for a superior firing position or perform, or defend against, flanking moves. You really had to combine sharp thinking with quick reflexes to take down all of the enemies and it was unforgiving if you made any mistakes.

Gears of War does have good A.I., but when I play Gears, it feels about the same as Halo 1. I haven't seen anything new fighting the Locust that I haven't seen battling the Coevenant already. Not saying Gears is bad, just nothing new for me.

Edit: For their time, Perfect Dark's Bots were pretty slick.

The A.I. in the first Forza wasn't too bad, but got rather aggressive.

I haven't played F.E.A.R. Half-Life 2... great game, but I didn't think the A.I. was anything special.

NexusSix on
    REASON - Version 1.0B7 Gatling type 3 mm hypervelocity railgun system
    Ng Security Industries, Inc.
    PRERELEASE VERSION-NOT FOR FIELD USE - DO NOT TEST IN A POPULATED AREA
    -ULTIMA RATIO REGUM-
  • Options
    waywardryanwaywardryan Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    halflife

waywardryan on
    Lemon - Bright Wizard
    Bijaz - Ironbreaker
  • Options
    DírhaelDírhael NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Why haven't anyone mentioned the Thief games yet? Because you know, someone really should.

Would they be as impressive today as back when I first played the original? I have no idea, but back then....holy shit!

Dírhael on
  • Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I was impressed or at least challenged with the AI in fear and the expansion (I assume it didn't change)

Enemies would actively try and locate me and flank me. Would throw grenades when I was hiding, melee when I was close and not just keep firing. I also liked the calling to other team members or giving orders, it was a nice touch, not sure whether or not the soldiers reacted though.

Aridhol on
  • Options
    MVMosinMVMosin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    Went back to play Freedom Fighters and Resident Evil 4.

Before RE 4 came out, people talked about what great AI it was going to have, mostly because of that video of Leon barricading himself in a house and the villagers brought ladders and a chainsaw to try and capture and/or kill him. That was impressive because many were lead to believe that it was... Not sure how to put it. A "representative sample" of gameplay. Anyone that played RE 4 can tell you that it wasn't.

Freedom Fighters... The AI efficiently took cover and returned fire with almost military coordination and precision. If someone got wounded, the remaining squad members wouldn't heal him or her, but they would immediately put down suppressing fire to allow you to reach him or her. Very nice.

Whereas RE4 NPCs had undeveloped AI that was finetuned for certain situations, Freedom Fighters had excellent AI that was tailored to everything except those special scenarios. My little freedom fighter posse never reacts well to the odd helicopter or tank.

Freedom Fighters wins.

MVMosin on
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    We need another Freedom Fighters, perhaps with the Gears engine, whatever engine that was cause I don't know.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    MVMosinMVMosin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    revolve wrote: »
    Oblivion

It's 'cause they neutered it so much :(

I remember reading shit like, skooma addicts fiending for their fix, and killing off people who HAD skooma, just to get high. And then guards arresting/killing them for doing so.

Then I see in-game, skooma addicts just "im in ur skooma den, talkin ur scripted replies"

Skooma addicts... There were about three sellers in the game, and addicts... There was like, ONE.

But, in Bethesda's defence, the stuff they said about fiendish skooma addicts, realistic guards, and the like, actually wasn't BS. They had to do away with a lot of the stuff, because the AI got so involved it sometimes made the game unplayable.

...Ironic, I know.

Edit: I overlooked the line about them "neutering it." So I will just sum up my post by agreeing with that.

Gears actually doesn't run on an engine. It runs on love.

Every time you act like a chainsaw noobsalad, a kitten turns on its owner.

Every time you host a game and have the audacity to actually play, the divorce rate gets a little higher.

MVMosin on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    We need another Freedom Fighters, perhaps with the Gears engine, whatever engine that was cause I don't know.
    Epic is well known for licensing the Crytek, Doom3 and Serious Sam engine for all their games.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    Resident0Resident0 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Formula One 2006 on PS2.

The racing A.I blew my nuts off, the GT4 A.I is all "Ok guys lets all drive in a dead straight line around the track and not ever make a mistake"...

The A.I in Formula One 2006 was "Right you fucking n00b gamer i'm gonna race you to bare bones and try and block all your attempts to pass me and brake late as possible on corners!"

then i'd see other CPU cars make mistakes and smash the fuck out their cars and you would see all the other CPU cars trying to swerve away from the debris and wreckage and some of them would see it too late and smash into it too, particularly nasty was when they would make you so involved at passing them they would steer you towards a sharp corner and just brake and take the corner whilst you flew past them off the sharp corner into a wall... Amazing A.I!

Which is why my first purchase for my PS3 is going to be "F1 Championship Edition" the graphics look immense and i hope the A.I is even better than the PS2 version!

Resident0 on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    CarnivoreCarnivore Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    LewieP wrote: »
    Trying to re-take Manchester street by street against some very determined Chimera in Resistance.

is Manchester actually in Resistance?

A version of it is. :) The only thing that really relates to real-life is the cathedral though. You have a pretty intense fight down a hillside of destroyed terrace streets, then through some rat run terraces towards the city centre. a trip through the cathedral then it's pretty much over.

My Dads old house is in Project Gotham 2.

In Edinburgh. His actual house =)

Carnivore on
    hihi.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    WHY wrote: »
    Epic is well known for licensing the Crytek, Doom3 and Serious Sam engine for all their games.

Nicely played

revolve on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    waywardryanwaywardryan Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    If freedom fighters had a better combat system (ie the weapons didn't feel like bb guns and require 18 shots to kill anybody) and if the enemy ai didn't suck (I just got shot in the head, oops, i'll just keep walking my rounds) it would have been an AMAZING game.

waywardryan on
    Lemon - Bright Wizard
    Bijaz - Ironbreaker
  • Options
    The_RatThe_Rat Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The first time the Gurlukovich soldiers breached and cleared a room in MGS2 was really impressive, even though it was fairly pre-scripted.

The_Rat on
  • Options
    Xenocide GeekXenocide Geek Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I think somebody brought it up earlier in the thread, but I think it's strange that what we refer to as "A.I." in games now, is actually just complex scripting, and not A.I. at all.

I'm not 100% sure on F.E.A.R.'s case, but I believe it's just a nice set of scripts. I.E. - you kill two soldiers as they start shooting at you. The script goes: if being shot at, go behind (static object, like a car, or a wall). If the dead soldiers = more than 2, move to next static object on the path. (I'm not a programmer, so this is totally in English terms)

Now, if the soldiers were actually learning on the fly your tactics, like, you were killing them with a sniper rifle, and rushed you, that'd be cool. That's also scriptable, though, just by specifying a weapon type being used.

I dunno, it's all so seemless now, you never know what really constitutes AI.

Xenocide Geek on
    i wanted love, i needed love
    most of all, most of all
    someone said true love was dead
    but i'm bound to fall
    bound to fall for you
    oh what can i do
  • Options
    NexusSixNexusSix Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The_Rat wrote: »
    was really impressive, even though it was fairly pre-scripted.

Which brings up another good point: killer scripting can be just as fun as killer A.I. I've been playing a lot of Call of Duty single-player lately, and I've been having more fun with that than single-player Gears. Linear gameplay and shallow A.I. routines can give more advanced, reactive A.I. a run for its money if done right. It's simply a matter of the developer taking the time to make it look as if the player is in the middle of a complex, changing environment.

A Gears firefight on a higher difficulty gives you a few crafty enemies and feels dynamic. A massive battle in Call of Duty with dozens of allies and enemies fighting while artillery shakes the Earth... it's highly scripted but can be even more exhilarating.

NexusSix on
    REASON - Version 1.0B7 Gatling type 3 mm hypervelocity railgun system
    Ng Security Industries, Inc.
    PRERELEASE VERSION-NOT FOR FIELD USE - DO NOT TEST IN A POPULATED AREA
    -ULTIMA RATIO REGUM-
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    What about guards actively searching for you? Like in Thief or Metal Gear, I'm sure developers figured out some way to make it so guards don't look in the same place twice. That's good AI then, right?

emnmnme on
  • Options
    Xenocide GeekXenocide Geek Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Couldn't that even be considered guards just going through a pre-defined path, and then eventually looping again when their huge path has been covered? Or just stopping, after they've done the route.

Xenocide Geek on
    i wanted love, i needed love
    most of all, most of all
    someone said true love was dead
    but i'm bound to fall
    bound to fall for you
    oh what can i do