As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

GOP: Internet Forum Is Liberal Echo Chamber

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Because if there's one thing children in poverty need, it's more incentive to eat at fucking McDonald's.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    PantsB wrote: »
    Example 23,410 on why the GOP is out of touch.
    In her June newsletter, State Rep. Cynthia Davis (R-MO) provided several “commentaries” to a press release from the Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services on a summer food program. The program provides “food during the summer for thousands of low-income Missouri children who rely on the school cafeteria for free or reduced-price meals during the regular school year.” Davis, who serves as the chairwoman of the Missouri House Special Standing Committee on Children and Families, questioned whether the program is “warranted,” and extolled the hidden benefits of child hunger:
    Who’s buying dinner? Who is getting paid to serve the meal? Churches and other non-profits can do this at no cost to the taxpayer if it is warranted. [...] Bigger governmental programs take away our connectedness to the human family, our brotherhood and our need for one another. [...] Anyone under 18 can be eligible? Can’t they get a job during the summer by the time they are 16? Hunger can be a positive motivator. What is wrong with the idea of getting a job so you can get better meals? Tip: If you work for McDonald’s, they will feed you for free during your break. [...] It really is all about increasing government spending, which means an increase in taxes for us to buy more free lunches and breakfasts.

A report by Feeding America found that one in five Missouri children currently lives with hunger. Taking apart Davis’ other arguments, a St. Louis Post-Dispatch editorial noted that most of the summer feeding program sites are actually hosted by churches and that the program, which is funded by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, fed 3.7 million meals at a total cost of less than $9.5 million last summer — “a pretty good use of federal money.” (HT: DailyKos diarist Dem Beans)

No word if she said if the children need tax payer funds they should die off to decrease the excess population

Once again, the Right takes a kernel of a good idea (we should encourage teens who are able to get themselves jobs, so that they don't grow up believing that they should always be dependant on others.) and turns it in to a HORRIBLE monster.

Yes, 16 year olds ought to have jobs, if they are able to work and have the time. That doesn't mean that we shouldn't be feeding the ones who can't work (can't find it, too busy with extra-curiculars, or whatever) and ALSO the younger kids.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Evander wrote: »
    The flavor bans are idiotic. If I, as an adult, want to smoke flavored tabacco, there should be nothing stopping me. Neither flavorings nor cigarettes are independantly illegal.

That said, we can't really blame canada for this after our whole buy american schtick (which I do support, to an extent.)

Flavoring the tabacco is trying to broaden the market... Canada has for a while been trying to narrow or eliminate smoking. This isnt about buying Canadian or anything like that. Even when I smoked 10 years ago, I never saw Camel or Marlborro for sale at the 7-11 / gas station in Canada, so I'm not sure how much of a market we are really cutting off.

I think that it's not the place of goverment to narrow or eliminate markets on moral grounds.

Evander on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Yes, 16 year olds ought to have jobs, if they are able to work and have the time. That doesn't mean that we shouldn't be feeding the ones who can't work (can't find it, too busy with extra-curiculars, or whatever) and ALSO the younger kids.

16 year olds should not be working in order to survive.
    I think that it's not the place of goverment to narrow or eliminate markets on moral grounds.

Yes because there isn't a rational purpose to reducing tobacco usageo_O

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Which is of course why child labor laws should be repealed immediately.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited June 2009
    Split off the cigarette discussion.

Now back to our regularly scheduled GOPing.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I picked up a Glenn Beck book yesterday. I intend to try to parse his particular brand of insanity and report back.

So far I know that he thinks the UN takes too many vacations (but doesn't seem to like it when they are in session ayway) and also that strawberry rhubarb pie is his favorite kind of pie.

Evander on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I was given "An Inconvenient Book" by one of my uncles, as a Christmas present.

I got about 150 pages in before I couldn't take it anymore. It was the first time I'd ever hurled a bound volume across the room in rage.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    EmanonEmanon __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    I picked up a Glenn Beck book yesterday. I intend to try to parse his particular brand of insanity and report back.

Bah, hardly anybody cared who Glenn Beck was till he went from HLN to FOX News. It's only when he killed the cable news competition that he gained attention. I doubt anybody would care if he was still on HLN.

Emanon on
    Treats Animals Right!
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    OptimusZed wrote: »

I got about 150 pages in before I couldn't take it anymore. It was the first time I'd ever hurled a bound volume across the room in rage.

He gave you a book by Glen Beck? Does he hate you?

Also, who knew Glen Beck was literate?

shryke on
  • Options
    ArgusArgus Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

I just looked that up on Amazon, and found a nice picture of a video for Glenn Beck:

ss_gbeck._SX320_CR0,0,0,0_PIen-us-vendor-play-shuttle-off,BottomLeft,0,43_.jpg

Argus on
    pasigsizedu5.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    shryke wrote: »

He gave you a book by Glen Beck? Does he hate you?

Also, who knew Glen Beck was literate?
    I'm one of 3 registered Democrats in my extended family, and I grew up in a house with the other two.

He doesn't hate me so much as think I'm wrong, yet inexplicably hard to out-debate.

Apparently he thought Glenn Beck could do better.

Ironically, I hadn't even really heard of Beck at the time. I knew he was a cable loudmouth, but I didn't know where he stood. Turns out; crazytown.

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    edited June 2009

that's the one I got.

I'm a fan of absurdist humor, so I couldn't resist.

his (manufactured, I hope) dialog transcription where he was saying to some muslim congressman "I'm not calling all muslims terrorists, but why are all muslims terrorists?" was particularly amusing.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

that's the one I got.

his (manufactured, I hope) dialog transcription where he was saying to some muslim congressman "I'm not calling all muslims terrorists, but why are all muslims terrorists?" was particularly amusing.
    That was real, I think.

"Congressman, I just want to say that I'm sure you're not a terrorist. But, at the same time, when I look at you I can't help think to myself; 'is that member of congress a terrorist?'"

It was one of the most cringeworthy youtube clips I've ever seen, including the one of my nephew breaking his arm skateboarding.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    edited June 2009
    Beck reminds me of that one comic strip (can't rememebr the name) that REALLY wants to be a conservative calvin and hobbes.

Beck wants to be the Conservative Jon Stewart, but can't seem to grasp the fact that Stewart is a comedian who happens to be liberal, and not the other way around. The Daily Show isn't INTENDED to be liberal, it just turns ou that way, so trying to INTEND for a conservative version doesn't work right.

edit: "Prickly City" is the comic, I think.

Evander on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Marco Rubio is a retard:
    I have a feeling the situation in Iran would be a little different if they had a 2nd amendment like ours.

Do you see why I have to campaign for Crist now? I can't abide someone this stupid to be in a position to make serious decisions on behalf of Florida.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    wwtMask wrote: »
    Marco Rubio is a retard:
    I have a feeling the situation in Iran would be a little different if they had a 2nd amendment like ours.

Do you see why I have to campaign for Crist now? I can't abide someone this stupid to be in a position to make serious decisions on behalf of Florida.

Wait, what?

He thinks the issue is that Iranians don't have enough guns?

Evander on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Marco Rubio is a retard:

I have a feeling that if Rubio's idealization of the 2nd amendment was in place in Iran, most of the country would be dead.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Marco Rubio is a retard:

There's no way I'm giving that man any hits, but he's kind of got a point;

It would be a massive bloodbath with open warfare in the streets and thousands (if not millions) of civilian casualties at this point.

So, it would be different. Just not different the way he thinks.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    edited June 2009
    We already have a couple good examples of what Iran would look like with a high percentage of gun ownership: Iraq and Afghanistan.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Marco Rubio is a retard:

Man, there's no way Rubio will win this state. Do like me and let him win the Republican primary and laugh as he gets crushed in the general.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Marco Rubio is a retard:

There's no way I'm giving that man any hits, but he's kind of got a point;
    It's HuffPo, not his site.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Marco Rubio is a retard:

Man, there's no way Rubio will win this state. Do like me and let him win the Republican primary and laugh as he gets crushed in the general.

Are you kidding me? Who on the Democratic side can beat Rubio? He's Cuban, Republican, and has more name recognition than just about every Democrat in the state outside of maybe Alex Sink. The Senate race is going to be decided by the Republican primary, so if we have to have a Republican in the seat, let's at least have the least bad one.

wwtMask on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Marco Rubio is a retard:

I don't really get that mindset. I realize that I'm generally partisan, but the notion of try to get the worst candidate on the other side of the ticket in order to crush him just seems like a horrible gamble.

moniker on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

that's the one I got.

That was real, I think.

"Congressman, I just want to say that I'm sure you're not a terrorist. But, at the same time, when I look at you I can't help think to myself; 'is that member of congress a terrorist?'"

It was one of the most cringeworthy youtube clips I've ever seen, including the one of my nephew breaking his arm skateboarding.

No you're right its real and its with the only ever (so far) Muslim member of Congress, Representative Ellison.

Glenn Beck all up in Bigottown

ed
    Nitpick: Andre Carson is also Muslim.
    Huh, some how I completely missed him. Pretty cool.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    edited June 2009

that's the one I got.

That was real, I think.

No you're right its real and its with the only ever (so far) Muslim member of Congress, Representative Ellison.
    Nitpick: Andre Carson is also Muslim.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

that's the one I got.

That was real, I think.

I'm curious to see how Beck's account stacks up to this (the book is at home)

Evander on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

There is not enough D: on the internet.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Marco Rubio is a retard:
    Man, there's no way Rubio will win this state. Do like me and let him win the Republican primary and laugh as he gets rushed in the general.

Are you kidding me? Who on the Democratic side can beat Rubio? He's Cuban, Republican, and has more name recognition than just about every Democrat in the state outside of maybe Alex Sink. The Senate race is going to be decided by the Republican primary, so if we have to have a Republican in the seat, let's at least have the least bad one.
    Plenty of time between now and November 2010 to raise the profile of Sink or Meek or whoever gets the nomination.
    moniker wrote:
    I don't really get that mindset. I realize that I'm generally partisan, but the notion of try to get the worst candidate on the other side of the ticket in order to crush him just seems like a horrible gamble.
    Generally the idea is that it's not a gamble, because the other guy could not possibly get elected.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    afhgahjgjagj

Glenn Beck is the only person I've ever truly wanted to be violent against and feel right for wanting to do so.

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    moniker wrote:
    Generally the idea is that it's not a gamble, because the other guy could not possibly get elected.

Pride goeth before the fall. Plus this ignores the very basic reality that elections are nearly predetermined by factors far outside of your own control, and that candidate personality and views play a much smaller part than most people like to believe. I'd much rather have two good candidates. That way the State doesn't suffer unduly.

moniker on
  • Options
    RussellRussell Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    moniker wrote: »

*Youtube*

There is not enough D: on the internet.

I almost forgot about that clip.

Glenn Beck is unhinged.

Russell on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Well, I guess there's another chit to add onto the "Glenn Beck is an idiot and quite possibly mentally imbalanced" pile. It's damn near up to the ceiling now.

Duffel on
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    I'd always hoped he was paid to say and do these awful things.

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    For a fun thought experiment, replace every mention of Islam in that interview with Christianity and do the mental math on how long the person who said the resulting things would remain on TV.

Edit: Apparently Mark "Fuck The Stimulus Money" Sanford has disappeared. Awesome.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    edited June 2009
    Also, I'd like to add, I'm from Minnesota and no one gave a shit that he was Muslim.

Only douchebags on the national level made a big deal of it.

Russell on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Marco Rubio is a retard:
    Man, there's no way Rubio will win this state. Do like me and let him win the Republican primary and laugh as he gets rushed in the general.

Plenty of time between now and November 2010 to raise the profile of Sink or Meek or whoever gets the nomination.
    moniker wrote:

Sink is running for Governor, so no dice there. Kendrick Meek isn't well known outside of south FL. He'd need some serious backing (like, Obama would probably have to come down to stump for him) to overcome Rubio's significant advantages, and even then there's no guarantee. If the seat was up in 2012, I'd give Meek a very good chance of winning because he'd be down ballot on an Obama re-election ticket. I don't see turnout favoring Democrats in a mid-term. Florida is still Republican leaning, despite going for Obama last year.

wwtMask on
  • Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Disappeared? What the hell? A governor just vanished into thin air?

Duffel on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Supposedly he's taking a break to "recharge"

http://www.wistv.com/global/story.asp?s=10574191

Russell on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    For a fun thought experiment, replace every mention of Islam in that interview with Christianity and do the mental math on how long the person who said the resulting things would remain on TV.

Edit: Apparently Mark "Fuck The Stimulus Money" Sanford has disappeared. Awesome.

He's in an undisclosed and secure location.

wwtMask on
This discussion has been closed.