As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines | Team Jacob and Team Edward Eaten by Tzimisces

TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEONRegistered User regular
edited May 2011 in Games and Technology
bannercvf.jpg

What is Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines (V:TM-B)?
Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines is the 2004 action RPG made by Troika games, which, before it went out of business, shat out gold bricks encased in software bugs. V:TM - B uses the Source engine and takes place in White Wolf's Old World of Darkness (oWoD) which is just like our world except dark. And monsters exist! Like vampires.

This sucks (NO PUN INTENDED) for almost everyone, even the vampires sort of, but in V:TM - B you're a vampire and you get to use your superhuman vampire powers to try to figure out what the hell is going on after you wake up one day and find out that you've been turned into a creature of the night. Set in Los Angeles, you get to visit places like Santa Monica and Hollywood, interact with interesting, well-written and awesomely-voiced characters, and sink your teeth (NO PUN INTENDED) into the awesome story and the excitement of being immortal.

The gameplay is a lot like Deus Ex: you're more or less free to explore the various hubs, picking up side quests and exploring areas and doing missions for people, but the main quest moves you along a more or less linear path (although you have tons of choices along the way). The plot deals with a sarcophogoausous (that might not be the correct spelling) and vampire politics and vampire ninjas and weresharks and werewolves and lesbians and ghosts and all sorts of amazing things, and the facial animation will suck you in (NO PUN INTENDED) to the one of the most detailed, well-written games in forever.

How do I play?
Step one: Buy the game! Steam has it and it's fully compatible with the fan patches (more on that later). You could wait until Halloween when it customarily goes on sale but honestly it's one of the best games ever made so buying it now isn't a bad idea.

Steam will patch it but otherwise you'll desperately need the 1.2 patch. It's included in the unofficial patches though, which you should probably grab unless you're Cardboard Tube.

The World of Darkness is a dangerous place, even for vampires, and it's even more dangerous when it crashes all the time. Because this is a Troika game, it's buggy, and because Troika went out of business, it stayed buggy even after 1.2. This is where the fan patches come in. It's possible to play more or less without them, but you have a chance of running into a crash bug that will end your game or some crap like that, so really, why bother unless you're Cardboard Tube or a masochist (these coincide)?

This is the place to pick up the latest patch.

To make a long, tedius, emo-goth-nerdrage-sexually-repressed-internet-dork-developer-intent-penandpaper-balance debate short, you basically just want to download the latest patch by Wesp and install it. When asked, go for the bugfix install, not the "Plus" install, which changes a bunch of stuff that you can bother with on your 4th time through or whatever.

Are you sure I should buy this?
Yeah you should definitely get the game. Here are some of the people you'll meet:

42597952.jpg
Velvet Velour - Velvet is a beautiful woman who only wants to have sex with you. She will never ask you for a favor and would not think of manipulating you.

mingx.jpg
Ming Xiao - Ming is a beautiful woman who only wants to have sex with you. She is inherently trustworthy and has your best interests at heart.

heatheru.jpg
Heather - Heather is a beautiful mortal woman whose life you can save if you want to. She only wants to have sex with you. Despite your status as an inhuman monster who feeds on the blood of the living to survive, she is grateful that you saved her life and spends most of the game living contentedly under your protection. Life is pretty awesome for her and she doesn't really have many of the problems that other characters in the game do.

venusy.jpg
Venus - Venus is a beautiful woman who wants to have sex with you. She's a bartender in a club. She's not a very important character in the grand scheme of things but I remember being mesmerized by her breasts in the first footage of this game ever released. Couldn't find a good picture though.

jeanettetherese.jpg
Jeanette and Therese Voerman - Jeanette's the only one who wants to have sex with you but both are beautiful. These two sisters are major players in Santa Monica and they're all business. They've got it together and work together as a well oiled machine. Don't even worry about anything if you take a job from them: just do what they say and there won't be any complications. Do the work, get paid. If only everything were that simple.

lacroix.jpg
Sebastian LaCroix - LaCroix is the "prince" of Los Angeles and, being French, is a beautiful man who only wants to have sex with you. He is so powerful that he has no need to backstab or trick you and spends most of the game helping you out and being your pal.

jackpwf.jpg
Calico Jack the Pirate Captain of Yore - Also known as "Jack," his voice actor is the guy who did Bender in Futurama. He's the nicest of all the vampires, even though he doesn't want to have sex with you, and leads you through the tutorial. This is only the first of many times he does something nice for you without ever wanting anything in return. He keeps no secrets from you and is entirely selfless in his dealings with you.

Pretty much everyone you meet is this helpful. I didn't even mention the ghost of a serial killer who guides you through a rickety old hotel so that you don't fall through the stairs and hurt yourself, or the obliging werewolf who protects you when you're all alone in an observatory in the woods! There's even an insane scientist who opens his luxurious mansion to you so that you can be safe from a vampire hunter who wants to kill you with fire. Oh, also:

pisha.jpg
Pisha - Pisha eats people.

Those Guys are Neat but What About Me?
As I already mentioned, you play as a newly "embraced" vampire. Your sire gets the axe about 2 minutes into the game for breaking the "vampire society before hos" rule or something, and you're left to fend for yourself. Your choice of "clan" drastically changes your play style: a Ventrue will find easy acceptance into vampire society and will be able to manipulate mortals to do their bidding, whereas a Nosferatu will find himself confined to the sewer system so as not to violate the "Masquerade," the set of rules set up by vampires so that people don't figure out wtf is up (otherwise we'd have a mob scene on our hands).

Play as a Brujah and you'll basically get to punch a lot of people, play as a Toreador and make lovey-dovey eyes at stuff and recite bad poetry, or play as a Malkavian and be batshit insane. You will hear newscasters speak secret messages to you and you will have conversations with a stop sign (sample dialog choice). Other choices include vampires who use blood to do magic tricks that kill people and vampires that have dreadlocks.

You can choose to be a melee character or a ranged combat character (the choice is a little more nuanced) but like, say, Deus Ex, the fun isn't from the combat but from the deep, intricate world, the story and characters, and the voice acting, although in this case it's fantastic voice acting instead of hilariously bad.

More Info Tell me more about the World of Darkness
This Wiki has a lot of fun info and we've got some WoD scholars here on the forums. Fun fact: White Wolf, the WoD guys, got bought by the people who made EvE, and now they're making an MMO in the "New World of Darkness (nWoD)" which is similar to oWoD but smells like a new car.

I have a 64 bit OS and V:TM - B doesn't like me
Have I got a link for you!

TychoCelchuuu on

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    It's decision time: right now the thread title says "unmarked spoilers" but we have a chance to change the policy to marking spoilers. I vote we mark 'em; makes it nice for newbies and I don't mind clicking spoiler tags.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    :lol: at the profiles, but you forgot one special lady.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gl5vdnBE7w

Well, technically two of them.
    Technically.

And I say err on the side of caution: tag spoilers, especially if we're going to get new players in on it.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    Giving the discussion in the last thread, I'm suprised heather isn't in that list.

Otherwise nice.

Morkath on
  • Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Yay, nice and fresh. Nice OP too1

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'm ok either way. I've played the game 1 1/2 times so whichever you guys want is fine. I vote to mark them though.

Tcheldor on
    League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Btw, if it hasn't been mentioned yet, the SA Let's Play of this game is great.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Aistan did his own LP of it here which is even better, because it's from the perspective of one BS loco Malkavian.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Aight topic title changed to "mark spoilers." Let's keep it that way for at least a little while. This is a nice chance to get your friends who haven't played the game to play the game! Why? I dunno, it's always a nice time.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    Doctor FinkDoctor Fink Bishounen Chewbacca Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So, I'm trying to decide wether to make a computer whiz, blood magician Tremere or a kung-fu Malkavian.

Your thoughts?

Doctor Fink on
    PSN: Doctor_Fink / Xbox Live:LieutenantDef / Steam: Doctor Fink
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Why pick, when you can be all three.

Well, maybe not Malkavian. But you can act crazy!

If it's your first run, don't play a Malkavian. Save it for the next one so you can appreciate all the fine print.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    If you've never done it as a Malkavian that's always a safe choice.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Take the powergaming route and make a computer whiz blood magician kung fu Tremere.

WhiteZinfandel on
  • Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    It's kind of interesting that you used VV in the OP. I never really knew what to think of her.
    On the one hand, she's not nearly as manipulative as most of the vampires you run into, and beneath her facade she actually does seem to have some fondness for you (at least, provided that you help her and Ash out). She's also one of the most human vampires you run into and, beyond staying alive, she doesn't seem very interested in playing the unending game of Jyhad that I'd gotten sucked into. Helping someone whose motivations were comprehensible ("I just don't wanna die") was almost a relief after getting ordered around by people like LaCroix.

On the other hand I got really sick of her obnoxious Toreador bullshit (even when playing as a Toreador). No, honey, you aren't a "dancer", you're a stripper who shakes her tits at rich, fat old men and gets paid a lot of money to do it. This does not make you an artist. I also thought the fact that she thought a pitiful hack like David Hatter was a "creative genius" made me want to laugh my ass off, and I couldn't help but wonder if other Toreadors had such low standards.

Mostly, I came away from it thinking that even bit players who really don't matter in the grand scheme of the game (you could easily miss Vesuvius and never even know it) were more complex and interesting than your average main characters in other games.

Also, her club had one of the better musical pieces in the game (at least one of the better pieces composed specifically for it).

Duffel on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Toreadors are easily entranced by artists, if they have at least some talent. Even if Hatter's actual screenplay was crap(which I'm sure it was), if he had the ability to write one, I'm sure VV swooned over it.

Ha, updated OP is made of even more win :^:
    God that last picture freaked me out.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Doctor FinkDoctor Fink Bishounen Chewbacca Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    This isn't my first time at the Bloodlines rodeo. I've played Malk once or twice, but never got around to finishing it.

Maybe I could do a delirious-Bruce Lee-hacker-Tremere mofo. That'd be pretty interesting.

Doctor Fink on
    PSN: Doctor_Fink / Xbox Live:LieutenantDef / Steam: Doctor Fink
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I should really try playing a Tremere sometime.

Pony on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Wow, I just realized that girl in the OP artwork is Jeanette. I think.

The concept art in general is pretty awesome.

My favorites are their Beckett, Nines, and Tremere female PC:
    vent.jpg

beckett.jpg

nines-1.jpg

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The female Tremere looks so nerdy.

Duffel on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Tremere females are usually that way.

aisling1.jpg

Aisling's boring though.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Wow, I just realized that girl in the OP artwork is Jeanette. I think.

Yeah, definitely Jeanette, or at least proto-Jeanette. She's on the box art too:
    vampire-the-mas.jpg

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'm really ready to give this another go. At first the bugs stopped me. Then on my second attempt my computer completely died. So yeah, everything I saw on that second attempt was a ton of fun, and I think it's time to get down to business.

So, about the fan patches you linked. I didn't see any actual download links. I'd click on the (apparent) link to the latest patch, and get a little page with some stuff on it and no links provided under the download location. Any ideas? Is the site just momentarily borked or am I fail?

Drake on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Here's another patch site:

http://www.planetvampire.com/bloodlines/

It also has the infamous fan patch, so install that one at your own risk.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    valtzyvaltzy Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Playing this game really shows how depressingly terrible fallout 3 and other modern RPGs are. Where have all the writers gone, jesus christ.

valtzy on
  • Options
    gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    more like (Deus Ex + Vampires) ^ Bugs

gtrmp on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Drake wrote: »
    I'm really ready to give this another go. At first the bugs stopped me. Then on my second attempt my computer completely died. So yeah, everything I saw on that second attempt was a ton of fun, and I think it's time to get down to business.

So, about the fan patches you linked. I didn't see any actual download links. I'd click on the (apparent) link to the latest patch, and get a little page with some stuff on it and no links provided under the download location. Any ideas? Is the site just momentarily borked or am I fail?

Download link works for me. Here it is direct.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    valtzy wrote: »
    Playing this game really shows how depressingly terrible fallout 3 and other modern RPGs are. Where have all the writers gone, jesus christ.

They're working on Alpha Protocol.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I played through to the end with just the Troika 1.2 patch and don't remember any bugs other than at the final Sabbat building when
    they kill Heather

I went back after the fight and she was just standing there. Hardly gamebreaking.

TL DR on
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Drake wrote: »

Download link works for me. Here it is direct.

Awesome. It did start working for me after a few more tries, so I guess the site was borked somehow. Thanks the link anyway though.

Now just to download that, and redownload the game off of Steam. My ISP is just going to love me. By love, I mean throttling my bandwidth. I hate my ISP.

Drake on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Aistan did his own LP of it here which is even better, because it's from the perspective of one BS loco Malkavian.

link?!

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Bought this recently, just making my way through it now. I'm playing as a Toreador who apparently wants to be a ninja, and I'm currently at the museum. I'm not using the unofficial patch, and haven't hit any game-breaking bugs... yet.

I'm probably tempting fate, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Burnage on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    i was playing the game for a bit

got up to the end of the downtown quests

then decided to install the fan patch and start over because histories and shit looked rad

aaaaaand the fan patch made it so you can't go up in the elevator to take to jeanette

which basically stopped the main quest

so

the fan patch pretty much broke the whole game for me

so fuck it

Pony on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Heir wrote: »

link?!

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=41386

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Pony wrote: »
    i was playing the game for a bit

got up to the end of the downtown quests

then decided to install the fan patch and start over because histories and shit looked rad

aaaaaand the fan patch made it so you can't go up in the elevator to take to jeanette

which basically stopped the main quest

so

the fan patch pretty much broke the whole game for me

so fuck it

I had that problem briefly. Reloading fixed it.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    my version 1.2 crashes every once in a while, but it's no biggie

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'm so glad I finally decided to finish the game as a Malkavian. In the span of 10 minutes I've managed to
    Tell Beckett to drop the Sarcophogaus in the night return slot of the Ventrue tower when he finds it, tell Lacroix that the Museum was fun, but only because of the dinosaurs, and convince Samantha from when you were kine that I am her pet turtle and was in fact only sleeping when she flushed me down the toilet. So awesome.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Heir wrote: »

link?!

Someone linked you but it happens to be in the OP too.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    valtzy wrote: »

Not only does it have an interesting story and characters, but the combat is actually really fun. I never really get tired of leaping on people and sucking their blood. The thing about an "action RPG" is that the action part has to be good.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I don't know if I would say the combat in this game is fun, exactly, but it has it's moments. Notably feeding and suprisekilling a dude with the bush hook.

Also I wish there were more people who had an 'oh goddammit you're a malk' response, but I guess that's asking for a lot of additional writing.

edit: one of the alltime great things to do is feed on a guy in such a way that he is between you and some guys shooting at you with guns. They will shoot their buddy rather than let him be drained!

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Dyscord wrote: »
    I don't know if I would say the combat in this game is fun, exactly, but it has it's moments. Notably feeding and suprisekilling a dude with the bush hook.

Also I wish there were more people who had an 'oh goddammit you're a malk' response, but I guess that's asking for a lot of additional writing.

edit: one of the alltime great things to do is feed on a guy in such a way that he is between you and some guys shooting at you with guns. They will shoot their buddy rather than let him be drained!

I've actually been rather surprised by how many "oh hey you're a malk" responses there are. Even if it's not a big thing it's there on a lot of people. Isaac says something like "Your clan does have a good sense of humor", and a lot of people comment on your foresight. Not to mention all of the dementia opportunities which sometimes have a lot bigger impact than persuasion would, and are always more hilarious.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I kinda want to play the first half of the game again, because at first I didn't realize the red options were dementation. I thought they were intimidation or something, which I didn't have any points in so I didn't use.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg